IGNORED

College Admissions Scandal: Felicity Huffman Arrested!

Howl

Me, as a high school student: I will take everyone's standardized tests and love every minute of it if you pose as me to participate in group projects. My parents never thought to pay someone to do this for me, though, so I had to suffer through group participation.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 10

23 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The time limit was very rarely enforced because there was more than enough time for everyone to finish. I know this because I was always one of the last to finish. And I always had enough time. They didn’t give tests that weren’t meant to be finished like the ACTs. They were designed to be finished. And typically everyone did finish. If something was left blank, it was by choice. Not because they ran out of time. I don’t see the point of a test like the ACTs to be designed not to be finished. 

But that is not the same thing as having no time limit, which is what you keep insisting.

I never took the ACT (I lived in SAT country growing up), but I am pretty sure both of my kids finished the test.  It may have changed since then -- my kids would have taken it in the mid-to-late aughts --  but I never heard anyone say the test was designed so that no one could finish it.

23 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Maybe I can explain it better by example. If a test is 10 short multiple choice questions and technically you have an hour to take it because class time is one hour, that is long enough to read every single question multiple times and check it all over with time to spare. Let’s say Everyone gets done in 20 minutes max. Sure you can call it timed because you have an hour. But why bother? It was designed for all students to have more than enough time to finish. When I took tests in school (that were not standardized tests), they were designed to give students more than enough time to finish. This example is not including students with special needs. 

Clearly we are using two different definitions of time limit.

Edited by zeebaneighba
grammar
  • Upvote 3

I’m genuinely regretting saying anything at all about timed tests at this point. Can we move on? I would legit rather talk about circumcision at this point. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Love 9

I’m genuinely regretting saying anything at all about timed tests at this point. Can we move on? I would legit rather talk about circumcision at this point. 

Or zip then button or button then zip?

Or less filling, tastes great?

Or if Trump is the biggest fucking idiot only in the solar system or the entire galaxy?
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 9

5 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Or zip then button or button then zip?

Or less filling, tastes great?

Or if Trump is the biggest fucking idiot only in the solar system or the entire galaxy?

We could even talk about which way the toilet paper roll should go! Over or under! I say over. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

We could even talk about which way the toilet paper roll should go! Over or under! I say over. 

(whispers) Just don't say d*vet vs. c*mf*rter.

• Haha 24

6 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

(whispers) Just don't say d*vet vs. c*mf*rter.

I saw part of that discussion and I was so NOT interested. I had no idea how it got so serious. 

• Haha 4

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

I saw part of that discussion and I was so NOT interested. I had no idea how it got so serious. 

I learned two new words from all that:  doona and Bettdecke. They're the Australian and German words for duvet. That's pretty much all I took away from all those pages and pages of discussion.

And maybe a tendency to smirk if the topic comes up again, like a special FJ jack-in-the-box. :pb_lol:

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I learned two new words from all that:  doona and Bettdecke. They're the Australian and German words for duvet. That's pretty much all I took away from all those pages and pages of discussion.

And maybe a tendency to smirk if the topic comes up again, like a special FJ jack-in-the-box. :pb_lol:

Maybe I don’t understand the discussion because I’m a quilt girl. Quilts are the superior bed covering. 

ETA: uh oh did I just start something? Will duvet lovers come out of the woodwork and we will all start dance fighting like the Jets and the Sharks? 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Haha 11
  • I Agree 2

2 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Maybe I don’t understand the discussion because I’m a quilt girl. Quilts are the superior bed covering

I'm flexible. There are things I like and dislike about thin or thick bedspreads, quilts, comforters, down duvets, and just a pile of blankets. 

And maybe I'd better let this go before someone starts snapping their fingers and singing "Cool". :pb_biggrin:

Spoiler

• Haha 5
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Quilts are the superior bed covering. 

You can have my duvet when you pry it from my warm, sleeping hands.

(Seriously, though, whether or not I sleep with a quilt, I really want to learn to make them.  Don't currently have the money for supplies or the space, but some day.)

6 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

we will all start dance fighting like the Jets and the Sharks? 

*Snaps pillowcase rhythmically*

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 9
  • Love 2

Or how about: When you put on socks and shoes, do you go sock-sock-shoe-shoe, or sock-shoe-sock-shoe?

• Haha 10

9 minutes ago, PopRox said:

Or how about: When you put on socks and shoes, do you go sock-sock-shoe-shoe, or sock-shoe-sock-shoe?

sock-sock-shoe-shoe all the way

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 10
  • Thank You 1

13 minutes ago, PopRox said:

Sock-sock-shoe-shoe always

• I Agree 5

I am the heathen sock-shoe, sock-shoer your mother warned you about. I have to work to get my leg up and it hurts my back, so I try to do everything at once while my leg is up there.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 8

45 minutes ago, PopRox said:

Sandals!! 

OK, when I have to wear enclosed shoes it's... no idea actually. Depends on the day, probably both.

• Haha 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

17 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

That's not really timed testing though, its just practicality.

(Referring to classroom tests being limited to the class period.)

How is “practicality” different from “timed” in any meaningful way? How is the timing of standardized tests not also practical?

There has to be a point at which the test stops. What would “not timed” look like to you? When can teachers/invigilators go home? When can the janitor start cleaning? I don’t think you actually mean “no stop time at all”; I think you must mean “ample time.” Do you?

The trouble is that what’s ample for one person may be not nearly enough for another. I suppose one could argue that the extra hour (or whatever) that kids with special needs get could just be available to all. But there would still need to be a limit, just a more generous one.

(ETA: just saw the drift away from parsing “timed”. Team duvet!!)

Edited by Petronella
  • Upvote 3

Relaxing on the Duvet shoeless eating a peanut butter sandwich after having your daughters ears pierced might be nice ;)

• Haha 15

Over. Always over. And a pox on those who just put a new roll on top of the dispenser without even starting it.
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 12

16 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Over! Unless you have cats. Then under may be preferable. We learned that one quick when our cats once unrolled an entire brand new roll of TP in the half-bath under the stairs, and stuffed the ENTIRE THING into their litter box. It was so funny we couldn't even be mad. Once we switched to under, they would get bored of rolling it quickly when no paper came off.

14 hours ago, Quiver Full of Kittens said:

sock-sock-shoe-shoe all the way

Same. Assuming I am wearing socks that day. And I admit that if I'm wearing a pair of hand knitted socks (I have 3 pair now!) I put them both on and admire them a sec before putting shoes on. Other people can do what they want, though. My sister recently had a hip replacement, so I'm pretty sure she tries to do everything in one go once she's gotten into position!

Duvet/quilt/comforter... I tend to call mine comforters but I don't care what you call them, just pile them on the bed. I'm only picky about sheets. (400+ thread count 100% cotton sateen, only.)

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Relaxing on the Duvet shoeless eating a peanut butter sandwich after having your daughters ears pierced might be nice ;)

Sooo....did you formula feed or breastfeed her? :562479b0cbc9f_whistle1:

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Haha 14

11 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Sooo....did you formula feed or breastfeed her? :562479b0cbc9f_whistle1:

And was this before or after you had your son circumcised? ;) 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 15

My late feline niece Morgan used to like messing with TP rolls every so often. She wouldn’t unwind them very far but would dig into them.

• Upvote 5

17 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Over. Always over. And a pox on those who just put a new roll on top of the dispenser without even starting it.

I work in a place where close to 90% of the staff have degrees. Can any of them remove the finished toilet roll from the holder and put the new one on? Apparently not. Drives me nuts.

• Upvote 7