IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin 6: Billy Madison Is Smarter than Gwen Shamblin

Coconut Flan

Exercise will also make you thirstier; the body requires more water to satisfy its needs, so you will automatically drink more water until those needs are met. 

So, does Gwod think that water is bad? Essential, zero calorie water?!

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
hit submit too soon
  • Upvote 7
  • WTF 1

13 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

So, does Gwod think that water is bad? Essential, zero calorie water?!

It is strange since you would think drinking lots of water would be something Gwen supports. She pushes drinking bunches of diet soda to try to keep your stomach from growling, why does drinking bunches of water which might do the same thing suddenly become bad? The only explanation is that Gwen doesn't like to drink water therefor drinking bunches of water is bad. Same with exercise. Gwen seems to not like exercising, so she preaches the dangers of exercise. 

No devotional up today. I guess she is struggling to hide the crazy while also not appearing to give into us and change how she writes. 

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

Even if she likes the diet soda because the carbonation helps make you feel full, there are carbonated waters. Some even have flavoring and are still zero calories. She just doesn't make any sense.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

She is back with another devotional on eating disorders. She is trying way to hard to pretend like she doesn't give our disordered eating advice. She claims that diets eliminating sugar or white flour causes eating disorders because your body is calling for the nutrients in flour and sugar and you are denying your body what it needs. I am pretty sure that is not how any of that works. Sure you can crave things filled with sugar and flour, but you body isn't requiring nutrients from them. 

She ends with saying that therapy and rehab just makes you focus on yourself and are bad. Tomorrow is going to be more about rehab and therapy. I told my therapists about Gwen and she was stunned that there is a whole church based on such wacky advice. 

• Upvote 11
  • WTF 1

52 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

She is back with another devotional on eating disorders. She is trying way to hard to pretend like she doesn't give our disordered eating advice. She claims that diets eliminating sugar or white flour causes eating disorders because your body is calling for the nutrients in flour and sugar and you are denying your body what it needs. I am pretty sure that is not how any of that works. Sure you can crave things filled with sugar and flour, but you body isn't requiring nutrients from them. 

She ends with saying that therapy and rehab just makes you focus on yourself and are bad. Tomorrow is going to be more about rehab and therapy. I told my therapists about Gwen and she was stunned that there is a whole church based on such wacky advice. 

Of course rehab and therapy are bad. I can 100% guarantee that every RF cult member who has gone to a decent rehab/intensive therapy program have been told that RF is BSC and unhealthy as all get out. Anyone who gets decent therapy from a licensed professional will be told the truth about RF. And Gwod will lose members. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

Shamblin, who is a former cheerleader, describes herself as having a crush on God.  "I think he is 
fabulously, wonderfully good-looking," she told me.  "I think he is a lot more normal than we think.  I think he is delightful 
and has got a great sense of humor.  He is so powerful, so rich, so famous.  He has got on designer clothes." 

So basically, God is Brad Pitt and he cares about what I eat at and when?

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

I am not a divine prophet nor do I play one on TV but I'm pretty sure there are no nutrients in sugar or white flour that you can't get more healthily elsewhere.

She just wants to eat cake.

• Upvote 13

18 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

It's good to learn what Joe is up to when Gwen is off shopping with God.

I don't know where the Billy Madison thread title came from, but it's just perfect after reading about the dumbest cults!  ?

It's from me. I read one of her devotionals and felt dumber for reading the post. I reference the devotional here but I didn't go back to the specific devotional that me feel dumber because frankly so many of her posts can make any one of us feel dumber after reading it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

They have moved their live chats to Thursdays at 3. It is a weird announcement video where Gwen says stuff and Joe repeats it louder. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

3 hours ago, formergothardite said:

She is back with another devotional on eating disorders. She is trying way to hard to pretend like she doesn't give our disordered eating advice.

Gwen may be pretending but even when she's trying to sound normal, she sounds crazy. Here's what stood out to me:

By following that diet that left out these nutrients, you thought what you were doing was righteous, but it was man’s rules— you feel guilty not following the diet and then you also feel guilty, though, from a binge that is basically driven from the wrong kind of self-denial. Self-denial must always be from God. For example, it is wrong to punish yourself with a fast. A fast should be something you feel God leading you to do for spiritual reasons.

There's right and wrong reasons to deny yourself. Starving yourself for no good reason is selfish but starving yourself for god is good. This is in a post aimed at anorexics and other disordered eaters. Gwen is so far removed from healthy eating habits that this sort of advice seems safe and neutral to her in the midst of damage control. 

Edited by SuperNova
  • Upvote 7

6 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

Gwen is so far removed from healthy eating habits that this sort of advice seems safe and neutral to her in the midst of damage control. 

It is very obvious the more she tries to present herself as having healthy advice the more her insanity is revealed. With her teachings someone with an eating disorder could easily convince themselves they are going hungry for God so they are being godly. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

RF is all about convincing yourself that your eating disorders and junk food cravings are Signs From God.

• Upvote 10

4 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

I am not a divine prophet nor do I play one on TV but I'm pretty sure there are no nutrients in sugar or white flour that you can't get more healthily elsewhere.

She just wants to eat cake.

But did you stay at a Holiday Inn?

I'm a diabetic.  I know for a fact that white flour and sugar are NOT good for me.  Hell, I restrict carbs so that I have better control of my sugars.  Yes, I cheat sometimes.  But the fact remains that I am much healthier when I eat whole foods than processed crap.  You're right, she jus wants to eat cake and has to justify it!

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

Gwen is still giving out advice for eating disorders. Horrible, horrible advice she should be ashamed of. 

And purging is not some disease or obsession. It is all a consequence of your lust for food. From that perspective, here is the cycle: You have a passion for food rather than God. That passion for food leads to overeating. Overeating leads to overweight. Overweight leads to dieting. Dieting does not address your misplaced passion, and deprivation while on this diet explodes in a binge. The ensuing guilt can take you in two directions:

This is just part of it. All the devotional is awful. 

• WTF 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 8

4 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Gwen is still giving out advice for eating disorders. Horrible, horrible advice she should be ashamed of. 

I wish Gwen would shut her stupid mouth. 

"Purging takes many forms. Some examples are vomiting (bulimia), fluid pills (diuretics), laxa- tives, or exercise."

It's hard to believe that this woman is a dietician. Vomiting food to control weight is not remotely similar to eating and exercising. I'm somone who loves to eat and exercise helps me stay healthy while eating virtually whatever I want. I don't use exercise to abuse my body and stuff my face with junk food and diet soda and my life doesn't revolve around a eat/shame/exercise cycle. It's like Gwen has no idea that some people are not consumed by thoughts of food.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

19 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

I wish Gwen would shut her stupid mouth. 

"Purging takes many forms. Some examples are vomiting (bulimia), fluid pills (diuretics), laxa- tives, or exercise."

It's hard to believe that this woman is a dietician. Vomiting food to control weight is not remotely similar to eating and exercising. I'm somone who loves to eat and exercise helps me stay healthy while eating virtually whatever I want. I don't use exercise to abuse my body and stuff my face with junk food and diet soda and my life doesn't revolve around a eat/shame/exercise cycle. It's like Gwen has no idea that some people are not consumed by thoughts of food.

I'm not trying to defend Gwen here, she is a horrible woman who no one should ever take advice from.

However to an eating disordered person exercise can absolutely be a form of purging. It can become a cycle where someone feels they must exercise a certain number of hours per day or must burn a certain number of calories in order to "justify" any food they ate that day. In my own experience, towards the end of my eating disorder, I would obsessively work out on an elliptical until I had burned more calories than I had eaten/ planned to eat that day. It's common for people in recovery to be banned from working out until they are able to do so healthfully again. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Calypso said:

I'm not trying to defend Gwen here, she is a horrible woman who no one should ever take advice from.

However to an eating disordered person exercise can absolutely be a form of purging. It can become a cycle where someone feels they must exercise a certain number of hours per day or must burn a certain number of calories in order to "justify" any food they ate that day. In my own experience, towards the end of my eating disorder, I would obsessively work out on an elliptical until I had burned more calories than I had eaten/ planned to eat that day. It's common for people in recovery to be banned from working out until they are able to do so healthfully again. 

My apologies for not being clear. It wasn't my intention to negate anyone's struggle. Gwen has vilified exercise in general regardless of weight or eating disorder and my comment was geared more towards that line of thought. But you're right, we're talking about disordered eating and I should have been more specific. 

• Upvote 6

On 4/15/2019 at 10:48 AM, formergothardite said:

They have moved their live chats to Thursdays at 3. It is a weird announcement video where Gwen says stuff and Joe repeats it louder. 

How are you able to see these announcements? We'd like to follow more closely so that we can refute more of her current teachings, but it looks like we'd have to register as members (and that form is more like a religious background check ?).

The video is on her FB page. The only thing I ever signed up for was her devotionals just in case she decides to eventually not have them on the website. 

• Thank You 3

On 4/8/2019 at 6:59 PM, OperationSunshine said:

It's sickening on so many levels. We gently asked someone about the wedding sermon we were at, trying to gently mention things that were just flat out wrong about the couple, and their response was something along the lines of "OMG wasn't her sermon just SO PERFECT! I'm just so thankful to hear that truth and it just spoke to my heart..." Like... wha?!

So you were at someone's wedding and spent time trying to point out things wrong with the COUPLE? I do hope that is a typo.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

So you were at someone's wedding and spent time trying to point out things wrong with the COUPLE? I do hope that is a typo.

Not sure what exactly is being referred to as wrong about the couple, but I attended many weddings while a member and Gwen or another leader would say something that wasn’t factual about the couple, and even occasionally the wrong name.....

• WTF 1
  • Thank You 3

The Weigh Down approach to eating is absolutely the answer to it all.

Here is the way to break the cycle:

1.Stop dieting and starving or purging to fix the binge or any over- eating. Replace it with hunger and fullness. The result will be no deprivation as you wake up today and know that as soon as you get hungry, you will be able to eat.

2.Replace the intensive desire to eat with an intensive desire for God, and the bingeing will end. As a result, the bulimia will subside. By reintroducing yourself to regular foods, you will not only learn to eat them with control, but the so-called “forbidden foods” will lose their appeal after a while.

Gwen's absolute answer to it all is, just stop it. Then, replace one unhealthy fixation with another. This woman is disgusting. 

Gwen should do herself a favor and go back to her regularly scheduled craziness. She's not even remotely qualified to be advising people who need genuine help. 

• Upvote 7

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic