IGNORED

Lori Alexander: 63: Teacher of Foolishness

Lori today on IG: "Some people accuse me of putting all the blame on women."

And??  Sometimes I feel like we are being punked by Captain Obvious.  :bangheaddesk:

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Vaccines are witchcraft. Pharmakia is sorcery"

This is the abysmal level of ignorance we're dealing with when it comes to some of these people. :pb_smile:

1 hour ago, SongRed7 said:

Lori today on IG: "Some people accuse me of putting all the blame on women."

Lori:  'Boo-hoo, I'm being persecuuuuuuuuted!'  Martyrbating much?  

14 minutes ago, Loveday said:

This is the abysmal level of ignorance we're dealing with when it comes to some of these people. :pb_smile:

Agreed.

The scary thing about the gal I had to hide is that SHE USED TO BE A NURSE.

I confess that I indulged in a delicious bit of schadenfreude yesterday, when my son informed me that their uber crunchy granola/live in a shed (literally, they converted a garden shed and have been living in it with 3 tiny kids) in the woods/anti-vaxx/only eat local/only buy handmade goods/live off a tiny, niche home business - lifestyle...is not working out quite like they planned, she had to get a regular job, and they're moving back to the city to live in an apartment.  

Someone asked me the other day what I thought about the antivax thing and I told them I'm just waiting for nature to take its course on that one.  It's callous as all hell but it's true.  It's like anything else in life, if a person is consciously, willfully, deliberately ignorant they have to live with the consequences of those ignorant actions. 

In my head it wasn't a choice, I just did it....I was vaccinated, why shouldn't mine be?  I didn't opt for every single shot they offered but I made sure she had every regular childhood vaccine plus chicken pox and I left the one for HPV up to her.  She went for it and was later vaccinated up to her eyeballs for CNA training.   If there are people who want to leave their "precious" children exposed....well, I'm sorry, they get what they get.  

4 minutes ago, Imrlgoddess said:

If there are people who want to leave their "precious" children exposed....well, I'm sorry, they get what they get.  

In theory I agree with you, but it chaps my hide how many immunity-compromised people they can conceivably take down with them.

I had a great-aunt that I never knew because she died in the last polio wave in the early 40's.  She was 15 and died in pain in an iron lung.  She was the baby of the family and the only girl.  It devastated the entire family and my great-grandfather was pretty much depressed until his own death a decade or so later.

I remember VERY clearly getting my polio drops as a toddler.  My mom made a big deal about it, because IT WAS A BIG FUCKING DEAL TO HER THAT HER CHILDREN WOULD NEVER DIE FROM THE TERRIBLE DISEASE THAT KILLED HER AUNT AND NAMESAKE.

OY it makes me SO MAD.  :censored:

25 minutes ago, Loveday said:

Than I'm a sorceress of Pharmakia, thanks to working in a pharmacy. An do I have witch powers thank's to being vaccined? And does my doggie also have witch powers thank's to being vaccined?

4 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

I had to take a friend off my facebook feed yesterday because she posted two anti-vaxx things in a row.  I don't have time for that shit.

All 3 of her kids had the mumps last year.

The stupid, it burns. 

I had mumps at age 11, back in 1963. I can still remember how excruciating it was. It was all I could do to swallow the Bufferin that gave me some measure of relief. During the same decade, my friend’s future husband had mumps at 14, and one of his testicles was destroyed by it.

11 minutes ago, Hane said:

I had mumps at age 11, back in 1963. I can still remember how excruciating it was. It was all I could do to swallow the Bufferin that gave me some measure of relief. During the same decade, my friend’s future husband had mumps at 14, and one of his testicles was destroyed by it.

I'm sorry.

Not only did all 3 of their kids have the mumps...they brought them to church while they were contagious.  

It's so weird to me, because this couple was NOT LIKE THIS before they married.  They had 3 kids in 4 years and apparently lost all their logical, practical brain cells in the process.

53 minutes ago, Hane said:

I had mumps at age 11, back in 1963. I can still remember how excruciating it was. It was all I could do to swallow the Bufferin that gave me some measure of relief.

I was one of those 'lucky" kids that got chicken pox, measles and the mumps in the late 60s-early 70s over a two-year period. I was in 1st grade when I had the measles and I remember being SOOOOOOOO SOOOOOO sick....like not being able to stand, dizzy and feverish. I have such vivid memories of being so sick and my mom taking me to the doctor and them making come through the back entrance in an effort not to infect others in the waiting room.  It was a really bad two year stretch and I missed so much school -- weeks and weeks of it.  It wasn't some mild childhood illness. 

And thanks to having chicken pox as a child, I was treated to a case of  Shingles two summers ago.  Yeah, that was so much fun, too.  Thankfully, my three kids have't had to experience any of this thanks to SCIENCE.

When I went to work for the hospital, I had to get an MMR, so I went to the parish health unit to get it.  My mom went with me.  There was a fishbowl with condoms on the counter.  She looked at it, grabbed and handfull, and put them in her purse.  When we got home, she opened my brother's top dresser drawer and dropped them in.  I didn't make a ruckus about the vaccination.  I wanted the job, it was part of getting the job, so I did it.

One of the most rabid anti-vaxxers I know was a chemotherapy infusion nurse for years.  So, by not getting the vaccinations, she actually put her patients at risk for her half-baked theories.

And I think here is one of the big reasons anti-vaxxers are growing, because the time before the vaccines are available is decades ago. They are born after the time where these illnesses where common. Thanks to vaccines they didn't know little Susie from their class getting polio and being crippled by it or little Bobby dieing of measles or whopping cough. Or the lady neighbour  contracting rubella while pregnant and suffering a miscarriage or having a disabled baby because of that. They where born and raised in a time where these illnesses where almost gone. And add the avialability of antibiotics in that  and you get a view on infections are harmless and vaccines are useless. And since most of the anti-vaxx parents are likely getting their shots as children, it's their children are paying the price and not their stupid parents.

I remember getting the chicken pox when I was in the first grade. The teacher told me to stop scratching my arms, because only dirty children scratch themselves, so I kept excusing myself to go to the bathroom to scratch! I missed my birthday and Valentine's Day at school, but my little brother brought all of my valentines from my classmates home for me. Good kid.

My MIL is a low-key anti-vaxxer; she reads a lot of 'information' on the Internet and tells me about it but also tells me that it is my decision because they are my kids (and not in a passive aggressive way). She listens to what I read about vaccines and respects my decision to vaccinate.

42 minutes ago, SongRed7 said:

I was one of those 'lucky" kids that got chicken pox, measles and the mumps in the late 60s-early 70s over a two-year period. I was in 1st grade when I had the measles and I remember being SOOOOOOOO SOOOOOO sick....like not being able to stand, dizzy and feverish. I have such vivid memories of being so sick and my mom taking me to the doctor and them making come through the back entrance in an effort not to infect others in the waiting room.  It was a really bad two year stretch and I missed so much school -- weeks and weeks of it.  It wasn't some mild childhood illness. 

And thanks to having chicken pox as a child, I was treated to a case of  Shingles two summers ago.  Yeah, that was so much fun, too.  Thankfully, my three kids have't had to experience any of this thanks to SCIENCE.

When I got chicken pox in first grade (1959), I was out of school for two weeks because the Board of Health required us to stay at home for a certain number of days after our symptoms subsided. My teacher sent over hand-made worksheets for me to do because she wasn’t allowed to send my textbooks to my house. That’s how careful people used to be. I remember having pox down my throat. My sister, five years younger than I, got chicken pox and measles when I did and was far sicker.  My poor daughter also got chicken pox in first grade, in the early ‘80s, and her pox were ugly and very uncomfortable—were even on her vulva. I heard of other kids around that time getting pox on their genitals. ?

A colleague got chicken pox at age 30 and wound up in intensive care.

And I got shingles a couple of years ago, too, @SongRed7. Fortunately, I noticed mine extremely early and got treated, so it was a very mild case. My mom got an ugly case near her eye. My mother-in-law got it so bad it looked as if someone had poured boiling water over her back. And one co-worker of mine had it so bad she was out of the office for weeks and had to stay in the dark. She got hooked on her pain meds and was going through actual withdrawal when she came back to work. It was painful to watch.

Now I worry about my now-adult child getting shingles some day.

@Hane in a pharmacy I worked a few years back there was a costumer who got either shingles or herpes and it spread into her eye and damaged the optical nerve to near blindness permanently.

I had chicken pox as a small child and while I don't remembe it, I fear that I get shingles one day. If you are really unlucky shingles can damage your nerves that way that it leaves you in chronic pain nonresponsive of most pain meds :(

43 minutes ago, Hane said:

And I got shingles a couple of years ago, too, @SongRed7. Fortunately, I noticed mine extremely early and got treated, so it was a very mild case.

I work in healthcare (non clinical, but I do a lot of education, writing and research) so i knew what it was pretty quickly and was treated as well, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.  I know people and family members who had it far worse, so I won't complain.   :-)

Anti-vaxxers should have to listen to older people describe being sick before vaccines were available. My dad was hospitalized for weeks in the 1940s with whooping cough (pertussis.)  He said he struggled to breathe a lot. It was horrible.

Around the same time, my mother’s neighborhood had a polio outbreak. She knew people who died or ended up in an iron lung. The lucky ones survived with just a limp. She describes how fearful the parents were and how restricted going out in public was.  Anyone breaking quarantine was public shamed & shunned!

Having chicken pox is one of my very earliest memories.  I remember standing completely naked, crying, while my mom dabbed calamine lotion all over my entire body.  My dad's best friend was a doctor and he said I had the worst case he'd ever seen.

Basically every woman on my mom's side of the family had shingles at one point, so I probably have that to look forward to. Whee.

@Hane,  I remember my sister-in-law had chicken pox in her vagina. I think she was a pre-teen when she got the chicken pox.   I can only imagine how horrible that was.  

6 hours ago, klein_roeschen said:

Than I'm a sorceress of Pharmakia, thanks to working in a pharmacy. An do I have witch powers thank's to being vaccined? And does my doggie also have witch powers thank's to being vaccined?

I worked in a pharmacy years ago. But only at the counter, not actually filling prescriptions. I just rang up customers, restocked the OTC shelves, and helped the pharmacist here and there. So I suppose that makes me a sorcerer's apprentice or something. LOL.

I had chicken pox as a child, so I guess shingles is in my future. I'm 61, is it too late to get the shingles vaccine?  My kids both had CP, too; the vaccine for it was just coming into use at the time and they got the disease before I had a chance to discuss the  vaccine with their pediatrician.

I kind of remember having the mumps, too, in the early 60s, although my mother tells me she doesn't remember that. It may have been tonsillitis; I did have to have my tonsils out around that time. I just remember having a really swollen, painful throat and neck. Pure misery. 

Reminder to all FJ-ers -- get your whooping cough booster vaccine. Your original one wears off.  I found this out when I got whooping cough about 10 years ago.

Also I've read that the new shingles vaccine is much better

One of the suspected causes of Bell's Palsy is dormant chicken pox virus.  The other suspected causes are genetic (as it seems to run in families) or stress. Or ... basically doctors have no idea what causes it.

I found this quotation from Ralph Waldo Emerson -- oh how I wish Lori would take it to heart:  "Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” 

21 hours ago, wallysmommy said:

I went down the rabbit hole, and I am appalled.  From the outside, it looks like a normal church, but inside is a hotbed of hatred.  And this is what Lori is attracting like flies.  Hope you're happy, Lori.  You found your audience so you can go viral again.  

Lori attracts these people because she believes what they believe. Time after time people have commented, messaged and emailed both Lori and Ken about specific racist comments and specific white supremacists who are given free reign on her page and they are ignored. Ken has lamely suggested that Lori can't police all the comments which, of course, is laughable. Seriously, what else does she have to do?

Hey Ken, Lori doesn't have to police the comments because I, and others, have given chapter and verse where they are found. You've been given screen shots. Those comments aren't deleted and those racists are allowed to remain simply because they have found their people. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived