IGNORED

The Botkinettes Take Umbrage!

Columbia

On 2/28/2019 at 12:18 PM, Howl said:

Well, I’m a Christian.

Interesting . . . I'm not having luck finding a direct link yet, but starting a sentence with 'well' is a sensitivity indicator in statement analysis. It often indicates that the person is stalling for time, isn't fully committed to the statement, or isn't being truthful. "I'm a Christian" would be a much stronger statement. 

4 hours ago, katilac said:

Interesting . . . I'm not having luck finding a direct link yet, but starting a sentence with 'well' is a sensitivity indicator in statement analysis. It often indicates that the person is stalling for time, isn't fully committed to the statement, or isn't being truthful. "I'm a Christian" would be a much stronger statement. 

Hahaha! This struck me funny because my memory of Ronald Reagan’s soundbites (in answer to a reporter’s question) invariably involves “Well...” and a pause. Reagan imitators do it, too.

• Haha 2

Here's a link to one part of the  Pennington case. 

It looks as though James Pennington lost this round, but IIRC, he ultimately prevailed with the IRS.  But it does seem like the Penningtons are using their Anchor Group is a religious organization as a tax shelter.  Some of y'all may recall that James Pennington has some sovereign citizen leaning.

JAMES C. PENNINGTON, as a director of THE ANCHOR GROUP, Plaintiff, VS. UNITED STATES; INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE Defendant.

Excerpts: 

• Pennington moves to quash the summons in his capacity as a director of The Anchor Group, which Pennington asserts is a church within the meaning of IRC § 7611(h)(1)(A).
  • Pennington asserts that, from January 1, 2006 through January 31, 2009, he had signature 2 authority over an account with Union State Bank that “is the community treasury of The Anchor Group, a religious organization.” Pennington asserts that The Anchor Group’s membership and financial records are protected by the Church Audit Protection Act as codified in IRC § 7611

• Thank You 8

13 hours ago, katilac said:

Wait. Are you criticising Howl or someone she was quoting? **confused**

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

14 hours ago, katilac said:

But doesn't that really only make sense in spoken conversation anyway?

I'd assume there are multiple possible interpretations to a phrasing choice such as that, and one based on "stalling for time" just doesn't seem to apply to a written interview (which I'm admittedly assuming this was, having only glanced at @Howl's quote).

I may be a bit personally biased here, because a friend of mind insists that when someone says "to be honest", it's a sign they are not being honest.  I use that phrase a lot, to add other nuances to my communication (while still being honest), so any insistence on adhering to bullet-point explanations without validating their actual applicability is rather a pet peeve.  Sorry for the diatribe.

• Upvote 11

21 hours ago, katilac said:
  On 2/28/2019 at 12:18 PM, Howl said:

Well, I’m a Christian.

Well, I skew Buddist, so I'm a bit confused.  All's well, though, since it's an interesting topic. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

Regarding the use of the word "well":  Maybe it's because the person has a TBI and words/speech/memory are affected.  I often say "well" with a pause because it can take me a moment to get the word I want to say.  I also say "thing" when I can't remember the word I want.

• Upvote 8

Saying well can also just be a habit. Now that it has been brought up I realize that I have a tendency towards starting sentences that way. 

• Upvote 11

On 3/9/2019 at 12:54 AM, Petronella said:

Wait. Are you criticising Howl or someone she was quoting? **confused**

It wasn't criticism of anyone, just a comment on the quote. 

On 3/9/2019 at 6:01 PM, Briefly said:

Regarding the use of the word "well":  Maybe it's because the person has a TBI and words/speech/memory are affected.  I often say "well" with a pause because it can take me a moment to get the word I want to say.  I also say "thing" when I can't remember the word I want.

Absolutely. It's just an indicator, something to pay attention to, not something to make complete assumptions from. 

On 3/9/2019 at 1:36 AM, church_of_dog said:

But doesn't that really only make sense in spoken conversation anyway?

I'd assume there are multiple possible interpretations to a phrasing choice such as that, and one based on "stalling for time" just doesn't seem to apply to a written interview .

Yes, there are multiple possible interpretations, I noted that in my post. I agree that stalling for time is much less likely in a written interview, that actually makes it more interesting to me that he would use it (because it narrows down the reasons why).   

As far as "to be honest" goes, it is another sensitivity indicator. Your friend would be more accurate to say that it can be a sign that someone is being dishonest or has been dishonest before that statement. Indicators simply say hey, pay more attention to this sentence. If someone has an extremely strong habit of using certain phrases, it means less in the context of a specific statement. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, katilac said:

It wasn't criticism of anyone, just a comment on the quote. 

It seems like criticism to nitpick someone’s language and conclude that what they stated shouldn’t be accepted at face value, but okay.

The point of my question was whether the thing you were nitpicking had been said by Howl or by a Botkin or someone else entirely, which you didn’t bother to answer. That’s still unclear to me. I went back a page and couldn’t find what you were quoting. Can you clarify?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

12 hours ago, katilac said:

I agree that stalling for time is much less likely in a written interview, that actually makes it more interesting to me that he would use it (because it narrows down the reasons why).   

Why exactly is it more interesting?  It seems weird to read so much into it. And I'm not sure it was a written interview. It just said interview, so he could have been speaking these answers. Lucas concludes by saying "thanks for having me on." which makes it seem like it could have been a podcast or something like that. 

10 hours ago, Petronella said:

by a Botkin or someone else entirely, which you didn’t bother to answer.

I'm pretty sure Howl quoted Lucas Botkin. He did an interview where he starts off as "Well, I'm a Christian" when asked to tell a bit about himself. Reading the whole thing it really doesn't seem like using "well" is an indication of anything at all. He is very smug but I would not take this as any indication that he might not be fully invested in saying he is a Christian. 

Well, I’m a Christian. Twenty-three years old. Was homeschooled. Educated by awesome parents. Didn’t go to college. And I have no military or law enforcement background. I’ve always been passionate about protecting others and growing up I wasn’t sure how I would do that. Now that I’m running T.REX ARMS and producing a good amount of educational material, I believe I am able to help equip people to be more effective protectors themselves. And that is why I work as hard as I do. I know what I’m doing is having an impact and making America a safer country.

• Thank You 4

5 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Why exactly is it more interesting?  It seems weird to read so much into it. And I'm not sure it was a written interview. It just said interview, so he could have been speaking these answers. Lucas concludes by saying "thanks for having me on." which makes it seem like it could have been a podcast or something like that. 

I'm pretty sure Howl quoted Lucas Botkin. He did an interview where he starts off as "Well, I'm a Christian" when asked to tell a bit about himself. Reading the whole thing it really doesn't seem like using "well" is an indication of anything at all. He is very smug but I would not take this as any indication that he might not be fully invested in saying he is a Christian. 

I would find using "well" more interesting in a written interview because it's usually a filler word in verbal conversation, used to give yourself a bit of time to answer or out of habit. I'm not sure it was a written interview, either, someone else posted that they thought it might be. As for reading so much into it, my original post was only three sentences, lol. I've just been responding.  

I do think it's interesting wording. Nobody else has to ?

I wish the Botkins would say or do something so we could have a more interesting discussion than Lucas saying 'well'.

Except that the Botkins saying or doing something would mean they are influencing other people and we don't really want that.  Ah, the dilemma of FJ :(

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Botkin association with Hungary is looking less and less surprising....

Trump Officials Attend Hungarian Conference to Promote Women Having More Babies

Mar 25, 2019, 4:54pm Katelyn Burns

The Hungarian "conference demonstrates the insidious connections between authoritarian governments, far-right nationalists, and anti-choice movements who conspire to strip women and gender diverse people of their rights."

https://rewire.news/article/2019/03/25/trump-officials-attend-hungarian-conference-to-promote-women-having-more-babies/

“The critique is — in effect and by design — it does not encourage women to rejoin the labor force, but keeps them home and pregnant in more of a traditionalist sense through financial incentives,”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2019/03/21/white-house-officials-attend-hungarian-embassy-event-urging-women-have-more-children/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.8cc7c53d7532

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 6

The Botkin letter really blows my mind in that they seem to think that “emotional incest” has to do with sex. They complain that they’ve been accused of “incest” and “sexual perversion”! But they have not! I really think their indignation is based on ignorance of what emotional incest is.

Have I missed something? Are there people who have accused them of actual, literal incest or anthing sexual? I’ve never seen it. If I’m wrong, please correct me.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

There are certainly powerful forces in Hungary attempting to outlaw abortion and to restrict women from seeking voluntary sterilization.  They are taking lessons from the US' incremental approach of slowly strangling access to abortions.  This article has a summary about where things stood in 2017, including generous funding for obstetrical services for two hospitals that agreed to not provide abortions. 

THE HUNGARIAN GOVERNMENT CHIPS AWAY AT THE ABORTION LAW

However, the majority of people in Hungary think abortion should be allowed. 

Geoff's unbearably pretentious shallow intellectualism is the hallmark of the  Western Conservatory of the Arts and Sciences, which would be more accurately called The Botinketti White Nationalist Collective.  

This noxious screed, Yearning to Breathe Free, is the duck biologist's homage to Stephen Miller's draconian immigration policies. 

• Upvote 7

On 3/30/2019 at 8:47 AM, Howl said:

This noxious screed, Yearning to Breathe Free, is the duck biologist's homage to Stephen Miller's draconian immigration policies. 

Jesus, Mary and Holy St. Joseph, is that man full of himself.

"National Security Requires Continual Vetting of Character"

Yeah.  Like keeping a serial sexual assaulter, perpetrator of fraud and tax evader out of the White House. ?

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2019 at 9:47 AM, Howl said:

There are certainly powerful forces in Hungary attempting to outlaw abortion and to restrict women from seeking voluntary sterilization.  They are taking lessons from the US' incremental approach of slowly strangling access to abortions.  This article has a summary about where things stood in 2017, including generous funding for obstetrical services for two hospitals that agreed to not provide abortions. 

THE HUNGARIAN GOVERNMENT CHIPS AWAY AT THE ABORTION LAW

However, the majority of people in Hungary think abortion should be allowed. 

Geoff's unbearably pretentious shallow intellectualism is the hallmark of the  Western Conservatory of the Arts and Sciences, which would be more accurately called The Botinketti White Nationalist Collective.  

These efforts in Hungary remind me of what happened in Romania in the 60s through 80s....what happens when these efforts are taken to their ultimate conclusion.   Women were actually examined for potential pregnancy in their work places.  
On a completely different topic, this has nothing to do with the Botkins' business right? https://t-rexsmallarms.com/about-us/ .  I found that site because I was googling the gun that Harley Quinn used in Suicide Squad. haha

• Upvote 1

Well that's most interesting.  Someone else got into the word play on T Rex's wee arms. 

From a Lucas Botkin interview: 

Lucas Botkin:  We started out as a holster company...but the importance of carbines cannot be overstated...ultimately, carbines are what you would want for home defense in a best case scenario, or during civil unrest…so I prioritize carbines over pistols a lot.

Da fuq? I'm not sure what a best case home-defense scenario would be.  And civil unrest...jeez, Lucas. 

Edited by Howl
  • WTF 1