IGNORED

Bates 26: Do Not Attempt This at Home

Coconut Flan

I’m interested that Whitney is involved given her realtor work. Makes me wonder if she is moving away from realty.

In the last episode Zach said that seatbelts save lives and pulled someone over for not wearing a seatbelt.  Glad to see someone in the Bates family believes in them. 

• Upvote 25

"A Newlywed Nest & Trace Put to the Test" Recap

Gil and Kelly take Addallee to audiologist Samantha Wallenstein and pediatric otolaryngologist Dr. John Little.

Addee was born premature with the cord wrapped around her neck, causing her to stop breathing for a period of time. “…Yet she had no problems,” says Carlin, who helps Addee with schoolwork and piano. “It literally was a miracle. But when she started school, we started realizing she couldn’t really hear what we were saying.”

“Addee was struggling to hear, but Gil would talk to her, and she seemed to hear fine, and when we ended up making an audiology appointment, we realized she could hear the male lower range voices better than she could hear the higher range female voices, so they prescribed her hearing aids,” explains Kelly.

Addee’s previous hearing aids were uncomfortable and caused a lot of feedback, but the new digital ones work much better. The hearing test determines that she has normal hearing in the low frequency sounds and significant hearing loss in the mid to high frequency sounds, and the new hearing aids help balance those out. Thankfully, the doctor says that her hearing loss is stable.

“I’ve noticed an improvement all around, her hearing, her speech, everything,” says Kelly. “… I don’t have to worry about her confidence level. She feels good about herself right now.”

“The biggest difference in the new hearing aids is probably that I don’t pick up so much background noise, which is kind of nice when I’m here,” says Addallee. “Ya ‘cause there’s a lot of noise going on here all the time,” agrees Kelly. “There’s always background noise.”

Josie’s church friend Samantha comes over to help her decorate her new apartment. Whitney stops by to see the progress. “I’ve always been more drawn to the bohemian type of decorations,” says Josie. “I wanted to have something that was a little bit modern but still different from everything else.” Josie likes more muted colors, versus brighter colors.

Later, Gil and Kelly surprise Judson and Jeb by taking them to an indoor rock-climbing gym. “Let me just say this,” Kelly tells the boys. “You have never seen your mama do this before.”

“Because we have such a big family, we really want to make sure that we make ourselves put something on the calendar so that some of the younger kids don’t get lost in the shuffle of things,” says Kelly. “There’s something about little outings and to say, ‘You are special, and we’re going to take time to have fun with you.’” 

Kelly makes an attempt at the rock wall, but she doesn’t get very far before she climbs down. “The problem is, from the ground, these walls look not very high,” says the mom of 19. “But I’m going to tell you, when you get up there…I couldn’t have been more scared. I just froze. It was terrifying.”

Judson makes it to the top of a really tall wall. When he’s halfway up, he starts freaking out, but Gil and Kelly encourage him to finish, and he does! Like Kelly, he doesn’t trust the belay and climbs all the way down to the bottom.

“I really think, I’ve got a good tree worker for at least the next twenty years,” says Gil. “I’ve got me a new replacement.”

At the end of the episode, Trace, who just joined the deputy reserve as a volunteer, goes on a ride-along with Zach. “I’m super excited to be kind of a mentor for my younger brother,” says Zach. “He’s really looking at making a career out of this…” 

"I really would love to go full-time deputy, but right now I've got something very good for me working with Chad, learning a little bit of construction, but I'm just trying to figure out which one do I do

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 12

Wow, what kind of parents don't even realize their kid can't hear them until they're school aged?  That's some straight out neglect as far as I'm concerned. 

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 14
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, lumpentheologie said:

Wow, what kind of parents don't even realize their kid can't hear them until they're school aged?  That's some straight out neglect as far as I'm concerned. 

Anyone remember/follow the Apollo 14 mom? She adopted 3 tweens from Africa and then slowly get rid of them as teens because they were difficult, and her baby Apollo (#14 if you count the adopted kids she almost never mentions) had a ton of medical/heart issues. She didn't realize one of her bio daughters was deaf in one ear until the poor kid was 12. TWELVE. 

• WTF 10

1 hour ago, lumpentheologie said:

This! I also cringed when they discussed how loud the background noise is at their house while admitting it made it more difficult for the poor kid. 

I can’t imagine how hard and stressful  hearing through all that noise is for her.

edit: Also she was born not breathing and needed CPR! How in the hell was she not monitored for problems?

Edited by TeaELSee
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4

9 hours ago, miss_batson said:

we make ourselves put something on the calendar so that some of the younger kids don’t get lost in the shuffle of things,” says Kelly. “There’s something about little outings and to say, ‘You are special, and we’re going to take time to have fun with you.’” 

Thanks for the summary.

Really? You have to write something on a calendar so you don't forget you have other kids to do things with? I wonder if the littles are made to feel guilty because their parents have to stop doing other things just to spend some time with them. Weird and sad. I don't believe the littles feel special at all.

• Upvote 2

This week livestream:

Only Lawson and Kelly this week, they are in a car, Lawson has been recording a new cd at the studio. I guess they are in Nashville.

Trace is currently a reserve deputy sheriff. Kelly points out how good Trace looks on his uniform and how good his character is. It sounded like a dating advert lol

Kelly says Addallee has been going to an audiologist since "she was a lot younger", she also mentions that it was such a personal thing to share for Addee and that they asked her if she was sure she wanted to do it. She wanted to do it to encourage others.

Kelly said Josie will announce gender and name of the baby next week.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 1

Maybe Kelly reads here.

Kelly: Jeb and Jud are funny. We all know you like them because you post how lovely-naughty they are, which toys you buy them etc. Now, could you please remember you have a Callie and an Ellie? Thank you.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

I’m still reading the old Bates blog and found this doozy. They are twisted people.

————————————

Kay W July 23, 2011 at 5:45 pm

I have a question and this is most assuredly not directed at Zach and Sarah, who surely have that glow about them, but just me wondering…what would happen if a courtship did not result in an engagement or an engagement not result in a wedding? Has this ever happened?

Gil July 25, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Dear Kay,
Unfortunately, we’ve heard of it happening many times. In the cases we have heard about, the couple either rushed into a relationship without really knowing each other and without having like beliefs and goals, or one of them was dishonest and presented themselves as being something they were not. Both of these scenarios could be avoided by getting to know each other before moving into a courtship relationship. However, if there has been a mistaken view of one another, it would be better to discover that early on before entering marriage. Asking parents, pastors, and other older married couple’s counsel could be a protection to avoid that heartache, since married couples often recognize red flags from their own wisdom and experiences. Love, Kelly

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3
  • Thank You 4

3 hours ago, Bobology said:

Thanks for the summary.

Really? You have to write something on a calendar so you don't forget you have other kids to do things with? I wonder if the littles are made to feel guilty because their parents have to stop doing other things just to spend some time with them. Weird and sad. I don't believe the littles feel special at all.

I used to plan special time with the kids that way. I just thought I was being organized and giving them something to look forward to.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, llucie said:

Kelly says Addallee has been going to an audiologist since "she was a lot younger", she also mentions that it was such a personal thing to share for Addee and that they asked her if she was sure she wanted to do it. She wanted to do it to encourage others.

It was nice to see Addee seeming so confident and happy in this episode. She seems like a really sweet kid. 

As a special educator (of the certified, MSED variety, not the Crown College variety) I find myself wondering if she ever got any kind of services, e.g. speech therapy? I checked, and Tennessee does provide services as needed to homeschooled students, so even if they realized too late for early intervention, school-age services would have been available. I can't imagine she got them; I feel like they would have been quick to say so. There would have been a lot of opportunities there to get the support she needed with speech, to perhaps be bilingual in ASL and spoken English (which would have been especially important for her when she was below reading age), etc.

Anyway. Has anyone heard that they did any of this for her? I'd be so happy to be proven wrong here!!

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

16 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

Kay W July 23, 2011 at 5:45 pm

I have a question and this is most assuredly not directed at Zach and Sarah, who surely have that glow about them, but just me wondering…what would happen if a courtship did not result in an engagement or an engagement not result in a wedding?

"that glow about them" hahahahaha.

If only it had been the Taryn Yaeger soft focus glow, they'd still be together, living in the hazy happily ever after.

Edited by HereticHick
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 11
  • Love 1

On 3/22/2019 at 9:28 AM, lumpentheologie said:

I am hearing impaired and my parents didn't find out until I was 4 years old. I taught myself how to lip read and I have always been in the normal hearing world. They also didn't do hearing tests on infants like they di now. 

• Upvote 5

On 3/23/2019 at 10:19 AM, HereticHick said:

Hmmm....remembering the cringeworthy courtship proposal and some of the photos from both families' blogs, it was clear that Zach and Sarah did not have the "glow about them".   Zach seemed happy but what was shown of them together was just so damn awkward, I don't know how anyone could say there was "a glow" about them.   

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, nokidsmom said:

Hmmm....remembering the cringeworthy courtship proposal and some of the photos from both families' blogs, it was clear that Zach and Sarah did not have the "glow about them".   Zach seemed happy but what was shown of them together was just so damn awkward, I don't know how anyone could say there was "a glow" about them.   

They showed it on one of the Nightline episodes years ago. It cracked me up because he mumbled so much that even the microphones had a hard time picking him up. JuJu Chang had to interpret for him for the cameras. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

They showed it on one of the Nightline episodes years ago. It cracked me up because he mumbled so much that even the microphones had a hard time picking him up. JuJu Chang had to interpret for him for the cameras. 

I remember that episode, went looking for it after reading about it here.  It was no wonder the Sarah had the horrified look that she had.  It was debated that she was completely surprised / didn't expect it but I wonder if it was more because of Zach sweating and mumbling than not being aware of his intentions.  

Ok I haven't ever posted this but this is my take:  Sarah did court him for several months so based on this she was willing to give him a chance.  This is my theory and only my theory, but I think things came to an end because Zach proposed.  And she realized she wasn't feeling it so felt duty bound to end it because they were in completely different places with regard to their relationship.  Zach seemed happy and oblivious to the clues.    Speculation, ok yeah, and it was years ago, but I think the broken courtship with Sarah really steered Zach into the choices he's made with his life because he learned well, not to listen to his parents as much.  That courtship had Gil and Kelly's fingerprints all over it.  

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

On 3/23/2019 at 11:19 AM, HereticHick said:

If only it had been the Taryn Yaeger soft focus glow, they'd still be together, living in the hazy happily ever after.

Well, Zach WAS in a cold sweat - how's that for a "glow"?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

Bringing Up Bates "A Proposal to Remember & A Baby on the Way"

Chad takes Erin to Whitestone Country Inn, which is where they were engaged, to celebrate their fifth anniversary. “It’s wonderful to be back,” says Chad. They have booked the Mallard Suite. “This is like the most luxurious thing we’ve ever stayed in,” says Erin.

When Erin enters the room, she finds a bouquet of wildflowers and a little package of goodies from Chad. “I would take this over a million roses any day,” she says. They kick off their getaway with a private cooking lesson with the inn’s chef. They make a pan-seared chicken breast with a portabella cream gravy. The secret to the perfect pan-seared chicken breast is to sear it in a cast-iron skillet with the skin side down first. “I think Chad knows that I love cooking,” says Erin.

Later, they sit inside the little country church and exchange gifts. Erin presents Chad with his beloved Bible that she had rebound. She also gives him a journal because “One of my favorite things about you is that you journal,” says Erin. “I love that you take time to reflect, and I love the fact that I can go back ten, even 15 years into your life. It’s just the sweetest thing to me.”

Chad takes Erin on a ride in a horse-drawn carriage, just like they did before they got engaged. And then just like they did five years ago, they get off at the gazebo, where Chad has flowers waiting. “You’ve been the best mom, the best wife, and I just want to say thank you so much,” says Chad. “This is a little token of my love for you, and it’s also a little token from our three little children.” He gives her two beautiful rings that fit together. Erin is blown away.

“…Erin has poured her life into three little lives, and...she has poured her life into me, and so one ring was from the children, one ring was from myself,” explains Chad.

Gil and Kelly are back home with the Paine kids playing a game of Mother May I. “Gil says that it’s hard for him to picture himself as a grandpa because he still in his mind pictures himself as 24 and wrestling and running…but me, I wouldn’t trade it for the world. I will keep dying my hair. I don’t want the gray hair, but I love being Granny.” When Gil was Chad’s age (31), he had 7 children.

The East Tennessee Bates get together at a pumpkin patch to celebrate Bradley’s fourth birthday. “Wait, who’s four?!” exclaims Lawson. “I thought he was two!”

“He’s so full of energy, and yet he’s so sweet and sensitive,” says Kelly of Bradley. “I’m Granny’s favorite cause I am so good-looking,” Bradley tells the camera, laughing.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 6

2 hours ago, miss_batson said:

“I’m Granny’s favorite cause I am so good-looking,” Bradley tells the camera, laughing.

That is such a kid thing to say. Bradley is adorable. I laughed at that. I have a feeling Zach taught him that one.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5

On 3/29/2019 at 12:29 PM, miss_batson said:

Later, they sit inside the little country church and exchange gifts. Erin presents Chad with his beloved Bible that she had rebound. She also gives him a journal because “One of my favorite things about you is that you journal,” says Erin. “I love that you take time to reflect, and I love the fact that I can go back ten, even 15 years into your life. It’s just the sweetest thing to me.”

Does Erin just browse through Chad's journals from 10-15 years ago?  I know these people have terrible boundaries, but damn.  Never in a billion years would I let my husband do that.  Some things are just private. 

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 3

On 2/27/2019 at 4:02 PM, Melissa1977 said:

They get classes in the school, not only in the salon. They have to learn a lot of Bible verses, a subject which fundie kids barely learned before college and of course it's very important for a hairdresser.

What a nightmare it would be to sit at a hairdressers and having her tell you all about Jesus while holding scissors right next to your head? The horror!

On 3/11/2019 at 11:07 PM, JillyO said:

Okay, seriously, who ARE these people who apparently have unlimited amounts of money to just give to random grifters like Gil and Kelly Bates? I can understand giving your old swing set to a family with lots of kids, or helping one of the parents find a job. But who just gives a random family a new van, or a $50,000 truck, or sends them $500 checks? :dontgetit:

Who are they? But more importantly, where can I find them? I have a list of things I’d like to be given. For some of them I could consider pretending to believe ...

On 3/15/2019 at 1:20 AM, formergothardite said:

Gil's message titled The High Price of a Sensual Woman.

Hide contents

~Don't get off the path your parents have created for you. 

~If you get off the path of your parents you can die. 

I can’t believe you sat through these without pulling your hair out. Thank you!

I am 100% sure Gil wouldn’t like the path my parents have created for me. Ant that is one of the reasons I intend to stay on it. 

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

Wow, Jackson with a new haircut is a mini Lawson. 

Holy cow, I never realized before how much all the Bates sons look alike. ?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

• Georgiana locked this topic