• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
samurai_sarah

JRod88: Better Kierkegaard than Kardashian

daisyjane1234

So full disclosure here.  I haven't watched whatever video Jill has posted alleging that tragedies are caused directly by God, nor do I plan to.

But I have to wonder, by Jill's logic her sister experienced the hand of an intentional God.  

For the record, I don't believe this theology whatsoever. I find most of Jill's theology simplistic and flawed.  In fact such theology pisses me off.   I have a profoundly disabled child and have heard similar comments from "well-meaning" Christians more than I can share.  But I am curious about Jill's theological gymnastics.  If other people's tragedies are a result of God's divine retribution, what sense does she make of Amy's injury.

Edited by daisyjane1234
  • Upvote 27
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

Spent
potato

Hello, fellow Pokemon Go FJers!  I'm tempted to ask to exchange friend codes so we can send each other gifts, but I don't want to make it feel like we're giving away personal information.  

Go Team Mystic!

bird
28 minutes ago, potato said:

Hello, fellow Pokemon Go FJers!  I'm tempted to ask to exchange friend codes so we can send each other gifts, but I don't want to make it feel like we're giving away personal information.  

Go Team Mystic!

There's a Pokemon go thread in games. A fellow FJ Pokemon player agreed to be a friend for my little boy who plays on my phone. He gets so excited to get gifts from a different country! He now always tries to choose a gift from a "fancy" location to send back. The local playground isn't good enough. 

Meh
Dandruff
1 hour ago, daisyjane1234 said:

If other people's tragedies are a result of God's divine retribution, what sense does she make of Amy's injury.

I'll guess she sees it as a challenge from the Lord, and the fact that it was Good Friday supports the fantasy.  What I find most ironic is that Amy and her family were on the road that late because Kevin had a job (no pun intended) but they wanted to get to WVa in time for the family to celebrate the crucifixion together.

Pecansforeveryone

There is definitely a school of thought that God sends hardships and tragedies to test our faith and (this one always made me vomit) "glorify him." I can do without such a God. With friends like that, who needs enemies. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 3

Waffle Time
catlady

@Naga Viper, i don't play Pokemon Go, and i don't even fully understand it, but that's so funny i snorted and startled the cat! 

Edited by catlady
laptop is wonky and there were some weird emoji's in there
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

EmmieJ

So if God causes bad things to happen to sinful people, what does that mean in conjunction with Janessa's likely health issues?  Is God displeased with Jill and David?  Why isn't God putting  any GYMs in Nurie's path?  Why isn't God placing it on more people's hearts to financially support Jill and David?  

Jill, could it be that God is greatly displeased with you and David, and telling you so repeatedly?

Or, maybe you and David are so weird, so generally unpleasant to be around, and have raised sad, underfed, under-educated, poorly socialized children that even your fellow fundies do not want any permanent association with you.  

I'm going with option B, but if there is a diety, I'm certain she's thoroughly disgusted with you.

Closed Womb

To recap, I think Jill keeps bringing up how awesomely sinless Amy is, and how perfectly godly and submissive Nurie is, and how righteous she is, because she has long believed God is punishing people with bad events.  Now that she (and her family) are having bad luck, she’s panicking and insisting that they are perfect in all ways, when she has likely always judged others misfortunes as consequences of sin.   

She’s answering questions no kind and normal person would ask; because SHE wonders about those things, she assumes we do, too.  

My question: does she, deep down, believe Amy and Nurie are harboring some sin(s)?  She’s GOT to know she’s a sinner, right?  Does the lady protest too much?  

I’m glad to have never known Jill Rodrigues!

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

HarryPotterFan

I really thought it was a basic fundie belief that only Jesus is without sin. But Jill thinks she is without sin. She thinks she’s on the same level as Jesus, which seems super sacreligious. 

JermajestyDuggar

A former RF member (Gwen Shambling church) said in their group, the people in bad standing with the church (overweight or some other obvious issue) would have bad things happening to them and it was always due to all the sins they were committing. But the members in very good standing with the church (thin people who did everything the RF way) were just being tested by Satan when anything bad happened in their lives. 

• Upvote 18
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Waffle Time
mango_fandango
1 hour ago, Naga Viper said:

All right, I'll be the one to do it.

IMG_1339.PNG.9aa350ed4b241f9a9763ed95df0dfc9e.PNG

I’m dying laughing here!! :worship:

• Haha 1
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Prepperjack

If Jill or David worked, they would realize that NotDeadTim should be making friends and contacts while at Moody.  I can’t imagine the world of missions pilots is very big.  Getting to know his fellow students and professors through friendship, volunteer opportunities, internships and so on will help him get a job later.  

Shoot, he could actually meet a helpmeet, who could, you know, actually help him.  A missions board would be much more likely to send an educated, trained married team then one pilot and his barely educated teenage wife. 

Happy
Griftthatkeepsongrifting
53 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

Jill, could it be that God is greatly displeased with you and David, and telling you so repeatedly?

I like to believe God looks and acts like "the Dude" in The Big Lebowski. Whenever Jill starts expounding the greatness that is the Rods or disparages the smelly, sluttish people (known as non-Rods) "Dude God" adjusts his sunglasses, takes a swig of white Russian and zaps Jill with a green bean can, non-working computer monitor, or the like.

All this time Jill thinks it's Satan trying to stop her when it's really God protecting the rest of us.

Jill, even God thinks you're an ass.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 35
  • Love 3

Meh
Dandruff
1 hour ago, Closed Womb said:

My question: does she, deep down, believe Amy and Nurie are harboring some sin(s)?  She’s GOT to know she’s a sinner, right?  Does the lady protest too much?

She does protest too much.  I think Jill's general rule is that anything bad that happens isn't her fault, but now that misfortune is happening close to her she's starting to worry.  It's a lot easier to believe in BS cause-and-effect scenarios when they're happening at a distance vs. close to home where folks might be able to really blame you for the cause and/or the effect.  Such as a daughter who has been raised to be perfect but doesn't have charming suitors regularly begging for a chance.  And if Jill is to blame, then perhaps she's wondering whether some massive comeuppance is waiting for her around the corner.

I don't know if she thinks that Amy and Nurie are harboring secret sins, but I wouldn't be surprised if she has asked them.

MarblesMom
8 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

harboring secret sins

We have to work this into FJ somehow.... gold.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 4

Depressed
Sky with diamonds
3 hours ago, Naga Viper said:

All right, I'll be the one to do it.

IMG_1339.PNG.9aa350ed4b241f9a9763ed95df0dfc9e.PNG

Oh my sweet Rufus. I'm crying because I'm laughing so much. 😂

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 5
  • Thank You 1

Rachel333
5 hours ago, daisyjane1234 said:

So full disclosure here.  I haven't watched whatever video Jill has posted alleging that tragedies are caused directly by God, nor do I plan to.

But I have to wonder, by Jill's logic her sister experienced the hand of an intentional God.  

For the record, I don't believe this theology whatsoever. I find most of Jill's theology simplistic and flawed.  In fact such theology pisses me off.   I have a profoundly disabled child and have heard similar comments from "well-meaning" Christians more than I can share.  But I am curious about Jill's theological gymnastics.  If other people's tragedies are a result of God's divine retribution, what sense does she make of Amy's injury.

Usually the explanation is that it's a way to glorify God, which seems consistent with the way they're using the story of Amy's injury as part of their ministry.

I really hate the theology that God directly causes bad things to happen to people. My own family have always had more of a "shit happens" philosophy where tragedies are just a part of life and not inflicted directly by God. It still has its logical inconsistencies with the belief in an omniscient, omnipotent, omnibenevolent god, but I still think it's preferable to believing that God is directly causing suffering.

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

DarkAnts

I think Jill guilt trips Timothy all the time. That’s why he is always on the phone and sending gifts. She makes him feel guilty for not being with her. He may be on the other side of the country but she still finds ways to abuse him.  

• Upvote 22
  • Sad 5
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 3

Happy
Carm_88

Well Jill is still an awful human being. Some things never change. 

Tired
FecundFundieFundus

As far as Tim-Bits' real life personality... He might genuinely be a giant pill. Teenagers frequently are anyway and he's been abused his whole life. I'm sure he is carrying a lot of weight around in his soul with no outlet just yet. Hopefully he'll find some way to distance himself from Jill and Dave's fundie crazy train, but I'm not shocked he's still thoroughly enmeshed and hasn't ditched their toxic thought processes/ideas. 

Unrelated, but thank you to the recappers and Jill, patron saint of pointless drama for making my really terrible no good day a little better. Bitches are just eating crackers ALL OVER THE PLACE today and I want to set all their Saltines on fire and yell at each bitch in turn. 

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 8
  • Love 9

Meh
Dandruff
1 hour ago, DarkAnts said:

I think Jill guilt trips Timothy all the time. That’s why he is always on the phone and sending gifts. She makes him feel guilty for not being with her. He may be on the other side of the country but she still finds ways to abuse him.  

Agree.  I think she's trying to control him from afar and guilt tripping has proven effective.  I suspect it's school, work, and church, and she's on the phone with him in between.  That way, if he happens to take an interest in a girl (imagine Jill as a MIL...), or wants to try non-religious music or a book, or wants to hang out with people who aren't KJV 24/7, she can discourage it quickly. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1