IGNORED

Maxwell 29: You Can Leave Your Vest On, Second Verse Same as the First

Coconut Flan

13 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Weird. Who the hell knows with these people....

Maybe Steve hasn't gotten around to writing his diatribe against leap day, which he banned years ago, and explains why his family uses it's own more GODLY calendar?

Although Steve does seem to have a functioning brain cell or two, and is the least likely of all the fundies to be super anti-science. Too bad those brain cells haven't recognized that using his own mental hangups to stunt his children is a bad thing.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Maybe Steve hasn't gotten around to writing his diatribe against leap day, which he banned years ago, and explains why his family uses it's own more GODLY calendar?

Wait. Steve seriously banned leap day? I just laughed out loud in my office, that is so absurd.

20 hours ago, kpmom said:

When I look at Melanie and Nathan's kids it's weird, but none of them really look like siblings to me.  Well, Abbey and Andrew look somewhat alike, but that's about it. 

Funny because the older four look similar to me. Maybe it's the face shape. They remind me of Melanie's family.

5 hours ago, usedbicycle said:

I think the lines on that calendar start on Tuesday, from the blurry day names underneath. So perhaps they take Mondays off homeschooling. I know a lot of pastor's families do that because they spend like 8 hours in church on Sunday. I don't know where the Nathans go to church, perhaps a traditional Baptist with a morning and evening service (and a pasty burrito meal at Steve's in between). Hardly a restful day.

The rest of the calendar is cropped but my guess is that they homeschool Tuesday-Friday. 

Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 9.24.41 AM.png

I don't think so.  It is this calendar here.  In fact, the only month last year with the 28th on a Tuesday was August.  My guess is that maybe Mel just doesn't give a F about the calendar anymore?  The boys are wearing their xmas t shirts so the pics aren't from August.

ler2418.jpg?width=700&height=700&canvas=

My husband and I do not look alike at all.  He is mexican and I am german/czech.  Our 3 kids all look alike.  In fact, our 20 month old baby girl is a spitting image of our 14 year old boy when he was this age.  Our 10 year old girl looks like the other 2 but the resemblance between the oldest and youngest is amazing.  When people see us all out they say that the baby looks like our 10 year old but I think that is because our 14 year old looks like an older teenage boy so his features have changed.  There is no question that 3 are siblings!  Meanwhile, their 2 cousins from our brother in law look absolutely nothing alike.  One looks more like his mom and the other looks more like his dad.  There is nothing similar at all between them. 

I’m procreastinating a particularly odious task and so visited the Maxblog.

This part amuses me no end:

“We’ve also found hiking shoes have more traction than normal running shoes, so if it’s slightly icy, but not enough to call for YakTraxs, those are a great option.”

Were Big Mama JB still around, she’d shake her head and say, “God looks out for drunks and little children” and I would add, “—and Maxwells.”

If there’s ANY ice and I just HAD to go for a run, I’d have the cleats on for sure. IME there’s no such thing as “slightly icy.”  You can fall on a centimeter if ice as easily as on an inch.  And there’s no guarantee you won’t step on an isolated patch in a “slightly icy” scenario. 

For the first time in my years of observing them.  Stevo and Terified show common sense.   I’m not waiting for the second time. ;)

2 hours ago, Cat Damon said:

Wait. Steve seriously banned leap day? I just laughed out loud in my office, that is so absurd.

No, not that I'm aware of. 

It would NOT surprise me, though. Leap day isn't in the Bible, is it? It seems the sort of thing a truly crazy fringe fundie might decide was "evil satanic science" like evolution or something.

I wonder how they handle leap day with their schedule? I've always thought it should be a holiday - it comes only once every 4 years, and is right about the time the burnout from two straight months with no holidays hits after having so many days off close together at the end of the year. They probably use it as an excuse to do some really extra cleaning or something.

2 hours ago, Cat Damon said:

I've never heard that, but nothing surprises me with them.  He may not like it, but we know that they have to keep a traditional calendar because of their old touring conference schedule.  I guess they could just have two March 1sts or two February 28ths in a row, but I don't see how that's any better than having a February 29th.  

My parents each have a brother and two sisters. None of them look alike. I always attributed it to my grandparents all looking very different. My sister and I look alike though. My children don’t look alike at all. Which isn’t surprising since my husband and I look very different. Most of our facial features are opposite one another. 

23 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

I wonder how they handle leap day with their schedule?

Cry and pray for the souls of the unsaved? I like to believe that is their response to anything they are unsure about.

On 2/20/2019 at 10:29 PM, Coconut Flan said:

It's a play on The Full Monty.

Then there is that red dress

3 hours ago, Alisamer said:

Although Steve does seem to have a functioning brain cell or two, and is the least likely of all the fundies to be super anti-science. Too bad those brain cells haven't recognized that using his own mental hangups to stunt his children is a bad thing.

Seriously Steve?  What is his issue with leap day and how exactly does he ban it?  Is that like my saying, oh I really don't like December I think I'm going to ban it from my household.  I'll just put my family into suspended animation for 31 days

I think Abby and Benjamin look alike, and they both take after Melanie. Christina and Andrew look the most individual to me. In NRA-Anna's family, Joshua and Daniel are the spitting image of each other.

4 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

What is his issue with leap day and how exactly does he ban it?

I'd guess it messes with his schedule and record-keeping.  February with a leap day can't, without extra time and effort, be compared to February without a leap day.  Food, money, bible progress, toothpaste usage...

I want to know how they taught the kid to compensate for the missing kid and fill in her spot with sibling playtime! No kid in the history of ever has been able to just play with other kids without a plan. It's unheard of! No kid melting down because the sister he/she usually gets to play with for a scheduled 15 minute time slot is not available? How does that happen in magical Maxhell? The world needs to know!

5 hours ago, fundiefan said:

I want to know how they taught the kid to compensate for the missing kid and fill in her spot with sibling playtime! No kid in the history of ever has been able to just play with other kids without a plan. It's unheard of! No kid melting down because the sister he/she usually gets to play with for a scheduled 15 minute time slot is not available? How does that happen in magical Maxhell? The world needs to know!

One time my friend in elementary school I always played with on the playground was out sick, so I just spent recess staring into middle distance because I did not have godly guidance from Teri Maxwell on how to compensate for someone I usually play with not being around during my allotted playtime. 

I have four kids.  Three of them look very similar, and one markedly different (the redhead, though that's not the only difference factor).  It's funny - people who knew me as a teen think she favors me, but to me she is the spitting image of her Dad.  But also, in her baby pics, she is a carbon copy of *my mom* at the same age.  And her body is exactly like my MIL's when she was young, tall and slender.

My younger son looks so much like my dad when he was young it creeps me out a bit, LOL.  I have pics of both of them at about age 9 and if you put them side by side you can barely tell them apart.

Genetics are weird and fun. ;) 

Yes genetics are weird. I look like my first cousin. He looks like his other first cousin. But if someone sees the 3 of us together someone might think all 3 of us are related. But I’m not related in any way to his other first cousin. 

I see the Maxwells do buy quality - pay the price up front and not have to keep replacing over and over because stuff wears out.  I also have the yaktraks and I highly recommend them.  There is no way I could walk my dog in slippery conditions without them.

I was looking back into some of the old threads - and ran across Teri's message to Sarah for her birthday.  Talk about a punch to the gut.  That was a cold, bitchy thing to say - way to go Teri - rub it into your daughter's face, "You'll never find a man and you'll never have children!  Boo hoo! Sucks to be you!"

53 minutes ago, Bajovane said:

I was looking back into some of the old threads - and ran across Teri's message to Sarah for her birthday.  Talk about a punch to the gut.  That was a cold, bitchy thing to say - way to go Teri - rub it into your daughter's face, "You'll never find a man and you'll never have children!  Boo hoo! Sucks to be you!"

Griselda Teri is the biggest piece of shit to ever fall out of an asshole.

2 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

I have four kids.  Three of them look very similar, and one markedly different (the redhead, though that's not the only difference factor).  It's funny - people who knew me as a teen think she favors me, but to me she is the spitting image of her Dad.  But also, in her baby pics, she is a carbon copy of *my mom* at the same age.  And her body is exactly like my MIL's when she was young, tall and slender.

My younger son looks so much like my dad when he was young it creeps me out a bit, LOL.  I have pics of both of them at about age 9 and if you put them side by side you can barely tell them apart.

Genetics are weird and fun. ;) 

They are! I look exactly like my mom. But, I also look exactly like my uncle - and they do not look very much alike, although they both strongly favor my grandmother. That uncle's youngest son and another uncle's youngest daughter and I could be siblings. Triplets. If you put me in a room with my mom, you'd know I'm hers. But if you put me next to her and my uncle, you'd bet your life I'm his. 

My sister looks like my dad. There is very little about her features that resemble my mom's side of the family. But, people always know we're sisters and often comment how much we resemble each other and they could "totally tell". 

My sister must have gotten just enough of my mom's genetics for a resemblence somewhere because I didn't get a damn thing from my father. My sister looks like his other kids - and their kids all look similar too - all from my dad. Me? Not a drop. 

According to both Ancestry and 23andme, my sister and I have matching genetic makeup, as siblings do. Those genetics just present themselves very differently. 

Husband is the middle child, one brother on either side. If you see his two brothers together, people don't see any resemblance, but if you stick my husband in the middle, suddenly it all makes sense.  My brother and I look absolutely nothing alike. Like not a single shared feature. He favours our dad's paternal side, with our mum's hair, I take after our mum's paternal side, wth a hint of our dad's features thrown in.  Genetics are fascinating!

Genetics are fascinating. I have three brothers and I’m the oldest, I look exactly like my mother, my oldest brother looks exactly like my father, and the other two are just genetic mixes of everyone else, one looks like my grandmother and is built like my grandfather and the youngest is just a mix of everyone. I’ve noticed in most families the first two kids are generally going to favor one parent each and after that it’s interesting to see the genetics in them from the family. 

23 minutes ago, Coconutwater said:

Genetics are fascinating. I have three brothers and I’m the oldest, I look exactly like my mother, my oldest brother looks exactly like my father, and the other two are just genetic mixes of everyone else, one looks like my grandmother and is built like my grandfather and the youngest is just a mix of everyone. I’ve noticed in most families the first two kids are generally going to favor one parent each and after that it’s interesting to see the genetics in them from the family. 

Huh. We have three children (boy, boy, girl). Older son looks exactly like my husband; the only visible contribution from me is a slight curl to his hair. Younger son is a mix. Daughter looks exactly like me except for somewhat lighter hair--she held onto the blonde a lot longer than I did--and blue eyes instead of brown. Everyone, I mean everyone, remarks on our resemblance, which irritates my daughter--what 17-year-old wants to be told she looks like her 57-year-old mother?

16 hours ago, fundiefan said:

This is just one of the down sides of the rigidity with which the Maxwells are raised. I never was educated to be a teacher (miscellaneous business and science degrees) but, in my retirement, I have loved working as a sub at an early learning center where there are two teachers to a room. I’ll never forget the first time I saw a teacher actively teaching critical thinking skills. They were using longer sticks and shorter sticks to designate which day of the school year it was (the longer ones representing 10 days and the shorter 1 day) and there weren’t enough longer ones to go around. The horror!

I was so reminded of the Maxwells’ take on Nathan’s rehearsal dinner when the group’s drinks order they had placed went by the wayside and they truly almost lost their shit. Instead, in the classroom that morning, the lead teacher said, “Let’s brainstorm. How else can we designate 10 days?” And these kids came up with some great ideas beyond just using 10 shorter sticks. My favorite was to break a 100 day length stick to make it shorter, which was praised before reminding the child that they might need that later. 

In Maxhell, the Bible would have had to be consulted...no, wait. First they’d have to find time in their busy calendar to deal with the issue, then great gnashing of teeth would occur, prayer would ensue and a blog post would have to be written, only after having been promised a year earlier. 

On 2/22/2019 at 12:55 PM, Cat Damon said:

No. She was joking.

I’ve been doing family genealogy and looking up obituaries is a great resource and they often have pictures with the obits. A few weeks ago I pulled up an obit of a very distantly related cousin (who I never met) and about spilled my coffee on my laptop when the picture of this man looked exactly like my uncle. Absolutely the spitting image. Genetics are fascinating. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived