IGNORED

Lori Alexander: 63: Teacher of Foolishness

My kids are generally healthy eaters- they like things like salmon and brussel sprouts and asparagus, but definitely won’t eat tuna (and prob not sardines- I would never serve them lol). I don’t cater to my kids (or even DH) but I don’t serve things they absolutely don’t like. My 9 year old won’t eat mac and cheese- so I enjoy it at holidays. 

Im guessing that Lori just made her own meal and gave the grandkids a portion. Judging from the salad spread she posted a while back, there’s no way those kids had enough to eat. 

Things I remember eating at my grandparent’s house: homemade fried chicken, fresh sliced tomatoes (I can’t seem to find tomatoes that are as flavorful as the ones from my childhood), and fresh steamed corn on the cob (this was typically Sunday dinner when our parents would pick us up after spending a few days with my grandparents). For lunch, we had sandwiches and cookies. Snacks consisted of saltine crackers with peanut butter. They also took us out to various restaurants. I don’t remember what we had when we stayed with my paternal grandparents- aside from fresh veggies in the summer. My paternal grandfather had a sizable vegetable garden and we enjoyed the fruits of his labor. 

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Briefly said:

My dad loved sardines on crackers, and he also really liked spam.  I always thought that they are both disgusting. But he considered sardines and crackers a treat.  Mom considered it an easy dinner where she didn't have to cook!  I kind of think it may be a generational thing to a point, my parents were depression era and I know that affected some of the things they ate.

Sardines on toast are a light lunch treat for me. I don't eat it very often but it reminds me of "nursery" suppers in literature about the Victorian or Edwardian ages or midnight feasts at 50's girls boarding schools like Mallory Towers or St Claire's.

2 hours ago, Dreadcrumbs said:

It's no meal for a child, unless we're speaking about a child with very peculiar tastes.

That would have been my kid when she was little. She would and still does eat anything and everything. She went to China in high school and ate every kind of street food that the other kids dared her to eat until the chaperones put a stop to it because she threw up after eating squid on a skewer. With that being said, she would never eat Lori's nasty ass food. Sardines and yams is just plain weird and unappetizing. One pooty little mint on a plate wouldn't be enough of an incentive, either.

6 hours ago, wallysmommy said:

I responded on the Instagram "that meal sounds absolutely disgusting" because it does.  Give the kids a piece of chicken, for goodness sake.  

Lori is too damn lazy to cook chicken. I would resign from being her grandchild. Yam, salad, and sardines? I'm an adult and I wouldn't eat that mess.

I got called to task by one of the fangirls for criticizing Lori's sardine meal, that it's the height of rudeness.  No, rude is calling people names like Jezebel and accusing them of being blasphemers.  

Here's what LA had to say "I never catered to my children’s tastebuds and "I don’t with my grandchildren either. I train them up to like nourishing food!

cater.PNG.c7cdb39f458d6892c18123d1d4e7b46d.PNG

Those poor kids.  Visits to Grandma's should be special, and to my way of thinking, a bit of spoiling is to be expected.

I am not talking about anything ridiculous, but my MIL always kept kid friendly food on hand, for anyone who didn't like whatever she was serving.  She always had a little dessert too.  My FIL had a habit of offering the kids a soda instead of water, and was known to stop by with donuts on his way to work.   

I'll tell you something else- they would have NEVER thought they were there to "train" their grandchildren either.  They would have felt it was crossing all kinds of boundaries.  

It's really sad that Lori has such control of her son & daughter-in-law's children, and I hope to god that Alyssa and Emily don't give her the same kind of leeway.

8 minutes ago, wallysmommy said:

I got called to task by one of the fangirls for criticizing Lori's sardine meal, that it's the height of rudeness.  No, rude is calling people names like Jezebel and accusing them of being blasphemers.  

Here's what LA had to say "I never catered to my children’s tastebuds and "I don’t with my grandchildren either. I train them up to like nourishing food!

I noticed in her comments she said she “learned” to like sardines. Food should be enjoyed- yes, we need to nourish our bodies, but God has given us a great variety to enjoy. And “learning” to like something doesn’t make us holy. 

Also, Lori- we know you didn’t cater to your children’s tastebuds. That’s why you have 2 girls with disordered eating and body image issues, and at least one son with food control issues. And, your hungry kids begged for supper from their father. 

30 minutes ago, wallysmommy said:

I got called to task by one of the fangirls for criticizing Lori's sardine meal, that it's the height of rudeness.

Well, I'm a southern mom, and I'll tell her what's considered really rude where I come from- Feeding guests (especially your precious grandbabies) something you know they don't like.  

My kids are teenagers now, and I can tell you at least a thing or two that each of their close friends AND their parents like to eat.  I can also tell you their soda preferences.  Know why?  I pay attention.  I care about our guests being comfortable in my home.

When drinks are empty, I hop up and refill them.  I order WAY too much pizza, and always offer seconds, and then snacks later. 

Here, we say things like, "Help yourself!" & "Eat as much as you want, we have more than we know what to do with!".  When folks leave, I generally have an INSANE amount of leftovers, but I make damn sure that no one leaves my table hungry.  

The highlight of my week has been making Easter baskets for my kids and 6 of their friends.  They are ridiculously cute, and filled to the brim with everyone's favorite candy, snacks, and soda!  I am half tempted to post a picture of those little baskets, to give Lori a clue of what she's missing out on by being so focused on controlling what people eat.  Sometimes putting a smile on someone's face, and letting them know you care is more important.

5 minutes ago, Dreadcrumbs said:

So, food can't be nourishing and taste good? What a shame.

Not if you spend a majority of the day monitoring the internet (and ironically, telling women they should spend their days in the kitchen).

On 3/24/2019 at 9:12 AM, SweetLaurel said:

You don't have to 'admit' to it.  It isn't a shameful secret.  Lots of people don't cook much.  Man, I don't know how people do twelve hour days.  The few years I worked ten just about killed me.   Hat's off to you and all those who do.  

Thing is, I LOVE to cook! But, getting home at 7:30 at night isn't conducive to standing in the kitchen for another little while. I'm currently living on coffee and occasional junk food.  I need about 24 hours of sleep, a massage, a mani/pedi/wax and a good meal. I just don't see it happening any time soon. 

"Nourishing" is another word Lori Alexander has ruined for me. Food can be healthy with out being nasty. Such a mean heifer. Why would you not want to feed children what they like, at least some of the time? She never did any nice things for her children. I would never leave my children with that mean coldhearted shrew.

You can't "train" children to like what they don't like. You can expose them to different foods but ultimately their taste buds are their own. I hate the way fundies talk about training children like they are dogs or something. You teach children.

If you think about it, all food is nourishing...some may not exactly be good for you, but it's still providing a certain amount of nutrition to your body. Personally, I like the tasty stuff. Her version is not tasty nor appealing. 

One of these days I'm going to go on a junk food binge...I'm talking KFC, Taco Bell, In and Out, yup...gonna gorge myself until I'm stuffed. 

3 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

If you think about it, all food is nourishing...some may not exactly be good for you, but it's still providing a certain amount of nutrition to your body. Personally, I like the tasty stuff. Her version is not tasty nor appealing. 

One of these days I'm going to go on a junk food binge...I'm talking KFC, Taco Bell, In and Out, yup...gonna gorge myself until I'm stuffed. 

Can I come? Pretty please... ?

There are plenty of healthy foods Lori could’ve given the grandchildren... but sardines, yams and salad?? Good grief. That’s a weird, gross meal combo. Just give them something like pasta or chicken with rice, something simple. I totally get wanting kids to eat healthy stuff, but that is not a meal I’d ever serve anyone. 

4 minutes ago, FluffySnowball said:

Can I come? Pretty please... ?

awww hell, come on! I'll even pay!

1 minute ago, feministxtian said:

awww hell, come on! I'll even pay!

Thanks, that worked out better than I dared to hope. Now I just need to get to the US and our feast frenzy can begin lol 

This one is for the books. She deletes someone who says we should follow jesus. This is proof she's is a false teacher.  Before and after shots below.Screenshot_20190325-203704_Facebook.thumb.jpg.e9db06d33382c8de9ec16c207b3d4944.jpg

Screenshot_20190325-232903_Facebook.jpg

I can only assume that "catering to her grandchildren's tastebuds" is different somehow than her recent gushing about how much she loves to be hospitable and is throwing herself into it whole hog and is "learning" to love it. Her insistence on feeding young children food they don't actually like out of some misplaced sense of not "catering" to them also seems to run counter to her claims of loving to serve. I thought women were keepers of home and were there to serve their families. As she often reminds us, the greatest of all was the servant of all. 

1 hour ago, SilverBeach said:

Food can be healthy with out being nasty. Such a mean heifer.

Do you remember the pathetic little salad lunch Lori made for her friends? Hardly enough to feed two people as an appetizer but it was meant for three as a main course. Of course she served it with her nasty 3 week old raw egg dressing. She also threw in some ice water and two slices of bread for three people. Oh, and an entire stick of butter.  

I have to say that I appreciate my parents for generally respecting my dietary preferences because many of them didn't go away even as an adult. Of course, I had to try some things but often if I didn't want to eat what my parents were serving I could go make toast and eggs. It helped me learn to use the stove responsibly from a pretty young age and start learning to cook, a current passion of mine. My parents are very much meat, potato, and a veggie type of people so it wasn't like I was rejecting sardines and yams. Uncooked cheese tastes like chalk 99% of the time to me and my brain basically tells me that mayo is absolutely not allowed. I'm really glad that my parents didn't force feed these things to me. I had an aunt that gave me a mayo sandwich after I wanted a bread and butter one (looking back I'd never just eat cold bread and butter like that now). My brain had a mini freak out tasting the mayo.

Speaking of food. What all did you make for dinner? I made fried rice with coconut aminos and lots of bits of leftovers. It was tasty. Plus store bought potstickers because they take far longer for me to make by hand. 

8 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

If I may be so bold, maybe you're thinking of "Sardellen" aka anchovies? Sardines are very much a thing where I'm from in Germany: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ölsardine

(My apologies for the German link. It's about canned sardines in oil. Feel free to PM me, if you need to know more. :) )

Thanks for the info, I think I mixed them up with anchovies. Never had them in my life and never saw anyone eating them. Only know the saying about being packed like sardines :) . Hering in tomatosauce is my canned fish choice

13 hours ago, SweetLaurel said:

Are these the son's kids who were already food  trained as babies -  they were forced fed when not hungry and sat and made to watch the parents eat when they were hungry?  That Lori gloated about? 

Yep.  Those are the kids.  I think that 2 out of the 4 kids  live out of State and Alyssa is pregnant.   So it seems like Ryan ...  who force fed his kid, probably banket trained, as the baby was sitting on a blanket crying the whole time his/her parents ate their dinner and gave the baby nothing ... ate night after night until, finally, the baby sat "happily".  No, Lori, not happily, but BROKEN!

And Lori writes about this as if it is something good!  Makes me sick just to think of it.   Will be interesting to see if Alyssa lets Lori sit for her kid.  I am hoping she does not buy into the child "training" methods that Lori employed.  

7 hours ago, Dreadcrumbs said:

So, food can't be nourishing and taste good? What a shame.

Yep, it's one or the other in LoriLand. Sorry in advance for this rant- food is a sore spot for me. I, like Lori, have the advantages of time to cook, a healthy grocery budget, and a family with no allergies. Does she want her grandkids to get enough omega 3? Feed them some salmon. Not near as intimidating as sardines. Or make it fun and scramble up some enriched eggs, have breakfast for supper. Does she not trust her kids to have instilled healthy eating habits that a fun meal at Grandma's will mess them up for life?

Mr. Bonkers is a bit of a health nut, so most of our meals are pretty healthy. Tonight is Italian Sausage Soup with Orzo. https://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/italian-sausage-orzo-soup/?utm_content=bufferae34f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=pinterest.com&utm_campaign=budgetbytesbuffer

I like it because you can sub whatever veggies you want in there to cater to your taste.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived