IGNORED

Dillards 74: The Dill in the Pickle

samurai_sarah

7 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

Apparently it was Derick’s birthday yesterday! Aside from the wonderful gift of Georgia and Tennessee passing those fucking heartbeat bills, he also (per Instagram) got a Netflix subscription. I wonder what he’ll be watching?

I checked instagram because of this and noticed she has 666 posts...a sure sign that Netflix is of the devil right? ?

Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 8.24.21 PM.png

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 25
  • Love 2

On 3/8/2019 at 5:12 PM, Kelsey said:

In Derick's case, I don't think it matters how low the salary is. He just isn't a job type person.

I don't think unpaid internships should be a thing. Surely these large firms and our government could at least pony up minimum wage.

My college wouldn’t allow anyone to take an unpaid internship and have it count for school unless it was a nonforprofit. 

• Upvote 4

I wish non paid internship was a thing. I finally landed a good one in my last semester of college, and had to sign up for (aka pay for) a "field experience" course in order to get it. What it came down to as far as I can see is insurance. The company not only didn't have to pay me but if I got injured while I was there it was my school's responbility, not theirs. I actually begged the company I interned with to keep me on, willing to go without pay, hoping it would move me up the chain when a job opportunity came up, The insurance bit is the answer I got.

PS - a Netflix subscription? Jill should check out Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Though they'll probably watch a couple of episodes of Fuller House and then turn it off appalled by the Nike outfits and cussing and sexual content.  (DJ Tanner aka  Candance Cameron Bure says damn, kisses men who aren't her husband and wears short dresses!) 

Edited by bella8050
added thought
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 1

I'd love to be a fly on the wall if they check out Grace and Frankie.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 16
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

Apparently it was Derick’s birthday yesterday! Aside from the wonderful gift of Georgia and Tennessee passing those fucking heartbeat bills, he also (per Instagram) got a Netflix subscription. I wonder what he’ll be watching?

I hope The Umbrella Academy so he can help Jill realize how dysfunctional her own family is. But I doubt it since Klaus is a little bit too gay for them.  

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

New messipe up, guys.  Mediterranean pizza!  Jilly starts strong with homemade crust... then loads it up with canned veg... specifically, mushrooms.  

• Upvote 3
  • Disgust 5
  • WTF 3
  • Haha 3
  • Thank You 3

You'd think fresh mushrooms would be LESS work than canned. You can literally buy a package of sliced mushrooms, rather than have to open and drain a can. 

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

On 3/8/2019 at 2:02 PM, socalrules said:

It won’t be hard for Derrick to get an internship this summer, it likely just won’t be paid. Everyone I know was able to get something during the summer but, if you have only finished your first year, there isn’t much you can do so you aren’t worth paying a salary.

Seriously? Where did you go to law school? I graduated 10 years ago, albeit from a T14 (don't want to out myself, but closer to 1 than 14) and I don't know anybody who wasn't paid in the summer. Many of us worked for profs, got a salary - not a great one but actually reasonably decent. A bunch of people got summer jobs at firms that were paid as well.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

New messipe up, guys.  Mediterranean pizza!  Jilly starts strong with homemade crust... then loads it up with canned veg... specifically, mushrooms.  

Honestly, that looks like the best recipe she's ever posted. Minus the canned veggies, the pizza looks decent. Canned mushrooms sucked though, I use fresh ones all the time and it's probably the easiest vegetable to chop, she's so lazy and used to cans, it's ridiculous.

And although I'm not married or have any kids, this comes from a very lazy cook who eats salads all week because I work and go to Medical School full time, I'm super busy too but I try to use fresh stuff, the only canned food I eat is tuna.

• Upvote 14

4 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

Seriously? Where did you go to law school? I graduated 10 years ago, albeit from a T14 (don't want to out myself, but closer to 1 than 14) and I don't know anybody who wasn't paid in the summer. Many of us worked for profs, got a salary - not a great one but actually reasonably decent. A bunch of people got summer jobs at firms that were paid as well.

I went to a third/fourth tier (depending on that year’s rankings) school in Southern California. I don’t know if the tiers have changed but it was only 1 - 4 tiers when I was in school. We had about 250-300 first years  going into second year. So Yes, very few people from our school were paid for working the summer after first year. It was easy to get an internship but not one that paid. Most people just did an internship in public interest or with the government. Work with professors tended to go to third year students or the first year students. Plus, Southern California s is a tough market because everyone wants to be here during the summer and, when you get something, either paid or unpaid, so many people there with you did not come from area schools. 

After second year, it was much easier to get a paid position, although a lot of people did externships for class credit. Our school had to compete with UCLA and USC for paid work in the summer, so that was always a strike against us getting paid work. I never tried for paid work because I was only interested in City Attorney or District Attorney’s office and they do not pay. 

Edited by socalrules
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

7 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

what is her obsession with canned mushrooms?

never in my life have i had that. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

47 minutes ago, nst said:

what is her obsession with canned mushrooms?

never in my life have i had that. 

Don't.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 10
  • I Agree 3

5 hours ago, HermioneSparrow said:

Canned mushrooms sucked though, I use fresh ones all the time and it's probably the easiest vegetable to chop, she's so lazy and used to cans, it's ridiculous.

I never had a fresh mushroom until I was a teenager.  I love fresh mushrooms,  but when you're used to the canned ones,  they taste pretty good too.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

To me, a fresh mushroom girl, canned mushrooms taste more like the can than the mushroom. Also, laziness can’t be a factor here, fresh, pre sliced mushrooms can be purchased in all grocery stores.

• Upvote 6

I grew up with canned mushrooms. Fresh ones? Clearly a sign that people were trying to poison me. :) I used to love the cans back then, not only for the taste, but they sported a picture of Cardinal Richelieu for no reason I recall. I loved the "3 Musketeers" as a kid, so any reference was exciting. Even on mushy canned mushrooms. I was the brave musketeer, who valiantly faced a can, bearing my arch-enemy's visage.

One for all and all for one!

Yeah, I was a strange kid that turned into a strange adult.  

P.S.: I love fresh mushrooms these days. But I kind of miss shouting "One for all and all for one".

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 15
  • Love 1

Like @samurai_sarah I grew up with canned (well, jarred) being the only mushrooms available.  They were okay when you first opened the jar, but they went bad pretty quickly.  However, you can find fresh mushrooms in most any grocery store nowadays so there's little excuse not the use fresh mushrooms unless for some reason you just like canned better.  The canning process does cook them a bit so they're not quite raw.  

• Upvote 5

Have we already discussed Derick's 30th birthday post on the blog?  Why is he sitting on the dining room table? 

He's looking a little healthier/less gaunt lately.  Unfortunately, looks like he didn't get a comb or a shirt that fits in his gifts.  

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

Have we already discussed Derick's 30th birthday post on the blog?  Why is he sitting on the dining room table? 

He's looking a little healthier/less gaunt lately.  Unfortunately, looks like he didn't get a comb or a shirt that fits in his gifts.  

He looks like he's one of her children in that photo. 

• Upvote 2

We are mushroom lovers at my house. We mostly buy fresh but I do prefer canned for pizza. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:40 AM, nickelodeon said:

Hopefully the Crown, Orange is the New Black, Call the Midwife (awesome show actually, they cover everything and they don't sugarcoat anything either. I am hoping to buy all 8 seasons soon!), Full House, Fuller House,

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SassyPantswithASideofClass said:

Hopefully the Crown, Orange is the New Black, Call the Midwife (awesome show actually, they cover everything and they don't sugarcoat anything either. I am hoping to buy all 8 seasons soon!), Full House, Fuller House,

Countdown to Derick suddenly being an opinionated expert in the British royal family, women's prisons, ABORTION, and the breakdown of the traditional family in sinful San Francisco.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 12

7 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Canned fungi, :puke-front:

God bless you all who grew up or now eat totally fresh food. I was raised on casseroles with "cream of crap," didn't know how to buy a cucumber in the market and was amazed when someone made turkey soup from a turkey carcass instead of a can. Canned mushrooms were a luxury we didn't even think about. Now I try my best to be responsible--like only get meat if i can get it from local farmers, which is almost never since I'm poor. I live in Florida but the "fresh" oranges are from Peru and the "fresh" avocados are from god knows where. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 6

On 3/9/2019 at 11:12 PM, bella8050 said:

(DJ Tanner aka  Candance Cameron Bure says damn, kisses men who aren't her husband and wears short dresses!) 

Really? I thought she was super fundie like her brother.  Didn't she make some big deal about submitting to her husband?  ? I haven't watched the show---I assumed she would be following all the fundie rules.  Huh.  Interesting.

9 hours ago, JesSky03 said:

We are mushroom lovers at my house. We mostly buy fresh but I do prefer canned for pizza. 

Even though I prefer fresh or frozen veggies, I guess I don't really mind canned.  EXCEPT for mushrooms.  I really do not care for canned mushrooms, and especially, specifically on pizza!  It is funny you mentioned that you are just the opposite!  I do like to slice the fresh ones very, very thin and then they get cooked nicely on top of the pizza.  To each her own, though!  :D 

• Upvote 6

Candance did a talk I saw on YT a while back when I was checking out her brother, Kirk. She is down with the headship and submission thing, but she does kiss other men when needed for her work (although also says she is growing less comfortable with that as she gets older) and dresses like most celebrities. 

She was heavily influenced by Kirk and spent ‘years’ praying for her husband to come to Christ with her. She identifies as a conservative Christian and seems to hold similar beliefs to her brother, with some minor differences. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic