• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Coconut Flan

Maxwell 29: You Can Leave Your Vest On, Second Verse Same as the First

Baxter

It's possible that Bethany is far sighted meaning that she can see distances fine but needs glasses for up close like reading although that's something that younger children are usually diagnosed with. I was far sighted as a kid and wore glasses but I didn't need to wear them for everything. 

Jana814

When I first started wearing glasses in 3rd grade they were only for distance. Now I wear them for everything. 

Waffle Time
mango_fandango

I got glasses when I was about ten or so, being near-sighted (which we call shortsighted in the U.K.). They were initially for classroom use, seeing the whiteboard mainly, but I do now wear them all the time. I have astigmatism too. I got contacts when I was 18, but I don’t actually wear them often. I actually don’t remember when my last eye check was. I’m sure it’s due soon, if not overdue. I haven’t had a reminder from my opticians.

JermajestyDuggar

I’m lucky that I don’t need glasses. Yet. I get my vision from my dad’s side of the family. They all needed reading glasses during middle age and then glasses for all the time past 60. I assume that’s how I will go too. 

Queen Of Hearts

Did I read the random moments post right that Anna was at work? Aka a JOB? Have we heard about this before?

HereticHick
24 minutes ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

Did I read the random moments post right that Anna was at work? Aka a JOB? Have we heard about this before?

I thought Anna's "Job" was keeping the books/mailing stuff for the various family businesses.

Waffle Time
mango_fandango

The annual Susannah post is up. Losing a  much-wanted child like that must be so hard, no matter who you are or what you believe. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 4

MamaJunebug
11 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I thought Anna's "Job" was keeping the books/mailing stuff for the various family businesses.

Think PS wrote that RA “was working,” not that she “was at work.”

(How am I back on the Maxpage? Oh, right, I have the mother of all headcolds & am not thinking straight!)

punkiepie

The annual Susannah post is pretty much the only time that the Maxwells sound like heartfelt human beings.  It's like for this one day, they are able to drop their robotic ways and allow themselves to experience their sadness without plastering on a keep sweet smile.  

TeaELSee

Basic optics from what I remember in school. (It’s been years)

Myopia: aka near sighted (short sighted) You can see things close up better than in the distance. Point of focus falls short of your retina usually because the eye is “too long”.  It is the most common need for glasses. The younger you are when you have myopia the stronger the prescription will be as an adult. 

Hyperopia:  aka Far sighted.  Opposite of myopia. You can see things better in the distance than you can up close. Not to be confused with presbyopia. Most little kids have a degree of this that do not require a prescription (mild +*1.00 +2.00) and is outgrown. Some shady eye doctors will prescribe glasses for this though. 

Presbyopia: Why everyone needs reading glasses as they age. I hope I am remembering this right.  As you age the lens in your eye becomes increasingly less flexible therefore your eye muscles that control them can no longer adjust. It progresses, that is why you find yourself buying stronger reading glasses.

astigmatism: Usually due to an irregular cornea of varying degrees, it isn’t uncommon for it to waiver a bit over a lifetime.

*Diopters: How your vision is measured/corrected. Each click during the refraction is .25 of a diopter. Most don’t prescribe until -1.00 to 1.25 diopter for myopia depending on the age. As adults most of us fall in the -3.00 to -5.00 range.  My husband is close to a -7.00 and he started wearing glasses in 2nd grade. I’m a -3.50 and I started wearing them in 5th.

I hope this helps. I am a bit rusty so feel free to correct anything I messed up!

Edited by TeaELSee

Melissa1977
On 3/21/2019 at 4:56 PM, Queen Of Hearts said:

She works for Nathan. And as far as we know, it's not clear if she has a salary or volunteers. Also, not clear if it's a daily job or just a weekly/monthly eventual help.

Maxwells lie constantly. Nathan said he had an Annie working for him, as if she was a non-related woman. But it was her sister. I suppose faking he had an employed person made his business look better. 

Edited by Melissa1977
Spelling

Waffle Time
mango_fandango

I’m -4.75 in my right eye and -6 in my left.  That’s for glasses though, it’s slightly different for my contacts. I’ve looked into prescription goggles out of interest and it’s difficult to find a pair where you can select the prescription per eye; most of them are -5 (say) in both eyes as standard. It’s annoying for someone like me with different diopters in each eye!

SPHASH
7 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Maxwells lie constantly. 

Yes they do.  In 2012 Poor Sarah said Susannah was born in the evening but in 2013 she said she was born at 5 am.   https://blog.titus2.com/2012/03/21/5-years-ago/     https://blog.titus2.com/2013/03/21/a-jewel-on-loan/

Don't mean to nitpick about Susannah but get your story straight Poor Sarah!

Edited by SPHASH

Waffle Time
mango_fandango
1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

Yes they do.  In 2012 Poor Sarah said Susannah was born in the evening but in 2013 she said she was born at 5 am.   https://blog.titus2.com/2012/03/21/5-years-ago/     https://blog.titus2.com/2013/03/21/a-jewel-on-loan/

Don't mean to nitpick about Susannah but get your story straight Poor Sarah!

And in the blog post from the time, March 2007, it’s mentioned she was born at 4:10 am. I’m inclined to go with what they wrote in 2007.

https://blog.titus2.com/2007/03/21/suzannah-joy/

(Interesting how there’s a z in her name in that link. I’m assuming that’s just a typo as it’s always been two Ss otherwise).