IGNORED

Lori Alexander: 63: Teacher of Foolishness

5 hours ago, refugee said:

I think I was middle school age at the time, back when I was fascinated with Cherry Ames and Sue Barton (fiction) and Florence Nightingale and Clara Barton and Elizabeth Blackwell (nonfiction)--all names of nurses, except Blackwell, who was a physician. I wanted to be a nurse, and I read a lot of "history of medicine" stories and biographies. I remembered in particular a biography about a doctor who had a theory that childbed fever was caused by doctors' unwashed hands (going from one patient to another). His theory about that (or some other thing?) was controversial. When it came time for his wife to deliver their child, he wasn't able to attend her himself because they were family, so he begged the attending doctor to wash his hands. I remember the scene was written as him being so desperate on his wife's account that he made some major concession to the attending doctor, who didn't agree with his hand washing theory.

I wish I was better at remembering names and facts. They just sort of fade away, and I'm left with my emotional response to the story.

The hand washing scene was in The Story of Louis Pasteur starring Paul Muni.  Pasteur daughter, Annette is in labor and  the doctor who was to attend the birth is unavailable.  Dr Charbonnet, who was always skeptical of Pasteur's work is the only doctor that can attend the birth.    Pasteur begs Dr Charbonnet to wash his hands and to sterilize the instruments just this once.  Pasteur makes the bargain with Charbonnet, who'd injected himself with rabies (old, weakened by age rabies it turns out) that is Charbonnet lives another month if renounce his work on rabies.  It turns out that Charbonnet comes to accept Pasteur's work and not just on rabies.  I do not know if this scene from the film actually occurred, but I think it might have.  

Dr Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr, the father of the Supreme Court Justice, was a doctor in Boston who wrote a paper in the prevention of puerperal fever several years before Semmelweis.  They probably did not know of the other physician's work.  Dr Holmes lived out the rest of his life much more peacefully than Dr Semmelweis who suffered a nervous breakdown and was committed to an asylum where he died after being beaten by the guards. 

6 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

The hand washing scene was in The Story of Louis Pasteur starring Paul Muni.  Pasteur daughter, Annette is in labor and  the doctor who was to attend the birth is unavailable.  Dr Charbonnet, who was always skeptical of Pasteur's work is the only doctor that can attend the birth.    Pasteur begs Dr Charbonnet to wash his hands and to sterilize the instruments just this once.  Pasteur makes the bargain with Charbonnet, who'd injected himself with rabies (old, weakened by age rabies it turns out) that is Charbonnet lives another month if renounce his work on rabies.  It turns out that Charbonnet comes to accept Pasteur's work and not just on rabies.  I do not know if this scene from the film actually occurred, but I think it might have.  

Dr Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr, the father of the Supreme Court Justice, was a doctor in Boston who wrote a paper in the prevention of puerperal fever several years before Semmelweis.  They probably did not know of the other physician's work.  Dr Holmes lived out the rest of his life much more peacefully than Dr Semmelweis who suffered a nervous breakdown and was committed to an asylum where he died after being beaten by the guards. 

ETA:  That Mothers Might Live, a short directed by Fred Zinneman, won the Oscar for Best Short Subject  (One Reel) at the 1939 Academy Awards.  

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Loveday said:

On today's modesty post, all posted within the past hour:

Question from Alison:

Liam replies:

Response from Alison:

:popcorn:

Thanks for the screenshots. The comments are of course deleted now. 

I find it pathetic that Lori is so frigging passive aggressive to her entire family via the internet. I shudder to think what she must be like in person. 

In LoriLand women are being compared to cars again. But it's not a very good illustration nor a godly one. If a thief decides to open the car and steal things they are 100% responsible. No one forced them to open it. They could have left it a lone but didn't. They're the ones who didn't respect a person's potential livelihood enough to not steal. 

Another illustration, everyday I open up the work fridge and see everyone's lunch bags as I place my own. Sometimes other lunches look better than mine or "oh, someone put a soda in there and I'm kinda craving one". But do I steal it despite it being unattended in the fridge? No because that would be wrong. Could I easily take it and say I got it from the soda machine? Sure, but that would be stealing. If caught I'd be 100% responsible. If not caught I'm still 100% responsible. 

I'm responsible for my lusting and the direction my thoughts take. That police officer who looks amazing in his uniform? I'm going to choose not to look at him like a piece of meat. I'm gonna acknowledge that he's heckin good looking and move myself along because he's not an object. What I'm not gonna do? March up to a police officer and demand that he change to a baggy uniform. 

17 hours ago, delphinium65 said:

The more I think about Lori's claims that she 'teaches,' the more it bothers me.  She's not even teaching, she's just laying down a list of demands, and using spiritual blackmail to insure compliance.

I always say that Lori just "tells" people what to do. "Telling" is not "teaching"

On 3/2/2019 at 9:11 PM, SuperNova said:

From The boredom post:

"...purchase fabric from the store and make some clothes or bed sheets."

Yeah, not a cost effective undertaking. Fabric is expensive and it's cheaper to buy virtually any and all clothes and sheets ready made. These days sewing is a luxury and a hobby. 

I can never understand why Lori, Trey, and friends equate being busy to usefulness. 

I was at quilt retreat last week (just catching up on FJ now...). yeah, quilting cotton fabric is $10-12/yard for standard more for wide width (to make backing or sheets as Trey says). So if I purchase 108" wide backing fabric, I need 3 yards for queen size. That equals roughly $45 (14.95 on sale at Missouri Star Quilt Co) for only a top sheet, double that cost to make a fitted sheet (plus some elastic) and then some more money to make pillow cases*.  That cotton is not soft. It isn't like the 400 count Threshold brand at Target (not even a top quality brand)  which is $50 regular price for a sheet set (fitted sheet, flat sheet and 2 standard pillow cases). So I could make the sheet set with scratchy cotton for $110 or I could spend the same amount for soft sheets at Bed Bath & Beyond with a 20% coupon they always send me. Trey is stupid. The target 400 count sheets or the $110 set at BB&B is a better use of time and money. 

*I sometimes make pillowcases as gifts. If my kids like a certain character, I sometimes make them something special. My mom makes a lot of them, it is fun having something different on the bed. 

Sewing is not cheap. It is cheaper to go to clearance racks at Kohl's or go to Style Encore or Second Childhood than make clothing. 

20 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Sewing is not cheap.

I sew as well and concur.  I made a memory blanket for my college aged son who plays baseball. I took many of his old uniform shirts and tournament and little league t-shirts and made a blanket out of it.   I know how to shop discount for fabrics, and even so with the simple cotton edging, backing, interfacing and batting, it still cost close to $70 to make.  People have asked if I would make them for their kids for graduations, etc.  I wouldn't mind doing it, but it's not inexpensive.  The way I'm pricing it is flat fee + cost of materials...otherwise it wouldn't be worth my while. 

Sewing is so much fun, but not cheap.  

Lots of men in the comments today.

true.PNG.b6d7ae3e186b763bbba98c19f4760c4a.PNG

Actually, you can be a Christian, and disagree with Lori Alexander.  The two are not mutually exclusive.

As for you, Lori, MANY readers have answered yours posts with the Bible.  Your response was to delete their comments and ban them.  I've even watched as you deleted comments that contained ONLY scripture.   

The truth is, you don't want anyone studying anything for themselves.  You want them to accept what YOU say as scripture.  You've set yourself up as a mouthpiece for god, but their truth is you're just a bitter loud mouth, with a gaggle of creepy MRAs following you from post to post.

Total speculation, but it occurred to me yesterday that Lori might be tempted to use her daughter's infertility as a weapon against her if/when she returns to teaching her exercises classes, etc.  I have a sister in law who went thru terrible infertility issues and eventually had to have a hysterectomy and eventually adopted 2 children.  Those kids are college age now, but when they were infants (twins -- a boy and a girl)...she was able to stay home awhile and her company allowed her to work from home for a bit but she eventually had to return to work full time (with the added benefit of still working from home 3 days a week) because while her husband had a fairly good job, the industry he is in is very unstable forcing him to change jobs frequently. Her's was more stable and provided the health insurance and benefits. 

Anyway, some busybody relatives would say to her "I can't believe after all you went through and professing to want children, you would just leave them like that."  It was beyond awful.  They actually used her infertility against her.  As a fitness instructor, Alyssa has the perfect opportunity to get of the house occasionally, do something she loves with probably a lot of flexibility of schedule...one or two days a week or something. 

Parenthood is wonderful but damn hard, infertility or not.  If it's Alyssa's desire to continue doing that after having her baby, I hope she does. And I hope Lori doesn't use it against her, but I have little faith in that. 

Severine Hausinger I met a woman who went to seminary argue this with me. She insisted she was right because of her degree. I called her out on that. 

Ban them from seminary.

She's an idiot.  

The Transformed Wife Instead of admitting this, they twist Scripture to fit their desires since they don't want to obey God in this area.

And this...Twisted Sister accusing others of twisting the scripture.

Lori’s doodle today is dumb. I knew my parents worked so I could have food and close. I didn’t need my mom to tell me that my daddy worked hard so I would love and appreciate him. I didn’t cling to my mom even though she was home with ya during the week. I greeted my dad when he got home, not because my mother had to tell me to, I did it because I was closer with my dad and wanted to spend time with him. 

19 hours ago, Free Jana Duggar said:

http://lorialexander.blogspot.com/2016/06/modesty-and-homecoming-court.html?m=1

Here is a link. Looks like it could be Homecoming She might be telling the truth. 

Thank you for finding that post.

I remember when we discussed it here.  It does not jibe at all with her remarks about not being popular in high school.  Why would anyone vote her onto the homecoming court if she was so unpopular?

IIRC she also posted a picture of herself as a cheerleader back in the day.  They were always the most popular girls in my school at least.

And just FYI for any newer FJ members, when Lori first made that post she did not blur the faces of her son's fellow students.  Only after she got a ton of push back did she change it.

In the old modesty post linked above Lori says "... the picture above is of my Homecoming court. {I am the one on the left.} "  And it is definitely her.  Actually it looks like a Homecoming Court from the mid-70s so most likely is

I've always thought her "oh woe was me I was friendless all through school because I was a Christian good girl" was total BS.  Stuck up-snotty-my family has money-mean girl is more like it.

Friendless girls don't get elected to Homecoming Court, Friendless girls don't have as many dates as Lori has mentioned.

Edited to add:  Friendless, unpopular girls definitely do not get to be cheerleaders.

Lori, to borrow a phrase, is a lying liar who lies

9 hours ago, SongRed7 said:

I sew as well and concur.  I made a memory blanket for my college aged son who plays baseball. I took many of his old uniform shirts and tournament and little league t-shirts and made a blanket out of it.   I know how to shop discount for fabrics, and even so with the simple cotton edging, backing, interfacing and batting, it still cost close to $70 to make.  People have asked if I would make them for their kids for graduations, etc.  I wouldn't mind doing it, but it's not inexpensive.  The way I'm pricing it is flat fee + cost of materials...otherwise it wouldn't be worth my while. 

Sewing is so much fun, but not cheap.  

I just bought a new sewing machine, on sale it was $199.00 for a Singer One.  I don't sew a lot, but I do need to occasionally and sometimes just for fun.  Fabric is not cheap, I should say that good fabric is not inexpensive.  Not to mention all the notions, thread - buttons - all the assorted things that go with it.  And it's not automatically easy, which I don't think that Lori and her ilk realize that.

7 hours ago, SongRed7 said:

If it's Alyssa's desire to continue doing that after having her baby, I hope she does.

Dance seems to be a huge part of Alyssa's life. I can't see her giving that up for 18 years.

I think she'll probably work part-time (which Lori will decide is OK because it isn't a "real career"). If she's been really influenced by her mom, she might not teach but she will certainly continue to take dance/exercise classes (with anyone else, Lori would deride this as "me time" but for Alyssa, she'll call it "keeping in shape for her husband").

And today it's the wife's fault that a husband doesn't want more children.

Hey Lori, maybe some don't want more kids because they have to feed them. Kids are freaking expensive.   

Forget diapers and formula.  We're in prom season and a year or so away from college. Plus we have teenagers on car insurance. Pray for us y'all. ?

Again with the “public school secular homosexual agenda” horseshit. IT’S NOT FUCKING TRUE LORI.

LOL at Lori talking about schools being materialist and consumerist. Pot, kettle, black...

19 minutes ago, Free Jana Duggar said:

When I saw the title I thought of several reasons why a man may not want more (or any) children.  Maybe he can't afford more children.  Perhaps he thinks children will distract him from other things he wants in life.  It's possible that he cares about his wife, and wants to make her life easier, not harder.  Could be he's just a selfish asshole who can't stand sharing attention with children, contrary to fundie opinion 'men' like that do exist.  But noooooo, Lori picks out reasons that are a wife's fault.  Even trying to give her as much benefit of the doubt as possible (yeah, I gave up on that where The (un)Godly Mentor is concerned, but old habits die hard), it's clear that Lori is going out of her way to blame women for everything possible.  

I have some words for Lori all right, words that end with '...and the horse you rode in on.'  

EDIT: And we have this from one of Lori's chief leghumpers. Dissent in the ranks? 

sev2903845.jpg

5 minutes ago, delphinium65 said:

When I saw the title I thought of several reasons why a man may not want more (or any) children.  Maybe he can't afford more children.  Perhaps he thinks children will distract him from other things he wants in life.  It's possible that he cares about his wife, and wants to make her life easier, not harder.  Could be he's just a selfish asshole who can't stand sharing attention with children, contrary to fundie opinion 'men' like that do exist.  But noooooo, Lori picks out reasons that are a wife's fault.  Even trying to give her as much benefit of the doubt as possible (yeah, I gave up on that where The (un)Godly Mentor is concerned, but old habits die hard), it's clear that Lori is going out of her way to blame women for everything possible.  

I have some words for Lori all right, words that end with '...and the horse you rode in on.'  

EDIT: And we have this from one of Lori's chief leghumpers. Dissent in the ranks? 

sev2903845.jpg

Yes! Yes! I took screenshots and was coming back here to post, but you beat me to it.     Deleted in 3, 2, ...

23 minutes ago, Free Jana Duggar said:

for whatever reason my defenses are down today, and today's post really burns me.  In Lori's eyes women have no redeeming qualities. Everything is the women's fault.  I could punch someone today, she makes me so angry. 

I feel sad for Severine. She believes she has to push through and become a full quiver mother. What a sad life that must be. 

Lori's reply to Severine is sharp and defensive:

I do not forget what it is to have small children at all. In addition, I was very ill while raising my children. My husband also traveled and was gone from the home half of the year. Therefore, the majority of the training and disciplining was on my shoulders and of course, it took a lot of time, effort, and sacrifice that was well worth it! Of course, he did his part when he was home but I knew it was mostly my responsibility since I was with them full time. 

I didn't say that the reasons listed why men didn't want children were meant for all men but my ideas why most men don't want children. I have seen these reasons being played out in many homes.

Lori never forgets anything. In fact, sometimes she remembers many different versions of events, which is why her posts are so often the opposite of what she's said before.

Severine is quick to stick to her guns on the forgetfulness issue. I think we're witnessing the first crack in the veneer of their online relationship:

My sympathies. My husband used to be on the road six days a week and we took a paycut to bring him home. That's not possible for everyone. I can't imagine being sick on top of that, ma'am. 

Of course I still feel that rather than falling into resentment of our husbands we search our own imperfections first or find ways to help him like your article mentions. I just believe that we set realistic expectations when teaching younger women. Often they're told, "My children were sleeping in their own room from the beginning and I just let them cry it out. They never came into my room." That can't be true because eventually they're not contained in a crib. There's plenty of references in media about even older children needing to be put back in their room. Any momma with young ones can tell you this. 

And for other older wiser women reading this there is no sin in forgetting. I don't remember perfect details about being a teen or child or even single, it is simply human nature.

She's about to learn that it IS a sin to address Lori's readers with a contradictory message.

We're getting a lot of screenshot-worthy comments today, telling it like it is.  

12389743.jpg

Lori just had to say "I was very ill..."  She mentions nowhere the nanny and housekeeper.  It doesn't take long for Lori to go so far as to even antagonize one of her staunchest supporters.  She would say "I'm just speaking truth."  She only cares about her boy-man fans fawning over her.  

Hey, Ken, Lori is seeking the attention of other men.   You might want to do something about that.

The blog linked below is awesome!  

1 hour ago, Loveday said:

Lori never forgets anything. In fact, sometimes she remembers many different versions of events, which is why her posts are so often the opposite of what she's said before.

what she DOES forget to tell readers is that while all this suffering/sacrifice was going on she also had a paid housekeeper, nanny and by her own admission, her own mother was there much of the time taking care of them all. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived