IGNORED

Maxwell 29: You Can Leave Your Vest On, Second Verse Same as the First

Coconut Flan

5 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

Smiling, no less.

In the dictionary under TONE DEAF, there is a picture of the Maxwells.

I looked at the tribute to Susannah’s sadly short life a few years ago but could not understand the big, cheery smiles on her parents’ faces.  There they are, cuddling their dying baby but smiling “because we know where she’s going! Let God’s Love be reflected in your face!”

That last part about “smiles or else!” admittedly is from some TV preacher, circa 1986. But it’s the Maxwells all over. You know how to know if someone is happy, in the Lord? They are smiling. Smiling big! Always joyous!

At least now, a dozen years on, they admit they cried, sobbed, were beyond broken-hearted. 

But if they asked my thoughts, I’d say it was time to promote the memorial song without the series of inexplicably sunny snapshots. One photo of Nate & Mel, gazing at the little girl.  Knowing that her chances had always been dicey, but quietly  resigned to the truth that is bearing down upon them. They are still faithful and true believers, but yes, see? Even THEY, Maxwells, could believe and not have to show teeth. 

They’ll never get it. I hope flood victims who glimpsed the souvenir photo-taking didn’t know these were Christians (sic) blithely passing by and capturing the gosh-golly-gee moment. The Maxwells do not represent  Christians well.  

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it wrong to hope the Maxwells get flooded out?  Cuz they are a bunch of assholes for smiling pretty in front of the water, whining about how the flood is affecting their jogging route, and not asking for prayers for the ones affected by flooding.  I lived through the 93 flood, we were not displaced but the family business was almost wiped out.  FUCK THE MAXWELLS!!!!!!!!!

One would not want to be caught in the middle of a flood.

no shit, Sherlock.  

and how lovely that you post your grinning-like-fools selfie as your fellow humans lose their houses, businesses, and lives.  

Rufus H. Reindeer, these people are so fucking clueless.

My first thought when I saw the photo, was the three kids gazing longingly through the fence, wishing to be free, but the evil tyrant is standing guard to keep them inside his evil kingdom.   

7 hours ago, HereticHick said:

You get extra points for the accent mark, because you know it would drive Steve batty.

Reminds me of when a friend's precocious  kid came home from kindergarten one day.  She said there was a boy in her class with a problem; the kid thought he was Jesus (which was his first name.)

My friend and I laughed at that for days.  Bet Steve would be absolutely horrified to think that parents would use that name.

Does that idiot know that due to the floods, at least four people died in Nebraska and Iowa, as well as hundreds of farm animals?  "Thankfully, it hasn’t seriously impacted things except for flooding some roads, and impacting a business or two, some city areas, and the park."  Well I guess as long as there was no damage in Leavenworth, it's all good.  And smile for the camera!  Happy sibling pictures for the family blog business!  That post was pretty cold hearted.  

The way they all stand there starting through the fence reminds me of a president mindlessly surveying storm damage... it’s a stupid photo. 

10 hours ago, usedbicycle said:

In addition, I always read the verses with emphasis awkwardly placed on the italicized words, and the stunted delivery sounds just like Sarah. (I know the italics are there to signify words added by the translators, but unless you're a bible scholar, it's just unnecessary and snobby to add them).

I agree. I've read the NT in Koine Greek, and I hate Sarah's use of italics. I don't know Hebrew, but in Greek, the omission of basic verbs, mostly forms of "to be," is common. When words are italicized, it's not a translator adding words arbitrarily; a Greek would infer the verb, preposition, etc, as a Greek sentence without a verb is usually saying __ is __. The meaning is there; it's just there as a part of a word, not a separate word as in English. However, there's an argument for italics in translation; not my preference, but they have history. 

But Sarah's use of italics seems like a form of showing people that she as a holy Maxwell knows the real Word of God, false translators be damned. She's copying the linguistic choice of some 16th-century scholars who lived in a time when the "true meaning" of the Bible meant life and death, and she's doing so without any of the academic experience, context, or nuance behind it. 

Okay, classicist rant over. ?

3 hours ago, Granwych said:

Reminds me of when a friend's precocious  kid came home from kindergarten one day.  She said there was a boy in her class with a problem; the kid thought he was Jesus (which was his first name.)

My friend and I laughed at that for days.  Bet Steve would be absolutely horrified to think that parents would use that name.

Do any of the Maxwell family have "Joshua" somewhere in their names? Because that's the same thing as Jesus, basically. I wonder if Steve knows that. 

@Aithuia, I wonder if Sarah's studied any Greek or Hebrew at all (ha ha, who am I kidding?) It really irritates me that people like the Maxwells who claim to be such scholars of the Bible have no understanding of the original languages. I learned some very basic Greek when I was homeschooled, enough to understand the "why" and "how" of the italicized English versions, and to give me a little appreciation for the difficulties of translation.

3 hours ago, Granwych said:

thanks jesus.jpg

11 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

Nope.  And instead of driving a few hours and helping out local folks who truly need help, they will stuff plastic geegaws in shoeboxes, send them overseas to kids who don't need any of it, and pat themselves on the back for being holy.  :bangheaddesk:

Hey, hey, hey, let's not be harsh here. Sarah ended her post with "Are any of our readers affected by flooding?" if someone answers in the affirmative, I'm sure the Maxwells will keep that family in their prayers. Because they are deserving of compassion, unlike those "Mexicans" and other poor people who live in the flood plains.

Admission of guilt:  I commented on the flood post just from reading here. When I finally got around to the actual post there, it was less offensive than I’d imagined. It did talk about flooding and destruction before it got to the minor effects on the family (“got so far on our run and the path was under water”).

So, kudos to Poor Sarah, for taking the macro view. 

However.

Just for fun, Sarah, someday can you show us what your family members’ smiles are like when they’re not showing off the teeth that good orthodontia bought?   You have lovely nice healthy big unstained white straight teeth! We get it! Do you have ANY facial expression other than Wide!Manic!Grin! — seriously, do ya?? 

On 3/20/2019 at 7:51 PM, Baxter said:

It's possible that Bethany is far sighted meaning that she can see distances fine but needs glasses for up close like reading although that's something that younger children are usually diagnosed with. I was far sighted as a kid and wore glasses but I didn't need to wear them for everything. 

This is the case for my daughter as well.

On 3/25/2019 at 9:27 AM, freejugar said:

Jesús would not approve

I feel like this applies to any number of things these idiots do.

17 hours ago, theologygeek said:

Does that idiot know that due to the floods, at least four people died in Nebraska and Iowa, as well as hundreds of farm animals?  "Thankfully, it hasn’t seriously impacted things except for flooding some roads, and impacting a business or two, some city areas, and the park."  Well I guess as long as there was no damage in Leavenworth, it's all good.  And smile for the camera!  Happy sibling pictures for the family blog business!  That post was pretty cold hearted.  

Of course not. If they didn't overhear it in the line at the grocery store it must not be that important.

On 3/25/2019 at 12:07 PM, MamaJunebug said:

I looked at the tribute to Susannah’s sadly short life a few years ago but could not understand the big, cheery smiles on her parents’ faces.  There they are, cuddling their dying baby but smiling “because we know where she’s going! Let God’s Love be reflected in your face!”

That last part about “smiles or else!” admittedly is from some TV preacher, circa 1986. But it’s the Maxwells all over. You know how to know if someone is happy, in the Lord? They are smiling. Smiling big! Always joyous!

At least now, a dozen years on, they admit they cried, sobbed, were beyond broken-hearted. 

But if they asked my thoughts, I’d say it was time to promote the memorial song without the series of inexplicably sunny snapshots. One photo of Nate & Mel, gazing at the little girl.  Knowing that her chances had always been dicey, but quietly  resigned to the truth that is bearing down upon them. They are still faithful and true believers, but yes, see? Even THEY, Maxwells, could believe and not have to show teeth. 

They’ll never get it. I hope flood victims who glimpsed the souvenir photo-taking didn’t know these were Christians (sic) blithely passing by and capturing the gosh-golly-gee moment. The Maxwells do not represent  Christians well.  

I am not sure how to respond here, but I do think we need to be careful about commenting on the Maxwell images from the NICU. I am not convinced they are smiling because of their theology, or the fact that they are conditioned to smile and put on a public "face".

My son suffered catastrophic brain damage during birth.  For the first week we weren't sure if he would live.  He did, but he is profoundly disabled.  Profoundly disabled in that he doesn't know I am his mother, hold his head up, or eat without a feeding tube.  In the NICU pictures of me and my child I am smiling.  I am smiling, not because I wasn't totally freaked out, or worried about my critically ill child.  I was smiling because, in the moment, I was holding my newborn infant and I adored him.  That adoration had nothing to do with the severity of his condition, the worry about his life expectancy, or anything to do with my faith. I was smiling because I was holding my son, and in that moment he was the total source of my joy. Regardless of whether he lived or died I would always have those moments holding him.  

In the moment I was devastated.  And if I give myself time to contemplate our journey, at times I still I am.  But as  private person I was not prepared to share my emotional state with the world in the NICU. 

I think we need to cut parents in the NICU some slack.  Even the Maxwells.

2 minutes ago, daisyjane1234 said:

Gawking at the flood and rambling about how it hasn't impacted their area, except for the countless examples where it did. 

Essentially, they did a post mocking people's suffering. They used the flooding for photo ops and to kill time on a boring afternoon.

These people are not only boring, they're abhorrent. 

6 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

"One would not want to be caught in the middle of a flood"

A lot of people were, you insensitive twit. 

Now, now.  She did say in one of the comments that people dying in the flood is "super sad".

Super sad.  Seriously.

Then she went down to the malt shop with Gidget and the gang.

Sheesh.

And did you know that “hurricanes take a big toll on areas!”?  That is some profound info right there.  

1 hour ago, kpmom said:

Now, now.  She did say in one of the comments that people dying in the flood is "super sad".

Super sad.  Seriously.

Then she went down to the malt shop with Gidget and the gang.

Sheesh.

Spot on, @kpmom !  Maxwell kidults have been so sheltered and emotionally stunted.  That 30-something writer and  author Sarah  can only offer up such a trite phrase is cringeworthy.

19 hours ago, daisyjane1234 said:

I am not sure how to respond here, but I do think we need to be careful about commenting on the Maxwell images from the NICU. I am not convinced they are smiling because of their theology, or the fact that they are conditioned to smile and put on a public "face".

My son suffered catastrophic brain damage during birth.  For the first week we weren't sure if he would live.  He did, but he is profoundly disabled.  Profoundly disabled in that he doesn't know I am his mother, hold his head up, or eat without a feeding tube.  In the NICU pictures of me and my child I am smiling.  I am smiling, not because I wasn't totally freaked out, or worried about my critically ill child.  I was smiling because, in the moment, I was holding my newborn infant and I adored him.  That adoration had nothing to do with the severity of his condition, the worry about his life expectancy, or anything to do with my faith. I was smiling because I was holding my son, and in that moment he was the total source of my joy. Regardless of whether he lived or died I would always have those moments holding him.  

In the moment I was devastated.  And if I give myself time to contemplate our journey, at times I still I am.  But as  private person I was not prepared to share my emotional state with the world in the NICU. 

I think we need to cut parents in the NICU some slack.  Even the Maxwells.

I apologize for appearing to come down hard on Nate & Mel. It was never my intention to criticize them, but to criticize the worldview that (IME & IMHO) dictates an unnatural response to a situation in the name of evangelism by example. 

I also apologize for criticizing their use of whatever photos they chose to document Susannah’s brief time on earth.  Of course, as I’ve counseled others, if something offends my sensibilities, I can turn my attention from it. 

And @daisyjane1234, I thank you for providing me with a new point of view. I hadn’t known about your son, but you and your family are in my heart forever. 

I also thought the collection of photos made them look like grade schoolers on a field trip, especially where they’re looking through the fence with Steve and Teri behind them. 

13 hours ago, catlady said:

And did you know that “hurricanes take a big toll on areas!”?  That is some profound info right there.  

If I didn't know better, I'd think she graduated from Trump college.

17 minutes ago, Granwych said:

If I didn't know better, I'd think she graduated from Trump college.

To take us off topic, I listen to (and love!) a podcast called "Behind the Bastards," which talks about terrible people who do terrible things. And, in the great tradition of snark, makes tons of fun of them. In any case, they did a podcast on Trump University, and it is WILD. Like, even worse than I could have imagined. I highly recommend it. 

16 hours ago, petrushka said:

Spot on, @kpmom !  Maxwell kidults have been so sheltered and emotionally stunted.  That 30-something writer and  author Sarah  can only offer up such a trite phrase is cringeworthy.

I really do think that fundamentalism encourages and fosters/nurtures a lack of empathy, if not outright sociopathy. When anyone who isn't exactly like you is evil at worst and "lost" at best (and you should only befriend or be nice to them as a means to an end), and experiences that would enable (or force) you to see the world from different perspectives are verboten (because they'd make you question your own perspective and thus the cult's perspective), it's hard to learn to be empathetic to others or understand experiences and traumas other than your own. Add in the unhealthy ways of dealing with negative emotions and experiences (slap a smile on and act like it never happened because admitting you feel any emotion other than joy in the light of God would be admitting that the cult is not a happy perfect place all the time), and you have a whole generation of emotionally stunted overgrown children who have little to no empathy for others, controlled by sociopathic/narcissistic parents who found a philosophy that never forces them to acknowledge or own their shitty behavior. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived