IGNORED

Maxwell 29: You Can Leave Your Vest On, Second Verse Same as the First

Coconut Flan

I look identical to my maternal great-grandmother. My mom found a bunch of pictures of her from when she was young, and when she showed them to the rest of the family, they all thought they were of me. It's really uncanny. 

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the genetics discussion. I teach two fraternal twin boys who look *nothing* like each other—they don’t even look related. But they both look exactly like their older sister. 

2 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

No. She was joking.

Ok, I thought that was going too far; that IS part of the calendar. And I was about to look all over the blog to see what he said about Leap Day. Thanks for clarifying.

11 minutes ago, lauraloralara said:

I love the genetics discussion. I teach two fraternal twin boys who look *nothing* like each other—they don’t even look related. But they both look exactly like their older sister. 

I love this! When I went to get my bridal bouquet, I took along my closest sister as an advisor. The florist was a little loony and refused to believe we were related, much less sisters. One of us is white-blonde, the other, dark. I was enjoying the florist’s foolery and I brought out my wallet where I kept a photo of Sister JB and our nearest brother. 

. “Does she favor him?” I demanded ofctge florist. The florist agreed entirely. 

“Does he favor me?” I continued.  The florist absolutely had to concur. 

“So if she looks like him and he looks like me, then she and I are sisters, right?” I said. The florist practically shouted out loud that indeed, this was my sister!

That’s one of the very few good stories from that wedding and marriage, and by golly, it still makes me smile.

15 minutes ago, lauraloralara said:

My mother’s best friend has twin grandsons. They look nothing alike. However, one looks like their mother & the other one looks like their father. 

I met my sister's new-ish boyfriend for the first time last night. He was kind of discombobulated at how alike sister and I are. Not in looks, but in mannerisms, speech patterns, behaviors, facial expressions, etc. 

It was kind of interesting to hear him say that after going through this thread yesterday.

There’s a pic of my BIL’s grandmother, circa 1900. It looks like him in drag.

OMG, you guys! Teri’s message today was actually something normal and pleasant—happy memories of childhood time spent with grandmas, with stories, home-baked treats, and sleepovers. There was even a picture of a nice note she wrote to teenaged Sarah, thanking her for cooking dinner. No grim Jesusy guilt-scheduling involved!

31 minutes ago, Hane said:

OMG, you guys! Teri’s message today was actually something normal and pleasant—happy memories of childhood time spent with grandmas, with stories, home-baked treats, and sleepovers. There was even a picture of a nice note she wrote to teenaged Sarah, thanking her for cooking dinner. No grim Jesusy guilt-scheduling involved!

And no mention of Jesus/God except in the closing line! Not even in her note to Sarah!

That note speaks volumes of the responsibilities Poor Sarah had growing up.  Cooking dinner for a family of 10 and helping with the reversals, wish we could read the back page.  Pampie and Meme must be Grandad's parents as Pampie looks just like him.

No snark from me on the latest post. It's lovely, and her note to Sarah is heartfelt and kind. And better yet, it is dripping with genuine appreciation. She could have written "Your dinner tonight was delicious and very helpful to me. Jesus jesus jesus..." But she didn't. It's very sweet.

I do feel for the girls in a huge family--whether Quiverfull or not. In nearly any culture a large family dumps the extra work on the girls of the family. Jana Duggar and Sarah Maxwell gave the proverbial "Best Years of Their Lives" to the care and nurturing of their parents younger children. That they seem to have done so with genuine love is truly remarkable. Growing up around one or two big families that isn't always the case.

I agree that the note was just nice.

On 2/24/2019 at 11:11 AM, fundiefan said:

I met my sister's new-ish boyfriend for the first time last night. He was kind of discombobulated at how alike sister and I are. Not in looks, but in mannerisms, speech patterns, behaviors, facial expressions, etc. 

It was kind of interesting to hear him say that after going through this thread yesterday.

People say the same thing about the way my sister and I walk and talk. My good friend and her sister look nothing alike. Their parents are opposites. And each kid looks like one parent. But they have similar voices that are incredibly distinct. No one would ever guess they are sisters by looking at them. But when they talk, everyone knows they are sisters. 

On 2/24/2019 at 1:53 PM, Hane said:

There’s a pic of my BIL’s grandmother, circa 1900. It looks like him in drag.

Are you sure it isn't actually him in drag?!

7 hours ago, NeckPunch said:

No snark from me on the latest post. It's lovely, and her note to Sarah is heartfelt and kind. And better yet, it is dripping with genuine appreciation. She could have written "Your dinner tonight was delicious and very helpful to me. Jesus jesus jesus..." But she didn't. It's very sweet.

Wow!  Why couldn't she have written something more like that for Sarah's recent birthday post, instead?!

3 minutes ago, Elegant Mess said:

Wow!  Why couldn't she have written something more like that for Sarah's recent birthday post, instead?!

I always think they use Steve approved Mad Libs for all of their posts.

14 hours ago, NeckPunch said:

Ooh, a snark time opening?? Pick me, pick me!

i finally just got around to looking at the post  (I think I’m going to need another break from the Maxsadness soon).  Yes, Teri thanks Poor Little Sarah, and then acknowledges that she knows PS enjoyed the work, but immediately points out to PS that this was also An Investment, something important and meaningful and eternal and having nothing to do with f-n!!!

...Granted, Griselda had bought into the dour, Über-seriousness of Stevovah’s way of life, and “investing time” is one of their pillars, so emphasizing it was loving, in its way.

But yes, a similar note of praise, especially one intended for unlimited dissemination on the Internet, would have been so much more loving, recently. 

Another contrarian opinion: Young Griselda’s circle-dots over her i’s annoy me. Anybody inclined to analyze her handwriting? Or is that only done with cursive script? 

A week of Maxwell dinners!! Apparently they now have their bigger meal at lunch. Anna also discovered that cooking pasta separately from soup means that it doesn’t get mushy.

What a boring post...

29 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

A week of Maxwell dinners!! Apparently they now have their bigger meal at lunch. Anna also discovered that cooking pasta separately from soup means that it doesn’t get mushy.

What a boring post...

I really thought you were being sarcastic about the pasta. But no.

2 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I really thought you were being sarcastic about the pasta. But no.

Anna discovered?  Anna discovered? I guess Teri is using the word “discover” as it is used in the phrase “Columbus discovered America”. I just stayed for a few days with 15 year old twin boys while their parents were out of town. When packing their own lunches, one used a thermos for homemade chicken noodle soup. He knew to put the soup in first then pile the noodles on top without stirring them in, because, as he explained to me, “Otherwise they get mushy by lunch time”. 

Yes they do. Thank God Anna discovered that for all of us!

I’m always (negatively) amazed by the Maxwells. Their blog seems to imply that they have the whole homemaking thing down to a science. But then I see rooms full of clutter and feet covered in socks that are quite nasty on the bottom from dirty floors and now this list of sleep-inducingly boring dinner menus.  Remind me again...how many adults live in this house? What do they do all day?

Is it me, or do they eat a shit ton of ham?  In one week, they ate ham four times.  They are always blathering on about working out and watching their diet, but then they eat ham four times a week?  What about chicken or pork tenderloin?  I get that they made a ham and then wanted to eat all of the leftovers, but how does one ham last four meals for six adults?  If that one ham made all of those meals, it was either the biggest ham ever or they ate super small portions.  Their meals make me sad.  I wonder what they think when they eat Chelsy's food?    

I suppose Teri never put it on the schedule to schedule a time to plan on writing about her recipes. Bummer, because i’d like to know what the hell “ground beef skillet” is. I imagine they start with frying up some hamburger, but then what?  Add a slice of onion?  Dump it on a plate and eat it plain?  Is ketchup too decadent?  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived