IGNORED

College Admissions Scandal: Felicity Huffman Arrested!

Howl

This is serious as a heart attack.  A huge college admissions entrance exams and athletic scam at elite schools has been uncovered and Felicity Huffman is part of it. She and I think William Macy have been arrested, along with many, many others.  Parents would make a donation to a fake charity, which would then offer bribes to admissions officials and coaches or fake the students credentials.  SAT/ACT administrators and proctors have been charged, and others have also been charged. 

Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin Are Among 40 Celebs, CEOs Arrested in a College Admissions Cheating Scandal

This could get these people some prison time.  Sometimes the kids knew what was happening, but other times the manipulation was going on and no kids have been charged. The amount of money the parents spent to get their kids admitted to elite schools ranged from a few hundred thousand dollars to over 6 million bucks. 

I suspect Felicity Huffman's and William Macy's acting careers are over.  

• Upvote 9
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 14
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 7
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Howl said:

Nah. Hers might suffer, but his won't. Men have done much, much worse things and haven't had their careers affected. 

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 13
  • Love 3

Why were they paying for them to be recruited as athletes when they were athletic? I can understand faking academics but I don't understand faking athletics when they were never going to play the sport. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 6

Just in time for March Madness!  I am trying to sort this out, because I'm familiar with fake scholars, but this seems to be a case of fake athletes.  Interesting. 

Here's a little more detail on what was done from a CNN article:

Much of the indictment revolves around William Rick Singer, the founder of a for-profit college counseling and preparation business known as "The Key."

As laid out in the indictment, Singer allegedly paid college coaches to claim that a prospective student should be accepted to college because the student was a recruit for their sports team. However, Singer and the coaches knew that the student was not a competitive player and that his or her athletic profile was fake, the indictment said.

In one case, Singer even worked with parents to take staged photos of their child engaged in particular sports. In another example, they used stock photos of a person playing a sport and then put the face of a student onto that of an athlete via Photoshop, prosecutors said.

Singer was paid roughly $25 million by parents to help their children get in to schools, the US attorney said.

Link to CNN article

Edited by CTRLZero
Adding info from CNN article.
  • WTF 5

Yeah Lori might be going from the Full/Fuller House up to the Big House.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 18
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

Shocked about Lori Loughlin

Wow! Aunt Becky’s going to the pokey!

37 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Why were they paying for them to be recruited as athletes when they were athletic? I can understand faking academics but I don't understand faking athletics when they were never going to play the sport. 

Athletes are generally considered to be more attractive potential students than non-athletes. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

Debbie Downer alert! 

They likely will get a slap on the wrist. Sorry guys but money buys you the best lawyers and they will get them a good plea deal. They have the money to pay a huge fine and do only a little time behind bars. I’m not a lawyer but I’ve seen how this kind of shit plays out time and time again. I’m sick of rich people getting off easy. 

• Upvote 29
  • Disgust 1
  • I Agree 11
  • Love 1

Reading further, Felicity Huffman was at the very low end of the payment scale ($15,000) and decided not to go that route for her 2nd daughter. 

On the athletic scam, the student's admissions documents made it seem as though the applicant was a star athlete.  They even submitted photoshopped pics showing the "star" athlete in action.  If this worked and the student was actually admitted, the student might fake an injury to avoid playing and drop out of that sport, or play a few games and then drop the sport, but continue at the school. 

I just can't see how this worked, though, because it seems that the students' high school coaches would be contacted directly by the university or college's coach.  Depending on admissions processes, and how they are submitted, letters of recommendation could be faked. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

Famous and wealthy people have been paying extra money to get their unworthy offspring into "the best" programs for years. It's just these people got caught in a new version of this scheme. Historically, you'd endow a new hall or program and magically, your offspring and grandchildren would get admitted to the college of your choice.

• Upvote 28
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, keen23 said:

Famous and wealthy people have been paying extra money to get their unworthy offspring into "the best" programs for years. It's just these people got caught in a new version of this scheme. Historically, you'd endow a new hall or program and magically, your offspring and grandchildren would get admitted to the college of your choice.

Exactly. Wealthy people do as they please. I rarely have much empathy for the wealthy since they can afford to make many of their problems go away if they throw some money at it. 

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Twitter is having lots of fun with this

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 14
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Howl said:

I'm pretty sure hers was over a while back. What has she done since Desperate Housewives? Which wasn't that great anyway. 

His will be fine. This is financial crime, and as we can see in other aspects of the US, financial crime is only sort of bad if you get caught. It's not like they are going to lock him up in Max Security. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, clueliss said:

TMZ has specifics on Laughlin (and her husband Mossimo) and Huffman/Macy

https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/12/felicity-huffman-lori-loughlin-arrested-college-admissions-bribery-scam/

If I’d had twice the amount of time to take my ACT, I would have scored so much higher. I couldn’t finish any portion of he damn thing. I’m a very slow test taker. Of course she scored higher! Plus he changed some amswers? Damn. 

And Lori’s daughter sounds like a spoiled brat anyway. Is anyone surprised her parents had to bribe a school to get her in. 

So many entitled jerks.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 18
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

18 minutes ago, keen23 said:

Prime example: Jared Kushner, who was only admitted to Harvard because daddy paid a lot of money.

• Upvote 44
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 2

25 minutes ago, Howl said:

On the athletic scam, the student's admissions documents made it seem as though the applicant was a star athlete.  They even submitted photoshopped pics showing the "star" athlete in action.  If this worked and the student was actually admitted, the student might fake an injury to avoid playing and drop out of that sport, or play a few games and then drop the sport, but continue at the school. 

I just can't see how this worked, though, because it seems that the students' high school coaches would be contacted directly by the university or college's coach.  Depending on admissions processes, and how they are submitted, letters of recommendation could be faked. 

The college coaches were part of the scam! No need for them to call HS coaches, because they know it's all fake. They basically told admissions offices that that so-and-so was a potential recruit, so that lifts the application. Coaches at USC (waterpolo) and Stanford (sailing) have been implicated. NYCsouthpaw on twitter is always my go-to for legal breakdowns: https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw

• Upvote 15

12 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Prime example: Jared Kushner, who was only admitted to Harvard because daddy paid a lot of money.

That’s the thing, how can any of these kids feel like they ever accomplished anything on their own? 

• Upvote 23

Yep the internet has gone to work

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5c87d3e5e4b0450ddae49683?ncid=APPLENEWS00001

As reports broke that actress Lori Loughlin was one of dozens of people charged by the FBI in an elite college admission scheme, many Twitter users began sharing jokes in reference to the former “Full House” star’s character: Aunt Becky.
  • Upvote 6

Shit, my alma mater is involved, via the tennis coach.  He was paid $100,00 for his part in the scheme and lost a $232,000/a year job that he'd been doing for 19 years.  Apparently, he didn't do a risk/benefit analysis first. 

UT Austin tennis coach part of massive admissions fraud, allegedly took $100,000 bribe

Staggering amounts of money were involved.  Admission to University of Texas at Austin is extremely competitive. 

<snip> 

The applicant’s father made a donation of more than $400,000 to a third person’s California-based company. Then, Center [the tennis coach] told the student’s father that they’d receive a letter of intent from UT for a partial scholarship that covered books.

The student was added to the tennis team’s roster as a recruited athlete, according to court documents.

The bribe had been arranged by Martin Fox, of Houston, the indictment says.

After the applicant was accepted, the father, in April 2015, the father made a second donation of stock to the California company for $102,925. A month later, he made a third donation for $73,445, the documents say.

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 10
  • Love 1

Lori is currently on “When Calls the Heart” on the Hallmark Channel, right? THC is a very family friendly vaguely Christian channel. I doubt they will want Lori on one of their most popular shows after this scandal. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 5

@Howl when I saw UT was one of the schools, I immediately thought that THIS is what Becky with the Bad Grades should have been mad about, not black students getting in when she didn't!

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Lori is currently on “When Calls the Heart” on the Hallmark Channel, right? THC is a very family friendly vaguely Christian channel. I doubt they will want Lori on one of their most popular shows after this scandal. 

They may have to pull quite a few titles from their catalog of TV films and shows--she seems to be in every other one!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 7
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, theotherelise said:

@Howl when I saw UT was one of the schools, I immediately thought that THIS is what Becky with the Bad Grades should have been mad about, not black students getting in when she didn't!

Oh this is funny.  I knew she'd lost the lawsuit, but didn't know about the #Becky with the Bad Grades twitter hashtag.  I googled and she popped right up!  I also didn't realize how bad her grades were.  She was denied admission to UT Austin on her very own merits. 

• Upvote 9