IGNORED

Chelsy and John Maxwell 7: Not as Beige as Maxhell - Yet

Coconut Flan

9 minutes ago, Hane said:

I have size 7 1/2 extra-wide gunboats with very high insteps, so I feel your pain, especially when I see my daughter’s 7 regulars—she can find great, affordable shoes anywhere, while I have to trek to a specialty store to buy a narrow assortment of Ugly Shoes for the Elderly (TM).

I’m so old that I can remember shoes being sold with different widths for heels and toes, and shoe stores routinely carrying widths from AA up. Oh, and socks and hosiery weren’t one-size-fits-all. And clothing came with wide enough seam allowances that it could be altered by the seamstress who actually worked at the department store. And when my mom bought me a gorgeous black wool dress with red trim, I was astounded at the fact that she spent TWENTY WHOLE DOLLARS on it. (For comparison, my first prom gown cost $33.)

Crap—I sound like my dad talking about the Depression again.

Please return to our regularly scheduled thread drift.

My great grandma gave birth to my grandma (who is now 86) at home with a doctor who made a house call to deliver the baby. I remember when she told me he charged 20 dollars! She said she was shocked by the amount at the time. That’s probably why they only had 2 children. ?She was very careful with their money.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, Hane said:

I have size 7 1/2 extra-wide gunboats with very high insteps, so I feel your pain, especially when I see my daughter’s 7 regulars—she can find great, affordable shoes anywhere, while I have to trek to a specialty store to buy a narrow assortment of Ugly Shoes for the Elderly (TM).

I’m so old that I can remember shoes being sold with different widths for heels and toes, and shoe stores routinely carrying widths from AA up. Oh, and socks and hosiery weren’t one-size-fits-all. And clothing came with wide enough seam allowances that it could be altered by the seamstress who actually worked at the department store. And when my mom bought me a gorgeous black wool dress with red trim, I was astounded at the fact that she spent TWENTY WHOLE DOLLARS on it. (For comparison, my first prom gown cost $33.)

I do miss that wide seam allowance.

I always shop at Ugly Shoes for the Elderly (TM).  I particularly love their selection of colors -- black and brown.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5

To all those stuck at the  Ugly Shoes for the Elderly (TM), my mother has 11 wide with terrible bunions. She wears Arcopedico shoes, sneakers and flats. They come in many colors and are very cute. Pricey, but she's had her walking shoes for almost 4 years now. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

@Hane,  the January/February issue of Martha Stewart Living has an article on mending, even for those of us with fairly basic sewing skills.  It has instruction for darning and an illustration to as well as patching and the Japanese art of sashiko or running stitches to secure a patch.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

I have wide feet and pretty much stickn to Merrells, Birkenstocks and some old lady brand I can't remember that has wide sizes and memory foam.

Also, I'm curious what ridiculous name Chelsy and John come up with that can match Axton Maxwell. I'm kinda hoping Presli or some other last name with an I tacked on for a girl. I'm blanking on boy names. Maybe Lionel? Edwin? (I'm trying to repeat letters between the first and last name.)

• Upvote 5

My foot, a 9/9.5, normal/wide, likes to be comfortable. I never took to blisters, much like hangovers. Then back pain happened.

Rothys, made out of recycled water bottles, get a thumbs up. I need a pair of interviewing flats and I think these will hold up well.

(Disclaimer: Tried them for comfort sake. They are a bit pricey. The fact that they are eco-friendly is a lovely benefit. I'd like another pair.)

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

My mom practically had a heart attack when I insisted on Trax sneakers from Kmart at the princely sum of $9.90.(Several years later, she made me buy my first pair of Nikes—$29.99–with my own money.)

The Trax were similar to these, except with four stripes.

83BE01BF-A28D-4EB4-824B-2D04AC3D4B10.jpeg

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, smittykins said:

My mom practically had a heart attack when I insisted on Trax sneakers from Kmart at the princely sum of $9.90.(Several years later, she made me buy my first pair of Nikes—$29.99–with my own money.)

The Trax were similar to these, except with four stripes.

83BE01BF-A28D-4EB4-824B-2D04AC3D4B10.jpeg

My work shoes are Brooks running shoes, $130/pair (sorry, smittykins's mom).   Between that and my compression socks, my legs feel pretty darn good after a 12 hour shift.  

I used to go with Nike brand, but they started not fitting my feet well a few years ago.  I went to a shoe store and they set me up with my current pair, based on my body and profession.

Edited by 3splenty
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

I have size 11, very narrow, very flat feet and wear Keens almost exclusively for everything. I can’t wear heels at all and though expensive, Keens will last me years and come in various sizes and widths. If you buy at the wrong end of a season, like sandals in September and boots in February/March, you can get decent deals. They’re also sturdy, with thick soles, which are essential since I don’t get a lot of feedback from my limbs and walk very heavily. 

I always have this verse around in my head about Sarah, from the Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat song:

Poor, poor Sarah

what’cha gonna do

always an old maid

oh, what’cha gonna do......

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, 3splenty said:

My work shoes are Brooks running shoes, $130/pair (sorry, smittykins's mom).   Between that and my compression socks, my legs feel pretty darn good after a 12 hour shift.  

I used to go with Nike brand, but they started not fitting my feet well a few years ago.  I went to a shoe store and they set me up with my current pair, based on my body and profession.

I've been wearing Brooks running shoes ( Arial or Addiction) for 31 years.  They are the only ones that keep my feet, hip joints, and back happy.  I worked 31 years in a hospital with long, hard floors and the Brooks were great.

I did have my big toe joint removed and fused last year, due to bunion and arthritis, and now I only wear Brooks or Orthofeet.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

I like Altra. I have a pair of Hoka One Ones but I don't like them as much as the Altra running shoes. Mr Mae swears by his Hokas. I won't tell you how much we spend on running shoes. There is a place here, though, that gives you a gift card for the average of the last 6 pairs of shoes you purchased through them.

• Upvote 4

On 1/20/2020 at 12:15 PM, Maggie Mae said:

I like Altra. I have a pair of Hoka One Ones but I don't like them as much as the Altra running shoes. Mr Mae swears by his Hokas. I won't tell you how much we spend on running shoes. There is a place here, though, that gives you a gift card for the average of the last 6 pairs of shoes you purchased through them.

I'll have to try Altras next time. I've been wearing Hoka One One trail runners for hiking for years, but before this year I've been lucky to get 400 miles out of a pair before they are completely falling apart. This year's pair, though--really stiff and uncomfortable, although I suppose that means they solved the falling apart problem.

Keens are my go to for grown-up shoes. Although, damn, I wish I could count on the last being the same from one style to the next. The toe box is generally the same, but some have heels so wide they are like the proverbial herring boxes without topses.

• Upvote 2

I can't wear heels anymore. Busted ankles, busted heel bone, fucked up knees and back...I wear mostly Nikes and for flat shoes, I just find what's comfortable at Famous Footwear.  Summer, I wear the Birkenstock ripoffs part time and my Nikes the rest of the time. The ripoffs don't support the side of my foot where I broke the bone in 3 places and tore ALL the tendons on that side of my foot. I own about 25 pairs of very colorful (neon) ankle socks for the summer. 

I just LOVE having a fucked up lower half. Now, I've also been diagnosed with moderate degenerative changes (arthritis) in BOTH shoulders. Mr. Xtian died and I just fell the fuck apart.

• Sad 3
  • Love 10

On 1/18/2020 at 11:01 AM, Hane said:

I have similar fit issues but with hats.  I love me some cute hats, but I have a really big head, and Ive never been able to wear the cute fashiony hats that are made for women.  Just knit caps in the winter and a straw hat for the summer, that I had to special order online. ?

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, The Mother Dust said:

I have similar fit issues but with hats.  I love me some cute hats, but I have a really big head, and Ive never been able to wear the cute fashiony hats that are made for women.  Just knit caps in the winter and a straw hat for the summer, that I had to special order online. ?

I feel you. I have similar head girth and I can rock a hat. But hat style is always changing and they never fit.

It was with great sadness and pain that I gave up my velvet flowered slouchy numbers from the 90s.

... Should have kept them. I suspect they will be stylish sooner rather than later.

Tangent: With no shame I admit to being a proud owner of velvety scrunchies once more?.

... These are so cute. They're tied like little 40s era scarves, in muted modern hues. Nothing at all like the 90s. So not at all dated.

Right? Can we wear them in public again? I saw teenagers doing it on tv and decided it was somewhat acceptable..

... I will look like crap in public but I refuse to be dated or tacky. We all have our personal standards ®️

ETA: If you (general) are interested, Nordstrom Rack offers free alterations on clothes if you use their credit card

They have a pretty fair assortment of plus size stuff.

If one needs to suit up for any sort of of respectable occasion I would recommend a look.

Edited by AliceInFundyland
Nordstrom plug
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 3

I have a huge melon as well. My kids also inherited my huge melon but they are boys. I think it’s easier for giant noggin men to find hats. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I have a huge melon as well. My kids also inherited my huge melon but they are boys. I think it’s easier for giant noggin men to find hats. 

Not really. My dad always wore classic fedoras. Then he developed Paget’s Disease (osteoporosis deformans), which caused his bones to expand and grow porous—including his skull. I had to go on line to find hats for him, but was only able to find ball caps (this was in the early 2000s). ?

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

Also a member of the huge head club.  It runs in our family.  My son was born with a head circumference in the 99th percentile.  When I took him to one of his earlier well-baby checks, they had a student working at the practice who took my son's measurements.  When he plugged his head circumference into the computer and saw the number, he looked at me wide-eyed and said "you birthed a head that big!" All I could come up with for a response was "Yes.  My vagina and I remember " lol

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 16

I also have a huge head. Ask my mother... 

I had to get an “XL” graduation cap but even that was a little snug. I hardly ever wear hats. Woolly hats are itchy on my forehead, so I just go without in winter. Ideally I’d get a cashmere hat but of course cashmere is crazy expensive. 

• Upvote 6

On 1/25/2020 at 7:52 PM, mango_fandango said:

Ideally I’d get a cashmere hat but of course cashmere is crazy expensive. 

If you want to be crafty, find a cheap cashmere sweater at a thrift store (often $5-10 where I am) and sew a hat. Lots of youtube tutorials on this.

• Upvote 7

On 1/24/2020 at 7:36 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Men’s hats are generally sized where women’s usually aren’t.  I made a few fascinators that aren’t too poofy and/or flowery.  Sew in a comb or glue on a thin headband and it’s good to go.

it really sucks having a big head, fat fingers, large wide feet, and being plus sized.  

• Upvote 5

@Granwych and all the other FJ women with large feet, be proud of your large feet.  Terrible things were done to little girls' and women' feet in China in imperial days when foot-binding was the fashion, and all in the name of women having tiny feet.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 6

13 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Granwych and all the other FJ women with large feet, be proud of your large feet.  Terrible things were done to little girls' and women' feet in China in imperial days when foot-binding was the fashion, and all in the name of women having tiny feet.

I actually think I have very nice looking feet even though they are size 11. I just hate finding shoes. And since my feet are long but not wide, there are certain shoes that make my feet look like clown feet. But other than that, they are nice looking! Lol

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

Chelsy made a post summarizing her holidays with family. That gift in the tree was a salt gun. I’m not really sure what that is used for. Maybe cutting lettuce?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

Hang on to something tight cuz your gonna hit the fucking floor.  Stud John and Judgy Chelsy went to a, brace yourself, a sporting event!  In Vegas!  

• Upvote 8

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic