• Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Coconut Flan

Chelsy and John Maxwell 7: Not as Beige as Maxhell - Yet

danvillebelle
22 hours ago, nausicaa said:
On 8/13/2019 at 8:55 AM, Screamapillar said:

As a small child growing up in a rural/suburban area I was so fascinated by the setting of Sesame Street. I'd never seen kids living in a city before. I always liked the videos of kids playing and going about their daily lives in environments different than mine.

Same! I remember one episode they had break dancers come in and one guy did the worm on a sewer cover in the street. I didn't know what sewer covers were, so whenever my mom took me grocery shopping and we passed a silver plumbing cap in the floor I would throw myself on the ground and try to do it, to her complete and utter bewilderment. 

And on the flip side, part of the reason I loved Sesame Street is that it was so home-like!  I was born in Queens, NYC and lived there until I was 6.  :)  Sesame Street went on the air the year I was born. ❤️

Jody

So I just checked in with Allison, Chelsy’s sister, to see how that retreat that she organised in Austria (or Switzerland) went. I can’t seem to find out wether the event took place or not. She took a break from blogging on june 13th, talks about dating her Brothers, misging “her” babies, weird posts about choosing joy and not being a good Christian, and a post about their travels and “concerts”. Somewhere she does say there was a ladies retreat in Iowa, but nothing about the great European adventure. 

Allison writes as though she has severe physical disabilities that limit her in enjoying life or something like that. Sorry if this is not a good example, she’s just sooooo envious and depressing ALL the time. Even her “happy” post read like an obituary.

anachronistic

Jody - that is not a good example. Severe physical disabilities or disabilities of any type do not limit your ability to enjoy life. Untreated depression and an upbringing that causes you to lose opportunities and have almost no choices do. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Lgirlrocks

New blog post up. No answer on to how she will keep blogging just that she may at some point. 

JermajestyDuggar
18 minutes ago, Lgirlrocks said:

New blog post up. No answer on to how she will keep blogging just that she may at some point. 

Her posts always make me think she should just make a public Instagram where she can post little bits here and there. Instead of feeling like she needs to regularly post long blog entries. I just think Instagram would be a better format for what she’s looking for. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Meh
AliceInFundyland

You would think that a trip to Switzerland would warrant a photo or two.

SPHASH

If Judgy Chelsy quits her blog I hope it's because she wants to and not because Stud John and/or her father-in-hell are pressuring her.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Jana814
9 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

her father-in-hell 

Nice description of Steve!  Wish I thought of it. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 9
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

Caroline
On 8/12/2019 at 6:44 PM, Jana814 said:

That is the reason why it started. They wanted a realistic look for kids who lived in low income areas. That’s why they had an apartment building & graffiti on the walls. 

I think the federal Head Start program started around the same time for the same reason.

Jana814
55 minutes ago, Caroline said:

I think the federal Head Start program started around the same time for the same reason.

I think your right. I remember hearing that while watching something about Sesame Street. 

Happy
PennySycamore
45 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Head Start began in 1965 and so predates Sesame Street by 4 years and was part of the Great Society programs  My aunt taught Head Start during the summer. (She taught 4th grade during the school year.)   It wasn't just for pre-schoolers, but for all low-income elementary school kids.  I remember going to Head Start with my aunt for one week one summer. 

Some of the Great Society endeavors, in addition to Head Start, include Medicare, Medicaid, the War on Poverty, the National Endowment for the Arts, National Endowment for the Humanities,  PBS and the Kennedy Center.  There is so much more.  If you're interested, this article on Wikipedia gives a good overview.  

Great Society

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 7

deborahlynn1979

Chel$y ha$ a new po$t up with lot$ of brea$tfeeding clothing recommendation$ for new mom$ on her blog.

HereticHick
Just now, deborahlynn1979 said:

Chel$y ha$ a new po$t up with lot$ of brea$tfeeding clothing recommendation$ for new mom$ on her blog.

She also acknowledges that you can wear some of these garments without--gasp--a camisole underneath if you want! Fetch Steve his smelling salts.

Honestly, do we need pile on a stay at home mom for trying to make a few bucks?  Those windows ain't gone frame themselves. : )

deborahlynn1979
1 minute ago, HereticHick said:

She also acknowledges that you can wear some of these garments without--gasp--a camisole underneath if you want! Fetch Steve his smelling salts.

Honestly, do we need pile on a stay at home mom for trying to make a few bucks?  Those windows ain't gone frame themselves. : )

I don't particularly care if she wants some sweet-sweet affiliate money, but I was under the impression that her style of living means the man makes the money, no? These people always talk about how the woman's place is in the home and the man's place is out in the world supporting the family on his own, but everyone is reaching for that brass ring at all times, no matter the gender.

kpmom
2 hours ago, deborahlynn1979 said:

I don't particularly care if she wants some sweet-sweet affiliate money, but I was under the impression that her style of living means the man makes the money, no? These people always talk about how the woman's place is in the home and the man's place is out in the world supporting the family on his own, but everyone is reaching for that brass ring at all times, no matter the gender.

Yes, I doubt they turn down the money made by Sarah and her books, and Teri and her books.

I guess as long as it's done at home and not out in the world the women can make money. 

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Giraffe

As long as the mom doesn’t have a job she drives to, she’s allowed to bring in income. It’s all very Proverbs 31 🙄

• Upvote 11
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 5
  • Love 1

Ozlsn
10 hours ago, Giraffe said:

As long as the mom doesn’t have a job she drives to, she’s allowed to bring in income. It’s all very Proverbs 31 🙄

So walking distance is OK? How about biking? I reckon they could squeeze at least a 5km radius out of that. 

Jody
On 8/15/2019 at 3:22 PM, anachronistic said:

Jody - that is not a good example. Severe physical disabilities or disabilities of any type do not limit your ability to enjoy life. Untreated depression and an upbringing that causes you to lose opportunities and have almost no choices do. 

Yup, but they CAN, which is why I mentioned it. I didn’t say that that was always the case.

meee
2 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

So walking distance is OK? How about biking? I reckon they could squeeze at least a 5km radius out of that. 

Biking? Wait, I need to clutch my pearls.

(I don't actually know, do these girls bike in those long skirts? Either way, sounds incredibly unsafe to me.)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 2

SPHASH

Didn't Amish Anna make and sell soap and shut that business down when she became Prissy Chris's helpmeet?

Foudeb

This makes me wonder how the OfMaxwells deal with breastfeeding during family meals. We all know the merest glimpse of boob sends Stevus in a frenzy. Is there another room they go to? Would have the additional advantage of giving them some steve free time. 

VBOY9977

I noticed in the breastfeeding post that Chelsy dyed her hair blonde. Is this the first time a Maxwell has done this?

69401919-1DCE-43A0-B0E2-0D4077CE5397.jpeg

Happy
PennySycamore
14 hours ago, Foudeb said:

This makes me wonder how the OfMaxwells deal with breastfeeding during family meals. We all know the merest glimpse of boob sends Stevus in a frenzy. Is there another room they go to? Would have the additional advantage of giving them some steve free time. 

The women either go to another room or they can be like this one new mom that came to my LLL meeting years ago:  she did not use a usual nursing cover, a nursing blouse or even use a blanket; she covered herself and the baby with a sheet.  This mom came to only one meeting but I do hope that she got more comfortable with nursing her baby.  It's good for mom and baby to make eye contact while nursing (and for mom to be able to see what's going on) and, while I'm not a huge fan of nursing covers, most of them are designed so that mom and baby have eye contact.  

Melissa1977
23 hours ago, Foudeb said:

Excuse me? Maxwell babies must be scheduled! Nursing time cannot be at godly adults' meal time. 

(I truly hope they breastfeed on demand. But I highly doubt it).

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

browngrl
On 8/20/2019 at 3:19 PM, kpmom said:

I guess as long as it's done at home and not out in the world the women can make money. 

...and as long as the man gets to control how the money is spent and as long as the woman is not too successful - wouldn't want her making silly choices about how the money is used or getting it into her pretty little head that she might, maybe, possibly be as good as or better than her headship   😏