IGNORED

Maxwell 29: You Can Leave Your Vest On, Second Verse Same as the First

Coconut Flan

@Lisafer, re food and sensory issues: I grew up in a family where everyone ate everything—fresh fruit and vegetables abounded—but I went through a period as a kid where cooked egg whites and anything even slightly rubbery/fatty/slimy on meats squicked me out, but I outgrew it. My daughter and oldest nephew grew up on my mom’s homemade soups and the fresh veggies from my dad’s garden. My son-in-law grew up the same way.

Then—drumroll—came my grandson and knocked me off my high horse. At age 2.5, he asked his father where meat came from, then promptly became a vegetarian (no one else in the family was).  At age 11.5, his diet consists of milk, juice, string cheese (the Trader Joe’s kind only), yogurt (certain brands only), certain raw vegetables (carrots, spinach, a few others), certain raw fruits (apples, pears, grapes, a few others), crackers, dry cereal, bread, uncomplicated baked goods. He’s physically active and at a healthy weight, so no one is concerned. I once asked him, “What if you fall in love and get married and the person you marry works hard and makes a really nice meal for you? What would you do then?” He had no real answer to that one.

@PennySycamore, me too, but I’m trying to make my sweet tooth settle for the applesauce in my fridge instead of the pie in my freezer! I have a cake splitter/saw thing I bought at Michael’s (where I got the cake strips), but the blade, though serrated and metal, is a bit too flexible and only works really well on light-textured cakes. It’s harder to use on firm ones. 

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/9/2019 at 6:37 PM, fundiefan said:

They don't actually announce, in the technical sense, anything other than self-promotion. Rewriting/designing/bundling their books & wares, speaking at a conference...it's always a sad, pathetic "announcement" when they go out of their way to set up anticipation. 

<snip> 

Pretty much it will be announcement worthy only in Steve's mind and not in any actual sense. Just like every other one since Joseph's first true love broke their hasty engagement. 

Ding, ding, ding...full marks!

Teri has written a book - full details next Monday, but they've shared comments from test readers - I'm sure having Michelle Dugger as a test reader will whip some of the fundies into a frenzy!

Oh Maxwells - you announce that you are announcing a book, but you still can't give us that pizza cutter trick. 

9 hours ago, Lisafer said:

Barring any allergies or sensory issues, I don't understand why people can't just eat what you cooked for them. I mean, will they gag on real butter or half and half in their coffee? How can they be so picky? 

But then again, I'm a mother of young children. If somebody else is cooking, I don't care what it is, I'll eat it!

I mostly can. I only have a few foods I can’t stand. And they are mostly meats. I’ve gotten good at avoiding certain foods in a polite way. It helps that I was a vegetarian for a very long time and most people don’t ever expect me to eat much meat. I often will focus on how delicious a side dish is and take a large portion of that instead of the meat. If you just rave about the side dishes, many won’t notice if you don’t eat the meat. But cool whip, margarine, and fake cream? Yeah I’m totally fine with all those things. 

The picture used in the book announcement is just terrible. Terri looks like she is in a pile of hand me downs. 

Good call, all who predicted a book announcement. I can’t wait. ?

Good god what is Teri going to write about?! Scheduled grandma time? Having three grown daughters in the home with no future prospects? 

I wonder what the title will be. Sweet something. She's done Sweet Relationships and Sweet Journey.

Sweet Mothering Turning Your Daughters into Sister-Moms, perhaps?

16 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

I wonder what the title will be. Sweet something. She's done Sweet Relationships and Sweet Journey.

Sweet Mothering Turning Your Daughters into Sister-Moms, perhaps?

Sweet Smothering?

22 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Good god what is Teri going to write about?! 

I wondered at first but I bet it’s related to this. How to find your biblical purpose in a post menopausal season of life...

Hence all the very recent posts about books in grandmas bag, and the face Michelle Duggar reviewed it. 

You know, when you’ve spent your life raising children and harping on how it’s what god wants... but then your kids grow up and your “purpose” is gone.  So she quotes bible verses about older women minding children and being there for their husbands... how sex is still important even through hot flashes since men have needs etc.  How sex has a purpose even though there’s no procreation. 

14 minutes ago, OhNoNike said:

I wondered at first but I bet it’s related to this. How to find your biblical purpose in a post menopausal season of life...

Hence all the very recent posts about books in grandmas bag, and the face Michelle Duggar reviewed it. 

You know, when you’ve spent your life raising children and harping on how it’s what god wants... but then your kids grow up and your “purpose” is gone.  So she quotes bible verses about older women minding children and being there for their husbands... how sex is still important even through hot flashes since men have needs etc.  How sex has a purpose even though there’s no procreation. 

Sorry but Teri even alluding to sex with Steve is  going to make me gag...

14 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Sorry but Teri even alluding to sex with Steve is  going to make me gag...

It hurt to type it.  

Newest Maxwell Click-bait: Teri has written a new book but of course we can't know the subject or title yet - check back on the 18th!  Also explains why suddenly in the last year Teri has been more active (and actively featured) on the blog.

I can't imagine, even putting on Maxwell lenses, what Teri could possibly write a book about. No matter the title, every other book has been the same thing - bury your emotions for Jesus & your husband's sake. Make babies. Homeschooling. Schedule your life in immobile 15 minute increments. Don't remind your headship of anything, ever. Isolate your kids to the point of crippling them. They repackage but never change content. There is no aspect of Human existence that I need guidance from a depressed, self censored, obsessive woman.

If, as some have suggested , she is rambling on about post menopausal life ( with a totally godly name about the season) and any of you feel tempted, just ping me. Been there, done that, live it every day. Even though I had no kids, I am positive my experiences & thoughts more closely align to yours than any of Dreary Teri's.

The name dropping cracks me up in its obviousness. They never use actual last names anywhere on their blog. It's either an Initial indicating the family...The A family...or just a first name.

Except for Michelle DUGGAR.

16 hours ago, Hane said:

Yeah—that can be a huge pain. I often use Bake Even Cake Strips (insulated cotton strips you moisten and wrap around the outer edge of layer cake pans) so my layers don’t “dome” so much, but even they don’t guarantee 100% flat layers. I often settle for cooling the layers and sawing the domes off. Domes=Hunks of snack cake for later, or add-ins for trifle!

Thank you! I'll try the cake strips. I don't have a very even hand, so I'm trying to avoid cutting the tops--I always make them wonky!

ETA: Here's last year's version. It's become a really fun tradition--the person I make it for says that she can't wait for the next incarnation--it's different every year. ?

Spoiler

IMG_0146.thumb.JPG.78a68587a26abf16713c8c5d8cf35ee1.JPG

5 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Oh Maxwells - you announce that you are announcing a book, but you still can't give us that pizza cutter trick. 

It’s been THREE YEARS AND THREE MONTHS DANGIT!!! 

7499FB5B-4075-4824-BD26-E6B8329A57E3.thumb.png.8c5b77365bf1015d4455dd72d23d8854.png

20 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Thank you! I'll try the cake strips. I don't have a very even hand, so I'm trying to avoid cutting the tops--I always make them wonky!

ETA: Here's last year's version. It's become a really fun tradition--the person I make it for says that she can't wait for the next incarnation--it's different every year. ?

Hide contents

IMG_0146.thumb.JPG.78a68587a26abf16713c8c5d8cf35ee1.JPG

I fail to see anything wrong with that cake, except that I did not get a piece.

Leveling the dome on a "humped" cake is easiest if you do it before you take it out of the pan. That way you can lay a long knife blade across the rim of the cake pan and it will be perfectly level. Also, cakes sometimes get that dome for the same reason muffins and quick breads do--they've been over-mixed. Just stir the dry and liquid ingredients together enough, and gently, until the batter is consistent.

4 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

It’s been THREE YEARS AND THREE MONTHS DANGIT!!! 

7499FB5B-4075-4824-BD26-E6B8329A57E3.thumb.png.8c5b77365bf1015d4455dd72d23d8854.png

How, in the name of all that is efficient, is that an improvement over a chef's knife when you're in a hurry, or tearing up the lettuce with your hands when you aren't in a hurry?

I read one of her previous "Sweet" books, I don't recall which.   I think it was free on Amazon Prime several years back maybe?

I am not exaggerating, it was at least 50% bible verses.  It was a skimpy book anyway, as I recall, and even more so with all the scripture. Even if I was a Maxwell lover I wouldn't have been happy with the little actual writing Teri did.

I'm beginning to think all their "crazy busy" talk is bull.

"along with being a Titus2 mentor to countless."

Countless what, Sarah??? Wood beetles?

5 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I second bake-even strips.  The cakes do come out pretty flat and don’t need to be leveled (which saves some time), but more than anything you get more cake out of it because you’re not cutting a bunch off.  It fills out the pan more evenly so the portions are truer to the box/recipe. 

On 3/9/2019 at 5:20 PM, Hane said:

@Lisafer , the best and easiest non-confectioners’-sugar frosting is the chocolate ganache recipe I got from “The Cake Bible”: Grind up 12 ounces of bittersweet or semisweet chocolate in a food processor. Blend in 1 2/3 cups boiling heavy cream. Pour into a bowl and let it cool off. It will gradually thicken into the most sublime frosting ever.

”The Cake Bible” also has a heavenly recipe for mousseline buttercream, which involves beating egg whites and whipping melted sugar into it, then beating in softened butter and flavorings. It’s magnificent, but tricky and a rip-roaring pain in the @$$ to make. I only make it for people I REALLY love.

I am going to buy the Cake Bible right now.

eta: @Hane I just spent $80 on baking, cake and bread bibles.

20 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Hane,  I need some of those strips to help prevent doming, but I also need one of those cake splitter things which I think you can adjust to cut the dome off cakes.  I've got this wonderful recipe from Martha Stewart for a Zebra Cake.  Both times I've made it, I've cut the shit out of my hands from  trying to trim the dome off the cake.  The first time was worse and my daughter had to finish frosting the cake for me.  Blood does not enhance the taste of frosting.  

ETA:  I'd love to have a cake dome to eat right now.  

I cannot master my cutter. I totally make a mess!

If you have time you can freeze your cake and then cut the dome off of it while frozen. But most people don’t want to freeze their cake (I get it). If you ever find yourself with a cake you put in the freezer for a later date, cut the dome off with a sharp bread knife in a sawing motion. It’s a little easier that way. It’s also a great way to cut your cake into thin layers. 

1 hour ago, OhNoNike said:

I second bake-even strips.  The cakes do come out pretty flat and don’t need to be leveled (which saves some time), but more than anything you get more cake out of it because you’re not cutting a bunch off.  It fills out the pan more evenly so the portions are truer to the box/recipe. 

Ordered them just a bit ago--very pleased that they're in a lovely shade of lavender!

I'll report back at the end of the month with the results! I may do a test cake. It's necessary. For science.                                                                                                     :cupcake:

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived