IGNORED

Chelsy and John Maxwell 7: Not as Beige as Maxhell - Yet

Coconut Flan

11 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

I wear pants all the time, but I don't ever wear men's clothing. It wouldn't fit properly! I won't even buy unisex clothing because they are still cut for men. That label is just manufacturers' code for "suck it, bitch, we don't want to make products that fit you"

In athletic wear, I tend to buy menswear. I am petite, but have square shoulders and narrow hips, so a men’s small shirt offers more room in the shoulders than a woman’s small, and men’s Small shorts are narrower through the hips, but offer a bit more length. Not many (any?) ladies in their 60s want booty shorts.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

In athletic wear, I tend to buy menswear. I am petite, but have square shoulders and narrow hips, so a men’s small shirt offers more room in the shoulders than a woman’s small, and men’s Small shorts are narrower through the hips, but offer a bit more length. Not many (any?) ladies in their 60s want booty shorts.

So. . .according to fundie rules, you're gonna' go to hell, but you'll be comfortable in whatever you are wearing when you get there. I think that's a reasonable trade-off.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 7

6 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

So. . .according to fundie rules, you're gonna' go to hell, but you'll be comfortable in whatever you are wearing when you get there. I think that's a reasonable trade-off.

Oh no doubt, by FUndie Rules, I am already on fire!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 8

14 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

I wear pants all the time, but I don't ever wear men's clothing. It wouldn't fit properly! I won't even buy unisex clothing because they are still cut for men. That label is just manufacturers' code for "suck it, bitch, we don't want to make products that fit you"

Unfortunately, men’s t shirts fit me so much better. I haven’t worn a woman’s t shirt in well over a decade. I just have such a large rib cage and shoulders. 

• Upvote 6

15 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

I have a Dale of Norway sweater that's marked unisex, though they make a ton of stuff for women only and men only. It's like a magical pair of traveling pants, it fits both me and the Mr so well and is flattering. I swear they use sheep blessed by Thor or something.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

I wear men’s clothes - specifically t-shirts & coats because the dimensions of men’s fit me well. What the fundies will never admit is no one would ever know if I didn’t point it out!

• Upvote 10

19 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

What the fundies will never admit is no one would ever know if I didn’t point it out!

But God knows.  You can hide from fundies but not from he who stalkith your clothing choices from the heavens.

To the prayer closet with you!  Repent before it's too late!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 10

I wear a lot of my headship’s hand me downs. He is a petite guy and I have a latina booty, so they instantly look like women’s pants. Of course this is limited to sweats and athletic pants. He works in food service/retail and I am an LMT, so we share a mutual love of oil-proof pants.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 3

I wear men's socks because women's socks just won't fit my size 10 feet even when the label says they will.

I'll be marching straight to hell with comfy feet.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, VVV said:

I wear men's socks because women's socks just won't fit my size 10 feet even when the label says they will.

Same with me. Men socks are actually quite comfy. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, VVV said:

I have size 11 feet and often wear men’s socks as well. My husband and I have the same length of foot but his are like twice as wide as mine. I swear he has Fred Flintstone feet. They are shaped like a brick.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

On 12/30/2019 at 4:23 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Thanks for the link, I am now enraged.

You can teach children that please and thank you are inviolable while still respecting their boundaries and feelings and who they are as people.

Her advice works if you want to train performers, not rear children.

I am forever grateful that, soon after I became a mother, someone was kind enough to explain to me that shyness was just a cover-up for rudeness.  That 2 year old who won't say "thank-you" to his hostess for a delicious meal is, in fact, being rather self-centered.  He is thinking of his own feelings rather than the feelings of someone who may have spent hours or all day preparing for her guests so that they could enjoy a meal together.  A little child who won't introduce himself is being rude to an adult or young friend who is taking an interest in him.

So disturbing. I think of any and every 2 year old I've known and I'm astonished she even imagines that as an example. She's not talking about a 6 years old who has gained cognitive skills through experience or a 10 year old who understands the feelings of others - she is talking a diaper wetting, paci sucking, maybe 20 word knowing/understanding, bottle drinking/nursing baby barely past infancy. I can't imagine the trauma and probable abuse she inflicted on her toddlers to get them to "stop being shy/self centered/selfish". 

Same kind of shit as the immediate obedience. 

Disgusting, all of it. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 11
  • Love 1

@JermajestyDuggar, your husband may have Fred Flintstone feet, but mine are more like Daisy Ducks'  feet:  wide at the toes and narrow at the heels.  No wonder I thought about Disney Bounding as Daisy Duck when I was at Disney World a couple of years ago.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

Like the rest of my family on my mom's side I have super high arches and insteps.  Years ago I was in the hospital for something unrelated and a nurse saw my feet and asked me if I was of Pennsylvania Dutch decent.  

I confirmed I was, on my mom's side and she said she knew it because feet with high arches and insteps were common amongst that ethnic group.  Also highly desirable in foot models, apparently.

Thing is my ancestors came over in the early 1700s and dropped the Mennonite thing first generation and started marrying out of the community so apparently those genes are pretty damn dominant.  

• Upvote 5

My aunt’s latest husband creeps me out. I felt so empowered the day I refused to hug him when they were leaving a family gathering. It took me years to believe my feelings are just as valid as anyone else’s, in large part because of this kind of teaching!

• Upvote 5
  • Love 7

17 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Like the rest of my family on my mom's side I have super high arches and insteps.  Years ago I was in the hospital for something unrelated and a nurse saw my feet and asked me if I was of Pennsylvania Dutch decent.  

I confirmed I was, on my mom's side and she said she knew it because feet with high arches and insteps were common amongst that ethnic group.  Also highly desirable in foot models, apparently.

Thing is my ancestors came over in the early 1700s and dropped the Mennonite thing first generation and started marrying out of the community so apparently those genes are pretty damn dominant.  

That’s interesting. I have high arches too. If my  feet weren’t huge, I could probably be a foot model. Yes, I’m conceited about my feet ?

I don’t think I have any Pennsylvania Dutch but I have a lot of ancestors that came to the US a very long time ago. Maybe the Pilgrims had high arches and that’s why I do too.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I don’t think I have any Pennsylvania Dutch but I have a lot of ancestors that came to the US a very long time ago. Maybe the Pilgrims had high arches and that’s why I do too.

That side of my mom's family ...also pilgrims.  Maybe the nurse was wrong and we brought our special feet to the new world via England.  Whole lot of mixing when you go back to colonial America.

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

That side of my mom's family ...also pilgrims.  Maybe the nurse was wrong and we brought our special feet to the new world via England.  Whole lot of mixing when you go back to colonial America.

Damn pilgrims with their excessive amount of buckles and their high arches. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Damn pilgrims with their excessive amount of buckles and their high arches. 

Agreed.  But the fashion was worth it because look how cute they were.

Spoiler

Dog%20Pilgrim%20Feast_OS_604.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 9
  • Love 9

1 hour ago, fundiefan said:

That 2 year old who won't say "thank-you" to his hostess for a delicious meal is, in fact, being rather self-centered.

A two-year-old doesn’t have a freaking hostess, you idiot asshole. A two-year-old has gracious, caring adults who feed them well. The child isn’t there to make the damn adults feel good about themselves.

Edited by Jasmar
Typo, although those adults do expect their kids to make them feel god about themselves
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 4

On 1/8/2020 at 6:39 AM, redsmomma29 said:

I think that Chelsy addressing the pants wearing is a HUGE step for her and John.  To publicly announce that basically they do not agree with Stevehova's  interpretation of the bible is a big step for them.  Not so much that their core values change, but that it will piss Steve off and maybe get the girls still at home.....well all of the girls thinking!!

Chelsy is low-key the Meghan Markle of the Maxhell monarchy. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 15
  • I Agree 1

On 1/16/2020 at 2:22 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Interesting. I also have high arches and insteps, enough so that there are many brands of shoes and boots I simply cannot wear, and my ancestors came from the same area of Europe as the original immigrants known as Pennsylvania Dutch.

Now, permit me to rant on shoe manufacturers who do not change the shape of the lasts when they make larger shoe sizes. Small feet (say 5, 6) tend to be similar in width in the heel and in the forefoot. As feet become larger the heel doesn't get wider but the forefoot does, until when you get to size 10/11 we have these feet shaped like slices of pie.  It's a challenge finding shoes with a large toe box and a narrow heel. #FirstWorldProblem

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Black Aliss,  I'm the exception to that small feet not changing shape thing.  I've got short, but wide feet.   Try to find  5 D.  

If I measure in a store, I am a 5.5, but in order to actually get a shoe in any sort of decent or up-to-date style to fit, I have to buy a 7. I have the exact same wide toe box, narrow heel and a super high arch. I never wear any sort of cute, scrappy heel. For height, I always go with a more sturdy platform type or clunky heeled shoe. I always cover up the toe box as much as possible. OTOH, my daughter has cute, streamlined size 6 feet. My mom wears a 10 wide, so it could be worse.

• Upvote 3

I have size 7 1/2 extra-wide gunboats with very high insteps, so I feel your pain, especially when I see my daughter’s 7 regulars—she can find great, affordable shoes anywhere, while I have to trek to a specialty store to buy a narrow assortment of Ugly Shoes for the Elderly (TM).

I’m so old that I can remember shoes being sold with different widths for heels and toes, and shoe stores routinely carrying widths from AA up. Oh, and socks and hosiery weren’t one-size-fits-all. And clothing came with wide enough seam allowances that it could be altered by the seamstress who actually worked at the department store. And when my mom bought me a gorgeous black wool dress with red trim, I was astounded at the fact that she spent TWENTY WHOLE DOLLARS on it. (For comparison, my first prom gown cost $33.)

Crap—I sound like my dad talking about the Depression again.

Please return to our regularly scheduled thread drift.

Edited by Hane
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Love 4

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic