IGNORED

Michelle 2: Mom of 13 & YouTuber Accused of Neglect on Dr. Phil

luv2laugh

On 3/30/2019 at 10:29 PM, Hane said:

I tried using brewer’s yeast powder to stimulate my milk supply but it made the baby gassy so I stopped. [/tmi]

I tried fenugreek, but I started smelling like maple syrup and it didn’t really work for me. 

• Upvote 1

Geneaology is a whole lotta fun, too, when you have LOTS of fellas with the same name and live in nearly the same space, and are approximately the same age.

The other issue is that some family names are spelled much differently, depending on the way it was pronounced and then spelled when the immigrant entered the country. Cousins with wildly different names.

My SIL does all that, I would rather do macrame, myself. Easier to untwist the lines.... LOL!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m always amused by people who want extremely rare names for their children. I have an uncommon last name and I would actually prefer a more common one for the sake of anonymity. We live in a world where you can easily google anymore. And if you have an extremely uncommon name like Iron Rod, googling you will likely be pretty easy. I have a friend named John Baker. Do you know how extremely common that name is in the US? If you googled him, you may have to really search to find the correct John Baker. Even if you know the city he lives in. If your name is Shamalama DingDong McGee, people will be able to find you pretty easily. Of course unless you rent a shack in the woods, stay off social media, only use cash, and basically live like the unibomber. 

My maiden name was not extremely common but not really rare either.  My married name is uncommon, but it is one letter off from an extremely common name and we get called by the wrong name on a daily basis.  Having been stalked before, I think you have a very valid point.

• Upvote 4

Oh, man, uncommon names... I can usually assume safely that if someone has my last name they're a relative of some stripe. Anglicized Eastern European name plus fecund great-grandparents will do that.

There's an argument either way, really. There's safety in anonymity with a common name, but there's no getting your credit and other records mixed up with an uncommon one.

• Upvote 4

There is something about having a name so common, you don't need to really protect you identity. My last name is hugely popular in the Western world, and if given 3 chances you might just pick the right one, that topped with a very popular first name, my name is so generic as to almost seem suspicious because its so common. I have meet multiple women with the same entire name as me, including middle names. My married name only moved me to about top 25, so still ridiculously common. I still protect some personal details, but googling me with out a lot of specific personal details would would be like finding a needle in a haystack.

I do understand how annoying it is though to have a common name , in school I had kids in my class with both my names twice. I always shared my first name with another classmate, it was frustrating. For my kids I did not want super popular names at all. But I also didn't want "one of a kind unique"  names either. Both of my kids names are not in the Top 50, but are in the top 200. I get not wanting to have every child have your child's name, but going 100% the other way, of your kid being the only one seems a bit far too. But then I usually feel that way because the kid is named Heistheway, Spurgen, Iron Rod or something equally horrible.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, tankgirl said:

There is something about having a name so common, you don't need to really protect you identity. My last name is hugely popular in the Western world, and if given 3 chances you might just pick the right one, that topped with a very popular first name, my name is so generic as to almost seem suspicious because its so common. I have meet multiple women with the same entire name as me, including middle names. My married name only moved me to about top 25, so still ridiculously common. I still protect some personal details, but googling me with out a lot of specific personal details would would be like finding a needle in a haystack.

I do understand how annoying it is though to have a common name , in school I had kids in my class with both my names twice. I always shared my first name with another classmate, it was frustrating. For my kids I did not want super popular names at all. But I also didn't want "one of a kind unique"  names either. Both of my kids names are not in the Top 50, but are in the top 200. I get not wanting to have every child have your child's name, but going 100% the other way, of your kid being the only one seems a bit far too. But then I usually feel that way because the kid is named Heistheway, Spurgen, Iron Rod or something equally horrible.

This reminds me of a friend of mine named Sarah Elizabeth Smith. It is no longer her name since she married. Her married name is much less common. But I remember there were 4 other girls named Sarah Smith at our university and a few of them were Sarah Elizabeth Smith! It was crazy because I didn’t know it was such a popular name combination at the time. 

• Upvote 2

I once met a woman whose last name was Smith, and she said, “I named my kids Annie and Sarah—I didn’t want to bother even trying to be unique!” My former colleague Cindy Brown has always insisted, though, on scrutinizing her records at the doctor’s office, to make sure she doesn’t get mixed up with the legions of other Cindy Browns out there.

• Upvote 5

My husband and I both have uncommon,  normally misspelled last names.  When my first was a baby, a co-worker mentioned that he would have used an unconventional spelling of her name.  I told him I would have done that too if my kid’s last name was one of the top 5 most common like his.  I wouldn’t want a name that was practically impossible to distinguish, but I like that there is an “easy” part of their names.

• Upvote 7

I just skimmed this page. I honestly thought someone said they knew a kid named Fenugreek. 

In fact, I thought, “If I were that kid, I would just have people call me ‘Fen’”.

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, Hane said:

My former colleague Cindy Brown has always insisted, though, on scrutinizing her records at the doctor’s office, to make sure she doesn’t get mixed up with the legions of other Cindy Browns out there.

My GP practice has two other people with the same name as me on their books, one of whom was born in the same year and month. I always go through the full address, dob, entire name thing when booking appointments. My weirdest name moment though was getting a phone call one election urging me to support a particular candidate. Which would have been quite normal except that that candidate was not running in my electorate, but in an electorate several hundred km away. As it happened I already knew that there was someone with the same name (and same middle initial) as me living in that electorate - we both worked for the same quite large organisation and had been forwarding each other misdirected emails for several months. I am pretty sure they grabbed the wrong phone number somehow - I emailed the other person the following day to ask if candidate X was one of theirs and got a large sigh and a "we're a very marginal seat, we are getting sooo many phone calls" response. Heh.

• Upvote 5

11 hours ago, tankgirl said:

But then I usually feel that way because the kid is named Heistheway, Spurgen, Iron Rod or something equally horrible.

Not laughing at your personal experience; just enjoying the shade at the end ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Hane said:

My former colleague Cindy Brown has always insisted, though, on scrutinizing her records at the doctor’s office, to make sure she doesn’t get mixed up with the legions of other Cindy Browns out there

My maiden name is super common and my mother named one of my brothers a super trendy name and there were two other kids at our pediatrician's office with the exact same name. She would always double check to make sure they had the right charts because they confused them a couple times. 

• Upvote 2

I have a very uncommon spelling of my first name. After I married into an uncommon LAST name, for a few years, there were 2 of us with the same name in the states. Spelled the same. She married, though, so her name changed.

But a Google search still pulls both of us up. And we are fecbook "friends" - just because. With such an uncommon name, why not? We do get each other's friends requesting us, though. Sort of funny.

edit to clarify... My married name is her maiden name.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

My last name is fairly uncommon (and apparently impossible to spell or pronounce) in this country, but totally normal in Germany. I go by a nickname, but the actual spelling of my first name is also the French/German/European spelling (Elisabeth), versus the Anglicized Elizabeth with a z. Even so, there is at least one other woman with my full (given) name somewhere in northern Germany, and another woman with my nickname in this country. Small world... 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Lillymuffin said:

My last name is fairly uncommon (and apparently impossible to spell or pronounce) in this country, but totally normal in Germany. I go by a nickname, but the actual spelling of my first name is also the French/German/European spelling (Elisabeth), versus the Anglicized Elizabeth with a z. Even so, there is at least one other woman with my full (given) name somewhere in northern Germany, and another woman with my nickname in this country. Small world... 

My maiden name is extremely rare in the US and isn't all that common in Germany (where my grandparents were from). My first and middle names are "Anglicized" versions of the Spanish and German names. I'm just glad AF my mother didn't fill out my birth certificate...I was 18" long when I was born and my name would have been longer. It's still long enough that it takes 3 lines on many forms (like my driver's license). 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

28 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

I'm just glad AF my mother didn't fill out my birth certificate...I was 18" long when I was born and my name would have been longer. It's still long enough that it takes 3 lines on many forms (like my driver's license). 

I feel your pain. I invariably run out of name blocks on forms, and my name is on two lines on my license. Most of the time, people don’t bother looking at the second line, and they address me as “Miss Second Middle Name.”  :roll:

• Upvote 3

On 4/25/2019 at 10:34 PM, Lillymuffin said:

I feel your pain. I invariably run out of name blocks on forms, and my name is on two lines on my license. Most of the time, people don’t bother looking at the second line, and they address me as “Miss Second Middle Name.”  :roll:

granddaughter #2 is going to be the same way...9 letter first name, 5 letter middle name, 11 letter last name. luckily she goes by a 3 letter nickname

• Upvote 2

On 4/17/2019 at 4:28 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

This reminds me of a friend of mine named Sarah Elizabeth Smith... But I remember there were 4 other girls named Sarah Smith at our university and a few of them were Sarah Elizabeth Smith! It was crazy because I didn’t know it was such a popular name combination at the time. 

Sarah Elizabeth was a very common name combo some decades ago, and not unusual to shorten it to Sarah Beth in everyday use, especially in the South. 

• Upvote 1

When the boys were very small we knew an old lady who went by Elgra. Her much younger sister told me her real name was Elizabeth Grace. So much prettier with lots of shorter options. 

• Upvote 2