IGNORED

Maxwell 29: You Can Leave Your Vest On, Second Verse Same as the First

Coconut Flan

I feel so sorry for all the cloistered Maxwell grandchildren but especially for Abigail. She is at an age where interacting with peers is so important for her development, and as far as we know she spends all or nearly all her time with younger siblings and cousins. She's missing out on a hugely important part of growing up, and she will never get these years back.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

I don't get "dad's corner" posts so this is just speculation on my part, but is Steve well? 
He looks more frail in any pictures of him I've seen on the blog and now he never seems to offer his blunt succinct response to any blog comments. He's only with the grandchildren when the whole family (or a large number of them) are together. Additionally he seems to have adopted a rather fatalistic view of health care now that he's joined scameritan. Terry seems to be the one who comments and to go out to see the grandchildren (albeit with helpers).  Maybe he is just saving up his vitriol for a very special "dad's corner".
Great Rufus! Steve and Teri are both 65 plus and Medicare eligible. They don't have to depend on scamaritan. Steve also spent time in the military Vietnam era and is eligible for care from the Vetetans Administration as well.
  • Upvote 14

8 hours ago, VVV said:

I feel so sorry for all the cloistered Maxwell grandchildren but especially for Abigail. She is at an age where interacting with peers is so important for her development, and as far as we know she spends all or nearly all her time with younger siblings and cousins. She's missing out on a hugely important part of growing up, and she will never get these years back.

Abby will be Rebecca Eleventy when she grows up.  Except with no Disney or fanfiction.

• Upvote 4

Abigail will continue to have the same schedule and life experience as her younger siblings until she (hopefully) leaves her parents' home and gets married. 

I have always thought it was quite sad that she is basically a peer to her Maxwell aunts, as are Bethany and Christina. They all have the  same child like routine, bedtime, limited exposure to people outside the compound and expecatations. Her aunts are in their twenties and thirties and they live the same life as their pre-teen niece; and she lives the same life as her early elementary/preschool/toddler age siblings. 

If one were to write a paper on daily life of any of the unmarried Maxwell kids or grandkids, we'd be hardpressed to figure out who the subject was, in my opinion.

Wake up at time appointed by parents. Do chores assigned by parents. Read and study as decided by parents. Serve other family members as decided by parents. Eat meals chosen by parents. Dress in clothing approved by parents. Visit with "outsiders" as approved by parents. Sit at kids table during family gatherings. Go to bed at time appointed by parents. 

All females are treated the same, regardless of age, in Steve's World. 

• Upvote 15
  • Sad 6
  • I Agree 3

12 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

It's a play on The Full Monty.

This is super funny because I was the one who said the phrase in Maxwellcontext, and I only knew the song, not that it was from the Full Monty!   (which I've obviously never seen)  

And in fact I didn't remember the song being performed by Tom Jones or even Joe Crocker -- I swear I thought it had been done by Delbert McClinton, though I can find no evidence of that now...

So I'm learning about it too! :my_tongue:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, johnhugh said:

How is it possible to home school children with different ages and abilities when you only have one teacher? I was schooled in the UK at both state then private schools  but you were generally taught, even though text books were used. The older girl sitting on the sofa on her own is basically teaching herself. No wonder the older guys go from one job to another. swift offer, maxhell and sons building, lawn mowing,, photography.....

It's not that difficult to get older children started on an assignment and then move on to give more attention to the younger ones. Not sure about the other daughters-in-law families, but Mel's seemed to give their children a good homeschooling education given several of them went to college.

Edited by Dru
can't spell
  • Upvote 6

11 minutes ago, Dru said:

How is it possible to home school children with different ages and abilities when you only have one teacher?

It's really not that difficult.  Also, when they are elementary age, it is simple enough to do subjects like science and history all together.

The one-room schoolhouse of US history served many thousands well.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

12 hours ago, Lisafer said:

He was born in Shawnee, Oklahoma, but grew up near Springfield, MO. He graduated from Kickapoo High in Springfield. His parents still live in Springfield and he has a brother in the area as well. 

Oh okay. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

The chore pack calendar next to Abigail reflects February. It also looks like they only homeschool four days a week.

Feb 28th is on a Thursday, not on a Tuesday.  Are the calendars different?

• Upvote 1

The issue I have with fundie homeschooling especially (and secular homeschooling done badly) is their reliance on those damned workbooks.  There's so much more to education (and yes, even in a public school) than regurgitating information into a workbook.  Math, okay, fine.  I'll give them that.  But what are they reading?  How are they studying history and civics and science?  Are they doing experiments?  Visiting historic sites?  Of course, to do it properly require visiting a local library (the horror!) or being part of a homeschool collective (double horror!).  

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, bluelady said:

But what are they reading?

Unfortunately, unless Melanie has been able to significantly change Nathan's mind, or Nathan himself was able to break from his parents' mold, not much.  

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

This is super funny because I was the one who said the phrase in Maxwellcontext, and I only knew the song, not that it was from the Full Monty!   (which I've obviously never seen)  

Wow, but it was still perfect.  My kids still laugh that they talked me into watching that move and that I loved it.  

• Love 4

5 hours ago, Dru said:

On another note, Ben looks more like he's a cousin than a sibling to me.

When I look at Melanie and Nathan's kids it's weird, but none of them really look like siblings to me.  Well, Abbey and Andrew look somewhat alike, but that's about it. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

28 minutes ago, kpmom said:

When I look at Melanie and Nathan's kids it's weird, but none of them really look like siblings to me.  Well, Abbey and Andrew look somewhat alike, but that's about it. 

I agree. If there’s ever a case for “genetics do weird things”, it’s them.  Meaning - the Duggar’s have a zillion kids and they look different, but you can see similarities.  Melanie and Nathan’s kids all look unique to me. It’s very interesting from a biology standpoint. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, OhNoNike said:

I agree. If there’s ever a case for “genetics do weird things”, it’s them.  Meaning - the Duggar’s have a zillion kids and they look different, but you can see similarities.  Melanie and Nathan’s kids all look unique to me. It’s very interesting from a biology standpoint. 

On the flip side, Christopher and NR-Anna's kids look very similar to each other, IMHO.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 6

10 hours ago, keepercjr said:

Weird. Who the hell knows with these people....

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, SamuraiKatz said:
On 2/20/2019 at 12:38 PM, browngrl said:
I don't get "dad's corner" posts so this is just speculation on my part, but is Steve well? 
He looks more frail in any pictures of him I've seen on the blog and now he never seems to offer his blunt succinct response to any blog comments. He's only with the grandchildren when the whole family (or a large number of them) are together. Additionally he seems to have adopted a rather fatalistic view of health care now that he's joined scameritan. Terry seems to be the one who comments and to go out to see the grandchildren (albeit with helpers).  Maybe he is just saving up his vitriol for a very special "dad's corner".

Read more  

Great Rufus! Steve and Teri are both 65 plus and Medicare eligible. They don't have to depend on scamaritan. Steve also spent time in the military Vietnam era and is eligible for care from the Vetetans Administration as well.

Eh Scamatarian might be better than the VA. My cousin was blown up by an IED in Iraq on his 5th tour almost lost his leg, has skin grafts on half his body, spent over a year in Walter Reed... he has been waiting going on 11 years for the knee and hip replacement he desperately needs. He's in agonizing pain working 90 jrs a week construction because his disability was messed up and to get it back he can't work at all for at least 6 months the VA said but they offer no help to do that. He is in treatment is for opiate addiction (if anyone deserves to take opiates its him) and the VA is so messed up no one takes their "coverage" or deals with them so he had to pay our of pocket, Medicaid patients have full coverage though.  And now the VA isnt reimbursing him either because theyre a disaster. His brother committed suicide last year after theee tours and horrible PTSD the VA left him on his own with.

I know Scamatarian is horrendous but the VA is beyond horrible. 

• Sad 9
  • WTF 1
  • Love 2

I think that when you have two parents who look quite different, you’ll often end up with kids who look pretty different. I think Nathan and Mel don’t look much alike. I had a friend growing up with parents that looked a lot alike. She and her siblings looked so much alike it was creepy. We always teased her and said her parents were secretly siblings. Barf. We had twisted senses of humor even as kids. 

• Upvote 8

21 hours ago, keepercjr said:

I think the lines on that calendar start on Tuesday, from the blurry day names underneath. So perhaps they take Mondays off homeschooling. I know a lot of pastor's families do that because they spend like 8 hours in church on Sunday. I don't know where the Nathans go to church, perhaps a traditional Baptist with a morning and evening service (and a pasty burrito meal at Steve's in between). Hardly a restful day.

The rest of the calendar is cropped but my guess is that they homeschool Tuesday-Friday. 

Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 9.24.41 AM.png

• Upvote 5

My DH and I look alike. We both have dark brown, wavy hair. We both have large, prominent noses. We both wear glasses. And I am almost as tall as him. There are definite differences, but we do, at least superficially, look very similar. 

Now, our two boys also look a lot alike, but oddly enough one takes after me more and the other takes after my DH more. The biggest differences between the two are their coloring, with my oldest being red haired, brown eyed, fair, ruddy complexion, and my youngest being blond, green eyed, very light olive complexion. But you look at them, you instantly know they are brothers. 

Genetics is weird and awesome. 

• Upvote 6

I think that Bethany and Drew look a bit alike, as well as Abigail and Benjamin. I have no idea where Christina came from. 

I think it's interesting that for the Maxwell second generation, the first three kids all have their own look, and then the reversals are all spitting images of each other. 

And Teri sorta said something nice about a public school teacher in the comments!

• Upvote 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic