IGNORED

LGBT perspective: Chris Pratt + Hillsong Church

Howl

21 hours ago, SecularMusic said:

In the fundie church that I used to be a part of it began before trump was elected. Members started reposting a "prophetic word" about how God was doing to use him like a "trumpet" to bring Americans back to their Christian roots.

once the election results were in, they started posting about how it was obviously God's will and that he had godly favor. Interestingly, they never said that when Obama was elected.

One of Mr. Briefly's aunts posts so much stuff about trump and how he's the savior of America, gonna bring us back to where we need to be, you name it and she's probably posted it!  I quit following her page shortly after the election and almost never actually look at her page anyway. She posts a lot of memes and most of them are things that have been debunked or are obviously false.  But there is no convincing her, she is a true believer.

As far as Chris's go, Chris Evans (Capt. America), then Chris Helmsworth (Love me some Thor and I have Viking ancestry so I kind of have to like him!) then Chris Pine barely.  I have never been a Chris Pratt fan and absolutely can NOT stand the Guardians movies, except for Stan Lee's cameos.

• Upvote 2

@Terrie & @JermajestyDuggar -- thank you! VERY helpful info.

Re: all the 1980s kids named Chris. As a schoolgirl in the 1960s, I was in one classroom with eight Debbies and in another with seven Cindys. Plus ça change and all that.

Re: Chad Veach. Hadn't heard of him or his franchises churches, but the NYT article from last year says he's a friend of Joel Osteen's. Veach's father is a FourSquare Gospel preacher in WA state and Chad went to "Bible College in San Dimas" which is presumably the FourSquare Gospel's Life Pacific College, founded by none other than Aimee Semple McPherson.

With a legacy like that, Chad Veach is as fundie as they come.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, Briefly said:

As far as Chris's go, Chris Evans (Capt. America), then Chris Helmsworth (Love me some Thor and I have Viking ancestry so I kind of have to like him!) then Chris Pine barely.  I have never been a Chris Pratt fan and absolutely can NOT stand the Guardians movies, except for Stan Lee's cameos.

Hm. I'd have to put Evans below Hemsworth in the order of Chrises, because Thor! I feel about Captain America the way Tony Stark did when he said, "Sometimes I'd like to punch you in your perfect teeth." I don't know much about Chris Pratt and even less about Chris Pine, except that he was in that trainwreck A Wrinkle in Time. 

I have seen the second Guardian movie and found it ok. Better than either of the Ant-Man movies, anyway. I'm more up on the main Avengers storyline than the Guardians, though. 

• Upvote 3

@Lisafer, you're right about the movie of A Winkle in Time being a trainwreck!  I took my granddaughter to see it and was extremely disappointed.  I read the book when I was in 6th grade and re-read it before I saw this dreck.  It was abominable!

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

A Winkle in Time 

Please don't explain what the movie is about. I'm sure I don't want to know! Unless it's a story about edible molluscs. ?

I would have put Christ Pratt as top Chris, but his recent antics have shunted him down to 4th. It makes me sad. Chris Hemsworth is now #1 Chris on my list. Chris Pine and Chris Evans can wrestle it out (maybe in mud or jelly?) for 2nd and 3rd.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Haha 9

7 hours ago, Lisafer said:

except that he was in that trainwreck A Wrinkle in Time. 

That movie took such a good book and destroyed the entire plot! People who loved the book hated it because the totally changed everything and people who hadn't read the book struggled to follow the super confusing plot. What were they thinking?! I saw it with my husband who has knew nothing about the book and he left the movie asking me to explain it too him. I realize they can't stick every book detail into a movie, but I can't stand it when they think they can rewrite a classic book. 

Zoe church seems to be staying silent on their beliefs, so I am going to assume at this point they are anti-gay but don't want to admit it in public. I wonder if Chris Pratt actually went to the pastor and asked the church stance on homosexuality. 

Edited by formergothardite
  • Upvote 8
  • Love 1

On 2/13/2019 at 10:04 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

If this story was about Chris and a shelter kitty instead of a shelter dog, my panties would have just fallen off. 

For real. 

21 hours ago, Terrie said:

Chris Pine helps you learn your Chrises:

Hide contents

This just skyrocketed him up the list 

10 hours ago, Katzchen24 said:

Chris Pine and Chris Evans can wrestle it out (maybe in mud or jelly?) for 2nd and 3rd.

Chocolate, that way I can lick it off of them.

I think I just went too far... :pb_lol:

Edited by HarryPotterFan
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 12
  • Love 2

I've been saying Pratt wasn't worthy of being included in the "hot Chris" category for years so I feel a bit vindicated. :pb_lol:

There was that blind item about him calling Tom Holland a homophobic slur during filming of Infinity War. 

Yeah, being part of a homophobic church makes sense .

• Upvote 8

19 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I've been saying Pratt wasn't worthy of being included in the "hot Chris" category for years so I feel a bit vindicated. :pb_lol:

There was that blind item about him calling Tom Holland a homophobic slur during filming of Infinity War. 

Yeah, being part of a homophobic church makes sense .

Blind items aren't necessarily true. While looking for it, I came across an actual quote from Tom Holland calling Chris Pratt a really sweet guy and one that he really liked being around. So hopefully the blind item was just bullshit.

I have no doubt Pratt's church has homophobic beliefs, though. 

• Upvote 8

I know we are doing the Battle of the Chrises. Chris Pine easily wins that for me. I have a definite thing for Tom Holland. He has a lot of humor, charm, and talent beyond acting. He nailed the All-American hero as a Brit, no less. Thanks @Lisafer for posting Tom Holland's actual thoughts on Chris Pratt. 

@HarryPotterFan, no, you did not go to far. 

Edited by Pecansforeveryone
  • Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I have a definite thing for Tom Holland. He has a lot of humor, charm, and talent beyond acting. He nailed the All-American hero as a Brit, no less.

I don't generally feel attracted to guys as young as Tom Holland, but I find him adorable and charming, like a sweet nephew. I want to pinch his cheeks and feed him cookies!

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, formergothardite said:

That movie took such a good book and destroyed the entire plot! People who loved the book hated it because the totally changed everything and people who hadn't read the book struggled to follow the super confusing plot. What were they thinking?! I saw it with my husband who has knew nothing about the book and he left the movie asking me to explain it too him. I realize they can't stick every book detail into a movie, but I can't stand it when they think they can rewrite a classic book. 

IMO Wrinkle in Time is a book that's nearly impossible to translate into film. There's so much vivid imagery involved and scenes that are only really possible in the imagination, ya know? 

With that being said, I actually really like the movie. I definitely wish they would've focused on various plotlines differently and not left out parts (i.e., Aunt Beast), but I like that they made the cast more multi-ethnic and modernized the time period. And I LOVE how vibrant and colorful each scene is. 

I just hope the movie inspired people to read the book. :)

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I hope this conversation calls out other celebrities supporting homophobic churches. Attendance is one thing. Financial support is another story entirely. If Chris Pratt really is so passionate about his church, he is probably tithing to it as church leaders command you to do so. On his salary, that's a lot of financial support. So he is complicit and enabling of his church even if he doesn't share some of their views. For that same reason, I can't give a pass to Chip and Joanna Gaines on their undoubted considerable financial support of their homophobic church. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

Wrinkle is a rather dense book, which makes it difficult to recreate in film. I enjoyed the interpretation created, even without Aunt Beast and with the different presentation of IT. I did like that Meg saw a glimpse of what her "enemies" were dealing with, and she felt empathy for them.

And Pine is at rank 2.5; not quite as amazing as Hemsworth, but not terrible either.

• I Agree 2

Tom Holland is too pure for this world. 

As much as I love Chris Hemsworth and find him the most attractive Chris, I think ultimately Chris Evans is the best Chris because he is passionate and vocal, and is never afraid to speak up where others remain silent. 

• Upvote 10

Another movie adaptation of a book that was an absolute monstrosity: Ella Enchanted. I loved that book and the movie changed so much it wasn’t the same story. And they added so much corny and weird stuff. Just no. I’m still angry about it.

• Upvote 2

Count me among those who are diehard L'Engle fans (annual re-reads of many of her books) AND who liked the Wrinkle In Time movie. I thought that it did justice to the characters' natures & behaviors, as described in the book. That said, it's a tough book to portray on screen, no matter what.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

On 2/11/2019 at 6:35 PM, Hane said:

A large local recreational venue, formerly used for business gatherings, weddings, school celebrations, etc., was recently acquired by an evangelical group called New Life.

Its website gives a heartwarming little story about Will Marotti, his wife, and half a dozen friends starting a cozy little ministry in a former drug store—a “church for people who don’t like church.” In short order, it absorbed two local congregations, started having services at a large entertainment venue, and bought the recreational facility.

It leaves out the fact that they have definite Falwell roots, and that their founder and pastor is best buds with our ousted Republican governor John Rowland,  who was convicted twice on felony counts of fraud and spent a term in the slammer, where Marotti became his “spiritual advisor.” The two of them had a radio show called “Church and State.”

Not long ago, a friend told me that her granddaughter “Mia” had a friend at my UU church, and asked me to make her welcome if she should visit. I readily agreed, but never happened to see her there. It turns out that my friend was mistaken—Mia was attending the New Life Not-a-Church.  She told her grandma she liked the feeling of inclusiveness, but was uncomfortable because it was expected that all members hold certain core beliefs. Now that my friend is moving back to town and intends to visit my UU church, we’re hoping Mia will visit, too.

Ugh, anything connected with Rowland skeeves me right out.   I was quite disenchanted when his arrogant ass won every time it did.  

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, Lisafer said:

Blind items aren't necessarily true. While looking for it, I came across an actual quote from Tom Holland calling Chris Pratt a really sweet guy and one that he really liked being around. So hopefully the blind item was just bullshit.

I have no doubt Pratt's church has homophobic beliefs, though. 

Considering the way he presented himself before all of this, I believed it. 

Chris "White middle class men aren't represented!" Pratt. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, Granwych said:

Ugh, anything connected with Rowland skeeves me right out.   I was quite disenchanted when his arrogant ass won every time it did.  

And it was swell being stuck with him as congressman, too, when he succeeded Ratchford. During his tenure, I handled federal accounts at the phone company, often running in lines for security systems on behalf of the FBI and WHCA. Apparently the GOP foresaw bigger and better things in his future political career (judging from jobs I did that involved him) until they didn’t and he wound up governor. 

Unsubstantiated gossip: My daughter’s high school cheerleading coach was besties with his first wife. Apparently he committed domestic violence against her and it got hushed up. One of the police officers who responded to the complaint got a big promotion. We think Rowland bought his then-wife’s silence. There was also some chat about a young woman suddenly appointed to a prestigious post in a certain state agency; word had it that she was his side piece.

Hey, we also have Joe Ganim, a Bridgeport mayor who spent time in the slammer for corruption, but managed to get back into office. He keeps trying to get nominated as Democratic candidate for governor. 

At least my congressional district is now represented by Jahana Hayes!

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

21 hours ago, Lisafer said:

Hm. I'd have to put Evans below Hemsworth in the order of Chrises, because Thor! I feel about Captain America the way Tony Stark did when he said, "Sometimes I'd like to punch you in your perfect teeth." I don't know much about Chris Pratt and even less about Chris Pine, except that he was in that trainwreck A Wrinkle in Time. 

I have seen the second Guardian movie and found it ok. Better than either of the Ant-Man movies, anyway. I'm more up on the main Avengers storyline than the Guardians, though. 

It's actually a toss up between Thor Chris and Captain America Chris. It changes on a daily basis.  I don't really care for Chris Pine all that much and I never really liked Chris Pratt.  Now, with Pratt's choice in churches I like him even less.

• Upvote 2