• Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
gustava

Southern Baptist & Decades of Sexual Abuse

Unimpressed
Palimpsest
15 minutes ago, danvillebelle said:

is there a list of names of perpetrators somewhere?  

https://projects.houstonchronicle.com/2019/southern-baptist-abuse/

You can search the database by state or scroll through for links to the crime and news stories.

Mcnapple
On 2/11/2019 at 1:07 PM, usedbicycle said:

Rhetorical question: Is there a religion run exclusively by men that is free of sex scandals?

I'm just weary of patriarchal organized religion as a whole now. It's way too easy for men in power to manipulate and abuse with zero consequences for them.

Another one that isn't well-known is Jehovah Witnesses, very patriarchal church (sure, they will let women go door to door to spread their gospel to infidels, but inside their church, they are not even allowed to directions to a new-comer looking for the bathroom.) They have had a massive cover-up and protection of pedophiles, it's covered pretty well in the Wikipedia article "Jehovah's Witnesses' handling of child sex abuse"

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 1

zee_four
1 hour ago, Mcnapple said:

Another one that isn't well-known is Jehovah Witnesses, very patriarchal church (sure, they will let women go door to door to spread their gospel to infidels, but inside their church, they are not even allowed to directions to a new-comer looking for the bathroom.) They have had a massive cover-up and protection of pedophiles, it's covered pretty well in the Wikipedia article "Jehovah's Witnesses' handling of child sex abuse"

Ugh JW. My auntie passed away in her 30s from breast cancer. Diagnosed when she was 32 in the mid 90s, super late stage since she was breastfeeding my infant cousins and the doctors kept saying it was just clogged mill ducts. Anyway she went into remission but got sick again and died after having to quit her job, move to the city hours away because at the time our hospital didnt even have an oncologist.

Point is her sisters were all JW by this point. They and their whole families refused to step foot in the church for her funeral. My mom, whose younger half brother was married to her was sooooo upset since she lost her mother very very young like my cousins and had a bunch of family crap. Like my mom was upset when she passed but then when my aunties mom was devastated her youngest daughter was dead and none of her other daughters or grandchildren would come... they literally stood outside and made a big deal it was awful.

JW are not well liked in our family needless to say.

Waffle Time
Hane
15 hours ago, Briefly said:

Several of my relatives were SBC.  I'm mainly referring to the older generations that are mainly gone now.  One of my cousins married a Catholic.  You would have thought that Armageddon was happening in that branch of the family.  It was not pretty.  The cousin married him anyway, but it was dicey.  Quite a few of her family members boycotted the wedding.

I think in many ways, the anti-Catholic bias in the SBC/BC is probably generational. 

This happened to my parents. My dad’s family was Catholic when they came here from Italy in the 1910s, but converted to ABC because the local Catholic pastor was an Italian-hating SOB and an Italian Baptist minister came to the neighborhood and was kind and helpful. When Dad met Mom (who was Catholic), he felt drawn to the Catholic Church and firmly believed that a “gentleman” deferred to his wife’s religion; he also wanted his whole family to attend the same church on Sundays. His entire family boycotted their wedding.  As recently as the ‘70s, one of my Baptist aunts made her displeasure known when her Baptist son and his Catholic wife considered joining their neighborhood’s Congregational church as a sort of religious compromise.

Spent
Briefly

The SBC church we attended sporadically when I was a kid, the one I eventually joined and was baptised into as a teen, the church I was married in (our first wedding), was SBC but it was fairly tame.  The pastor was a very good friend of my dad's and dad eventually started attending then we all gradually started going with him.  The pastor was also one of the nicest people I've ever met.  He would be appalled that any of that happened, and I can not even begin to imagine how angry my dad would be.

That church is why I originally suggested we visit an SBC church when we were starting our fundy mistake.  It took me a while before I realized how different the SBC had become.  Or it's possible that the first church was the different one and the SBC was always hard line.  Although it's much harder lined now at any rate.

EowynW

Calvinists are also a different kind of arrogant. It's hard to explain. They're more sophisticated & smart sounding. And more cruel. Maybe because they're so sure of their precious elected status. 

hoipolloi

More fallout.

Now, Al Mohler (head of the SBTS in Louisville, KY) and Danny Akin (head of SEBTS in Wake Forest, NC) both say that they regret supporting CJ Mahaney:

A leading Southern Baptist figure on Thursday apologized for supporting a religious leader who was accused of helping conceal sexual abuses at his former church, and for making a joke that he said downplayed the severity of the allegations....In an interview with the Houston Chronicle, Al Mohler said for the first time publicly that he regrets his embrace of C.J. Mahaney, the former leader of the non-Southern Baptist group Sovereign Grace Ministries, now known as Sovereign Grace Churches...."I believe in retrospect I erred in being part of a statement supportive of (Mahaney) and rather dismissive of the charges," Mohler said. "And I regret that action, which I think was taken without due regard to the claims made by the victims and survivors at the time, and frankly without an adequate knowledge on my part, for which I'm responsible."...Another Southern Baptist seminary president, Danny Akin, expressed similar regrets in an interview with the Chronicle Thursday.

EowynW

Oh like hell Mohler is "sorry!" That is a bunch of BS! People have been talking to him about this for years! 

hoipolloi
5 hours ago, EowynW said:

Oh like hell Mohler is "sorry!" That is a bunch of BS! People have been talking to him about this for years! 

ITA. This is a calculated move, devoid of any real empathy, repentance, or shame. 

These fuckwads -- Al Mohler, Danny Akin, and all their SBC buddies -- are only interested in power and keeping power. 

Julie Anne, at SSB, has a post on this with a link to the Wartburg Watch's 2016 post on Mohler's "joke."

EowynW

i thought y'all might find this documentary about the SBC takeover interesting.