IGNORED

Maxwell 29: You Can Leave Your Vest On, Second Verse Same as the First

Coconut Flan

4 minutes ago, catlady said:

I suppose Teri never put it on the schedule to schedule a time to plan on writing about her recipes. Bummer, because i’d like to know what the hell “ground beef skillet” is. I imagine they start with frying up some hamburger, but then what?  Add a slice of onion?  Dump it on a plate and eat it plain?  Is ketchup too decadent?  

Thats sounds like some sort of Hamburger Helper concoction.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Thats sounds like some sort of Hamburger Helper concoction.

That makes sense!  I haven’t had HH in over two years because our family has to restrict carbs, so I kind of forgot it exists. I also don’t do Rice-a-roni anymore, which I do miss because I always liked it. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, catlady said:

That makes sense!  I haven’t had HH in over two years because our family has to restrict carbs, so I kind of forgot it exists. I also don’t do Rice-a-roni anymore, which I do miss because I always liked it. 

Oh lord, I haven't have Rice-a-roni in years, I love it too!  I feel like Hamburger Helper was one of the commercials I grew up with , although with commercials about the (apparently now-solved) ring around the collar crisis.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 7

8 minutes ago, Syriana said:

What on earth is rice-a-roni?

Deliciously salty rice dish you can make in the microwave. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, Syriana said:

What on earth is rice-a-roni?

RiceARoni, the San Francisco treat!

I grew up eating it and admit I still make it! My kiddo loves it.  It is a boxed rice and pasta combo (vermicelli I thinks) with flavoring.  You sauté the rice and past mix in butter in a skillet, then add a couple cups of water and the seasoning packet (flavors like Chicken, Beef, Spanish style, Mexican, Four Cheese), bring to a boil then simmer for 15-20 min.  Delish.   But so loaded with sodium :(

Edited by fundiefollower
spelling error
  • Upvote 10
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

36 minutes ago, fundiefollower said:

RiceARoni, the San Francisco treat!

I grew up eating it and admit I still make it! My kiddo loves it.  It is a boxed rice and pasta combo (vermicelli I thinks) with flavoring.  You sauté the rice and past mix in butter in a skillet, then add a couple cups of water and the seasoning packet (flavors like Chicken, Beef, Spanish style, Mexican, Four Cheese), bring to a boil then simmer for 15-20 min.  Delish.   But so loaded with sodium :(

Oh my god.....

I feel like the biggest moron in the world. I never noticed the tiny bits of pasta. I thought it was all just mixed rice! But now it all makes sense! The -Roni part is like macaroni! I’m 36 years old and heard that damn commercial constantly as a kid but never put it together. Mind blown. It’s like when I realized it’s BerenSTAIN Bears, not BerenSTEIN Bears. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 3

15 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Mind blown. It’s like when I realized it’s BerenSTAIN Bears, not BerenSTEIN Bears. 

same here on the Bears.  as a kid, i thought they were the Bear-en-stein Bears, and i never noticed the stain vs stein until a few years ago, and i'm 12 years older than you are!!

• Upvote 5

@Syriana,  I see that @JermajestyDuggar and @fundiefollower have already answered this, but I'll add that it's basically rice pilaf with 1)some of the work already done for you and 2) the addition of broken up vermicelli added to the rice.  If you have a pilaf recipe that you already like, you can just add some orzo to get a close proximity to Rice-A-Roni.  I made lots of Rice-A-Roni when the girls were growing up.  The original version was made in a skillet, but now they make Rice-A-Roni for the microwave, too.

• Upvote 3

Has anyone come up with a recipe? Ham and vegetable soup? Ham in a Insta boy with mashed potatoes and GRAVY? Ham gravy? Anyone?

Edited by freethekahlo
  • Upvote 4

Yes! I've been wondering the same. I get ham in the Instapot. But ham and vegetable  soup? Ham gravy?  Ham pot pie? Where are these recipes? These people really like ham. They need a link for ham to Amazon.

Edited by freethekahlo
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

That menu is disgusting.  Left overs 3 times per week?  I thought these women prided themselves on their home economics skills.  The 3 plus Terri should be ashamed.  No wonder the girls are spinsters.....No wonder why John hangs with the Botrangers every chance he gets.  Eating at cote de Maxwell is disgusting.  

If they are trying to be thrifty here are some great ideas:

1. Johnny Marzetti (Midwest Special) w/ Costco Canned Green Beans

2.  Costco Chicken ($4.99) with baked potatoes (no work) and Brussel Sprouts - plenty for left overs for lunch

3.  Costco Fishsticks, Kraft Macaroni & Cheese, & a bagged salad

4.  Pork Tenderloin (cheap) , sweet potatoes, canned green beans 

5. Lasagna (make it homemade or buy it frozen) garlic bread and a lettuce based salad

6.  Take out Pizza

7.  The Maxwell Fartarama: Refried Bean Burritos straight from the freezer plus left over salad from the night before

For dessert all week: Ice Cream Sandwiches or Costco Chocolate Chip Cookies from the Bakery.  This menu should speak to their midwestern taste buds, and thriftiness.  

• Upvote 5
  • Disgust 2
  • Haha 6

I am confused. Are the leftover enchiladas and leftover beef stew coming from the freezer? If these people are so busy, how are they all home for the big lunch? They make it seem like they have to work hard to schedule anything together but yet they can come together for lunch? 

I am guessing no one is allowed to run down to Mcdonalds or Taco Bell for dinner.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

I like the pasta/noodles cooked in the broth because it picks up the flavor.  RiceARoni is a family staple, add leftover chopped up meat and veggies and it's a one dish meal.  Another family favorite , use wild rice and herb RiceARoni, and mix rice and seasoning into a pound of ground beef.  Use it as stuffing for Stuffed Green Peppers.  

• Upvote 8

9 hours ago, freethekahlo said:

Ham gravy? Anyone?

This got me thinking back, and it turns out that the infamous four-day-old casserole used ham gravy.  This was from Feb 2018.  The gravy is a color that I’ve always called baby-shit brown and looks like butterscotch pudding in the photo.  Blergh. 

• Upvote 5

It seems very carb heavy, pasta and bread, Burritos (without meat™) and bread? Can you still see over your tummy Stevie?

Is this meal schedule scheduled each week or was this just an example of their cooks typical schedule menu plan?

Unless I have to defrost something, I just go on what I fancy for dinner that evening, taking into account the amount of red meat, fish, chicken i have had in the past few days.

We had a request to share some of our main-meal menus

Has to be one of us, unless the leg humpers are that obsessed with the schedule....

• Upvote 10

Both my husband and me work and still have time to cook every day. And Maxwells have 5 adults at home and need leftovers and frozen crap and prepare soup in advance? Why can't them.just cook the pasta with the soup 10 minutes before dinner?

They are awful as cooks and their schedules don't make them productive. They don't have a healthy way of life except maybe on their hiking holidays. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

12 hours ago, Tatar-tot said:

This menu should speak to their midwestern taste buds, and thriftiness.  

I'm from the Midwest, and I think Maxwell leftovers might be preferable to Costco fish sticks and Johnny Marzetti. *shudder*

Although I did laugh at your use of "Maxwell Fartarama!"

• Upvote 3
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, Lisafer said:

I'm from the Midwest, and I think Maxwell leftovers might be preferable to Costco fish sticks and Johnny Marzetti. *shudder*

Although I did laugh at your use of "Maxwell Fartarama!"

Is “Satisfying Midwestern Taste Buds” too long for a post-count line?

Rather than defend the fabulous restaurant scene here in the bi-state, I’ll spend my scheduled Maxhell time making this educated guess:

The Maxes are so totally bored with their lives that they smugly figured they’d write the first meals that came to mind.  

Or they borrowed menus from different days in the journal [sic] to include  words that show their thriftiness, like “leftovers.”

And they’re all so sick of writing the same blog posts about nothing that no one bothered to look it over for believability and coherence before hitting “publish.”

What I’m saying is: Even they realize how much of a joke their vaunted lifestyle has become. 

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 7

I've never had Rice-A-Roni, but this thread inspired me to try some.  It's cooking on the stove now.  My daughter and I are going to have it for lunch.  Can I throw some steamed spinach in? Or broccoli? Would that be weird?

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

I've never had Rice-A-Roni, but this thread inspired me to try some.  It's cooking on the stove now.  My daughter and I are going to have it for lunch.  Can I throw some steamed spinach in? Or broccoli? Would that be weird?

I've added in chicken, veggies, and honestly I only do half the seasoning packet. I also put it in soups, (I use a quarter of the seasoning packet). Its quite yummy!

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

23 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh my god.....

I feel like the biggest moron in the world. I never noticed the tiny bits of pasta. I thought it was all just mixed rice! But now it all makes sense! The -Roni part is like macaroni! I’m 36 years old and heard that damn commercial constantly as a kid but never put it together. Mind blown. It’s like when I realized it’s BerenSTAIN Bears, not BerenSTEIN Bears. 

When I was feeling extra ambitious, I'd make my own version of Rice a Roni with orzo pasta and regular rice.  That phase was mercifully short.

11 hours ago, catlady said:

This got me thinking back, and it turns out that the infamous four-day-old casserole used ham gravy.  This was from Feb 2018.  The gravy is a color that I’ve always called baby-shit brown and looks like butterscotch pudding in the photo.  Blergh. 

They need some good ol' red weens.

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 1
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

I think it would taste great with broccoli thrown in.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

Broccoli is good, or diced carrots, frozen peas work well.   I like to put the leftover pork loin or baked chicken in to the rice pilaf box along with the veggies.   The fried rice one is good to add veggies like peas and carrots, diced water chestnuts, diced cooked chicken, then scramble a couple of eggs and add mix it all in after the rice and pasta are partially cooked, then season with soy sauce for a little zing.  Chicken fried rice without all the fuss.  

• Upvote 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic