IGNORED

Chelsy and John Maxwell 7: Not as Beige as Maxhell - Yet

Coconut Flan

Just the other day my friends and I were discussing how much we hate the stereotype of women as spendthrifts and bad money managers. Quite a few of us made our better financially as single moms than we had as married women.

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 1

On 8/24/2019 at 11:29 PM, Hane said:

Just the other day my friends and I were discussing how much we hate the stereotype of women as spendthrifts and bad money managers. Quite a few of us made our better financially as single moms than we had as married women.

For my grandmas (very sexist) generation, women were the ones who know how to spend money wisely and men were who spent too much or who buy silly things because had no idea about shopping. Budget was supposed to be as cleaning or sewing, a femenine duty.

I really don't think that nowadays there is a gender difference in that issue. But I truly believe that generally speaking single parents manage better than married ones, because they cannot rely in other person's income and specially because it's easier to make decisions when you don't have to share that power or responsability with another adult. I know it can be hard, too.

• Upvote 10

On 8/21/2019 at 7:49 AM, SPHASH said:

Didn't Amish Anna make and sell soap and shut that business down when she became Prissy Chris's helpmeet?

Yeah but it was goat milk soap from the family goats. Unless she can milk Chris, then she is out of luck.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Yeah but it was goat milk soap from the family goats. Unless she can milk Chris, then she is out of luck.

Well you remember the movie Meet The Parents?  Anything with nipples can be milked! ?

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 11
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, kpmom said:

Well you remember the movie Meet The Parents?  Anything with nipples can be milked! ?

OMG. That is all.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

@kpmom,  I was just thinking of that scene where Ben Stiller was talking about milking the cat.

Someone brought up Chihuahua cheese on an email list I'm on and I thought of that scene.  Of course, Chihuahua cheese is not made from the milk of Chihuahuas, but from cow's milk.  You could make cheese from the milk of Chis but it would take a whole lot of Chihuahuas to make enough milk to make a decent amount of cheese.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, kpmom said:

I love that line. Poor Gaylord Fucker he was so nervous. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

So, Chelsy just did a new blog post on advice for clothing for nursing mothers. I have to hand it to her, she still has a really good sense of style. I don't agree with Chelsy on, almost, everything; but hey at least she is mixing it up in Maxhell. She hasn't fallen too far down their rabbit hole. However, I don't think she understood how a zipper top worked.

Edited by NancyDrewFan1989
adding
  • Upvote 2

@NancyDrewFan1989,  I can tell you a couple of things about nursing tops with zippers:

First,  they leave a fairly big gap (pop open a lot) unless the zipper is pretty short. 

Second, zipping your nipple up hurts like a mofo.  OUCH!

I had many nursing clothes back when I was nursing (over 24 years ago) and the ones with zippers were not my favorites.  I liked button closures best followed by hidden slits.  Zippers came in dead last.

• Upvote 5

@PennySycamore I have a friend who raves about zipper tops and hasn't had a problem when she was nursing. The ones she had you just zipped the front part up, like the one's Chelsy showed in her blog. She would get her regular size and not have a problem with it. Plus, she got hers from Amazon as well. I didn't realize that they could be painful. The way she described the zipper top, to me, she made it sound like it shirt would pop open in public and she would flash a bunch of people. 

@PennySycamoreby she I mean Chelsy, not my friend.

• Upvote 3

The hack? You can pair your graphic tee with a nursing cami underneath and you've got your coverage! Especially if your child is like mine and likes to kick and wiggle and do allll the things while he is nursing, it is really nice to have your "middle self" covered with that cami for the time he suddenly kicks out his legs and attempts to emerge from the nursing cape.

Just the thought of wearing a thick nursing cami under a t-shirt in the dead of summer makes  me sweat. Add to that the nursing cape, no wonder baby Axton is kicking to get out of there. 

ETA: Chelsy seems really self-conscious about the baby weight and hiding parts of her body. She looks great and I hope that no one around her is contributing to that pressure. 

Edited by usedbicycle
  • Upvote 6

I nursed my youngest for over two years straight (he wouldn’t take bottles and comfort nursed all the time). I lived in a cami with a shelf bra under an oversized t-shirt for a long time. I looked like a hot mess most of the time. I had so much leftover baby weight that finding a decent nursing bra was so hard. I guess they don’t make as many nursing bras for really big girls like me. Everything I wore was big and stretchy so I could pop a boob out at any time. I don’t use nursing covers. Ever. I’m hot all the time anyway. A nursing cover would kill me. Plus I always have hot little babies. We would be nursing in the summer covered in sweat. Blah.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 3

I wore a nursing cami under a shirt with all three kids for the first few months. It just made me more comfortable. I did it even with my youngest who was an August baby, though I was careful to choose a very thin shirt for on top. I also never liked nursing covers. When the kids were young babies and I needed to help them latch properly I used a lightweight blanket (I discovered the muslin swaddle blankets with my second) but I generally just used to to get them on and then let it fall out of the way. 

My youngest didn't take bottles at all either @JermajestyDuggar. I remember being so excited when I was able to use a bit of food and some expressed milk in a cup to tide her over so that I could leave the house for more than 2 hours without her. With that we were able to stretch it to 3 1/2 hours or so. Of course, she was already like 9 months old at that point. She weaned around 2. also

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, nvmbr02 said:

I wore a nursing cami under a shirt with all three kids for the first few months. It just made me more comfortable. I did it even with my youngest who was an August baby, though I was careful to choose a very thin shirt for on top. I also never liked nursing covers. When the kids were young babies and I needed to help them latch properly I used a lightweight blanket (I discovered the muslin swaddle blankets with my second) but I generally just used to to get them on and then let it fall out of the way. 

My youngest didn't take bottles at all either @JermajestyDuggar. I remember being so excited when I was able to use a bit of food and some expressed milk in a cup to tide her over so that I could leave the house for more than 2 hours without her. With that we were able to stretch it to 3 1/2 hours or so. Of course, she was already like 9 months old at that point. She weaned around 2. also

Your youngest sounds just like my youngest! I too was very excited when he ate a little bit of puréed baby food in a pouch so I could leave him for a couple hours! He’s still the most stubborn child I’ve ever seen. He was stubborn about no bottles, not sleeping through the night, naps, weaning, and now potty training. He has given me so much gray hair.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Your youngest sounds just like my youngest! I too was very excited when he ate a little bit of puréed baby food in a pouch so I could leave him for a couple hours! He’s still the most stubborn child I’ve ever seen. He was stubborn about no bottles, not sleeping through the night, naps, weaning, and now potty training. He has given me so much gray hair.

Well, mine is 10 now and she is still crazy stubborn. I hope yours mellows out for you. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, nvmbr02 said:

Well, mine is 10 now and she is still crazy stubborn. I hope yours mellows out for you. 

Oh I expect him to be stubborn his whole life! I hope he channels it into something constructive as he gets older. Otherwise he might just become the dictator of a small country ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh I expect him to be stubborn his whole life! I hope he channels it into something constructive as he gets older. Otherwise he might just become the dictator of a small country ;)

Sounds like my 8 year old. Hey! Maybe their countries can have a pointless trade war someday!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 16
  • Love 2

@JermajestyDuggar,  We used to have discussions on either LLL Leader lists or maybe Lactnet about where to find larger sized nursing bras.  I know some manufacturers made H cup at least.  Larger band sizes too.  You may have to look for them, but they're out there.  

• Thank You 1

22 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@JermajestyDuggar,  We used to have discussions on either LLL Leader lists or maybe Lactnet about where to find larger sized nursing bras.  I know some manufacturers made H cup at least.  Larger band sizes too.  You may have to look for them, but they're out there.  

I actually have a bit of a hard time with regular bras so nursing bras were even harder. I have a huge rib cage and shoulders with a fairly small cup size in comparison. I’ll never have another child so I don’t need any now. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

@JermajestyDuggar,  I hear you about how hard it is to find bras with large size bands but small cups.   I bought the only two 40Bs they had at a Hanes outlet several years ago, but at least I could find them. I used to be an A and I don't know if anyone made 40As.  No wonder I wore sports bras for so long.  

• Upvote 5

Bras were the reason I got into garment sewing. I liked the idea of making other clothes, too, but if I could easily find bras that fit I would’ve stayed with quilting. 

Edited by Giraffe
Clothes. Making clothes, not just “other things.”
  • Upvote 8

Bras. I think I've shared this on here before, but the day I found Bravissimo (and the brand Fantasie) were litterally life changing. I can still remember the moment! From never knowing if and when I would find a bra that fit, didn't hurt and that gave support, to knowing that I could actually be comfortable.. Magic, I tell you!

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

• 4 weeks later...

Very important update: the french doors and the sink window in Chelsy's kitchen now have trim. This brought to you by Chelsy's post on teething, complete with Amazon links.

She also posted a tribute to her grandfather, which is being discussed over in the Bontrager thread. It sounds like she's going to the funeral; I assume with Axton and John, but that's not clear.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

She called one of her recommendations “vibrator corn cob teether” and I clutched my pearls before I clicked on the link. Don’t worry, it’s not what it sounds like.

Amber teething necklace? Check.

Homeopathic Tablets? Check.

Homeopathic Chiropractor? Check. 

Essential oils? Check. 

Chelsy is officially deep into the woo. Sad.

• Upvote 10

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic