• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
PumaLover

Delicious cold lunch ideas?

Happy
PumaLover

Hi FJers! Does anyone have any fun ideas for packing lunches for work? I have committed to making my headship lunch to take to work so we can a) save money and b) he stops eating fast food all the damn time. I've been making him sandwiches and he has a microwave so he can take leftovers too. But I'm sure you guys have some good ideas you'd be willing to share!

WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?

It isn't fancy, but if he likes hummus, it makes a simple main part of a lunch. You can make your own or buy it. I like hummus on pita bread or flatbread. It's also good with veggies. I think if I were taking it someplace, I'd keep the hummus in a container, then spread it on the bread right before I ate it. A small portion could also be a good snack if he gets a short break. 

Another very simple idea is a microwave quesadilla. He could take shredded cheese and 2 tortillas. (I prefer corn for mine.) Put one tortilla on a paper towel, add the shredded cheese, put the other tortilla on top, and cover with another paper towel. Most microwaves take about 1 minute to melt the cheese, in my experience. He can have salsa, or chiles, etc. with it.

You can also make a sandwich more interesting by adding things like bell peppers, olives, or whatever toppings he likes at places like Subway. I used to make my own sub sandwiches for work sometimes, and they could be very filling by the time I finished adding veggies on top!

Bethella

One of my favorites is a modified ploughman's lunch. Traditionally it included bread, cheese, onions and pickles. I tend to substitute some kind of fruit or vegetable instead of the onions as I don't like them. I've also included things like hard boiled eggs, cured meats like salami or jerky, leftover ham... It all really depends on what we have on hand and what's in season.