Coconut Flan

JRod 90: Mrs. Bennett with Goat Photos

Tired
Coconut Flan

Continued from here:

Fruitcake
7 minutes ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

CLEAN CARFAX ON THE UTERUS! 

This needs to be on something. Thread title, post reputation status, t-shirt, custom Tervis for one’s Plexus...

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 12
  • Love 8

Lurky

Wow, that advert for Kaylee was wrong on SO many levels, but it struck me how the so many of the things Jill talked about Kaylee doing for her siblings are things I'd expect a parent to be in charge of.

I completely get that a lot of teens help out with their siblings, and I did too, but Jill's quiverfull lifestyle is *only* possible because her oldest children are parenting the younger ones.  Kaylee, and likely Nurie and Renee, clearly have to prioritise feeding, teaching and supervising the little children, and parenting them.  The only thing we know about these young people is what Jill tells us, but it's no surprise Jill never tells us about their hobbies, or their favourite academic subjects, because it seems like they only have time for parenting, working for their living in the "music ministry" that is paying for their food, and helping their mother.  It's so, so sad that if Jill is successful, and her advertising gets her daughters quiverfull husbands, running their own homes and bringing up their own families will be less work for her than she's doing now.

Whooping_Butt

Kaylee needs to get on Farmers Only. 

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 20
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

Waffle Time
Beermeet

So much make up on (and) Kaylee.  Distraction from her natural beauty.  It's always the same look too. Some mascara and lip gloss would look so much better on her. She's so young, nothing more is needed. Makeup or no makeup is such a personal choice and I just don't understand why they must wear this. To please Jill I'm sure. Least of their problems but, still.  Kaylee, from what we get to see, seems to prefer no make up.  Farmers wife, eh?  Um, working the farm is hard, honest work. Makeup is useless and long skirts are too.  If she wishes to meet and marry a farmer a good place to start would be you know, working at a farm, showing animals, working a booth at a farmers market......pretty much anything but what Jill has the child doing. 

snickerz

Jill: Come to think of it, I have a daughter named Kaylee, too! And she's really good at dipping up plates of food! Any (*cough, Plath*) farmers interested?

Meh
Dandruff
2 hours ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

Yeah I'm still wondering if Kaylee genuinely likes farm work or what.

I'll guess it's "what", as in a farmer would be nice but whoever can get her TF out of Rodville would do.

31 minutes ago, snickerz said:

dipping up plates of food

How, exactly, would this happen?  It sounds gross.  I'm imagining a plate being swept in and out of a pot of food, causing burns and a massive mess.

I'm glad that Sofia has someone who cares for her (voluntarily or not).  IIRC, she had an especially long "precious nursing baby Sofia" phase before becoming "#12".

Spent
ViolaSebastian
1 hour ago, Beermeet said:

So much make up on (and) Kaylee.  Distraction from her natural beauty.  It's always the same look too. Some mascara and lip gloss would look so much better on her. She's so young, nothing more is needed. Makeup or no makeup is such a personal choice and I just don't understand why they must wear this. To please Jill I'm sure. Least of their problems but, still.  Kaylee, from what we get to see, seems to prefer no make up.  Farmers wife, eh?  Um, working the farm is hard, honest work. Makeup is useless and long skirts are too.  If she wishes to meet and marry a farmer a good place to start would be you know, working at a farm, showing animals, working a booth at a farmers market......pretty much anything but what Jill has the child doing. 

I just hope she has some idea of what she's getting into. I don't doubt she works very, very hard making up the slack for her POS parents, but farm life is hard. I grew up in Iowa in the Farm Aid era and came away knowing farming is so much more difficult than the idyllic life that some people think it is. Not everyone is properly suited to that life, although I thank goodness for people who are. I just keep thinking of that PBS Frontline called "The Farmer's Wife." https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/farmerswife/

Lurky
Posted (edited)

The thing about "Kaylee wants to marry a farmer" was just said that once, right?  I wonder how true that was - is? - given Jill is such an unreliable narrator.

Still, I can't help comparing Jill to the parents of the Seven Sisters, who were homeschooled, but deeply involved in one of those US organisations (4H?) that taught them super-useful skills, and they took part in county fairs etc.  If this really is a dream of Kaylee's, Jill should be doing everything to get her involved in a Future Farmers of America (for example), or signed up to agriculture/animal husbandry/business management related community college courses, so she can learn the skills.  I suspect for Jill, "farmer's wife" means sitting in the farmhouse raising the children, and having a meal on the table for the husband at the end of the day, but even I, 100% a city girl, know that there's no separation between farm and family life, and everyone (apart from incredibly wealthy agri-business/landed gentry types) works, and bloody hard.

And even if she didn't end up marrying a farmer, skills she'd develop through learning would help her in anything else she wanted to do.  I would never blame Kaylee for not knowing that these things exist, but Jill did her trade-based training, it's endlessly infuriating that her daughters aren't allowed what she had.

ETA look at the amazing wide range of training FFA can provide - so many transferable skills!  And young people can be members through to college age, too.

https://www.ffa.org/participate/cde-lde/

The public speaking and communications modules would be a double win if Kaylee has a heart for ministry, but there are such a wide range of modules there. 

Edited by Lurky
  • Upvote 21
  • I Agree 8
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

Tired
FecundFundieFundus

Jill's brought it up twice now to my recollection. I still wonder if Kaylee would actually prefer to live in a rural adjacent town or even a small city- enough to playact as The Pioneer Woman or Joey + Rory Feek, but not so much do manual labor from sun up to sun down, struggle with money and live any of the realities of running a non-hobby farm.

My speculation comes from Kaylee's different style of makeup and outfit, I'm not sure it's easy to experiment with either of those in that house but she does usually do something a little different than you see on Nurie, Jill or Renee. I wonder if she's more in tune with trends and would like to wear modern styles. The only other clue to who she really is I can think of is seeing her perform in the Plexus skits and contrasting that to her performing at church or in backgrounds of videos; she was energetic and vivacious while performing the skit she wrote. My speculation is she would do incredibly well at a small town community college where she can get involved with events and performances and clubs, live in a little house share and quietly drink coffee on the back porch, maybe help a friend with a chicken coop, and go to Goat Yoga to get awesome Insta selfies. Then the gods of Wet n Wild, Conair, ELF, Miss A, and Coastal Scents can enter her life with 50% off sales and she can watch YouTube tutorials and figure out what she wants her look to be. 

• Upvote 24
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Love 3

mair73

I just saw the blatant advertisements for Kaylee. Gross. Just fucking gross. So cringeworthy and now I feel like I need to shower with brillo. 

I'm sure she is in a downright panic that the suitors aren't tripping over themselves beating down their door. It occurs to me if you can see how over the top Jill is on social media, can you imagine how she is in person?  

I'm sure they interact with the family and think oh hell no!!

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 17

DillyDally

I guess no photo shoot at the parking lot of the NICE Olive Garden for (and Kaylee) then, a headshot with a goat will have to do as advertisement.

Tired
FecundFundieFundus
Just now, DillyDally said:

I guess no photo shoot at the parking lot of the NICE Olive Garden for (and Kaylee) then, a headshot with a goat will have to do as advertisement.

She hasn't graduated yet. This is but the prelude.

• Upvote 13
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 2

OhNoNike

It shows Jill’s ignorance, too.  I have friends who are farmers and they are, how do I put this... not the type to take cutesy photos with the livestock.  I know they care about the animals, but there is definitely a distance there.  These are not some animals from a petting zoo.  They are animals you are raising for goods (milk, meat, etc).  Even their cats are part of a working farm (mousers) and I don’t see these people all dolled up cuddling them.  It’s not really a great advertisement for Kaylee.  A good advertisement would be for her mucking a stall or getting the calf puller (the image of this has me laughing)... 

JermajestyDuggar
Posted (edited)

I’m thinking Nurie is Jane Bennett, Kaylee is Elizabeth, and Renee is Kitty. But who is Lydia? Who will run off with the first guy she meets? I hope a few of the younger girls leave Jill at their first chance. Thankfully the most “Mr Collins-ish” fundie is already married. Joshua Bontrager. So Kaylee is safe. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 13
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

Wine time!
Spanger

In order to have pictures of Kaylee mucking a stall and getting the calf puller, that would require the Rod parents to help get her in a situation to be actually doing those activities.  I don’t think she’s ever had an opportunity to do that.  Which is a reflection of the Rods being kinda crappy parents- they have friends with farms/etc, and they’re always on cross country trips anyway, so how hard could it be for them to plan visits to give Kaylee some of these opportunities?  I’m sure some of the other kids would enjoy learning/doing too- what a great learning experience.

Kaylee did appear to be working hard AND enjoying herself when she visited the Pearls with Nurie.  I know that one week is probably not a full representation of real farm life or anything, but it makes me so sad that she doesn’t get more chances to learn and help than that.  I’m pretty sure just about any country/farm family they visit would love to have the assistance of an enthusiastic and curious set of helping hands, even if it meant having to teach her each task.  And Kaylee would probably enjoy it too.  It’s really shitty of the Rods not to encourage her  more, especially when it seems like it would be easily manageable for them to do so.  They do not deserve to be in charge of educating all of those wonderful children.

JenniferJuniper

Most people who think they'd like to live and work on a farm have no idea what it would really be like.   

And let's face it, the Rods don't care much who takes their daughters off their hands.  So long as he's a KJB believing Trump lover who brings Dollar Store trinkets to Jill on a regular basis, they'll be good with him.

• Upvote 18
  • Sad 5
  • I Agree 7

Happy
Griftthatkeepsongrifting
1 hour ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

Jill's brought it up twice now to my recollection. I still wonder if Kaylee would actually prefer to live in a rural adjacent town or even a small city- enough to playact as The Pioneer Woman or Joey + Rory Feek, but not so much do manual labor from sun up to sun down, struggle with money and live any of the realities of running a non-hobby farm.

This makes a ton of sense. I wonder is (and Kaylee) mentioned she'd like to live on a farm and Jill jumped to her marrying a farmer. Heaven forbid Kaylee be allowed to pursue that lifestyle for herself vs. marrying whomever fits the bill. 

And as others have mentioned, fuck you, Jill. 

Tired
FecundFundieFundus

I actually brought up Joey and Ree because their spouses did the farming/ranching and while they helped out, they did more housewife type things- homeschool, baking, running a cafe, singing, etc. Kaylee may actually have said she wants to marry a farmer if she likes the lifestyle people like them present. I would be very very surprised if she isn't reasonably familiar with Rory Feek, in addition to being prolife (his wife postponed cancer treatment because she was pregnant iirc) he's a country singer and INCREDIBLY sappy/romantic. Jill probably wishes she was married to him. 

MayMay1123

didn't i just read that micah plath is a farmer? i'm sure this is why we have the sudden advertisements for (andkaylee). jill wouldn't mind getting her out earlier than preciousnurie, i don't think she likes her much.

calvinandhobbes
20 minutes ago, MayMay1123 said:

didn't i just read that micah plath is a farmer? i'm sure this is why we have the sudden advertisements for (andkaylee). jill wouldn't mind getting her out earlier than preciousnurie, i don't think she likes her much.

I think Jill reads here and decided to start pushing Kaylee hard.  Hosanna’s wedding is in June and she wants to parade Kaylee around the room so to speak.  If she can drum up some competition perhaps it will spur an admirer into action.  Kaylee is still so young but I think Josie Bates was Kaylee’s age when she was special friends with Kelton Balka.  

Mrs. Bennet indeed 😁

Caroline Bingley:
Miss Elizabeth, let us take a turn about the room.

[Caroline takes Lizzy's arm in hers, and they walk gracefully in a circle around the room]

Caroline Bingley:
It's refreshing, is it not after sitting so long in one attitude?

Elizabeth Bennet:
And it is a small kind of accomplishment, I suppose.

Caroline Bingley:
Will you not join us, Mr. Darcy?

Mr. Darcy:
You can only have two motives, Caroline and I would interfere with either.

Caroline Bingley:
What can he mean?

Elizabeth Bennet:
Our surest way of disappointing him will be to ask him nothing about it.

Caroline Bingley:
But Do tell us, Mr. Darcy.

Mr. Darcy:
Either you are in each other's confidence and have secret affairs to discuss, or you are conscious that your figures appear to the greatest advantage by walking. If the first, I should get in your way. If the second, I can admire you much better from here.

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 12
  • Love 1

LilMissMetaphor

I have no photo editing skills, but J-Bennet is totally a thing.

Untitled design.png

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 39
  • Love 5

Alisamer

For all we know, Kaylee may have once said "hey mom, can I plant a couple tomatoes on the back patio?" and Jill took that to mean "She wants to marry a farmer!!!!"

But if she does really want to, she needs to be learning what that is like. Farmer's wives don't sit in the house popping out babies, they work hard every single day. If she does marry a farmer, those skirts will disappear super fast - they are no good for driving tractors and such. (Except, I suppose, if her husband leans toward the Amish end of things...) Farmer's wives are themselves farmers. If she really did say she wanted to marry a farmer, they should have put her in 4H or something post-haste. You can't marry a farmer without meeting a farmer, and he's going to expect a partner to help run the farm. Farm life doesn't look like Green Acres.

But who knows. TIJWTA

But yes, free Kaylee. I hope she finds a way to learn who she is and what she really wants, and manages to escape the crazy. 

OhNoNike

@Alisamer - I highly suspect meeting a farmer isn’t the problem. I think they have a lucky guy in mind already, which is why she’s selling her so hard. 

We haven’t heard much about Nuries interest in being a pastor’s wife, have we?  That’s another one Jill sold hard for a while.