IGNORED

College Admissions Scandal: Felicity Huffman Arrested!

Howl

1 hour ago, theotherelise said:

Totally different snark, but snark all the same: this Olivia Jade (daughter of Lori Loughlin and Mossimo guy) drives me crazy on her youtube channel and not (just) because she is a spoiled brat. No, the thing that really gets me is that she constantly looks at herself in the viewfinder. Pic in spoiler...

Hide contents

500248845_image(1).thumb.png.2b98f327913892283a4aacb64fd8c6be.png

It's seriously all the time. Girl, turn that viewfinder around if you cannot stop looking at it. I have watched a lot of YT in my day, and it's a huge pet peeve of mine. Talk to the camera!

"blinging on a budget"? ? As if this girl needs to budget.

• Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, Dreadcrumbs said:

"blinging on a budget"? ? As if this girl needs to budget.

How is this girl popular? She doesn’t seem relatable at all. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 7

3 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

How is this girl popular? She doesn’t seem relatable at all. 

It's the money. It's hard to understand if you're unimpressed.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

36 minutes ago, Dreadcrumbs said:

It's the money. It's hard to understand if you're unimpressed.

It’s just so sad that our culture is somehow impressed by people who basically won the genetic lottery. Like why is it so impressive that a girl born into wealth with good looking parents is actually wealthy and good looking? I imagine she would have to try really hard to fuck her life up completely.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

She is hot, rich, mom is a “star”.Unthreatening to guys and will probably become a trophy wife to another corrupt CEO.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

19 hours ago, FullOfGravy said:

Based on teaching at a Canadian university, and just off the top of my head: 

I also teach at a Canadian uni and I don't think this will get you all the way through uni. Few classes have all those things you mention (online quizzes not done in class time, assignments, and don't forget group work etc.) especially after first year. Exams start off being about 20% (midterm) and 40% (final) but keep increasing up to fourth year. To be fair, I'm in the sciences and it's hard to fake lab reports, individual oral presentations, etc. The student success offices may give you more freedom for time on midterms etc but they will also watch you like a hawk that you're actually doing the work!

That said, I think most people who are average intelligence or above could do fine at university, if they put the work in. I'm guessing a lot of these rich kids don't, can't, or won't.

ETA: Forgot to say, I'm very happy that Ontario has a relatively simple central admissions program for all public universities!

Edited by PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea
forgot some stuff
  • Upvote 7

21 minutes ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

To be fair, I'm in the sciences and it's hard to fake lab reports, individual oral presentations, etc. 

Harder. But certainly can be done, especially in the early years with lab reports. Later years agreed it's much harder, and if you didn't understand the concepts from the early years because you just faked the lab reports then it's harder still.

23 minutes ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

ETA: Forgot to say, I'm very happy that Ontario has a relatively simple central admissions program for all public universities!

Same here (Australia). Out of the system now but the teritary ranking system, flawed as it is, is a bit harder to cheat on. We still have a buy-your-way-in option for wealthier people who didn't get the required score for a government subsidised place but are willing to pay the full fees instead (sigh). And there are still cheating cases heard every year, mostly involving people being paid to take exams in place of someone, or people submitting work portfolios that aren't theirs. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I also don't like how schools in my area are now pushing all students to take an AP class. 1. AP classes are rigorous classes that are not, and shouldn't be, designed for everyone. 2. It's not fair to the kids who are college bound to have these classes watered down. AP classes are a great way to understand the pacing and structure of college courses. Also, some middle class and working class kids really need to get a 4 or a 5 on the exam because those credits save them a lot of money.

I took AP US history in 11th grade because I had done so well on the 10th grade world history course.  Looking back I think that was a mistake and I would've gotten out of the regular history class with an A.  I managed a high C in that AP course.  I didn't take the exam to get college credit.  But it did give me the idea of what college level courses would be like and I think helped out that first semester.

I went to the local community college after high school, and was accepted in to both local 4 year colleges I applied to.  I went with the one I did because of the financial aid and number of courses they let me transfer in.

I didn't have my parents helping too much with any of my schooling either.  It's all grants or loans.

• Upvote 4

37 minutes ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

I also teach at a Canadian uni and I don't think this will get you all the way through uni. Few classes have all those things you mention (online quizzes not done in class time, assignments, and don't forget group work etc.) especially after first year. Exams start off being about 20% (midterm) and 40% (final) but keep increasing up to fourth year. To be fair, I'm in the sciences and it's hard to fake lab reports, individual oral presentations, etc.

I started a BSc and hated it, did a BA and loved it, and am now in a ridiculously interdisciplinary department that's technically in the humanities faculty, but has people funded by all three Tri-Council agencies.  My research is on the sciencey side; I tend to teach on the humanities side.  I can definitely see upper-level science courses being harder to cheat, but in some of the humanities, upper-year courses could just as easily have papers instead of exams, and discussions instead of presentations.  I doubt it's possible to get all the way through without any effort at all on the student's part, but I'd bet that someone with more money than scruples could spend four years paying to have a significant portion of the work done for them.

I don't like the "humanities degrees are easy/for slackers" stereotype, because if you do put in the work, there's plenty of it, and useful knowledge and skills to be gained.  I do have to admit, though, that the type of work and some of the subject matter are easier to fake than some of the hard sciences.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

Here’s the partial list of all the people involved:

William "Rick" Singer, 58, of Newport Beach, California, owner of the Edge College & Career Network and CEO of the Key Worldwide Foundation, was charged in an information with racketeering conspiracy, money laundering conspiracy, conspiracy to defraud the United States, and obstruction of justice.

Mark Riddell, 36, of Palmetto, Florida, was charged in an information with conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud as well as conspiracy to commit money laundering.

Rudolph “Rudy” Meredith, 51, of Madison, Connecticut, the former head women’s soccer coach at Yale University, was charged in an information with conspiracy to commit wire fraud and honest services wire fraud as well as honest services wire fraud.

John Vandemoer, 41, of Stanford, California, the former sailing coach at Stanford University, was charged in an information with racketeering conspiracy.

David Sidoo, 59, of Vancouver, British Columbia, was charged in an indictment with conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud. Sidoo was arrested Friday in San Jose, California, and appeared in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California on Monday. A date for his initial appearance in federal court in Boston has not been scheduled.

Michael Center, 54, of Austin, Texas, head coach of men’s tennis at the University of Texas at Austin, was charged in a criminal complaint with conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud.

Igor Dvorskiy, 52, of Sherman Oaks, California, director of a private elementary and high school in Los Angeles and a test administrator for the College Board and ACT.

Gordon Ernst, 52, of Chevy Chase, Maryland, former head coach of men and women’s tennis at Georgetown University.

William Ferguson, 48, of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, former women’s volleyball coach at Wake Forest University.

Martin Fox, 62, of Houston, president of a private tennis academy in Houston.

Donna Heinel, 57, of Long Beach, California, the senior associate athletic director at the University of Southern California.

Laura Janke, 36, of North Hollywood, California, former assistant coach of women’s soccer at the University of Southern California.

Ali Khoroshahin, 49, of Fountain Valley, California, former head coach of women’s soccer at the University of Southern California.

Steven Masera, 69, of Folsom, California, accountant and financial officer for the Edge College & Career Network and the Key Worldwide Foundation.

Jorge Salcedo, 46, of Los Angeles, former head coach of men’s soccer at the University of California at Los Angeles.

Mikaela Sanford, 32, of Folsom, California, employee of the Edge College & Career Network and the Key Worldwide Foundation.

Jovan Vavic, 57, of Rancho Palos Verdes, California, former water polo coach at the University of Southern California.

Niki Williams, 44, of Houston, assistant teacher at a Houston high school and test administrator for the College Board and ACT.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 9

All those kids should be kicked out and if they want to reenroll they have to go through the admission process all over again.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

14 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I don’t think most of these people are that level of rich. Endowments are millions and millions.

Couldn't they endow a small building? A bathroom cubicle? A shelf?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 6

A sliding scale? This upper middle class parent could person could afford to endow a fancy new urinal! This one a bunch of books with lots pictures so like the rich kids don’t get stressed from all the scary words! 

• Haha 7

I just came over from the ZZ and PPP thread and the difference is striking; how far some people go to ensure their children don’t have access to education and what others are willing to do for the sake of getting their kids admitted to uni. Both extremes are wrong, of course, and both hurt the children. In the case at hand, it is sad to think of those who can’t get a spot in an ivory league college cause of corruption. Also, just imagine what Lori Loughlin’s daughters are going through right now (my sympathy for her is rather limited). This kind of public humiliation is incredibly difficult to come to terms with I’m sure. 

On a different note, I’m a little sad to hear LL is involved. I used to like her since Full House and now started with When Calls the Heart on Netflix. Both in her roles and in interviews, she seemed relatable and I always enjoyed her on screen. Sad to have some other thoughts now whenever “Aunt Becky” is on. 

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • Upvote 5

Now someone has to write a fanfic about Good old Aunt Becky “helping” that enormously annoying spoiled Michelle into college :)

• Haha 10

21 minutes ago, FluffySnowball said:

I just came over from the ZZ and PPP thread and the difference is striking; how far some people go to ensure their children don’t have access to education and what others are willing to do for the sake of getting their kids admitted to uni. Both extremes are wrong, of course, and both hurt the children. In the case at hand, it is sad to think of those who can’t get a spot in an ivory league college cause of corruption. Also, just imagine what Lori Loughlin’s daughters are going through right now (my sympathy for her is rather limited). This kind of public humiliation is incredibly difficult to come to terms with I’m sure. 

On a different note, I’m a little sad to hear LL is involved. I used to like her since Full House and now started with When Calls the Heart on Netflix. Both in her roles and in interviews, she seemed relatable and I always enjoyed her on screen. Sad to have some other thoughts now whenever “Aunt Becky” is on. 

Take a look at her kids and you won't like her anymore.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 7

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

Michael Center, 54, of Austin, Texas, head coach of men’s tennis at the University of Texas at Austin, was charged in a criminal complaint with conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud.

As noted upthread, this guy will lose his $232,000/year coaching job and possibly a huge pension; he's had 19 years on the job. 

The other shock is that he was making $232,000 a year coaching women's tennis.  That is almost twice the salary of the highest paid faculty member in the department I worked for at UT Austin. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 9

I’ve come across some really nice and well meaning mothers that basically fuck up their kids because they raise them to be entitled brats. It’s kind of sad to see. Because by the time they realize they have raised entitled brats, it’s almost too late. 

• Upvote 6

This story is getting shared around Facebook. A mom used a fake address to get her kids into a different district. She got three years probation plus a shit ton of fines. 

I hope all 50 of these scammers get three or more years. 

https://abcnews.go.com/US/ohio-mom-jailed-sending-kids-school-district/story?id=12763654

Edited by DangerNoodle
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

30 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Take a look at her kids and you won't like her anymore.

I already stopped yesterday (that’s when I first read about the scandal unfolding). What I mean is just that as a fan of Full House, she was one of the only actresses I actually liked*. I never kept up with news and gossip about her, didn’t even follow her on Instagram or so, but I guess she embodied a wholesome and cozy feeling - now, of course, that’s out the window.

* That’s not to say that I dislike all other actors. But for me, seeing particular actors just isn’t that important so as long as i enjoy a movie, I’m happy. 

Edited by FluffySnowball

6 minutes ago, DangerNoodle said:

This story is getting shared around Facebook. A mom used a fake address to get her kids into a different district. She got three years probation plus a shit ton of fines. 

I hope all 50 of these scammers get three or more years. 

https://abcnews.go.com/US/ohio-mom-jailed-sending-kids-school-district/story?id=12763654

There is nothing equal about our justice system so its pretty likely that a lot of these people will get off easy. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 8

Popping in to say that I can’t take the image of Teri Hatcher in sunglasses and a trenchcoat calling the FBI from a phonebooth to snitch on Felicity. 

• Haha 14
  • Love 1

I empathize with the parents who are doing anything legal to help their kids though.  

My 16 year old son just stop doing his school work. He still goes to the school. He's just not doing work. Just stopped. I'm at my wit's end with it. I'm pushing him to drop out and go into Job Corps. Why are you going to school just to waste time doing nothing kid?!

Pretty much my best option for him was to go away to college. He can't even get a job living here because there is no transportation. And that nixes community college too. Basically his options are go away to college, the military or job corps. But as for now he's completely paused. It's infuriating. 

• Sad 13
  • Love 1

Will Lori Loughlin's daughter Olivia be expelled from USC? It's not fair that her daughter got into that school based on fraud. Lori Loughlin is married to the founder of Mossimo clothing and the family is extremely wealthy.

This scam is ridiculous but it's only the tip of the iceberg. As someone mentioned, look at Jared Kushner. He was not Harvard material and he only got in through his daddy's donations.
  • Jared Kushner and his brother only were able to start their own PRIVATE EQUITY FIRMS because DADDY FUNDED THEM. The Kushner children are big babies that ride off of daddy's success and their entire lifestyle is because of Daddy, much like Trump. I have no respect for popular model Karlie Kloss who chose to marry into that family.

Republicans complain all of the time about affirmative action instead of looking at the biggest scam in this country: LEGACY BASED ADMISSIONS TO IVY LEAGUE SCHOOLS AS WELL AS THE RICH PARENTS WHO DONATE MONEY TO GET THEIR KID INTO ANY COLLEGE THEY DONATE TO.

In order to help make this country a bit more "fair", legacy based admissions as well as admitting the kids of rich donors needs to STOP!
Also, there's a significant issue with the fact that the rich can afford thousands of dollars to spend on PRIVATE TUTORS to train their kids for the standardized exam compared to the parents who cannot afford to do so.
  • Additionally, the wealthy are "gaming the system" through the thousands of dollars they spend on hiring private coaches to train their kids in a sport also grant them admission, along with the standardized exam score and a six or seven figure donation to the college.
    • The offices of admissions at colleges admit to the fact that anyone who donates a large sum of money to the school increases their child's admission to the college...
Corrupt. Corrupt. Corrupt. It's disgusting. My husband is hispanic and went to an ivy-league school AND I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW MANY PEOPLE ATTEMPT TO SAY "OOOH HE ONLY GOT IN BECAUSE HE WAS HISPANIC..." How racist.
It's horrible! Why complain about POC who get into these schools when 30% of the entire class is only attending a competitive college BECAUSE THEIR WEALTHY PARENTS DONATED MONEY?!?!

Can you tell this topic gets me angry?
Agreed. This has been going on since the very inception of the university. If your daddy has money or your grandaddy went to Harvard; bam you're in Harvard. Most of us have taken this for granted, especially in the Ivy-League category. Frankly, I'm more surprised at the subterfuge that had to be undertaken. I thought deals were done with a wink and the endowment of a new chair or the building of a new hall. No fake photos necessary. I'm surprised this hit the news as it did. My first thought was, wait, how is this different from the last hundred years of university dealings.
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

Colleges need to undergo a complete renovation inside the office of admissions and all the way to the top. Being able to buy a building for a cool few million dollars to guarantee your kid admission to Harvard needs to stop.

Also, Rick Singer wasn't only involved with getting kids into the very top of the elite colleges. A wealthy parent used Rick to buy their kid a spot at Chapman university which is a great college but it's not at the same of level of elite as Stanford, for instance.

The ability to use money to buy anything you want is corrupt and a threat to everyone. I'm surprised that it's taken this long for people to get outraged about how corrupt college admissions are.

Why isn't the orange butt-hole ranting about this on Twitter today? Hmm...

Lori's lawyer was able to get her a delay in surrendering her passport (until December 2019) so she can travel to Canada to shoot a series for Hallmark.

What does everyone think is going to happen with Lori Loughlin and her contract with Hallmark? 

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 1