IGNORED

College Admissions Scandal: Felicity Huffman Arrested!

Howl

14 hours ago, SPHASH said:

Aunt Becky and Mossimo have pleaded not guilty.  Lots of hubris there.

They just ooze unearned entitlement. This basically ensures their kids will be deposed and, depending on what comes out there, potentially charged. Because le'ts be honest. Given how the parents have behaved, the kids would spill everything without understanding why their lawyers are turning funny colors. 

• Upvote 8

14 hours ago, freealljs said:

I don’t think that the outcome will be as favorable as Lori and Mossimo want or expect. 

I agree. I think they could be the only ones who actually get a real jail sentence. Felicity Huffman pleaded guilty and I think she will be sentenced to 4 months in prison and will get out after 1 month. I think LL and Moss with get worse. They are going to be sorry.

• Upvote 9

I haven’t really followed this closely. Glad Felicity has owned up to what she has done and has plead guilty. Hope her daughter can reapply and get into university under her own merits. There were 50 people charged. I hope the lesser well known cheats also get their just desserts. Especially the coaches or middlemen who set up the scams in the first place...

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Terrie said:

They just ooze unearned entitlement. This basically ensures their kids will be deposed and, depending on what comes out there, potentially charged. Because le'ts be honest. Given how the parents have behaved, the kids would spill everything without understanding why their lawyers are turning funny colors. 

I honestly don’t think the kids should be charged, regardless of what their parents plead.

and if they wouldn’t be charged only becusse their parents did X to protect them that’s not right imo.

i know legal adults and all that but at that age they are absolutely still trusting mom and dad on the big stuff.  Kids getting into college becusse money changed hands is nothing new and they should t have their futures ruined due to not being able to understand the consequences when adults with way more life experience clearly didn’t either.

The parents should have consequences for sure - but their kids shouldn’t be in jeopardy due to how they chose to proceed legally.

• Upvote 5

23 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I honestly don’t think the kids should be charged, regardless of what their parents plead.

My point here is that the parents are so full of themselves that they are setting up their kids to be charged. On if I agree with any charges brought against the kids will depend on what comes out in depostition and what the specific charges are. Since it wasn't the kids' money that was involved, I suspect that any charges brought will be much smaller and the type that result in community service than jail time. 

• Upvote 5

And the scuttlebutt according to People Mag is Olivia is very angry with her parents.  Hopefully she is angry enough to spill the beans on what she knew about the fraud and send them up the river.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

Even though OJ seems to be an entitled brat, she has every right to be pissed at her parents. At least she has her sister.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Even though OJ seems to be an entitled brat, she has every right to be pissed at her parents. At least she has her sister.

Definitely, even if I was innocent of a crime and pleading guilty meant I'd spare my child of getting into trouble, I would do it in a heartbeat. 

Lori and her husband are going to end up in more trouble and they may land their daughter's in it too. They have already had to leave college and have had death threats, they may have known what was going on but their parents were the ones ultimately responsible for what happened and they have been published enough.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

On 4/13/2019 at 5:47 AM, SPHASH said:

Candace Cameron Bure probably is, not sure about the rest.

Yeah, apparently Candace supported Trump:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.christianpost.com/amp/candace-cameron-bure-stephen-baldwin-celebrate-donald-trumps-presidential-victory-watch.html

I don’t know if she still does or not. 

I know Jodie Sweetin spoke out in support of Dr. Ford after Trump questioned why she didn’t tell anyone Kavanaugh assaulted her sooner. That doesn’t mean she didn’t still support him, but at least she spoke out about something. 

I haven’t watched the videos I googled, but from some of the descriptions I get the feeling that Bob Saget isn’t a fan. 

The Olsen twins are intensely private individuals and I honestly don’t blame them given how public their childhoods were. They rarely give interviews, I don’t think they have social media, and I haven’t seen either of them mention anything about politics explicitly. 

I’m not sure about the rest either. None of them seem to discuss politics publicly, which is their right. I kind of get the feeling Stamos isn’t a Trump fan, but I don’t have any proof of that. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

I have never gotten the vibe that John Stamos, Bob Saget, and Jodie Sweetin were fans of Trump. I will concede they aren't yet that openly political. Even if Candace isn't a Trump fan, I'm 90% certain she is a fan of Mike Pence who is worse than Trump due to I think Pence absolutely believes the hateful crap he spews. I think she leans fundie light more so than Chris Pratt. I just think she tries really, really hard to straddle Hollywood and worldly fundie lightism.  

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...

Felicity pled guilty then brought the waterworks to court

Felicity Huffman broke down crying before a federal judge Monday after she pleaded guilty to paying $15,000 to a fake charity that facilitated cheating when her daughter took the SATs for college admission.

When she appeared in court in Boston, prosecutors recommended a sentence of four months prison time for the "Desperate Housewives" TV star for her role in the college admissions scandal. They also suggested a $20,000 fine and 12 months of supervised release for the charge, which is a felony.

She will be sentenced September 13.

The charity was associated with Rick Singer, who has confessed to helping wealthy parents cheat on standardized tests for their children. Singer also bribed college coaches to falsely designate students as recruited athletes, smoothing their path to admission, a criminal complaint says.

You'll excuse me but it's time to whip this out and play it....

tinyviolin.png.2f1d398886a314c1046f0022716f9c87.png

Seriously, I have no sympathy for her or anyone else caught up in all this.

Edited by 47of74
forgot the link
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 2

She said her daughter has been getting extra time on her tests since she was 11 years old, so chances are her daughter really was unaware of everything. 

• Upvote 6

I give her some faint credit for pleading guilty, unlike some of the parents who were even more blatent in their cheating. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

On 4/16/2019 at 2:02 PM, Pecansforeveryone said:

I just think she tries really, really hard to straddle Hollywood and worldly fundie lightism.  

This has always been my impression too. Unlike Kirk, who is content to work in the fundegelical bad Christian movie genre, Candace wants to work in mainstream Hollywood. Also unlike Kirk, she seems to just be a nicer person, at least in the sense that I haven’t heard anything about her being too judgmental for others to work with her like he was in the last couple of years of Growing Pains. She seems able to interact with people who have different opinions, whereas Kirk seems to have the, “being seen with those sinners will affect my testimony” stance. I’m not excusing any of her views but assuming that Kirk and Candace have more or less the same opinions, their personalities must be the dividing line. 

As for the cheating scandal, Aunt Becky is a fool not to plead guilty. She’s going to be used as the poster child for the whole scandal and have the book thrown at her. I’m not a degreed law professional, so I don’t know if the kids should be charged or not. Wouldn’t it make a difference if they were minors or not? I’ve never heard of teens being sent to a federal prison.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

Candace Cameron Bure has also spoken at Liberty University giving her testimony and praising Liberty stating she would love it if her children went there. During her testimony, she mentioned Ray "Banana Man" Comfort as ministry being one influence who brought her to Christ. So yes, Candace has at least some shades of fundie mixed in with worldly polish, restraint, and tact. I think that we will see at least some of the Bates, maybe a Duggar or two drift into Candace Cameron Bure style fundism. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

At least Felicity is taking responsibility and her sentence will be lenient in accordance with her admitting her guilt. Lori and her husband will not be let off so lightly because they have refused to admit their guilt and their kids may even face charges now.

• Upvote 5

• 1 month later...

Lori's daughter said she didn't even want to go to college. I'm not shocked by this. In my area there was an SAT scandal. Upper class parents paid people to take their kids test or give them the answers. 

• Upvote 4

On 5/14/2019 at 10:38 AM, Cleopatra7 said:

I’ve never heard of teens being sent to a federal prison.

Teens would not be sent to a federal prison.....although they can be held in a juvenile detention center until they turn 18/21 and then transferred to a federal prison. 

This whole thing is very sad. Sad in that it shows "elite" colleges are all too often about being wealthy, not academically/athletically superior.  Sad in that the kids were so sheltered they didn't know anything about this or also sad that they had been raised by their parents to believe this kind of lying/bribery is "OK". Sad for anyone who could have been admitted on their own merits (and maybe was), who would have their achievement questioned. Sad for the kids who would have appreciated  the spot far more than some of the spoiled brats who got the spot over them. Sad that working people's tax money has to be spent prosecuting all of this, and then more spent in carrying out the appropriate punishments. Sad that even after all of this, many people will still ooooh and aaaaaah over someone who got their degree from an "elite" college over a normal state university. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, Mcnapple said:

This whole thing is very sad. Sad in that it shows "elite" colleges are all too often about being wealthy, not academically/athletically superior.  Sad in that the kids were so sheltered they didn't know anything about this or also sad that they had been raised by their parents to believe this kind of lying/bribery is "OK". Sad for anyone who could have been admitted on their own merits (and maybe was), who would have their achievement questioned. Sad for the kids who would have appreciated  the spot far more than some of the spoiled brats who got the spot over them. Sad that working people's tax money has to be spent prosecuting all of this, and then more spent in carrying out the appropriate punishments. Sad that even after all of this, many people will still ooooh and aaaaaah over someone who got their degree from an "elite" college over a normal state university. 

Olivia Jade's whole attitude about going to college was a slap in the face to those who worked hard and deserved a place at her college and couldn't get one. She bragged about going to college and not really caring about classes but about partying and other event's, she only apologised about saying that when people commented about how ungrateful she was.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

I'm recalling Martha Stewart.  She decided to get it over with, do her time and be done with it.  She has a successful Martha Stewart branded empire and hardly anyone remembers that she went to prison, or if they remember, they don't care about it now. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

@Howl, she even named one of her beloved French bulldogs Francesca after a sister inmate.  

I wonder if we'd have the wonderful and funny show that she does with Snoop Dog on VH1 if not for her prison stint.  

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

On 6/20/2019 at 8:37 PM, Howl said:

I'm recalling Martha Stewart... hardly anyone remembers that she went to prison, or if they remember, they don't care about it now. 

I always find it so weird that everyone is okay with her! I'm a Martha grudge holder, I guess. White collar criminals seem to get off so lightly.

• Upvote 1

On 6/20/2019 at 8:37 PM, Howl said:

I'm recalling Martha Stewart.  She decided to get it over with, do her time and be done with it.  She has a successful Martha Stewart branded empire and hardly anyone remembers that she went to prison, or if they remember, they don't care about it now. 

Because of the high expectation that going to college especially an elite one is a ticket to a better life, the admissions scandal is rile people up in a way that insider trading won’t. A lot of people want to believe that the college admissions process is meritocratic (spoiler: it’s not), and such a blatant attempt to game the system and maybe their own kids who are also apply to these same schools will be more offensive than other types of white collar crime. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

On 6/19/2019 at 6:17 AM, Glasgowghirl said:

Olivia Jade's whole attitude about going to college was a slap in the face to those who worked hard and deserved a place at her college and couldn't get one. She bragged about going to college and not really caring about classes but about partying and other event's, she only apologised about saying that when people commented about how ungrateful she was.

She does seem like a vacuous nitwit, but she did say she didn't want to go to college. Her parents pressured her into going. She wanted to do her "influencing." Stupid as that seems to me, appears to be a real passion for her.

In some ways, she seems the most honest of the bunch. She did not want to go to college. She thought college was stupid. So she said so. It's not a popular opinion, but it was honest.

Her parents, though. . . I suspect the dad ignored the kids during their childhood, and then woke up to find they had mediocre grades and couldn't get into the local status school, USC. So they decided to buy their way in.

Lori and her husband show such a lack of respect for higher education. That's what struck me the most, the lack of respect. Some people actually value education and teach their kids to do so. Those kids would appreciate what USC (and also ASU) have to offer. It's not a game that you play to get a certain name. It's a place of education that you should attend if you earned the grades and have something you want to study at that particular school

Edited by Hisey
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

Olivia Jade posted on Instagram a picture of herself sticking two fingers up and then tagged tabloids and news sites as if it's their fault her parent's broke the law. I am far from a fan of tabloid's but they were only reporting on the crimes that her parent's and others commited. At least Felicity Huffman and most of the others accused have held their hands up and have taken responsibility for what they did. I did have a small bit of sympathy for Olivia Jade in the beginning, as annoying as she is it was her parent's that were ones making her go to college in the first place but not anymore.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 3