IGNORED

College Admissions Scandal: Felicity Huffman Arrested!

Howl

God her day in the life sounds exactly how I imagined it. I wonder what her blog will look like now that she left college. That might actually be a tiny bit interesting. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Showing off, or "flexing" on Youtube has been a thing for a while now. House tours, shopping hauls, etc. Unless the person has a fun personality those videos are boring as hell.

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

It occurs to me though that this is really very small fry as far as tax fraud goes, and in fact as far as dodgy admittance practices go. It's catching the admittedly wealthy - but not the stratospherically rich who endow the buildings in a perfectly legal but still dodgy fashion. 

Awhile back a well to do Texas bidness-man gave his alma mater, Texas Tech, a substantial sum of money (can't remember now, but I'll assume it was in the + million dollar-ish range) with a reasonable assumption it was enough of an endowment to get a building named after him.  Much to everybody's embarrassment, Texas Tech had to tell the donor that it wasn't enough to name a building, but maybe a library or a lab.  

• WTF 1
  • Haha 8

13 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

And of course the person who wrote this said they are fascinated by rich people. WHY? They are so boring! Why are wealthy people interesting? Because they can buy anything they want? I don’t think that is interesting at all. 

Maybe a bit OT, but I have never understood this.  Not so much as a kid / teenager, but as an adult beginning in college I have rubbed shoulders with a few rich folks.  I don't live far from an area that is one of the wealthliest areas in the US.   And frankly, for the most part, I found them pretty boring compared to well, not rich people.  I know that's not true of all of them but honestly, many of them have a different focus in life that I can't relate to, if not just outright shallow.   

My in-laws, like the author of the article, find rich people fascinating to the point that they even bought a second home in Florida so they could be near rich folks.   One of the reasons, we never visited them at their Florida home is that we didn't want to be paraded around the rich neighbors and hear about them all the time, not to mention being told with why we couldn't be like them.   It was pretty pathetic and they never attained the social standing that they hoped by being associated with "rich people", especially those with old money, and many of them were of that type.  I knew they never would attain it despite their efforts because I knew from my college experience is that these folks operate on an entirely different level from those are middle/working class/poor.  

• Upvote 9

I wonder if Lori Laughlin was pushing for OJ to go to college as a way to enhance her brand and get more viewers and sponsors for her vlog and such. Thought she'd make more money as a rich girl doing rich girl college stuff instead of just a rich girl doing everyday rich girl stuff.

She could have just as easily done that at Arizona State or a similar school that her parents didn't deem "good" enough. This was all about making themselves look good through their children's "achievements."

I used to occasionally watch KUWTK years ago and remember a scene where Kris took then early teenaged Kendall and Kylie out for ice cream and one of the girls was crying about how she "felt stupid" because she missed so much school for work (photo shoots, branding, etc) that she couldn't keep up with the curriculum. Kris sat there attempting a sympathetic look and was like, ok we'll make sure you get to be in school more, but it was pretty obvious that she knew that school would not be how her daughters made their money. Say what you will about Momager Kris, but she at least knew how to play to her children's strengths.

• Upvote 14

4 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

I wonder if Lori Laughlin was pushing for OJ to go to college as a way to enhance her brand and get more viewers and sponsors for her vlog and such. Thought she'd make more money as a rich girl doing rich girl college stuff instead of just a rich girl doing everyday rich girl stuff.

She could have just as easily done that at Arizona State or a similar school that her parents didn't deem "good" enough. This was all about making themselves look good through their children's "achievements."

I used to occasionally watch KUWTK years ago and remember a scene where Kris took then early teenaged Kendall and Kylie out for ice cream and one of the girls was crying about how she "felt stupid" because she missed so much school for work (photo shoots, branding, etc) that she couldn't keep up with the curriculum. Kris sat there attempting a sympathetic look and was like, ok we'll make sure you get to be in school more, but it was pretty obvious that she knew that school would not be how her daughters made their money. Say what you will about Momager Kris, but she at least knew how to play to her children's strengths.

Do I like Kris? No. But I can’t fault her for being ambitious as hell. As long as Kris isn’t hurting anyone or breaking laws, I have no issue with her ambition. And I have no problem with her never pushing her kids into college when it may not be for them. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

10 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Yet with all that knowledge, wisdom, age and maturity - you can’t keep a consistent internet persona

::confusion-shrug:

And apparently couldn't do the simple Google search to see that "Ivy" is capitalized and pluralized as "Ivies" not "Ivys."

