IGNORED

Dillards 74: The Dill in the Pickle

samurai_sarah

4 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@twoandthrough,  I'll have to ask my aunt sometime if she wished she had FaceTime or Skype back in the 60s in that year that my uncle was in Saigon and their youngest was three.  I remember that my aunt and uncle used to send tapes to each other.  They wanted to kids to hear their dad's voice in the year he was in Viet Nam.  

Ooohhh, I couldn't even IMAGINE what it was like without Skype / Facetime. It would be absolutely brutal. That's such a good idea, though, sending tapes! I record my husband reading books to our daughters before he leaves, and they love watching those at bedtime. 

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Markie said:

I looked a two Jill’s homeschooling resources. I like the math one. Using Base Tens helps a lot of kids. You can use it for place value, adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing, as well as for decimals. It’s a good resource. Her literacy materials look fine, as well. I like that she uses teacherspayteachers. There are lots of good things out there’s. It’s much more varied than her mom’s curriculum was, so pleasantly surprised...

Oh hey, first time poster here...

I too checked out the homeschool resources. I'm a special needs elementary school teacher (with a very liberal, social justice based background) and was surprised to see some secular resources I know and like. I was also surprised to see in the comments that she was specifically asking about things that supported writing readiness for higher education down the road, and having a strong science background when entering college. So...I went ahead and shared some resources I like, including science and social studies materials that align with national standards. Never commented before, unlikely to ever comment again, and it doesn't change the fact that our views are polar opposites...but if it helps those kids get a more balanced education in some small way, that's all I want for any child. 

I'm probably overly hopeful, but if I wasn't, I couldn't do my job. 

I've been married 43 years, and there's not a single picture of us kissing. Am I doing something wrong? ?

I've been married 43 years, and there's not a single picture of us kissing. Am I doing something wrong? [emoji23]

Our only ones are from our wedding day, and i hated that pose and kiss suggestion- its so freaken awkward

Jill’s #besthusbandever is sad. It sound like she has to justify Dericks actions to both herself and the world. 

She could have talked about how building paper airplanes is a fun family activity. #qualityfamilytime

They look such pathetic glued to each other's sides while their three year old sits alone on the other side of the table.

I would love to hear Wreck during that class, someone could easily makes his head explode. 

16 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

He's implying that when Roe v. Wade happened, people just didn't know that life begins at conception and something something therefore women are obligated to carry all pregnancies to term. However, since then medical science has developed to the point that, apparently, this is now common knowledge.

I imagine the conversations in that classroom were interesting...

You're not even IN LAW SCHOOL LIKE DERICK* and you conveyed the argument clearly and concisely.  He's gonna be such a shitty lawyer, if that's how he conveys his ideas.  He's indirect, full of buzzwords, and he argues like a simpleton.  He'll need to work hard to learn how to be persuasive.  

Right now he's just that guy in law school whose mom always told him that he was smart, he hangs out with people who agree with him, and so his best argument is just an eye roll and telling other people they're wrong.  

*(you might be in law school, but I can't pass up an opportunity to remind you that Derick is in LAW SCHOOL)

Did anyone see Jill's reply to the comment Becky (is that the notorious Becky M??) made on her Banana muffin post yesterday? Apparently Derick wants to be a "voice for the voiceless"????????? That's....interesting. 

image.thumb.png.05af97c99c1d7573adfdb1c64447d359.png

8 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

Did anyone see Jill's reply to the comment Becky (is that the notorious Becky M??) made on her Banana muffin post yesterday? Apparently Derick wants to be a "voice for the voiceless"????????? That's....interesting. 

image.thumb.png.05af97c99c1d7573adfdb1c64447d359.png

Is she trying to say he wants to work for a pro-life group such where Josh worked? I have a feeling Derick's goal is to infiltrate politics.

Oh great, Derick's going to replace 'voiceless' people's voice with his own. Just what they need, I'm sure.

And I'll be very surprised if the 'voiceless' he chooses to represent are anything other than unborn babies, MRAs, and the (dreadfully oppressed in the USA, as we all know) white Christians. 

I'm pretty sure he's going to try to work for the FRC hate group. FRC has their own legal team and attorneys.

Alliance Defending Freedom is affiliated with FRC. They hired one woman who went to Oak Brook College of Law (is that IBLP's law school?)

https://www.adflegal.org/about-us/attorneys

I could see crazy Derick attempting to do this. There are people out there still attempting to ban gay marriage: https://www.kgun9.com/news/national-politics/tennessee-lawmakers-introduce-bill-in-attempt-to-ban-gay-marriage

These crazies need to move on and do something more productive with their time. Young people have no tolerance for the intolerant and hateful. I remember as a young child I asked questions about why there were people against people marrying who they loved, making choices about their own body, and why people didn't have access to medical care. I'll never forget Rick Santorum saying, "Healthcare is a privilege not a right." He made me sick with that comment.

Why don't pro-lifers care about the voiceless children separated at the border from their parents?

21 hours ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

Wish I was a fly on the wall during this class. 

I find it interesting that he chose the words "grateful for the evolution of science . . ."  To me, that was carefully chosen and very Derick-y and baiting.  The Duggars have stated many times that they do not believe in evolution in the scientific sense.  I seem to remember Jana (?) explaining once that while evolution seems to make sense, once you read the bible, it proves that it isn't true.  ?

1 hour ago, luv2laugh said:

I'm pretty sure he's going to try to work for the FRC hate group. FRC has their own legal team and attorneys.

Alliance Defending Freedom is affiliated with FRC. They hired one woman who went to Oak Brook College of Law (is that IBLP's law school?)

https://www.adflegal.org/about-us/attorneys

I could see crazy Derick attempting to do this. There are people out there still attempting to ban gay marriage: https://www.kgun9.com/news/national-politics/tennessee-lawmakers-introduce-bill-in-attempt-to-ban-gay-marriage

These crazies need to move on and do something more productive with their time. Young people have no tolerance for the intolerant and hateful. I remember as a young child I asked questions about why there were people against people marrying who they loved, making choices about their own body, and why people didn't have access to medical care. I'll never forget Rick Santorum saying, "Healthcare is a privilege not a right." He made me sick with that comment.

Why don't pro-lifers care about the voiceless children separated at the border from their parents?

You'd think FRC wouldn't touch another Duggar with a 10 foot pole. 

1 hour ago, SorenaJ said:

BEC, but why is Jill schooling Izzy? He is just 3? Shouldn't he be out playing and making mudcakes? 

I work at a school and we run from Pre-K to Grade 8. Our Pre-K is made up of children aged 3-4. Once they turn 5, they start Kindergarten. (I live in Canada)

2 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

Wouldn't FRC be a little gun shy after the clusterfuck that resulted from hiring Josh Duggar?  I mean, they actively are trying to appeal to a wider audience.  Derick's past behaviour suggests he has difficulty staying on-message or toeing the party line.  Even if FRC espouses views that we find repugnant, I don't see them taking a risk with Derick Dillard.  

I mean, it's not as if we're talking a good-looking, charismatic young evangelical celeb - a Josh Harris circa 1998, or one of the cuter Bates boys, or a Chip or Joanna Gaines.  

People constantly bring up Derick working for FRC or somebody like that and it's very naive IMO. First of all, there are VERY few of these jobs available in comparison to how many fundies or conservative Christians you have graduating from law schools. Hell you'd no doubt be able to find a couple of dozen (being very conservative here) in the T14 alone. No need to dip down all the way to U Arkansas to a guy with zero charisma and no demonstrable critical thinking skills.

2 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

BEC, but why is Jill schooling Izzy? He is just 3? Shouldn't he be out playing and making mudcakes? 

At least to me, as a teacher, it's all about HOW you do it, more than anything else. Early childhood is so important and is a huge time of learning, so shaping that in a positive, creative way is a good thing. I started pre-school at 2 or 3 and still remember things I learned through all the hands-on play and activities. But throughout my early childhood, my mom incorporated all kinds of learning through play and exploration (as do the resources I mentioned in my previous post). I loved it!! I think if a kid is genuinely enjoying learning and it's done in a way that sparks interest and excitement, there's no such thing as too early. Of course, they should still be getting tons of time for free-play and creativity...and mud-cake making :).  That is part of learning, too. Obviously I'm not saying this is happening in the Dillard house; I have no idea what Jill is doing for free-play and expression, and Duggar homeschool history certainly doesn't bode well. Speaking more in general. 

ETA: sorry if this is worded really awkwardly, just got back from a looooong day with my kiddos...I work at an LD/BD school. My brain can't even figure out how to edit things right now. 

1 hour ago, viii said:

I work at a school and we run from Pre-K to Grade 8. Our Pre-K is made up of children aged 3-4. Once they turn 5, they start Kindergarten. (I live in Canada)

The school where my friend taught in Switzerland started this early too (perhaps earlier, can't recall). It was so well designed in terms of being developmentally appropriate! There were little stations all over for different kinds of imaginary play, coloring, book time, and so on. The kids got tons of social interaction and free play time, creative activities, exercise/outdoor play/healthy snacks, foundations set for learning...I really wish my students could have had something similar at that age. I wish the US as a whole was more turned in to the importance of play and exploration...too many schools are cutting recess, art, etc. 

Derik is unusually quiet about Jazzs gender conformation surgery. I wonder if he was given a come to Jesus talk at school. 

I do think that Derik is assuming that he will be given an internship simply because he is associated with the Duggers. I do think that he got the job at Walmart because he was associated with the Duggars. 

He probably got his job at Walmart through Cathy. She worked there for years.

Are the Duggars still a reputable name in NWA or would companies try to avoid working with them?

41 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Are the Duggars still a reputable name in NWA or would companies try to avoid working with them?

I’m sure forcing the county and town to spend taxpayer money to respond to the Duggars’ multiple lawsuits doesn’t go over well.  

6 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

You'd think FRC wouldn't touch another Duggar with a 10 foot pole. 

I doubt they'd even consider Derick.  I'm pretty sure they could find someone smarter, more eloquent, more personable, and without the negative PR baggage that he's got.

I can imagine Derick trying to defend the assholes who harass women outside clinics.

6 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

I think Derick wants his kids better educated than his in-laws.  The boys can't be Pistol Pete unless they can get into college.  Perhaps Derick told Jill that it's good homeschool education or they're going to Christian school?

This was one of Jill's replies to her post about Izzy's homeschooling.

85A2ACC2-228C-441A-B8F6-7C0030725E87.jpeg.706edbb59971317d3432161d79800e6d.jpeg

Also I was at Target today and came across this. Go pick one up Jill!

B4684D60-DCB4-4226-9A2F-B8037368AF34.thumb.jpeg.f341a3f179cbdccf61ebcaebc1891f5e.jpeg

51 minutes ago, bella8050 said:

This was one of Jill's replies to her post about Izzy's homeschooling.

85A2ACC2-228C-441A-B8F6-7C0030725E87.jpeg.706edbb59971317d3432161d79800e6d.jpeg

Also I was at Target today and came across this. Go pick one up Jill!

B4684D60-DCB4-4226-9A2F-B8037368AF34.thumb.jpeg.f341a3f179cbdccf61ebcaebc1891f5e.jpeg

Maybe??? My arse, that maybe, is the maybe that means no. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived