IGNORED

Voter Suppression/Election Integrity

Howl

An interesting and disturbing thread:

• WTF 12

If they were Democrats or minorities, the Branch Trumpvidians would be screaming "lock them up":

• Upvote 10

This is sad:

• Upvote 3
  • Angry 2
  • Sad 5
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

This is sad:

Sad, and infuriating. It makes me feel quite ragey to see this blatant voter suppression.

• I Agree 8

• 3 weeks later...

Repugs are such hypocrites:

• Upvote 7

• 3 weeks later...

Virginia has taken a good step forward: "Virginia makes it easier for voters to track mail-in ballots"

Spoiler

With questions and concerns about mail-in ballots lingering ahead of November, Virginia is trying to make it easier for voters across the state to see exactly where their ballots are.

Under a new rule approved by the state’s elections board Tuesday, voters will be able to track their absentee ballots every step of the way, thanks to special U.S. Postal Service barcodes that will be used to show where ballots are as they go from a voter’s address to their local registrar’s office.

“It’s similar to package delivery tracking,” said James Heo, a policy adviser for Virginia’s Department of Elections. “We hope that it’ll actually bring a bit more assurance and faith in the system.”

Some local election boards in Virginia were already doing that for voters, but the new rule makes it a requirement statewide.

“We’re mandating that localities create unique identifiers to track each individual ballot,” Heo said. “The voter can track through a dashboard site that we’re providing to the public, while the registrar can track internally.”

Using the U.S. Postal Service barcodes aims to give voters a greater sense of where exactly their ballots are, as opposed to other mail-in systems where voters have less information.

For example, in Maryland, voters who cast a ballot through the mail have typically been notified only when their ballot has been received, leaving them in limbo until they get that notification.

“You can track your Amazon package and you can track your mail, so you should be able to track this stuff,” said Heo.

In an abrupt reversal Tuesday, President Donald Trump encouraged voters in the critical swing state of Florida to vote by mail after months of criticizing the practice.

White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany rejected the notion that the Republican president changed his views. She said Trump supports absentee voting by mail for a specific reason, as opposed to states mailing out ballots to all voters regardless of whether they requested them.

Most election officials say there is little effective difference between absentee voting and voting by mail.

• Upvote 7

As usual, the bulk of election fraud comes from the repugs and associated jerks.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 7

So now twitler's crony at the USPS is trying to get states to spend more for mailing ballots:

• Angry 1
  • Disgust 2
  • WTF 6

Wow. This is what happens when the entire administration is corrupt:

• Upvote 1
  • Angry 4
  • WTF 3

19 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Wow. This is what happens when the entire administration is corrupt:

They really are frantically desperate, aren't they? This is more evidence that they know they have a snowball's chance in hell of winning if they don't cheat and tamper and suppress voting as much as they possibly can.

Free and fair elections are their mortal enemy.

Case in point:

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 2
  • Thank You 2

5 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

They really are frantically desperate, aren't they? This is more evidence that they know they have a snowball's chance in hell of winning if they don't cheat and tamper and suppress voting as much as they possibly can.

Free and fair elections are their mortal enemy.

Case in point:

Dude literally just said "we don't want to have voting rights". 

They're not even trying to be sneaky about it!

I'm planning to vote in person if at all possible. Just in case. 

And if there is widespread mail-in voting, and Trump wins? I'm betting somebody will find big piles of uncounted ballots sitting around in post offices someday. Anything postmarked from a blue area might just disappear.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5

Meadows is such a tool:

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 4

"Tennessee adopts new law that could strip some protesters of voting rights"

Spoiler

Tennessee protesters could now lose their right to vote under a new law Gov. Bill Lee (R) signed with little fanfare Thursday.

Protesters who camp out on state property, such as the activists who have demonstrated for months outside the state Capitol against racial injustice, could now face felony charges punishable by up to six years in prison. Convicted felons are automatically stripped of their voting rights in Tennessee.

The new law, which went into effect immediately, outraged civil rights groups, who say the move is Tennessee’s latest attempt to repress voting ahead of the November elections.

“The racial motivation underlying the law is undeniable,” said Kristen Clarke, president of the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law. “It’s a clear backlash response to the Black Lives Matter movement and to people who are decisively protesting racial injustice and police violence.”

Clarke said her organization is considering a sweeping lawsuit addressing all the ways she believes Tennessee Republicans are trying to suppress and intimidate voters.

“To criminalize protest activity and disenfranchise voters on top of it defies principles that lie at the heart of our Constitution,” she said. “It’s pouring fuel on the fire when communities are seeking justice, change and reform.”

Tennessee is among the states not allowing voters to use fear of the novel coronavirus as a reason to vote by mail. In the state, it is a crime to distribute mail-in ballot applications. Last year, a federal judge blocked a new Tennessee law that sought to restrict voter registration drives.

Lee didn’t announce the signing or post about it on social media. Asked about the law during a state coronavirus news briefing Thursday, he said: “I think what we saw was a courthouse on fire and businesses being broken into and vehicles being damaged. We saw lawlessness that needed to be addressed immediately. And that was done so,” according to the Associated Press.

The new law also imposes mandatory minimum jail sentences for assaulting a first responder or participating in a riot. It also enhances penalties for vandalism of government property.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Tennessee sent a letter to Lee on Aug. 14 imploring him not to sign the legislation, writing that it “attacks our free speech rights, intentionally chilling the act of protesting by threatening those individuals with overly harsh criminal penalties.”

State Sen. Raumesh Akbari (D) tweeted Saturday that the legislation would have made the late civil rights leaders John Lewis and the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. “convicted felons.”

“We serve the people and should hear from the people,” she wrote. “This is ridiculous.”

Repug administrations are so disgusting.

• Upvote 1
  • Angry 2
  • WTF 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

The repugs will stop at nothing...

• Angry 2
  • Disgust 1
  • WTF 6
  • Love 1

This is infuriating:

• WTF 8
  • Love 1

I received a mail-in ballot application in the mail. Actually, there's two applications, and the flyer is addressed to "THE (my surname) HOUSEHOLD OR CURRENT RESIDENT". It's from some outfit calling themselves Common Sense Voters For America. A few "good" Trump talking points and a few "bad" Biden ones are highlighted, and I'm instructed to "learn where the candidates stand on the issues", "then vote my Pennsylvania values" because "the winner will make decisions that impact Pennsylvania for years to come". 

The Republicans are all upset about anyone and everyone getting a ballot, whether they "deserve" one or not. Well, I didn't ask for an application or two, or a smug pic of Trump and Pence with American flag lapel pins, or a slightly confused Biden, sans lapel pin.

• Disgust 2
  • WTF 7

Got another flyer from another organization, again with two mail-in applications. Again addressed to the (surname) household or current resident. This one doesn’t mention Biden at all.

Maybe I should start a collection and see how many flyers I get before November.

• Upvote 5

• 1 month later...

Twitler and Biden are in a statistical tie (according to polls) in GA. So what does GA do? Install brand new untested software in their voting machines.

• Angry 1
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 9

• 2 weeks later...

The repugs are slipping to a new low:

• WTF 10

I filled out my ballot, and will take it to a legitimate drop box near me. I even signed up for ballot tracking, so I'll know when the elections office receives it, and when they count it on Election Day. Just got too pissed off to wait until early voting starts, plus the boxes are clearly marked and on city or county property.

• Upvote 5

Of course the repugs in charge in GA don't want to make it easier to vote.

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 2