IGNORED

Bates 26: Do Not Attempt This at Home

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, Mrs.Right said:

Thanks! I think they said they use “I Love You Day” like a Christmas type celebration with gifts and a big dinner. Maybe that’s why nobody was really there and there weren’t many gifts being opened. 

Yes, this is correct. I believe they stated it was Alyssa’s idea originally to celebrate “I Love You Day.”  As more kids started relationships it just kind of made sense that they switched to having their big family gathering at that point rather than at Christmas - it freed up their kids to spend the holidays with their in-laws and didn’t make them feel forced to choose between families each year. It’s probably the only parenting decision I’ll give Gil and Kelly credit for because it actually makes sense. 

ETA: Oh! And travel is usually cheaper and easier away from a major holiday like Christmas too.  

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 11
  • Love 1

The one other thing that happened in this week’s episode is that the Bates got a puppy. He’s very cute and there was an absolutely adorable shot of him tugging at a string of Christmas lights. Gil said he replaced a dog who had died, who they had for 17 or 18 years. Does anyone remember ever seeing that dog?

Also, Michael and Brandon were at the Christmas party. Michael looked very happy and said something about clicking right back into place. Probably they decided to move around that time.

• Thank You 1

5 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Gil said he replaced a dog who had died, who they had for 17 or 18 years. Does anyone remember ever seeing that dog?

Years blogging and filming their lives indoors and outdoors and never showed their dog? L.I.E

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1

Johnny has been in a few episodes. The one I remember most is the spring cleaning episode. Johnny apparently had a favorite arm chair on the porch that Kelly wanted to get rid of. I believe they decided not to get rid of it. I only remember because I find dogs much more likeable than fundies trying to act like they are normal and thought it was weird (given their history) how much love they expressed for Johnny.  Recap from Up here, which is also where I snagged the screen shot. 

3C37FE2E-FACD-42EA-ABBB-200AED5FE6BC.jpeg

Edited by Scoodilypoop
  • Upvote 8
  • Thank You 7

I just rewatched the beginning of the last episode. Every is NOWHERE in the car with Erin, Lawson, Carlin and Gil. They even show the car moving with Lawson’s legs draped over an empty car seat.  They get to the hospital without Everly but then state Gil is watching her?

The editing on this show is terrible.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

I've been catching up with old BuB episodes from 2016.  Johnny the dog is shown a lot, but sadly is treated much like the Duggar "pets".  He's always on the porch when anyone enters or exits, waiting for a pet, scratch, or kind word, only to be ignored.  He also follows the little kids when they play outside, but again no interaction.

The episode with the chair was the only time I saw them pay attention to the dog.  They were getting rid of the chair and had placed it on the porch for pick-up.  Johnny took a liking to the chair and laid down in it.  They still got rid of the chair and got a big (dog-bed) pillow to put on the porch for him. 
I wasn't terribly impressed.  

I hope they do better with the puppy and give him the love and care he deserves for his entire life and not just while he's a cute puppy.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

I'll admit I'm an over-the-top dog lover. I instantly fall in love with every single dog I see. When my husband and I were still together, whenever I would come home the first thing I did was stop to love on my little dog, Molly. How can you not? She's at my feet screaming (seriously screaming) because she's so happy I'm home!! How can you not love on that??? A few days ago I was cleaning my windows and the neighbor came home. They have 2 dogs. The dogs ran out to greet her and she just walked right past them. It made me so sad (probably stupid but it did) I just wanted to walk over and love on them dogs. I have no idea the circumstances, she may have had a horrible day and just wanted to get in the house, who knows, but as a dog lover that baffled me. 

• Love 9

On 4/13/2019 at 4:40 AM, Scoodilypoop said:

Johnny has been in a few episodes. The one I remember most is the spring cleaning episode. Johnny apparently had a favorite arm chair on the porch that Kelly wanted to get rid of. I believe they decided not to get rid of it. I only remember because I find dogs much more likeable than fundies trying to act like they are normal and thought it was weird (given their history) how much love they expressed for Johnny.  Recap from Up here, which is also where I snagged the screen shot. 

3C37FE2E-FACD-42EA-ABBB-200AED5FE6BC.jpeg

That’s the exact episode I was thinking of when I thought of Johnny. I’m glad they kept that ratty old chair since it was his favorite. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

That’s the exact episode I was thinking of when I thought of Johnny. I’m glad they kept that ratty old chair since it was his favorite. 

Nah, they hauled the chair away and got him a pillow to lay on instead.  I watched the episode last week & was kind of hoping they'd keep the chair for him, but they didn't.  :(  

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 3

8 hours ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

Nah, they hauled the chair away and got him a pillow to lay on instead.  I watched the episode last week & was kind of hoping they'd keep the chair for him, but they didn't.  :(  

Poor Johnny. I’m sure he was largely ignored. Enormous fundie families are the last families that should be getting a dog. The older children have enough to do. They don’t need someone else to take care of. Because we know the parents won’t.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

I am in the middle of catching up on the last 3 or so seasons of the Bates as I took a very big pause. Do they explain why the courtship request has become so much like an engagement? I guess I'm a little confused with the differences between the courtship and the engagement since the way the guys are asking the girls into a courtship seems like they are in fact asking the girl to marry them but... just not. I also saw a poster mention that a lot of the older married couples don't go to the same church as the rest of the family. Do they talk about that at all? Back to catching up!

On 4/14/2019 at 7:21 AM, miss_batson said:

Her caption is really interesting. I hope it isnt about a future husband. ??

At their rate, it’s pretty much expected now. At least for her to be in the possible courting stages. 

• Upvote 4

Our dogs were like our children. They'd hear my car turn into the neighborhood and sit at the door waiting for me. Didn't matter what kind of shitty day I'd had, they made it all better. Can't wait until we have a house again, the FIRST thing I'm doing is adopting another dog. The ferocious felines won't be pleased but they'll get over it. Those 2 will always be my babies. Big stupid is at the end of the couch right now laying like a more "normal" cat. Don't know where Lil girl is, probably upstairs chilling. 

We took our dogs with us from Virginia to Arizona to Nevada. We had to rehome them when the shit hit the fan. It fucking killed me to have to give them up, I mean, 3 years later I'm STILL gutted that I couldn't fulfill my promise to them. A friend of a friend took them both, but I am GUTTED. I know one of them has crossed the rainbow bridge now, and I can't imagine how his "little brother" is getting along w/o him.  I can't imagine just ignoring a furball...

• Love 14

Thebatesfam Instagram posted pics of the girls modeling, along with Kelly. She said in the captain that they asked her to model because they wanted someone to wear the XL. I have to say I’m impressed by that level of business savvy/inclusiveness from the girls, since modeling clothes online in multiple sizes is becoming a bigger trend. As someone who buys towards the XL side of things, it’s a smart and appreciated move - bc I often write off looks online bc I don’t think it’ll look good/the same in my size. 

In other news Kelly bragged about getting all the dresses for free so her grift muscle is still in tip top shape. 

• Upvote 22
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Sheltie said:

She also said she was waiting for it to open so she could pay.

I don’t recommend holding your breath while waiting for this to happen. ?

But seriously, I’d be surprised if she pays them and this wasn’t just an attempt to make everyone look good - Carlin, Erin, and Whit for offering to let her keep them for free and Kelly for wanting to pay them back. 

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 8
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

Thebatesfam Instagram posted pics of the girls modeling, along with Kelly. She said in the captain that they asked her to model because they wanted someone to wear the XL. I have to say I’m impressed by that level of business savvy/inclusiveness from the girls, since modeling clothes online in multiple sizes is becoming a bigger trend. As someone who buys towards the XL side of things, it’s a smart and appreciated move - bc I often write off looks online bc I don’t think it’ll look good/the same in my size. 

In other news Kelly bragged about getting all the dresses for free so her grift muscle is still in tip top shape. 

Plus Kelly is older. That could appeal to older ladies looking at their instagrams. When you only see 20 something women in clothes, it can make you think it’s too young of a look for you. When that’s not the case. 

• Upvote 13
  • Love 3

I just saw Kelly as a model and I think it's great.  There are so many things I hate about the Bates, but I give them props for including a larger-size model, and using their mom for it is pretty sweet. And I'm glad Kelly is comfortable admitting her size publicly. If these girls have to pop out baby after baby and least they have a role model saying it's okay if they don't also stay super thin. 

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

54 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

I just saw Kelly as a model and I think it's great.  There are so many things I hate about the Bates, but I give them props for including a larger-size model, and using their mom for it is pretty sweet. And I'm glad Kelly is comfortable admitting her size publicly. If these girls have to pop out baby after baby and least they have a role model saying it's okay if they don't also stay super thin. 

I remember Kelly being pretty open about her weight struggles in their old blog. Which I think is good I guess. However I imagine fundieland puts even more pressure on women to stay thin. There’s already enough pressure in mainstream US culture. It’s too bad more of us can’t accept our bodies more. I’m including myself in that statement. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 2

Mine are total lovebugs. They thrive on our affection and us on theirs, such good dogs love them dearly. Our boy is a pitbull/staffy and one day he is going to smooch someone to death lol. Probably my four year old. This is the dogs and child all trying to climb onto dad at once. My poor hubby....

20190407_201840.jpg

Edited by HurricaneBells
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 14

Their online boutique sold out very quickly, granted they did say they were starting off small so we don’t know how many pieces they sold. I am impressed so far, it’s smart to start off slow, the dresses are cute and the prices are surprisingly low.

It would be interesting to have insight to the family reaction if it becomes wildly successful. 

52 minutes ago, TeaELSee said:

Their online boutique sold out very quickly, granted they did say they were starting off small so we don’t know how many pieces they sold. I am impressed so far, it’s smart to start off slow, the dresses are cute and the prices are surprisingly low.

It would be interesting to have insight to the family reaction if it becomes wildly successful. 

So how do these online boutiques work--do they actually have boxes of these cheap dresses shipped from China, sitting in their houses? Or is their website really just functioning as a middle man, and they aren't actually processing the orders--or mailing the packages out themselves?

I can't speak for others, but I try to stay away from cheap polyester fast  fashion from China as much as possible. For personal environmental (and small business supporting) reasons, I try to buy as much of my clothing & shoes used as I can.  But I know that isn't possible for everyone.

• Upvote 7

I have no idea how retail works, or what the quality of their clothing is. I wouldn’t shop from them, I just thought the dresses were cute and cheap.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, HereticHick said:

So how do these online boutiques work--do they actually have boxes of these cheap dresses shipped from China, sitting in their houses? Or is their website really just functioning as a middle man, and they aren't actually processing the orders--or mailing the packages out themselves?

It depends but usually you can guess by the delivery time. If it is taking a few weeks to arrive it is definitely coming straight from China. If it is quite fast you can expect them to hold a small stock at home.

• Upvote 3

• Georgiana locked this topic