IGNORED

Dillards 74: The Dill in the Pickle

samurai_sarah

2 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

The first time I heard this it was from the patriarch of the Duck Dynasty clan, Phil Robertson. That seems to have swept across fundie-dom, because now Michelle is using it.

It sounds reasonable, but I'm sure there's a hook somewhere!

I've only ever heard this as a dog-whistle for homophobia. Translation: " Just because I treat people cruelly and hatefully doesn't mean I hate them! I just lovingly disagree!"

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

The first time I heard this it was from the patriarch of the Duck Dynasty clan, Phil Robertson. That seems to have swept across fundie-dom, because now Michelle is using it.

It sounds reasonable, but I'm sure there's a hook somewhere!

The hook, in my opinion, is the fact that it’s frequently used in regards to members of the lgbtq+ community. So fundies advocate for gay conversion therapy (which is a horrible form of abuse, didn’t Amnesty recognize it as a form of torture? Not sure about the last aspect though), against the rights of minorities, women, and the list goes on. This statement simply serves as a way for some to pat themselves  on the shoulder saying “well, I’m not hurtful, I just disagree with some unchristian people but I still love the gays and the blacks and unwed mothers, i just want them to live miserable lives”. It’s nothing more than an alibi for hatred. Also, disrespecting someone’s sexual orientation, for instance, is a rejection of the person’s identity so there’s that. 

11 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Derick reminds me of a friend of mine during her first semester of law school. Now, mind you, my friend is woke as fuck (spent a good portion of her three years of law school volunteering as a legal advocate for poor students of color who were getting unjustly suspended from school and as a "know your rights" volunteer at protests), smart as fuck, and got an awesome job straight out because she's just the fucking best, but in her first semester, she was very..."LOOK AT ME I AM IN LAW SCHOOL AND AM VERY SMART". Which was annoying and our friend group called her out on it, and she knocked it off very quickly. She was just genuinely super pumped about going to law school, but expressed it in a kind of obnoxious way. Derick has never knocked it off, and he is not nearly as smart and genuinely passionate about law as my friend is. 

And I agree that his language doesn't sound like an intelligent person just conveying their thoughts; he sounds like he's TRYING  to sound like an intelligent person. Very /r/iamverysmart. 

This is just Derick listing off all the reasons he's better than other people.  He must be terribly insecure - understandably, I suppose, as he's the Quasimodo of the Duggar married-ins.   

He has never followed the Scripture that tells Christians to "Clothe yourselves with humility toward one another because God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble."

10 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

If he treats her like that in public he probably treats her even worse in private. And in Central America they were alone so she pretty much only had him. That must have been where she realiesed what an ass he is.

How sad to be trapped in a marriage like that. She must really wonder what she did wrong. Being told your whole purpose in life is to produce children with the perfect husband God will provide for you if you’re godly enough would really fuck with your head. Especially if she sees all her sisters being happy with their husbands. Don’t agree with her shitty believes but I really feel for her.

How sad for Jill. Derick knew who he was marrying. I feel sorry for her. 

16 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I can't believe they're still bringing up the fact that Michelle used to mow the lawn in a bikini. WHO CARES? Lady, you've given birth on TV numerous times and I don't even want to count the number of times you've discussed your sex life with the viewing public. Spare me.

Seriously.  This coming from a man who dry humped his wife while on a double date with their daughter and her new bf. I don't care how covered up they were, that was gross. Ben was super uncomfortable and looked away. Jessa seemed ok with it, because she's used to that behavior.  I think that is worse than bikini lawn mowing. Gtfo JB & M. 

2 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

Seriously.  This coming from a man who dry humped his wife while on a double date with their daughter and her new bf. I don't care how covered up they were, that was gross. Ben was super uncomfortable and looked away. Jessa seemed ok with it, because she's used to that behavior.  I think that is worse than bikini lawn mowing. Gtfo JB & M. 

ikr? I was so uncomfortable watching JBoob and Me-chelle dry humping in public. Jessa looked and seemed indifferent and Ben looked embarrassed. Also  I have a feeling JBoob was turned on by Me-chelle mowing the lawn in a bikini....

On 3/20/2019 at 3:55 PM, lizzybee said:

I'm tempted to say that this advice came directly from JB and Michelle. I watched all 3 hours of their talk with David and Priscilla in Sacramento off their latest blog post yesterday (because apparently I have no life) and this was pretty close to the advice they gave someone who asked them a question about the one at the end. They essentially said that whether or not that person was the best person for you, once you're married that person is now 100% absolutely the one no matter what. Terrible advice if you're being abused or something, but that's what was said. 

Do you have a link for this so I can take a look? I looked through a few pages here trying to find a link but didn't come across one.

27 minutes ago, SassyPantswithASideofClass said:

ikr? I was so uncomfortable watching JBoob and Me-chelle dry humping in public. Jessa looked and seemed indifferent and Ben looked embarrassed. Also  I have a feeling JBoob was turned on by Me-chelle mowing the lawn in a bikini....

I think so too. I'm more on the side of bragging.  He's still that dork who got the pretty cheerleader with no convictions who mowed the lawn in a bikini.  He's gotta realize that a mental picture pops up in everyone's head that hears that.  A dose of pride that he got her and changed her. 

22 minutes ago, CharlieInCharge said:

Ahh! Thank you so much! My Friday night just got crazy!!! Party hearty!! Haha

Edited to add.....this is my 666th post! I was really trying to save that one for JRod but.....this works too! ;) 

Thanks to @CharlieInCharge, I'm watching again and remembered something else I thought was redic. JB right off the bat says " you married a drug addict but you could have married a preacher".  Well, sometimes pastors/preachers can delve into the world of drugs and "cheap" sex. See the pissing preachers former colleague.  Or say, your own fucking son, JB!!!11!! While not a preacher,  he was supposed to be Anna's godly spouse from a godly family. Anna was a godly woman from a godly family ........Yet, he's a major perv. Josh's cheating post marriage pales in comparison to his actions under your roof JB. So, I fail to see his point here.  

6 minutes ago, mollysmom said:

Ahh! Thank you so much! My Friday night just got crazy!!! Party hearty!! Haha

Edited to add.....this is my 666th post! I was really trying to save that one for JRod but.....this works too! ;) 

Hail Satan!  ?

Wow. I'm only about 25 minutes through. So Jim Bob's dad was bad with money (but still sent him to Christian school, which isn't cheap), and who did Boob call when their vehicle broke down? His sister had a child out of wedlock, Austin was rebellious, and his friend, the pastor's son turned away from God. But little Jim Bob was perfect. Glad I don't know them, I'd be under the bus for sure.

Shame on Boobert for speaking ill of his deceased father. Not cool. 

Considering we saw Austin on "worlds strictest parents ", I doubt he was rebellious in any way. He probably just didn't want to be beaten anymore and spoke up. Or,  didn't want to help out at the ranch joyfully all the time. Speculation, of course, but still. It's not like he was snorting coke off some tig ol' bitties.  These sorts are impossibly hard to please. They suck the fun and normal growing pains out of their kids. It can't be easy being that controlled.  And, in turn, the cycle of abuse in many forms continues.  

Jill took the boys shopping to get Israel a toothbrush and toothpaste as a "reward" for him finishing a workbook. I feel so horrible for him, he seems like such a sweet child, but his teeth look really awful. Why she is taking close up pics and putting them up on Instagram I'll never know.

15 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

Jill took the boys shopping to get Israel a toothbrush and toothpaste as a "reward" for him finishing a workbook. I feel so horrible for him, he seems like such a sweet child, but his teeth look really awful. Why she is taking close up pics and putting them up on Instagram I'll never know.

Wow. That's a "treat?" You could get the kid a little ball or some stickers or something. A pack of crayons. But a toothbrush? Lame.

37 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

Considering we saw Austin on "worlds strictest parents ", I doubt he was rebellious in any way. He probably just didn't want to be beaten anymore and spoke up. Or,  didn't want to help out at the ranch joyfully all the time. Speculation, of course, but still. It's not like he was snorting coke off some tig ol' bitties.  These sorts are impossibly hard to please. They suck the fun and normal growing pains out of their kids. It can't be easy being that controlled.  And, in turn, the cycle of abuse in many forms continues.  

This is the trap 2nd generation fundies fall into:

On the one hand, their parents are perfect and godly and raised them THE BEST WAY EVER, which includes Jesus at the center of their lives always.  But that means they often don't have a good testimony, which is VITAL in these communities.  Admitting "Yeah, I was raised in a Perfect Christian(tm) household, so I always knew Jesus and followed the Bible." isn't going to move anyone or turn heads.  But they can't criticize their parents either and admit their home life was anything other than perfectly happy.

So instead, they greatly exaggerate any youthful indiscretions or doubts they might have had in order to create a testimony worth listening to. Austin's "rebellion" was probably similar to how John Mulaney got a major in English: "They told me to read Jane Austen, and then I DIDN'T." Not exactly wild stuff, in some cases it might even still get you a college degree, but they'll make it sound like it was serious malfeasance because, you know, gotta get that testimony!

The main difference between a compelling testimony about reforming from rebellion and a rather wholesome stand up routine is the agenda of the speaker, as it turns out.  

5 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

Wow. That's a "treat?" You could get the kid a little ball or some stickers or something. A pack of crayons. ut a toothbrush? Lame.

I would have cried. 

1 minute ago, Dreadcrumbs said:

I would have cried. 

On the flip side, I know a toddler around Izzy's age who would LOVE to be able to pick out her toothbrush and toothpaste as a treat...especially if she gets to choose Princess or Paw Patrol branded items.  And there's a real ethical stance behind NOT getting kids trinkets as rewards, but instead taking those couple bucks and "upgrading" something that you know they'll use and enjoy.  I can't fault Jill for this because it's my stance as well. 

One of my rewards as a kid was a box of Cracklin' Oat Bran (a breakfast cereal).  It's one of the few cereals I like, but it's expensive and comes in a smaller box, so it wasn't very cost effective...which meant my mom wouldn't usually buy it.   Getting to put that box in the cart and have it for my breakfasts was a big deal to me as a kid.  That was a motivator, and it was special.  Kids can have bizarre motivators sometimes, but if toothbrushes work to motivate Izzy, it's much better IMO than getting him something he doesn't need and will only cause clutter.  

@Georgiana I see where you're coming from and you make a good point. I just don't have faith in fundies approaching rewards/motivators this way. ?

1 hour ago, Beermeet said:

In the 3 hour talk, they said Austin was smoking and drinking.

2 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

In the 3 hour talk, they said Austin was smoking and drinking.

Really? That weirdly surprises me and yet at the same time doesn't surprise me at all. I need to go back and find this talk, it sounds like a goldmine. I don't know if I'd ever get myself to sit through three hours of that, though... major props to those of you who could manage it.

2 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Really? That weirdly surprises me and yet at the same time doesn't surprise me at all. I need to go back and find this talk, it sounds like a goldmine. I don't know if I'd ever get myself to sit through three hours of that, though... major props to those of you who could manage it.

I've been enjoying the posts about it. I don't think I could make it through 3 hrs either.

32 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

That's the problem with a 3 hour tour of fundie talk. I watched twice but skipped around both times.  Missed that.  Wow!  I mean, I still don't consider that rebellion per say. It would depend on age. How old is he? In their world, it's legit. Too bad after hard work they can't enjoy a cold one. Color me shocked!  Geez, idk if I can go back for 3rds on the talk. 

ETA: @Georgiana  Testimony does seem to be key. Hence JRod finally having one via Janessa.  Which I find inappropriate at best.  

Also, there is a Janessa at my daughter's school. 

24 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

they said Austin was smoking and drinking.

Really? I thought they said his friend(s) were smoking and drinking... and one of them was a pastors son. The pastor's son was definitely smoking and drinking. I think Austin was the only godly boy in this group and he influenced another boy to be more godly and now that boy is married to his sister and Austin is married to Joy and their lives are great....meanwhile one of the other boys who didn't listen to Austin...well he (accidentally?) fucking gouged his eye out with a screwdriver or some shit!

...That's what happens.

I don't think he said Austin did any of that baaad stuff but he had to separate himself from his friends that did and lead who would listen out. Which is good because otherwise with all that house flipping he would have certainly lost an eye or cut off his hand by now.

Is Derick just trying to troll here or is he implying he actually drinks alcohol?

image.png.87202d3a3aba9e54a467cfb515c818ac.png

Edit: for more context, I think people were reacting to the part in his new little blog post where he lists 'risky' things he's done and includes a bullet point for "and numerous unmentionables, which can only be heard over a cold frosty (so says one of my professors)." 

I'm guessing he's full of shit and just trying to walk the line to stir controversy. But the idea of a Duggar husband drinking, I can only imagine JB's reaction. Maybe Derick is just creating his strife for his testimony later down the line. Hah.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived