IGNORED

LGBT perspective: Chris Pratt + Hillsong Church

Howl

12 minutes ago, Briefly said:

It's actually a toss up between Thor Chris and Captain America Chris. It changes on a daily basis.  I don't really care for Chris Pine all that much and I never really liked Chris Pratt.  Now, with Pratt's choice in churches I like him even less.

Chris Pine is in a new series I really want to watch. It’s called “I am the Night.” We don’t have cable anymore though. Just Netflix, Hulu and amazon. 

• Upvote 3

I love Chris Pine only because he seems completely aware of his Hollywood hipster douche traits and instead of dialing it down, dials it up to 11. Especially in the trek interviews with Zach Quinto - so much intentional pretentious b.s. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, lexiloumarie said:

I love Chris Pine only because he seems completely aware of his Hollywood hipster douche traits and instead of dialing it down, dials it up to 11. Especially in the trek interviews with Zach Quinto - so much intentional pretentious b.s. 

Zachary Quinto was in the last half of the final season of Kimmie Schmidt and his character is great. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 5

7 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Considering the way he presented himself before all of this, I believed it. 

Chris "White middle class men aren't represented!" Pratt. 

When was this? 

Just ugh. Do better, Chris.

2 hours ago, lexiloumarie said:

He seems to have fun with it and has fun with being mixed up with the other Chrises. I love when people are just able to have fun with something that could drive others insane. Or when celebrities can laugh at themselves and be kind to fans.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

I'm late but this whole Chris Pratt thing so bear with me. To me, he's your standard hipster Christian. If anything, I'd say he's less righteous than usual because he frequently swears and shows his body. 

The fact is that most churches are anti-LGBTQ at least in doctrine, and probably in practice. It's usually subtle and well-crafted. For a lot of these congregants, it's in the back of their minds and you only truly see the gross homophobia until LGBTQ issues stare them in the face and they are forced to respond. 

Whoever mentioned churches being surprised at being called out for homophobia is correct. It's really amazing how much is not said. To them, it's not their focus on conscious intent so they don't think they are. 

Personal example: the new church my family has been attending is independent Baptist. Their doctrine is extremely conservative and traditional. They use Focus on the Family material, the pastor is a founding member of Liberty University, only men are deacons. But they don't say explicitly problematic things. They stay far away from politics or other contentious topics. Their emphasis is making sure your soul is saved. It creates a lot of cognitive dissonance because on surface-level it's a diverse church with nice people who don't seem hateful or zealous at all. I question myself for being so skeptical and critical of them. But then I remember their doctrine and all the things they don't say. 

Btw: The best Chris is Chris Evans as jaded Captain America with a beard. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

All the Chris’s were born between 1979 and 1983. I looked up the most popular baby boy names in the late 70s and early 80s. Christopher was #2 for years! No wonder I knew so many Chris’s my age.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

The fact is that most churches are anti-LGBTQ at least in doctrine, and probably in practice.

Maybe, but there are many who aren't. So I are perfectly comfortable judging someone who attends a church of bigotry, no matter how "polite" they are about it.

• Upvote 10

33 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

The fact is that most churches are anti-LGBTQ at least in doctrine, and probably in practice.

Yeah, without an explicit "we are open and affirming" declaration, I would assume the opposite. I have indeed seen churches making that declaration. Sometimes individual congregations decide to be open and affirming despite the official stance of their denomination, it's like that in the RCA.

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Pianokeeper said:

Y'all can have the dude; I want the sweet fuzzly dog.   Lookit that tum-tum! The widdle pawsie!! The ear floofle!!!!

I'll take both, but if I HAD to chose.... C'mere Dodger!

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

This is on the webpage of the Anglican Cathedral (of which diocese our smaller Anglican Church is part of) in Montreal. 

The Anglican Church in this area is a strong supporter of LGTBQIA rights, and I am thankful for our community. 

IMG_2411.PNG

• Upvote 7
  • Love 10

12 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Do we set up some sort of shared custody/sister wife type schedule or what?

You can have 55%, I'll take 45%. I need my autonomy. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Do we set up some sort of shared custody/sister wife type schedule or what?

I can't share him. I'm sorry.

Seriously, I have not had this bad of a celebrity crush since seventh grade. His presence in the world has negatively affected my dating life because of comparisons. 

The next two guys on my Fuckit List can't even hold a candle. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6

18 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

When was this? 

Just ugh. Do better, Chris.

He ended up admitting what he said was stupid but only after a lot of  back lash. He didn't feel like there are enough Hollywood parts to represent white, blue collar men, even though he got fame playing a part like that and there are a gazillion movies about white blue collar workers. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/chris-pratt-admits-hes-pretty-stupid-for-blue-collar-americans-comment_us_58fcf3cce4b00fa7de152734

• Upvote 5

So, basically, like plenty of white men of strictly average intelligence, he's not able to look past his own nose and relate to anyone who's not exactly like him. Completely in line with his view that because his church is nice to HIM, they can't be homophobic.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

I'm late but this whole Chris Pratt thing so bear with me. To me, he's your standard hipster Christian. If anything, I'd say he's less righteous than usual because he frequently swears and shows his body. 

The fact is that most churches are anti-LGBTQ at least in doctrine, and probably in practice. It's usually subtle and well-crafted. For a lot of these congregants, it's in the back of their minds and you only truly see the gross homophobia until LGBTQ issues stare them in the face and they are forced to respond. 

Whoever mentioned churches being surprised at being called out for homophobia is correct. It's really amazing how much is not said. To them, it's not their focus on conscious intent so they don't think they are. 

Personal example: the new church my family has been attending is independent Baptist. Their doctrine is extremely conservative and traditional. They use Focus on the Family material, the pastor is a founding member of Liberty University, only men are deacons. But they don't say explicitly problematic things. They stay far away from politics or other contentious topics. Their emphasis is making sure your soul is saved. It creates a lot of cognitive dissonance because on surface-level it's a diverse church with nice people who don't seem hateful or zealous at all. I question myself for being so skeptical and critical of them. But then I remember their doctrine and all the things they don't say. 

Btw: The best Chris is Chris Evans as jaded Captain America with a beard. 

Not all churches are anti-LGBTQ,  Obviously, quite a few of them are and the percentage is probably very high.  But not all of them.  The United Methodist church I belong to, for example, is very welcoming.  However, that does not mean that all UM churches are going to be.  The Methodist Church in general has been heading in the direction of a doctrinal split for a few years and will probably get there sooner or later.  The Presbyterian church went through that a few years back and quite a few individual churches split with their governing body.

7 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Yeah, without an explicit "we are open and affirming" declaration, I would assume the opposite. I have indeed seen churches making that declaration. Sometimes individual congregations decide to be open and affirming despite the official stance of their denomination, it's like that in the RCA.

The fact that my United Methodist church had the open and affirming thing happening when we belonged to it first was what made Mr. Briefly want to leave it.  At that time, the official announcement had not been made.  When I came to my senses and recently started attending it again, the church had officially become "open and affirming" and that was what made me really consider officially joining again, which I did a few weeks ago.  I mean the individual congregation, not the entire UM church but there are several UM congregations that are now welcoming.  It's very refreshing.

It's also a huge point of contention with me and Mr. Briefly.  Things are not good.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1

I have a friend who goes to Hillsong in Manhattan. She actually got re-baptized there. I tried to "confront" her about religious beliefs but really to her it was just about getting worked up into a religious fervor and "Feeling something" again about Jesus. She couldn't care less about theology (she's always posting inspirational devotions that are contradicting the one from the day before) or what the *actual* beliefs are of Hillsong, just that when she goes she gets a good feeling and connection to Jesus. I understand this, but it still sickens me to think that she's supporting it and possibly being brainwashed. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, kmachete14 said:

She couldn't care less about theology ... or what the *actual* beliefs are of Hillsong, just that when she goes she gets a good feeling and connection to Jesus.

I think this applies to many regular churchgoers. They don't get too deep with it, the services give them a high, they may not hear anything offensive, so what they don't know doesn't concern them.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4

13 hours ago, kmachete14 said:

I have a friend who goes to Hillsong in Manhattan. She actually got re-baptized there. I tried to "confront" her about religious beliefs but really to her it was just about getting worked up into a religious fervor and "Feeling something" again about Jesus. She couldn't care less about theology (she's always posting inspirational devotions that are contradicting the one from the day before) or what the *actual* beliefs are of Hillsong, just that when she goes she gets a good feeling and connection to Jesus. I understand this, but it still sickens me to think that she's supporting it and possibly being brainwashed. 

I think this can be the function of church for many people, including non-evangelicals. They go for the community and the feelgood factor

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2