• Haha 13

38 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

And apparently couldn't do the simple Google search to see that "Ivy" is capitalized and pluralized as "Ivies" not "Ivys."

Me reading your comment: 

A2C75BC9-F642-4EB5-83A3-5889D54194FB.jpeg

• Haha 7
  • Love 5

7 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

drop out before you get kicked out :2wankers:  Like Josh Duggar et al "choosing to leave" before getting fired;

"because they’re afraid of being bullied over the massive college admissions scam"

It’s not a bad strategy for them to be honest. Voluntarily withdrawing prevents them from have an expulsion in their records. I wouldn’t be surprised if Olivia decides not to apply elsewhere, but I don’t know anything about Isabella and she might want to pursue an education elsewhere.

(That said, I don’t see how they couldn’t have known something weird was happening when they both posed for fake athletic photos and they both would have deserved expulsion.)

• Upvote 13

21 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

I wonder if Aunt Becky will get killed off from Fuller House.

She’s been fired from the show.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.toofab.com/2019/03/15/fuller-house-stars-react-lori-loughlin-arrest-college-bribery-scam/

They have a few options moving forward:

1. They could kill Becky off.

2. They could send Becky off on a wild adventure that happens entirely off camera - see Michelle Tanner on “Fuller House”* or Debbie from “Meet the Fockers.”**

3. They could replace her with another actress (without any explanation) who looks and acts nothing like the original Becky - see the daughter on “Roseanne.”***

4. They could use old footage of Becky running upstairs, never show her coming back down, and never mention her again - see the youngest daughter on “Family Matters.”****

*The Olsen twins made it very clear they weren’t interested in appearing on the revival show, so Michelle is said to be living in New York working in the fashion industry to explain why she isn’t on camera. The cast and crew were kind of shitty about publicly putting some pressure on them to come reprise the role for a while, though thankfully they’ve stopped doing that. 

**Debbie is the younger sister of the female lead who gets married in the first film, “Meet the Parents.” The actress who played her tragically died of pneumonia before the second movie though, so the writers had Debbie and her husband off on a tropical adventure opening up a medical clinic for the second film.

**I think the daughter’s name was also Becky. The original actress left the show or something after a few seasons, so they replaced her with Sarah Chalke. They made this into a joke on the revival show by having Sarah play a different character and the original actress play Becky.

***I don’t remember the daughter’s name, but this literally happened at the end of the first or second season. She ran up the stairs at the end of the episode, never came back down, and no one mentioned she had ever existed again. I’m kind of hoping this is the option they go with because it would just be such a crappy 1980s or 1990s thing to do. ?

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 10

20 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.toofab.com/2019/03/15/fuller-house-stars-react-lori-loughlin-arrest-college-bribery-scam/

2. They could send Becky off on a wild adventure that happens entirely off camera - see Michelle Tanner on “Fuller House”* or Debbie from “Meet the Fockers.”**

3. They could replace her with another actress (without any explanation) who looks and acts nothing like the original Becky - see the daughter on “Roseanne.”***

4. They could use old footage of Becky running upstairs, never show her coming back down, and never mention her again - see the youngest daughter on “Family Matters.”****

*The Olsen twins made it very clear they weren’t interested in appearing on the revival show, so Michelle is said to be living in New York working in the fashion industry to explain why she isn’t on camera. The cast and crew were kind of shitty about publicly putting some pressure on them to come reprise the role for a while, though thankfully they’ve stopped doing that. 

**Debbie is the younger sister of the female lead who gets married in the first film, “Meet the Parents.” The actress who played her tragically died of pneumonia before the second movie though, so the writers had Debbie and her husband off on a tropical adventure opening up a medical clinic for the second film.

**I think the daughter’s name was also Becky. The original actress left the show or something after a few seasons, so they replaced her with Sarah Chalke. They made this into a joke on the revival show by having Sarah play a different character and the original actress play Becky.

***I don’t remember the daughter’s name, but this literally happened at the end of the first or second season. She ran up the stairs at the end of the episode, never came back down, and no one mentioned she had ever existed again. I’m kind of hoping this is the option they go with because it would just be such a crappy 1980s or 1990s thing to do. ?

I’m pretty sure they also did that with Chip on Happy Days. He was never mentioned again, just like little Judy. 

• Upvote 10

23 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

They should have her get arrested and go to prison!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 2

5 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m pretty sure they also did that with Chip on Happy Days. He was never mentioned again, just like little Judy. 

Chuck.  I hate that I know that.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 2

3 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Chuck.  I hate that I know that.

Thank you! Lol. I knew it started with a ch. 

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Hisey said:

I've studied at several of the ivys, 

Do you happen to own any fish?

• Haha 13
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Do you happen to own any fish?

To be more specific, does she own any constipated fish?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 14

On 3/13/2019 at 4:58 PM, Ozlsn said:

Harder. But certainly can be done, especially in the early years with lab reports. Later years agreed it's much harder, and if you didn't understand the concepts from the early years because you just faked the lab reports then it's harder still.

I remember having to sign in and show our student card for the first few labs in my undergrad. After that, the TA got to know us as labs were probably 30 students or less. (They'd have like 500 students in the class and an absolute army of TAs to manage it all!) I guess you could pay someone to write up the lab report for you but the actual lab, you had to be there.

In upper years, my program was really small and the prof and TA knew us all so it was quite hard to fake the in-class stuff. Showing up to labs and field trips was always mandatory.

This is one reason why I only do online quizzes as practice for the midterm/final - I tell them it's open book study time on their own. I know other profs who do onilne quizzes in class time, closed-book. It's the only way to police it, really. Some profs do have to scrutinize student cards to make sure the student is the one writing. (It strikes me that it's just easier to study than go through all this!)

• Upvote 9

2 hours ago, SPHASH said:

I wonder if Aunt Becky will get killed off from Fuller House.

No. Just jailed for shoplifting.

Edited by Tatar-tot
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

The Going-up-the-stairs-never-to-be-seen-again seems to be a thing with TV shows.  It happened to Richie Cunnigham's brother Chuck at the end of the first season of Happy Days and the Martin's son (Bobby?) early on in All My Children.  

• Upvote 3

In a turn of events that will surprise exactly no one, Olivia Jade has been embroiled in yet another cheating scandal involving rigging a game show so that she would win. It was called "Tap That Awesome App," and another person won in front of a studio audience, however, the ending was changed to show OJ winning.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6809589/Lori-Loughlins-daughter-second-cheating-scandal-alleged-rigged-contest.html 

• WTF 11
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

In a turn of events that will surprise exactly no one, Olivia Jade has been embroiled in yet another cheating scandal involving rigging a game show so that she would win. It was called "Tap That Awesome App," and another person won in front of a studio audience, however, the ending was changed to show OJ winning.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6809589/Lori-Loughlins-daughter-second-cheating-scandal-alleged-rigged-contest.html 

Sorry I just had to laugh. This is all just so fucking ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 13

1 hour ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

I guess you could pay someone to write up the lab report for you but the actual lab, you had to be there.

Oh we all had to be there. The ones I remember were Chemistry, where we wrote the lab reports in class, which included answering a series of questions about the reactions we were doing. They rotated the 12 labs so different groups were doing different things on different weeks. After the first week people would turn up with marked copies of their friend's report from that lab and compare notes in class - "this got a tick!" "this got a tick and an A+!" I tended to borrow reports before the class and read them so I understood what we were doing a bit better (chemistry was/is not my forte). The other one was Biochemistry (why more chemistry?!) where we all did the same pracs in the same week.  People whose prac times were on Fridays got consistently better marks than people whose prac times were on Mondays, mostly because they did the same thing borrowing marked reports from friends in the Monday group. My prac time was Monday, so I just did the damn reading which was probably better in the long run. 

2 hours ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

(It strikes me that it's just easier to study than go through all this!)

Oh hell yeah. My favourite prac ever went for 6 hours with a lunch break, then 3 hours the following day. Great group, great pracs, great discussions, and great TA - and we had written everything up as we went and were done. It may have helped that we went to the pub as a group quite a bit and talked life, the universe and prac work!

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

It strikes me that it's just easier to study than go through all this!

I'm admittedly pretty early in my teaching career, but I continue to be amazed by how much work some students will put into avoiding work.  If they put half as much time and effort into learning the course material, they'd be top of the class.

2 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Just when I thought this girl couldn't look any more ridiculous, vacuous, and completely, utterly useless, it turns out she also won a rigged game show for Z-list "influencers" in front of a live audience of... wait for it... a whopping 25 people.

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 3