IGNORED

Maxwell 29: You Can Leave Your Vest On, Second Verse Same as the First

Coconut Flan

It's possible that Bethany is far sighted meaning that she can see distances fine but needs glasses for up close like reading although that's something that younger children are usually diagnosed with. I was far sighted as a kid and wore glasses but I didn't need to wear them for everything. 

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got glasses when I was about ten or so, being near-sighted (which we call shortsighted in the U.K.). They were initially for classroom use, seeing the whiteboard mainly, but I do now wear them all the time. I have astigmatism too. I got contacts when I was 18, but I don’t actually wear them often. I actually don’t remember when my last eye check was. I’m sure it’s due soon, if not overdue. I haven’t had a reminder from my opticians.

I’m lucky that I don’t need glasses. Yet. I get my vision from my dad’s side of the family. They all needed reading glasses during middle age and then glasses for all the time past 60. I assume that’s how I will go too. 

Did I read the random moments post right that Anna was at work? Aka a JOB? Have we heard about this before?

24 minutes ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

Did I read the random moments post right that Anna was at work? Aka a JOB? Have we heard about this before?

I thought Anna's "Job" was keeping the books/mailing stuff for the various family businesses.

The annual Susannah post is up. Losing a  much-wanted child like that must be so hard, no matter who you are or what you believe. 

11 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I thought Anna's "Job" was keeping the books/mailing stuff for the various family businesses.

Think PS wrote that RA “was working,” not that she “was at work.”

(How am I back on the Maxpage? Oh, right, I have the mother of all headcolds & am not thinking straight!)

The annual Susannah post is pretty much the only time that the Maxwells sound like heartfelt human beings.  It's like for this one day, they are able to drop their robotic ways and allow themselves to experience their sadness without plastering on a keep sweet smile.  

Basic optics from what I remember in school. (It’s been years)

Myopia: aka near sighted (short sighted) You can see things close up better than in the distance. Point of focus falls short of your retina usually because the eye is “too long”.  It is the most common need for glasses. The younger you are when you have myopia the stronger the prescription will be as an adult. 

Hyperopia:  aka Far sighted.  Opposite of myopia. You can see things better in the distance than you can up close. Not to be confused with presbyopia. Most little kids have a degree of this that do not require a prescription (mild +*1.00 +2.00) and is outgrown. Some shady eye doctors will prescribe glasses for this though. 

Presbyopia: Why everyone needs reading glasses as they age. I hope I am remembering this right.  As you age the lens in your eye becomes increasingly less flexible therefore your eye muscles that control them can no longer adjust. It progresses, that is why you find yourself buying stronger reading glasses.

astigmatism: Usually due to an irregular cornea of varying degrees, it isn’t uncommon for it to waiver a bit over a lifetime.

*Diopters: How your vision is measured/corrected. Each click during the refraction is .25 of a diopter. Most don’t prescribe until -1.00 to 1.25 diopter for myopia depending on the age. As adults most of us fall in the -3.00 to -5.00 range.  My husband is close to a -7.00 and he started wearing glasses in 2nd grade. I’m a -3.50 and I started wearing them in 5th.

I hope this helps. I am a bit rusty so feel free to correct anything I messed up!

On 3/21/2019 at 4:56 PM, Queen Of Hearts said:

She works for Nathan. And as far as we know, it's not clear if she has a salary or volunteers. Also, not clear if it's a daily job or just a weekly/monthly eventual help.

Maxwells lie constantly. Nathan said he had an Annie working for him, as if she was a non-related woman. But it was her sister. I suppose faking he had an employed person made his business look better. 

I’m -4.75 in my right eye and -6 in my left.  That’s for glasses though, it’s slightly different for my contacts. I’ve looked into prescription goggles out of interest and it’s difficult to find a pair where you can select the prescription per eye; most of them are -5 (say) in both eyes as standard. It’s annoying for someone like me with different diopters in each eye!

7 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Maxwells lie constantly. 

Yes they do.  In 2012 Poor Sarah said Susannah was born in the evening but in 2013 she said she was born at 5 am.   https://blog.titus2.com/2012/03/21/5-years-ago/     https://blog.titus2.com/2013/03/21/a-jewel-on-loan/

Don't mean to nitpick about Susannah but get your story straight Poor Sarah!

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

Yes they do.  In 2012 Poor Sarah said Susannah was born in the evening but in 2013 she said she was born at 5 am.   https://blog.titus2.com/2012/03/21/5-years-ago/     https://blog.titus2.com/2013/03/21/a-jewel-on-loan/

Don't mean to nitpick about Susannah but get your story straight Poor Sarah!

And in the blog post from the time, March 2007, it’s mentioned she was born at 4:10 am. I’m inclined to go with what they wrote in 2007.

https://blog.titus2.com/2007/03/21/suzannah-joy/

(Interesting how there’s a z in her name in that link. I’m assuming that’s just a typo as it’s always been two Ss otherwise).

I just read/watched the Sussanah post. I was struck, as I am every year, by how intrusive some of the photos seem. Nathan’s Maxhell training is kicking in and he’s smiling as soon as a camera is pointed at him, but Melanie, understandably, looks exhausted and distraught and like the last thing she wants is to pose for photos. I totally understand taking some pictures, I’m sure they are very precious, but some of the posing just seems distasteful.

Also, why do they abbreviate heaven to “hev” in the song when “heaven” would scan just as well? 

I remember I once watched the video years ago with the sound off. I don’t remember each photo exactly.

Saying “hev” instead of “heaven” sounds bizarre for the Maxwells. You’d think that kind of abbreviation would be a no no. 

Today’s post- They took a field trip to watch a flood...  They mention how the flood affected others, and then took a family photo in front of The Flood.  Whew. Full day for them!    

(Imagine all those people who lose their possessions and spend their days cleaning up and not taking family photos... We had some serious localized flooding in my area several months ago and would never think to take a family photo.)

2 hours ago, OhNoNike said:

then took a family photo in front of The Flood.

Smiling, no less.

In the dictionary under TONE DEAF, there is a picture of the Maxwells.

I wonder if this will prompt Stevie to start a new family work project and build an ark?

I came here after I saw the Let’s All Smile Pretty Infront of  a Flood pic. They don’t even say they are praying for those affected by the flood. Have any of the Maxwells ever helped out during community relief projects? Which brother wanted to be a paramedic? Maxwells: Stunted and Smothered...

Not sure if others feel this way, but Sarah's Bible verses at the end of her posts are my pet peeve.

They generally have no connection at all to the post content, except for a key word. She obviously just plugged in the word "flood" and copy-pasted the first verse that popped up. This Psalm has to do with depression/deep despair/unfair persecution and nothing to do with natural disasters... And it's right below a picture of them smiling.

In addition, I always read the verses with emphasis awkwardly placed on the italicized words, and the stunted delivery sounds just like Sarah. (I know the italics are there to signify words added by the translators, but unless you're a bible scholar, it's just unnecessary and snobby to add them).

This is a terrible post. It affected their running, oh wow...how about all the people who’ve lost their homes and lives that have been lost and have to start from scratch? People who were maybe renting and lost everything with no backup? Poor people? Get your head out your ass and do something to help instead of asking your readers who was affected. You all live close enough and have the time and energy. Assholes. I think this post is going to make them lose followers.

It was Chris who was talked out of being a paramedic @Markie 

2 hours ago, Markie said:

They don’t even say they are praying for those affected by the flood. Have any of the Maxwells ever helped out during community relief projects?

Nope.  And instead of driving a few hours and helping out local folks who truly need help, they will stuff plastic geegaws in shoeboxes, send them overseas to kids who don't need any of it, and pat themselves on the back for being holy.  :bangheaddesk:

31 minutes ago, freejugar said:

Jesús would not approve

You get extra points for the accent mark, because you know it would drive Steve batty.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived