IGNORED

Bates 26: Do Not Attempt This at Home

Coconut Flan

I can totally see Lawson performing at CarVans wedding with the music video featuring the bride and groom being displayed on a super big screen. I mean, you gotta top the other weddings somehow. Lawson singing (alone) and a song written specifically for the occassion/couple just won't do it anymore. It has to be EXTRA SPECIAL, y'all.

I find it very interesting though that Josie seems to have borrowed Carlin her wedding dress. I freely admit that I would not like to see anybody else in MY dress.?

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Harlot Vestments is my new band name. Thanks for the lols, @nastyhobbitses!

Maybe Carlin will save a buck and go for one of the 2018 dresses:

https://www.nicolespose.it/en/wedding-dress-Colet--COAB18232-2018

https://www.nicolespose.it/en/wedding-dress-Colet--COAB18239-2018

https://www.nicolespose.it/en/wedding-dress-Colet--COAB18241-2018

https://www.nicolespose.it/en/wedding-dress-Colet--COAB18254-2018

https://www.nicolespose.it/en/wedding-dress-Colet--COAB18216-2018

Also, whoever wrote that English website loves using the expression "princely bride" and I love it! I keep picturing ladies in Prince Charming's white suit being androgynous and fierce.

• Upvote 1

Now that the Bates have "lowered their modesty standards", maybe this little number for Carlin?

image.png

Sorry for double picture...not sure how to remove the other! ?

Edited by Coconut Flan
Removed duplicate photo.
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 19

21 minutes ago, NoKidsAndCounting said:

Now that the Bates have "lowered their modesty standards", maybe this little number for Carlin?image.png.24fd203b09b0c76ba0b9b253e03215a6.png

Sorry for double picture...not sure how to remove the other! ?

Now now, I'm sure she'll keep it a LITTLE more classy! 

Spoiler

CARAOLA_B.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 15

In last night's live chat Gil said they just found out something big today what is answer to many of their prayers. And he wanted to say what is it but Kelly and Carlin was like "are you crazy"  and gave him the look - shout up before its not to late?. I mean, i know they pray about every thing and could be nothing important, but it sounded like it is.. First thought croused my mind, maybe Michaela is pregnant? Or Whit.. And he did say they're expecting 10th grandchild (Josie's) and more comeing..

well.. receap of the episode ? "A Lattle Love"

“When we drove away together and we were by [ourselves], I literally felt like, ‘What just happened?’” says Josie. After their wedding, Josie and Kelton spend a couple nights in a rental home in Asheville, North Carolina. “It is so incredible to wake up next to my best friend…” says Kelton.

On the first day, they take an espresso class at Summit Coffee Co. Although Josie is a coffee fanatic, she discovers that she is not a huge fan of espresso. She prefers espresso plus milk, which is a latte. She and Kelton practice latte art, the term for the designs you can make when you pour the milk into the espresso. The newlyweds also tour a chocolate factory.

They next day, they hike up to chimney rock, which offers a breathtaking view. “Asheville is such a romantic location, and it was the perfect place to kind of break in being alone, being together,” says Kelton.

Meanwhile, since the Keilens, Smiths, and Websters are in town, everyone gathers to throw a shower for Tori and Bobby. They decorate the tables with items that Tori can use, like shampoo bottles and diaper cakes. Bobby kicks off the shower with a prayer, and then the guests are able to eat.

“The boys do not like to go to showers and stuff,” says Judson. “We’d rather be doing something like basketball, football, jumping off Mt. Everest with wingsuits.”

The shower is attended by lots of family members and friends. As one of the games, they compete to draw the cutest baby, which turns out to be very entertaining. Carlin is the winner.

Tori and Bobby also attempt to guess what goes in a diaper bag. “There’s two kinds of diaper bags,” says Zach. “What would you put in a diaper bag if you were packing it to be a new mom, or what would you put in a diaper bag for your second kid.”

It turns out to be an Erin bag. All the other moms laugh when she claims that you need lotion so you can rub it on your baby after they spit up so they don’t smell bad.

“Honestly, it was so amazing, literally the most adorable baby shower ever,” says Tori. “Everybody was there. They worked their tails off to get it set up.”

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 9

Kelton kept saying expresso instead of espresso. I bet it drove the coffee employee crazy to hear that over and over.

• Haha 11

No, he said it. Gil definitely let slip the answer to the prayers on the live and essentially gave away (edit: what I'm assuming is) the location of Carlin's wedding venue like a nutbag. I don't know if they've edited it since, but he said it for sure. 

Edited by lizzybee
  • Upvote 7

This isn’t exactly Bates related but it’s written by a woman whose family was featured on TLC for having a large family and being quiverfull. Thought some of you may be interested in reading it.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5c798c1be4b0e5e313ca43e0?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=main_fb&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063&utm_campaign=hp_fb_pages&fbclid=IwAR1rAxkjmFVFnWjHWgw8hSea52dgRJNcQsM4B3fmMSWdmx916pDBJEy60XY

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Seculardaisy said:

This isn’t exactly Bates related but it’s written by a woman whose family was featured on TLC for having a large family and being quiverfull. Thought some of you may be interested in reading it.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5c798c1be4b0e5e313ca43e0?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=main_fb&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063&utm_campaign=hp_fb_pages&fbclid=IwAR1rAxkjmFVFnWjHWgw8hSea52dgRJNcQsM4B3fmMSWdmx916pDBJEy60XY

The article is by Cynthia Jeub. The Jeub family has its own FJ forum and has been discussed extensively.

• Upvote 14

Anyone else watch this week?  Alyssa, Michael, Michael's husband (forget his name or is he Chad?) Erin, Whitney, Kelly, Chad, and the littles all went to a place where kids do crafts and other various play. Kelly was putting the pressure on for Brandon and Michael to move back. She reminded me of my mother in law (not a compliment). Then, Gil took some of the kids over to Erin's to do crafts. He stayed, kids made crafts. Then, the big boys went to the church to clean up the inside. One of them wants to get a licanse to fly a medical helicopter in the Philippines I believe. The other is learning all kids of things like being a deputy sheriff or doing construction work with Chad. Lawson talked about his best album yet and Nashville. Two of the three boys don't seem to be seeking any lady-friends, but they pointed to the middle one and hinted that he was available. Last portion was the married and Carlin women getting together at Whitney's to make crafts to go with Erin's Xmas album and talk about Carlin's wedding. Chad is building a stage with windows and chandeliers for the outdoor wedding, but he didn't know it. He looked thrilled to find that out. Another sit on the edge of your seat episode. 

Edited by fluffernutter
Brandon. Michael is with Brandon, Erin is with Chad.
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 4

8 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

where kids do crafts

kids made crafts.

to make crafts

So much crafting! :laughing-jumpingpurple:

If Michaela moves back Kelly will have to do even less parenting than she does now! You know she would just dump her kids on her daughter and go off to do her own thing. 

The IBLP family conference is coming up in April. Gil and Kelly are main speakers again and one of the "participating organizations" is the Bates Family. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

I watched the episode.  Erin totally signed Chad up for a serious project and his expression was priceless.  She definitely has a strong streak of Kelly's bullying other people into doing jobs for her.  Poor Chad. Erin just jumped in and created this whole elaborate set up for him and then let the producers spring it on him in a TH. "Oh, it's just a day project. "

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

If Carlin's wedding location was "God answered our prayers!" worthy then how boring. lol

Erin seems like she makes Chad into her slave, tbh. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

If anyone is interested, you can get a free month of Embassy Media without putting in a credit card number. I personally find the videos hard to get through but I made it through how to raise 19 kids with no steady income. 

Spoiler

~Gil started out in heating and air, but they moved so he quit his job. 

~He always thought he would be a coach because the guy who led him to be saved was a school coach. 

~Gil says his degree is in teaching and coaching. 

~Gil realized that since he didn't want to put his kids in school that working at a school wouldn't be a good idea, so he got a job at a grocery store bagging groceries and stocking shelves instead. 

~A guy comes up and offers him a job out of the blue. So he started working for Nabisco as a sales rep. He did that for seven years. 

~Reading between the lines it seems Gil didn't like working like normal folks. He says that he wanted his life to count for God but it seemed like instead he was working so much that it didn't. They had six kids at this point. 

~Someone told him to just deepen his life message and let God take care of the rest, but that wasn't what he wanted to hear. 

~So basically he started being more Christian at work. 

~He really wanted God to tell him to quit his job. He said he was willing to suffer if he didn't have to work for Nabisco. 

~Kelly asked Gil to buy the kids a swing set from Walmart since they could afford it. They had the money in the bank to buy it but Gil admits he doesn't like spending money on things like that. He said no because they needed to pray for God to provide one so they would have a good story to tell. 

~Gil stops here to tell people their biggest ministry is equipping and training bunches of children to go out in the world and have a bunch more kids. 

~A couple weeks later a person whose kids had out grown the swing set asked Gil if he wanted it. 

~This was a much nicer swing set than the one Kelly wanted  to buy so Gil reminds folks that if you spend your money buying stuff for your kids you will miss out on people feeling sorry for your kids and giving them nice stuff. He doesn't word it that way but that is basically what he is saying. 

~Gil's mother came to visit started telling her about all this stuff people are giving them and she tells Gil to quit bother God over tiny things so much and buy his own shit. Not in those words but that was what she meant. 

~Gil says no, God is deeply invested in Gil and Kelly's life and he prays for every thing and tells her that he is currently praying for a weed eater. Just an hour or so later a total stranger drives up and gives Gil a super nice weed eater. Gil's mother accuses him of planning this whole thing to make a point, but Gil denies it. I'm with Gil's mother. 

~Don't worry about leaving your kids money because they will spend it. Instead teach them to grift. 

~Gil rambles a lot and is hard to follow. 

~They decided to not go into debt but then Gil fell asleep at the wheel and crashed their car.

~People expected that he would go purchase  car since the car they had left didn't have enough seats for the family. Gil, of course just prays. 

~At this point people point out that he doesn't even provide for his own family and is worse than an infidel and he says people should have been more encouraging. I guess people were getting tired of him. 

~No car is given to him and they only have a car with two seats so he would drive the kids one at a time to church and leave them with someone and at the very last get Kelly. 

~People eventually started offering them rides to church and Gil brags that he never asked for help.

~The time line is screwed up here, because this was apparently back when he worked at the grocery store because then he got the job at Nabisco that came with a company car. But that still leave Kelly with only a car that has two seats since he is driving the company car. He says the even provided gas, so I'm assuming he couldn't just leave it at home while he drove the other car. Anyway, he doesn't address this. 

~Does Kelly drive? Because he says that if he had bought a car it would have sat the the yard not being driven. 

~Then Kelly gets pregnant again and they don't have enough room for all the kids in the company car. 

~Some people notice that and give them a station wagon. 

~He says he likes that his kids can say people gave them a car instead of seeing him buy a car. 

~Gil then decides to give the car to someone else. 

~They go back to taking several trips to church. 

~People notice and offer them a ride to church. 

~They managed to suck the people who drove them into IBLP

~Nobody would give them a vehicle so Gil had to save up and buy a van.

~They van breaks down the first week. It needs a new motor. Gil leaves it at the shop for months because he can't afford a motor and nobody is giving him one. Finally one day they come home(not sure what they were driving) to find their van sitting there fixed with a note from the guy saying that God provided a motor. I'm guessing someone from the church bought them a motor. 

~A couple years later the family goes to visit some friends who had bought a new red van. Gil immediately knows that they will try to give them that new van but God told Gil not to take it. The family offers Gil the van, he rejects it. 

~Gil later finds out that another family had sacrificed a whole lot to give the one family the new van and it would have crushed them if the van had been given to Gil after they had given up so much to buy it for the one family. That is an odd story. 

~A year later they go visit some folks who bought them a new red van. 

~They went to a church that was a bit put off by the Bates since Gil and Kelly refused to let their kids go to any of the kids classes or participate in any events. So they start going to the nursing home on Sunday because Gil says the nursing home folks dont' care if you can't sing or can't preach well. I'm sure that isn't true. 

~The church members had lots of family members at the nursing home who would brag to them about how awesome the Bates were. Gil does this weird high pitched voice that is awful .

~Gil left Nabisco, he says they downsized and he decided to not stay with them. Then they ended up with no money, no job offers and Gil crying because he couldn't get a job. 

~Then there is an article about them in the newspaper and someone decides to buy him a the equipment to cut trees. He got a $50,000 truck just given to him. 

~Then one day a guy drove all the way from Florida to give him a wood chipper. 

~People mail them $500 checks. 

So how to you raise 19 kids with no steady income? Wait for people to give you stuff. 

• Upvote 5
  • Angry 1
  • WTF 6
  • Thank You 20
  • Love 1

Gil's mother accuses him of planning this whole thing to make a point, but Gil denies it. I'm with Gil's mother. 

Ha ha ha ha!  I love this!  My former next door neighbors (quiverful) often prayed to be given things.  What they called prayer, I called dropping hints and making others feel sorry for the little ones.  Thanks for the recap!

• Upvote 11

12 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

Ha ha ha ha!  I love this!  My former next door neighbors (quiverful) often prayed to be given things.  What they called prayer, I called dropping hints and making others feel sorry for the little ones.  Thanks for the recap!

And Gil's mom would know.  She's no doubt seen him in action "planning" things out all his life.   Who would be the first person on whom young Gil would try dropping hints and making people feel sorry in order to get things?  Probably his parents!

• Upvote 11

Okay, seriously, who ARE these people who apparently have unlimited amounts of money to just give to random grifters like Gil and Kelly Bates? I can understand giving your old swing set to a family with lots of kids, or helping one of the parents find a job. But who just gives a random family a new van, or a $50,000 truck, or sends them $500 checks? :dontgetit:

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 10

42 minutes ago, JillyO said:

Okay, seriously, who ARE these people who apparently have unlimited amounts of money to just give to random grifters like Gil and Kelly Bates? I can understand giving your old swing set to a family with lots of kids, or helping one of the parents find a job. But who just gives a random family a new van, or a $50,000 truck, or sends them $500 checks? :dontgetit:

I wonder this ALL.THE.DAMN.TIME.

Especially considering these communities discourage advanced education, limiting family size, wives having a career, and delaying marriage for your career. I need answers to how these people do it. 

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, JillyO said:

But who just gives a random family a new van, or a $50,000 truck, or sends them $500 checks? :dontgetit:

There has to be a whole lot more to these stories than Gil is telling. I remember when they first appeared there were comments on news articles claiming to be locals who said they were tired of the family constantly wanting stuff given to them. After hearing his speech I find that very believable. Especially since he admits that people in his church were accusing him of refusing to support his family.  

Gil and Kelly could afford a swing set, but Gil wouldn't spend his own money and instead almost certainly hinted around for people to give him one. If they were truly being godly wouldn't they purchase their own swing set and let that one go to a family who didn't have the money to buy one? 

The whole story about the weed eater doesn't ring true at all, obviously his own mother didn't believe it. 

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 2

This is hustling fundie style. Gil and Kelly are no different than street hustlers and con artists.

• Upvote 20

Thank you for this, @formergothardite. I knew Gil was a grifter, but I had not realized it was quite at this level. Maybe we should start calling him GilRod.

• Upvote 20
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

• Georgiana locked this topic