IGNORED

Dillards 74: The Dill in the Pickle

samurai_sarah

And I don’t actually *need* to stick to a strict grocery budget anymore, but I like having that money for other things and have some ingrained habits left from early in my career when I budgeted $30/week for groceries (for just me). I meal plan every week, making sure to use any perishables I already have on hand, then fill in the gaps from the pantry/freezer or whatever is on sale that week. I get lunch at work once per week, and plan to go out for dinner once/week. Otherwise, I cook/prepare everything I eat. I live in one of the most expensive cities in the US (Boston), and manage to eat a diet of mostly fresh/“real” foods for $60/week. I know I have a lot of resources that’s other might not have (notably enough free/flexible time to plan and prep meals every weekend), but Jill seemingly has tons of free time to cook better food.

for the curious, i get most of my recipes from budgetbytes.com

Edited by mpheels
I need to proofread better...
  • Upvote 11
  • Thank You 6

Is D Wreck always on Jill’s Instagram? This is the second time I have seen him reply to her followers. Man, you got your own Instagram. 

Wouldn’t bother me normally for anyone else but he is a dick wad, so it does. 

CC7F8B04-50EC-45FF-AFE8-D0037A3C1A5F.png

049FE379-FD4D-40E0-8329-E256DE422376.png

Edited by AussieKrissy
Ahhhh now I see hers is more popular than yours.
  • Upvote 1

Interesting insight to the Dillard marriage. Derick doesn't believe in finding "the one." I feel like that makes it more likely that Jill fit his list of criteria and he married her without worrying about compatibility or really getting to know one another. They don't divorce so obviously it will work, because there is no other alternative.

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, kmachete14 said:

But I could see how one different decision in college might have led be down a different path where I would have found someone else. Regardless of these ponderings, he's still my "one" once we're married (and in my eyes, right now too lol).

I often think about how different my life could have been and wonder who I would have become without Mr Way. Everyone I know have met their partners while studying or working in the same place, through mutual friends or online. Almost everyone lived in the same city when they met and there were many chances for them to run into eachother.

Mr Way and I come from different sides of the world and met while travelling. We were heading different directions and our travelplans overlapped in one place for less then 24 hours. Had one of us chosen a slightly different path, a different hostel or a different dorm room we would never have met. If one of us had made different dinner plans we probably wouldn’t have had time to talk to eachother. Such a tiny window. If I was religious I’d say God had a hand in this pairing, but I’m not so I think it was just dumb luck. 

• Upvote 15
  • Love 23

Came here just to talk about Derrick's comments. If my husband wrote a post like that I would be devastated. He is basically saying he is not in love with her. Even if that's true, how hideous to write about it on a public forum. ☹️

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 13
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, lizzybee said:

Here is the link for this specific conversation for "the one.

Good grief, that is such absolute nonsense. What terrible advice to give to anybody, let alone (I assume) their own children in courtships/marriages. 

JB "Well you are with a drug addict but you COULD have had a pastor." 

Michelle "I've known people in rocky relationships but one of them gives themself and their relationship completely over to God and their relationship is better in the end." 

Delusion. Who is paying to hear this? 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, mpheels said:

And I don’t actually *need* to stick to a strict grocery budget anymore, but I like having that money for other things and have some ingrained habits left from early in my career when I budgeted $30/week for groceries (for just me). I meal plan every week, making sure to use any perishables I already have on hand, then fill in the gaps from the pantry/freezer or whatever is on sale that week. I get lunch at work once per week, and plan to go out for dinner once/week. Otherwise, I cook/prepare everything I eat. I live in one of the most expensive cities in the US (Boston), and manage to eat a diet of mostly fresh/“real” foods for $60/week. I know I have a lot of resources that’s other might not have (notably enough free/flexible time to plan and prep meals every weekend), but Jill seemingly has tons of free time to cook better food.

for the curious, i get most of my recipes from budgetbytes.com

wow I wish I could stick to that budget! I also live in Boston and I usually spend ~$80/week for just me. I do have a lot of food limitations due to dairy/nut allergies, which means I end up eating more meat than other people and thus have a little bit of a higher grocery bill. I can't eat beans much either, which is also generally a good way to save money. 

I do really enjoy that Boston does not have any plastic grocery bags anymore though (I live in the city itself. I know some of the suburbs do still have plastic bags). You can either bring your own or pay 5 cents for every biodegradable bag you use. It's gone into effect across the entire city since the beginning of the year and already I'm noticing way more people using reusable bags.

That was a bit of a random tangent. Sorry. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Lurky said:

it's sad that as her circumstances have changed, she's just making the recipes *more* unhealthy.

It seems like all of the Duggars are eating healthier, even at the TTC. They have more money now, Ben’s been a good influence, Jana’s growing veggies, and Jeremy’s clearly health-conscious. There’s an awareness of gluten and sugar free options.  Jessa and Jinger don’t want to put cream of crap soup in everything. Why is Jill doubling down on food that her mother only made because she had too many kids and too little time and money?

• Upvote 10

2 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

I watched it as well. What did you think of how  Michelle answered the question “Why do 2 of your oldest daughters wear skirts and the others wear pants now?” I felt Michelle became visibly upset and was shading Derick by saying “Men are gentlemen and open doors for me because I look like a woman... blah blah ‘weareth not which pertaineth to a man’ blah blah... BUT the leader will have to give an account of how he lead! Modesty is everything.” And how quickly JB jumped in to cut her off and shut it down (when she referred to how leader has to give an account to God on how he lead?) Again, when they were asked the denomination question, I felt both JB and David were referring to Derick. 

In my opinion, David Waller was shading them when he mentioned “Girls brought up with modesty and throw it out the window after marriage (look at Michelle’s face when he said that)”

I believe the anonymous “friend” of David that “fell away” by getting pregnant out of wedlock and is playing the “dating game” is actually Priscilla’s sister and it was wrong of them to bring it up.

I think David Waller is trying to replace Josh and get into the family... Michelle introduced them as basically one of her kids and mentioned Priscilla being Anna’s sister but no mention of Josh.

Also, David is following JB’s ways by his recent acquisition of the 2nd home.

They also mentioned how God gives signs about finances such as a river drying up (just like money) to search for another path (or another job).  David mentioned struggling and I think he believes IBLP is drying up financially,  it’s also been reported it has been, and I think he wants to work for Jim Bob...

Would anyone be willing to share when the modesty part is in the video? I don’t want to watch all but can’t find it. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Firebird said:

Interesting insight to the Dillard marriage. Derick doesn't believe in finding "the one." I feel like that makes it more likely that Jill fit his list of criteria and he married her without worrying about compatibility or really getting to know one another. They don't divorce so obviously it will work, because there is no other alternative.

The campus christians circles I was running around in in the late 90's/early 00's, heavily influenced by I Kissed Dating Goodbye and similar dreck, literally believed that marrying someone according to a list of godly criteria was preferable to being swayed by "temporary emotions."  Lots of nonsense about how the feeling of "love" falls away around 18 months after meeting someone ("enough time to conceive and birth a baby, plus a few months") and that choosing a partner by criteria meant you wouldn't be influenced by all those feelings.

Our leaders taught us that compatability, "the one," "love at first sight" and similar were worldly, lustful ideas that would lead us astray. 

Please note these were also organizations in which a young woman who was deeply religious and also deeply in love with her girlfriend was heavily pressured about her sinful lifestyle, to the extent that she publically broke up with her girlfriend during a meeting :annoyed:

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 16

11 hours ago, karen77 said:

Very interesting. Some is actually decent advice.

But not waiting for the "one'...so he didn't, Jill isn't it? but then he states that she is? what?

Obviously, he is the face of pious wisdom....er....yes.
image.thumb.png.cabb33afddfa69b01944bb5d6037614a.png

• Disgust 1
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, endsidehugs28 said:

wow I wish I could stick to that budget! I also live in Boston and I usually spend ~$80/week for just me. I do have a lot of food limitations due to dairy/nut allergies, which means I end up eating more meat than other people and thus have a little bit of a higher grocery bill. I can't eat beans much either, which is also generally a good way to save money. 

I do really enjoy that Boston does not have any plastic grocery bags anymore though (I live in the city itself. I know some of the suburbs do still have plastic bags). You can either bring your own or pay 5 cents for every biodegradable bag you use. It's gone into effect across the entire city since the beginning of the year and already I'm noticing way more people using reusable bags.

I have a deadly allergy to nuts. I have a hard time finding pre made meals that are safe. I have to make most things from scratch because nuts are like the Spanish Inquisition. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

Ofjill states: "For example, one myth I hear going around in the Christian millennial world is this notion of “the one.”  Young singles expect to see the clouds part and hear the hallelujah chorus when they meet their soul mate, and if that hasn’t happened, then they believe that they must continue waiting for “the one.”  If you carry this thinking into married life, you may even question yourself about whether you passed up “the one” or should have waited a little longer because “the one” was just over the horizon.  If you’re married (to a Christian or not), “the one” is always going to be who you are married to.  My “one” is always Jill Michelle Dillard.  If you aren’t married, don’t wait for a perfect person because you’ll just die single." 

Damn. What a prick. Does that strike anyone else as a dig on Jill?

I would also like to point out that Derrick is married to Jill, who once pronounced "Before You Meet Prince Charming" to be her favorite book. Jill was literally raised to believe that, if only she did everything right and followed all the rules, God would reward her by having her meet, court, and marry "the one." So this isn't just some "myth" he hears "going around the Christian millennial world." It is literally the belief his wife was raised with. What an asshat Derrick Dillard is.

• Upvote 17
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

Would anyone be willing to share when the modesty part is in the video? I don’t want to watch all but can’t find it. 

JB and Michelle join David & Priscilla on stage for Q&A time.

The are actually two videos are on David and Priscilla's blog but I will link the first one featuring JB & Michelle below here. The second video on their blog is David preaching his testimony and pompous advice for families while someone translates. 

The first video is three hours long and features JB & Michelle at the beginning for about 20 minutes, then only David & Priscilla, and the end of the video features both JB&Michelle and the Pecans together taking questions from the audience. They are asked pretty awkward questions.

At times, Priscilla looks very nervous and looks at David, mid-sentence saying "Sorry, I am getting confused" and stops her sentence. I hope David is not forcing Priscilla to get on stage and I really hope it's something she actually wants to do.

• JB & Michelle finish up their love story right and introduce David & Priscilla at around 24 minutes

They make NO mention of Josh... Apparently, David Waller is taking Josh Duggar's place within the Duggar family?
JB &Michelle's introduction of Priscilla is AWKWARD:  
JB:"Priscilla is the sister of... Anna..." 
Michelle: "Anna, Anna Duggar" 
JB: "...who is our Daughter-in-Law... Anyway, and we just appreciate David and Priscilla and their love for..."
Michelle: "And we love them! They're kind of like our kids!"

• David & Pris begin their talk for 1 hour and 33 minutes. They start handing out Duggar Daughter books at 1:33:55 minutes
  • JB & Michelle join David & Pris on stage for AWKWARD Q&A time at 1:34:08 minutes 
  • JB tells the story of Austin's rebellion and redemption at 1:34:31 minutes
  • PANTS-WEARING QUESTION 1:37:50 @FluffySnowball JB explains he saw a question regarding pants "Uhh, I glanced over and saw this question, and it's a good question maybe for Michelle, uhh I'll say this-- part of our girls wear pants and part of them wear skirts and one of the questions is 'hey what do you think about this?'"  He allows Michelle to answer but once she starts getting sort of upset when saying ,"BUT the leader will be judged for how he led!" JB shuts it down-- quick.

If you don't have a lot of time and are interested in the awkward Q&A only, skip to 1:37:50 minutes but honestly, I would say it's worth it to watch the entire thing and break it up into a little bit each day... JB & Michelle reveal their uglier side by shading LGBTQ, bathrooms, awkwardly responding to a question "Can I marry someone of another race?" by responding, "Just obey your parents authority", etc....

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 23
  • Love 1

If my husband (which I don't have) wrote something like that online about our marriage, I'd tell him that he can take up residence on the living room couch until he can get all his shit to his mom's house, and then he can relay anything he has to say to me to my divorce attorney. 

I know Jill won't do that, but my god Derick is such a fucking turd. 

Edited by nastyhobbitses
  • Upvote 14
  • Love 2

OK, I found it! At 1:21:07 minutes, you will find JB & Michelle giving their talk. If you want to see David Waller have his turn alone, it's on their blog but this one of only JB & Michelle is not on there:

JB begins by shading his dad and saying because his dad didn't have spiritual focus, they had a lot of problems in the family and financial hardship.

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 6

I am starting to question Dericks intentions for marring Jilly more. He seems to be saying that he “settled” for her. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5

3 hours ago, DarkAnts said:

I have a deadly allergy to nuts. I have a hard time finding pre made meals that are safe. I have to make most things from scratch because nuts are like the Spanish Inquisition. 

Great analogy. Ended up in the ER a few months ago in anaphylaxis because of surprise peanuts. It’s so hard to get food out!

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 5
  • Love 3

4 hours ago, DarkAnts said:

He seems to be saying that he “settled” for her. 

I agree with this. Nice of him to announce to the world he "settled" for her. Wtf. Now I feel really sad for her and totally get why she appears insecure. If he posts this publicly  what the hell does he say to her privately? 

• Upvote 15
  • Sad 2

I also have to wonder about the blog post throwing a bit of shade at Jana (for being single) and JinJer (not having a baby immediately after getting married). I mean if I were Jill I would be really mad about this post, if not for myself (and what he is telling the world about their private life), but on behalf of those sisters. I guess the JinJer one is a bit of stretch, but as far as we know Jana is holding out for the one and he is basically saying she is wrong and going to die alone, which we all know Jill would believe is a horrible thing.

Also the language and writing of the post uses a lot of...I don't know a nice way to say this..."fancy words" perhaps. I wonder if he does that on purpose to demonstrate how much more educated he is than Jill who write more (?) of the blog posts. I mean I use a lot of bigger or more colorful words just because I can (and made a sibling refuse to speak to me because I, and I quote from said sibling, "talk too smart" *roll eyes*), but that post did not feel casual or like he was speaking to his peers. It came off trying too hard (aside from the awful message). AH pretentious was the word I was looking for.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

11 hours ago, OyHiOh said:

Lots of nonsense about how the feeling of "love" falls away around 18 months after meeting someone ("enough time to conceive and birth a baby, plus a few months") 

Especially weird since they're probably young earth creationists, but are pushing evo psych ideas. But consistency has never been a big concern in this demographic. 

• Upvote 9

14 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

I watched it as well. What did you think of how  Michelle answered the question “Why do 2 of your oldest daughters wear skirts and the others wear pants now?” I felt Michelle became visibly upset and was shading Derick by saying “Men are gentlemen and open doors for me because I look like a woman... blah blah ‘weareth not which pertaineth to a man’ blah blah... BUT the leader will have to give an account of how he lead! Modesty is everything.” And how quickly JB jumped in to cut her off and shut it down (when she referred to how leader has to give an account to God on how he lead?) Again, when they were asked the denomination question, I felt both JB and David were referring to Derick. 

In my opinion, David Waller was shading them when he mentioned “Girls brought up with modesty and throw it out the window after marriage (look at Michelle’s face when he said that)”

I believe the anonymous “friend” of David that “fell away” by getting pregnant out of wedlock and is playing the “dating game” is actually Priscilla’s sister and it was wrong of them to bring it up.

I think David Waller is trying to replace Josh and get into the family... Michelle introduced them as basically one of her kids and mentioned Priscilla being Anna’s sister but no mention of Josh.

Also, David is following JB’s ways by his recent acquisition of the 2nd home.

They also mentioned how God gives signs about finances such as a river drying up (just like money) to search for another path (or another job).  David mentioned struggling and I think he believes IBLP is drying up financially,  it’s also been reported it has been, and I think he wants to work for Jim Bob...

If they’re shading the Dills here then wouldn’t they also be shading the Vuolos as well? 

• I Agree 6

13 hours ago, endsidehugs28 said:

We have this in our county too, and I think there is a bill to get it across the state! (WA)

• Upvote 1

Someone is doing some major damage control on IG.  Jill's post advertising her "hubby's new blog post" has only positive comments (at least from what I quickly scanned).  And Cathy posted how proud she was of Derek and Jill.

I hope Derek and Jill had a convo about this stuff beforehand.  I maybe could see how he had good intentions regarding the whole "the one" stuff but it really reads as a serious dig on Jill. 

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic