IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin 6: Billy Madison Is Smarter than Gwen Shamblin

Coconut Flan

That sample list of food looks exactly like one I saw in a documentary about anorexia.  :(

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, throwaway9988 said:

And if Gwen rambles, then apparently God must want to teach you something buried within that rambling more than he wants your wedding guests to listen to a sermon that has literally anything to do with a wedding! The multiple levels of control Gwen has over these people is amazing. 

It's sickening on so many levels. We gently asked someone about the wedding sermon we were at, trying to gently mention things that were just flat out wrong about the couple, and their response was something along the lines of "OMG wasn't her sermon just SO PERFECT! I'm just so thankful to hear that truth and it just spoke to my heart..." Like... wha?!

We've also pointed out areas where Gwen is Biblically wrong, and the response is always EXACTLY the same... Gwen is bringing them closer to God and what she's saying makes perfect sense to them, and they don't understand how we don't understand it... even when we're literally showing them in the Bible where she's incorrect and making stuff up. I like how it was put up there... the mental gymnastics these people have to go through just to  follow Gwen is exhausting...

Edited by OperationSunshine
  • Upvote 14
  • Confused 1

Speaking of mental gymnastics...this is Gwen's daily devotional:

We are to take care of our body, and it should not be abused. We must do the best we can. We are to glorify God with what we have been given just as all the animals do.

Eating a few bites of junk food or drinking a diet coke is not a good example of taking care of your body. Teaching people to starve themselves is abuse.

However, we are not to obsess over looks. Do your best, and then forget your looks and show concern for others.

Who does she think she's kidding with this one? Gwen is hyper focused on appearances. Her hair, her clothing, her house, even her husband. Gwen chooses the wedding colors for her congregation and has specific color themes for church service. Her eye for unimportant minutiae is the very definition of obsessive.

Remember that if your mind is caught up in self-focus, it is enslaved—caught up in your own desires. You are a slave to whatever has mastered you.

Literally everything about RF is focused on Gwen. Gwen is the master and her congregants are the slaves caught up in their own desires to be thin and to feel singled out and special. 

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 1

I think all the anorexia talk here at FJ is making Gwen and her minions nervous. Today's daily devotional is, dare I say it, almost helpful. It reads like a product disclaimer meant to cover her ass.

The body is amazingly made; you are amazingly made. God designed all of us in His image, but each body is quite unique. Again, what the ideal body weight is for one person is not the ideal body weight for another. But the percentage of fat is basically the same— Men average 18 to 24 percent and women average 25 to 31 percent. God designed our systems so efficiently that when you eat according to hunger and fullness, your body will naturally go to a slender size and remain there. Your body knows when its reserves have all been used up, and your hunger sensation either will come more often or will require more food before being satisfied. It is important not to focus on a specific weight. It is also important not to repeatedly skip hunger signs. Continually ignoring the signal that your body needs to eat is as harmful as overeating. It can lead to anorexia and trying to maintain a body weight that is too thin and not healthy. As long as you are obedient to hunger and fullness, your body will reach and maintain the weight that God intends for you.

There is no way in hell that Gwen and her daughter have anywhere near 25 percent body fat. Gwen is ridiculously underweight and Elizabeth has been scary thin for awhile now. Is there such a thing as "too thin" in RF? I think not.

Also, Gwen has specifically given the advice to ignore hunger signals and skip meals. Why the about face? 

Edited by SuperNova
  • Upvote 13

3 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

I think all the anorexia talk here at FJ is making Gwen and her minions nervous.

ITA. Gwen is painfully thin,  her daughter looks like she is on the brink of starving to death and Gwen has said it is okay to only eat a tiny bit every 36 hours. Gwen seems desperate to prove that she doesn't encourage anorexia. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

On 4/8/2019 at 6:59 PM, OperationSunshine said:

It's sickening on so many levels. We gently asked someone about the wedding sermon we were at, trying to gently mention things that were just flat out wrong about the couple, and their response was something along the lines of "OMG wasn't her sermon just SO PERFECT! I'm just so thankful to hear that truth and it just spoke to my heart..." Like... wha?!

I heard something similar when I listened to a sermon where the preacher said, "In other words, you're nothing but a dirtbag."  

At that time, I had moved to another city because I had heard that a church there which had been part of a group of churches I was part of in college was trying to become more grace-oriented.  When I heard the sermon I'm referring to, I had gone to visit family.  This was my first time back in a church that was part of the group I'd been part of.

When I heard the comment about "dirtbag", I thought, "Say what?"  

Afterwards, I heard at least one person say, that just really convicted me (or words to that effect).  I just mentally shook my head.  

That particular church, and others in that group, ended up splitting.  While the group of churches I'm referring to still exists, they are not nearly as active as they used to be.

I believe the Bible teaches that we're all sinners.  I also believe the Bible teaches that Jesus died to save us from our sins.  I don't believe He would have done that if He didn't think we were worth dying for.  "Dirtbag" doesn't sound like someone is very valuable.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1

I still can't get over the TYPES of food that are "ok" to eat. She does not advocate for ANYTHING remotely healthy. Everything in moderation, sure, but if one wants to lose weight licking a chip and drinking diet coke won't help. Fill up on fresh vegetable, fish, lean meats, whole grains, and fruit! Eating a well rounded meal will make one less inclined to snack/eat bad foods all day long. She looks horrible and so does her daughter. I just can't stand her and if I saw her in public I'd be hard pressed not to laugh - yes, I'm totally snarking on her looks because that's what she basis her life and income around.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

It is almost 4 in the afternoon where I am and Gwen doesn't have a devotional up. Has Our Lady of the Sacred Growl not been able to come up with some words of wisdom she thinks will make her look good? 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 3

4 hours ago, formergothardite said:

It is almost 4 in the afternoon where I am and Gwen doesn't have a devotional up. Has Our Lady of the Sacred Growl not been able to come up with some words of wisdom she thinks will make her look good? 

Maybe she's waiting till she thinks we're all asleep.

Every time my stomach growls now, every time, I think of Gwen!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

I just have to wonder....what the hell is he smoking..... does he need the money THAT bad?????? He's 56....she's 65... unless he's just an absolute dip s***.....he's lived in California, he's traveled all over the world, he's an ex model and actor.... there is no way he can look at that and find her even remotely attractive. She looks disgusting in photos...imagine in real life (I cringe)...it's just mind boggling. It seems as if the mother of his daughter had a lot more going on 'career wise'. I looked up where she lives since I live in the area, and she lives in an apartment complex that is in a good area but kind of older and dated.....perhaps she spent a lot of money on attorney and court fees in custody battles. Does anyone know if Gwen and Joe have full custody of his daughter? 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Briefly said:

Every time my stomach growls now, every time, I think of Gwen!

Me too.  I’m like, “Gwod says I can eat—YAY!” :pb_lol:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 6

She just skipped yesterday but started back today. She is rather bitchy about how sad it is people don't follow Weigh Down. She also gives conflicting advice. If your weight goes up one week it is because you are no obeying Gwod. But then later she says if you are following her diet plan then one week you might lose four pounds, the next week nothing and the next week gain a pound but not to worry just track your weight over time to get the big picture on losing weight. Then in the same paragraph she talks about how sad it is people focus on their weight,  also, get the record your weight with the Weigh Down weight chart. You can find that in her book that only costs $29.99.  She can't even keep it together for a devotional I can't image she can do well in an entire sermon! 

The body is made of mainly water, and water can fluctuate. If you have been obedient to hunger and fullness, you will lose weight. Therefore, keep food records of hunger and fullness. Do not be surprised if your weight goes up if you are disobedient to the stomach.

Do not get depressed if one week your weight does not go down and you did everything right; you are being tested to see if you will be obedient to God even without immediate reward.

It is helpful to pick a time of day to weigh, and then know that if you have been obedient and you are finding hunger, there is no reason to be upset if the scale does not go down. Instead, use that energy to make sure that you are waiting for hunger and stopping when you are satisfied. One week you may lose four pounds, and the next week you may not lose anything. It may even go up a pound one week. Just look at the pattern over a three-week period. If there is no progress for three weeks, you are probably missing the boat and not telling yourself the truth.

Just keep focused on what you are supposed to be doing—use your conscience and talk to God; if the graph is not going down, then run to God more and eat less food! Get encouragement from the WeighDown office and the Regional Representatives, who are invaluable for success. The body of Christ cannot do without each other; a foot cannot say to a hand, “I have no need of you.” (I Corinthians 12:21)  We need the accountability, the prayers of the Saints, the fellowship, and the encouragement. The Weigh- Down Facebook Group offers wonderful help and encouragement as well!

You can depend on numbers on a scale to a fault. How sad to think of the millions of people in this country focusing on the body weight more than the weight of their heart. However, you cannot throw the scales out, for they are the truth. You need to weigh no more than once per day. You will want to record your weight. See Weigh Down Works! for a weight chart.

Social Share

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 7

My stomach has made some crazy growl sounds about 45 minutes after I’ve eaten and I’m not hungry. Sometimes I’m just a loud digester! Growls don’t automatically mean you are hungry. Gwen knows very little about digestion it seems. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

My stomach has made some crazy growl sounds about 45 minutes after I’ve eaten and I’m not hungry. Sometimes I’m just a loud digester! Growls don’t automatically mean you are hungry. Gwen knows very little about digestion it seems. 

My stomach does the same thing. If I ate every time my stomach made noises I would probably gain weight! 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

disobedient to the stomach

Get encouragement from the WeighDown office and the Regional Representatives

$29.99

Thanks for the devotional post, @formergothardite - With each posting, I have come to more thoroughly understand the teaching of Gwen's cult (is that a gwult?), and think I have figured it out with the key components listed above.  Kidding, because I'm not crazy!!!  I do love the phrase "disobedient to the stomach."  My stomach growls in a most unholy manner at the most inopportune times, whether it's been fed or not.  ?

• Upvote 8

5 hours ago, formergothardite said:

She just skipped yesterday but started back today. She is rather bitchy about how sad it is people don't follow Weigh Down. She also gives conflicting advice. If your weight goes up one week it is because you are no obeying Gwod. But then later she says if you are following her diet plan then one week you might lose four pounds, the next week nothing and the next week gain a pound but not to worry just track your weight over time to get the big picture on losing weight. Then in the same paragraph she talks about how sad it is people focus on their weight,  also, get the record your weight with the Weigh Down weight chart. You can find that in her book that only costs $29.99.  She can't even keep it together for a devotional I can't image she can do well in an entire sermon! 

I think she took yesterday off to gather her bearings. Today's devotional comes across as an attempt to close ranks while trying to appear normal. Gwen tells her followers to seek "encouragement" from the weigh down offices, regional reps, their facebook group, and of course her books. No doubt that it's business as usual in those closed sources, giving the same shitty advice about waiting for the growl, licking chips, and starving yourself.

• Upvote 7

Does she really say to lick chips? ? Pretty soon she will turn into those new-age lying wackos who claimed to eat nothing but air and sunlight for three months

• Upvote 5

I haven't found where she says to lick chips but I found this article by someone who interviewed her and ate lunch with her in 2001. Gwen got an appetizer of chips, salsa and diet coke. Gwen then picked through all the chips to find the ones with the most salt and ate them. Gwen told this person that it isn't healthy to eat a lot of vegetables. 

Then we headed out to J. Alexander's restaurant, nearby.  Shamblin ordered a Diet Coke and 
an appetizer of chips and salsa.

In her books, Shamblin describes her method of eating chips--she sorts through the pile, looking for ones with the most salt onthem--and this was how she proceeded, eating a chip or two while waiting for her main course of grilled-chicken salad and a basketof fries with horseradish sauce.  When the salad arrived, Shamblin picked at the iceberg lettuce and slivers of meat, and dunkeda few French fries in the sauce.  During the course of lunch, she ate perhaps twenty bites of salad and six fries. 

Another weigh down follower described his diet.

"I got up and had a chocolate Pop Tart," he said.  "I was feeling some hunger around eight or nine this morning, so I got one of those fun-sized candy bars.  For lunch, I had lasagna with some corn, with butter and salt.  Then for dinner I went to Taco Bell and had a chalupa--that's like a bready soft taco that is deep fried, with pintos and cheese.
And I had a couple of bites of chocolate taco and ice cream."

The woman went to a weigh down meeting and they ended it by handing out candy. 

Rivera closed the meeting by passing around a basket containing miniature packs of M & M's, to which had been affixed
a label bearing a quotation from Psalm 145: "The eyes of all look to you, Lord, and you give them their food at the proper
time.  You open your hand and satisfy the desires of every living thing."

And this is how Gwen describes God which sounds absolutely the opposite of the Jesus in the Bible. I get the impression Gwen wouldn't like Jesus. 

Shamblin, who is a former cheerleader, describes herself as having a crush on God.  "I think he is 
fabulously, wonderfully good-looking," she told me.  "I think he is a lot more normal than we think.  I think he is delightful 
and has got a great sense of humor.  He is so powerful, so rich, so famous.  He has got on designer clothes."

She thinks that vitamin supplements are unnecessary, and she is dubious about
the benefits of exercise, because, she says, it is merely another form of enslavement; the only exercise Shamblin recommends is for people to get down on their knees and pray.  She has no patience with the self-help ethos that has prevailed in the past few years, in which behaviors that have traditionally been thought of as sins, such as overeating, drinking, and drug use, have been labelled as addictions.  She told me, "There's a view that if you're fat there is something wrong with you--it is genetic, it is congenital, it is inherited, it is your mother's fault"; she is skeptical of the suggestion that there could be any explanation for obesity other than downright disobedience to God.  The natural state of man is slender, she said.  "If you look at National Geographic magazine pictures taken in Third World countries where food is not the addiction--I am not referring to pictures of starving people--you will see that God made people's bodies to be lean," Shamblin writes in "The Weigh Down Diet."  She doesn't believe  that there is such a thing as a genetic predisposition to fat.  "Let's go back to the Holocaust," she suggested to me.  "To the  concentration camps, where there was less food.  What person genetically predisposed to obesity was in there, out of the  millions and millions that died?  When they ate less food, they became emaciated."

http://www.spiritwatch.org/rebeccamead.htm

• Disgust 1
  • Confused 1
  • WTF 12
  • Thank You 3

Whenever we talk about the growl, I hear John Prine in my head.

Dear Abby, dear Abby,

You won't believe this,

But my stomach makes noises whenever I kiss.

My girlfriend tells me it's all in my head,

But my stomach tells me to write you instead.

Signed, Noise Maker

• Haha 4
  • Love 2

Weigh Down has helped many anorexics and bulimics to let go of control and become at peace with their bodies. The anorexic person who responds to physical hunger as taught through Weigh Down will gain the appropriate weight their body needs for good health. It is important for the anorexic not to skip hunger signs. Ignoring the signal that your body needs to eat is as disobedient as overeating. Bulimics will also learn to eat within hunger and fullness and learn to end the cycle of bingeing and purging. As long as you are obedient to hunger and fullness, your body will reach and maintain the weight that God intends for you. By applying these principles, those with eating disorders have improved their health and changed their focus on food and their obsession for thinness, over to a focus on and devotion to God. While individuals with anorexia or bulimia can certainly benefit from this program, they should remain under the care of their physicians.

I can't believe the audacity of Gwen and RF. This is a response for FJ, plain and simple. Until quite recently when FJ began picking them apart, Gwen's devotionals had a vastly different tone. There are countless references to disordered eating advice. This "church" is an anorexic haven. They sell god sanctioned starvation and make it look classy. No matter she says, there's nothing Gwen can say that will cover her and her daughter's emaciated bodies. There are no words for a person that would pat their child on the back while they actively starve themselves.

As to the highlighted portion, how can you be obedient to hunger and fullness if your body no longer feels these sensations? This is a quote from Eating Disorder Hope:

"Over time, feelings of hunger often dissipate entirely. Many people struggling with anorexia nervosa no longer feel hunger or fullness since they are so disconnected from their bodies and their physical needs..."

Edited by SuperNova
  • Upvote 9
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

58 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

"Over time, feelings of hunger often dissipate entirely. Many people struggling with anorexia nervosa no longer feel hunger or fullness since they are so disconnected from their bodies and their physical needs..."

YES, this is what continues to confuse me! As others mentioned, she appears to be doing damage control, but IMO she is digging the hole deeper. How can she say an Anorexic would gain to a proper body weight while simultaneously looking in the mirror or at her daughter?! I am almost certain she has body dysmorphia...

Also, to anyone at RF with AN or BN: REFEEDING SYNDROME IS DEADLY, one of my best friends wound up in the ICU because of it. Please, please consult medical professionals (as in, an MD) before trying to recover on your own. Gwen may say "[you] should remain under the care of [your] physicians", but her advice is not inline with any research on Anorexia or Bulimia. Additionally, you are not immune if you are a bulimic near, at, or above your ideal body weight. Purging can cause malnutrition, regardless of weight.

Edited by J.O.Y.nomore
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

On 4/12/2019 at 5:44 PM, throwaway9988 said:

Does she really say to lick chips? ? Pretty soon she will turn into those new-age lying wackos who claimed to eat nothing but air and sunlight for three months

Today I found a list of the top 15 dumbest cults, and the author included both Remnant AND the Breatharians.  

Personally, I would have ranked Remnant a lot higher than 11th.

Edited by throwaway9988
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

49 minutes ago, throwaway9988 said:

Today I found a list of the top 15 dumbest cults and it has both Remnant AND the Breatharians on it.  

Personally, I would have ranked Remnant a lot higher than 11th.

At least it is mentioned! I'd never heard of Remnant Fellowship before reading about it here.

Edited by J.O.Y.nomore
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, SuperNova said:

Until quite recently when FJ began picking them apart, Gwen's devotionals had a vastly different tone.

Yes. she has changed significantly. Her devotional about exercise had a beginning paragraph that was basically a disclaimer saying that exercise has benefits. 

. There is no substitute for exercise when it comes to muscle toning, cardiovascular conditioning, and bone strengthening. It can also help with digestion and with healthy functioning of your organs. 

But then she moves on to her real advice which is this.

Exercise could even work against you in terms of weight loss.

The only exercises we insist on are getting down on your knees to pray and getting the muscle of your will to surrender the extra food you have been eating.

Her next devotional on exercise is a warning on how awful it is for you and how it won't help you lose weight. 

Exercise will not increase the speed of your weight loss, because, when using hunger and fullness, the body already knows how much energy you spent and it will ask for more food. Notice in exercise, your body needs more oxygen, so immediately and automatically, you breathe harder. Exercise will also make you thirstier; the body requires more water to satisfy its needs, so you will automatically drink more water until those needs are met. Likewise, even though hunger is deferred temporarily, within 24 hours, your body’s hunger increases automatically to cover the body’s extra caloric needs. So if you want to exercise, fine, but exercise will not help you to lose weight faster. It will allow you to eat more food, just as it allows you to drink more water. The goal of WeighDown is to become accustomed to the decreased volumes of food. If you are less active because of an inability to exercise, your hunger will decrease to meet your fuel needs. You never have to fear missing an aerobics class or workout again. If you do choose to exercise, use this time to listen to your WeighDown audios. Also remember, be moderate in everything, including exercise, and know that some of the best aerobics are cleaning the house and doing yard work. Scrubbing, vacuuming, pulling weeds, and organizing closets benefits the whole family and still benefits you.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 5

know that some of the best aerobics are cleaning the house and doing yard work. Scrubbing, vacuuming, pulling weeds, and organizing closets benefits the whole family and still benefits you

It's good to learn what Joe is up to when Gwen is off shopping with God.

I don't know where the Billy Madison thread title came from, but it's just perfect after reading about the dumbest cults!  ?

• Haha 3

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic