IGNORED

Trump 39: The Return of the Wall

Destiny

1 hour ago, Audrey2 said:

I was going to give this a WTF until I listened to it. After I listened to it, it sounded like a two or three or four year old's reasoning and speech patterns. It's pretty pathetic when a 72 year old sounds like he's three or four.

OMG, I listened to 2-plus minutes on the CNN site. You aren't joking. He must have refused to allow Stephen Miller to write his speech for today. He sounded like an argument for invoking the 25th amendment.

ETA: I think I will stop and buy bananas on my way home from work today. Time for banana pudding.

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the part of him saying he didn't need to do this.

Aaaaannnnd there goes any chance he had of winning in court. Don't you love it when his stupid trips him up every.single.time he's in front of a camera?

Garry Kasparov grew to adulthood in Russia; he clearly understands authoritarian regimes, and which inflection points signal danger to democracy and our system of government. 

Sarah Kendzior focused on authoritarian regimes in her dissertation.  When they sound the alarm, I believe them.  Sarah has been sounding the alarm via prescient tweets for the last three years. 

Garry's next tweet: 

Do not believe for an instant that any emergency powers will be used only for a wall. Blocked in court or not, money will be moved, institutions blinded, power grabbed. The damage is mounting.

and this

Do not count on the courts to save this country. Trump's team packed them for a reason.

Is it time for panic level red yet? 

Yesterday I was hopeful it could all be stopped. Today I am less so. What are the chances Congress will veto him?

1 minute ago, AmazonGrace said:

Lindsey Graham and McConnell are on board so.

So we are all going to die? 

I feel very hopeless right now. My senators include Burr who was just caught lying about the senate Russia investigation and Tillis who doesn't even try to pretend he cares. Calling does no good with those two, they are too corrupt. 

Here is the WaPo's annotated transcript of the Orange Menace's incoherent announcement and press conference. I can't quote here because of the quotes. I didn't watch it on TV because Dumpy's voice causes me to become ill, so it was helpful to read.

2 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

If anyone needs me,  I'll be in the kitchen:

Reveal hidden contents

tenor.gif?itemid=7940581

Thanks for this!  I've been so depressed that I can barely give upvotes.  It's scary thinking about what this latest step can lead to.

Here's the thing. Sometimes, when you (generic "you") have done what you can, you have to step far enough away to protect your own mental and emotional health. The idea of the well-known serenity prayer, or whatever that looks like to you. (Even if it's enjoying banana pudding...)

It doesn't help us, nor our friends and/or families, nor nation, nor world, if we drive ourselves insane over things that are fully out of our control.

Yes, I know, easier said than done.

I've agreed with Ann Coulter so that's the red line for me. Tonight, for my own sanity,  I'll be drinking white wine and reading a smutty e-book and I've decided to go for Farm Heroes Saga and stay out of Twitter. Wake me if someone gets arrested, otherwise I'll let Trump stew in his own awfulness.

23 minutes ago, apple1 said:

Here's the thing. Sometimes, when you (generic "you") have done what you can, you have to step far enough away to protect your own mental and emotional health. The idea of the well-known serenity prayer, or whatever that looks like to you. (Even if it's enjoying banana pudding...)

It doesn't help us, nor our friends and/or families, nor nation, nor world, if we drive ourselves insane over things that are fully out of our control.

Yes, I know, easier said than done.

This is such good advice.

there are times, long stretches, where I don’t come in the politics forum.  It’s not that I don’t care, it’s that my anxiety over it is such I need to limit my exposure beyond the facts because it makes me twitchy.

othertimes, like now, I find comfort in knowing I’m not scared alone.  

And this is terrifying.  He is insane and no one is moving to remove him.  How long do these investigations take?  

What is going to become of us?

There's a good possibility that finding funding for the wall is not going to happen, ever.  Trump seems to think it can happen with a snap of his fingers,  but $$$ is tied up in appropriations bills, there wil be numerous lawsuits working their way to the Supreme Court, Articles in the Constitution that will militate against Trump getting his wall built.

Plus, the planning/design/engineering phase alone with take many, many months.  

Thom Tillis, my shit senator, did just release a statement saying he doesn't support Trump doing this. This is part of his long statement, most of it is saying the democrats are mean for not giving money for the wall and saying that if Trump is allowed to do this the next president who is a democrat will do the same thing to shut down power plants, banks and take all the guns. :pb_rollseyes:

Congress has allowed executive overreach to continue unabated from one administration to the next because both sides are fine with it as long as they agree with the policy goal. While I agree with President Trump’s policy goal, I don’t believe in situational principles, and it’s clear what kind of rabbit hole our country can go down when we have a Democratic President who wants more government intrusion into our economy and our lives.

So there is a chance the GOP will veto Trump just because they are terrified of what will happen in 2020. They have to know that there is a strong possibility Trump will lose. 

20 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

They have to know that there is a strong possibility Trump will lose. 

Oh, sweet @formergothardite, it's not a strong possibility. It's a given. 

243 pounds? Yeah. In his diaper.

7 hours ago, apple1 said:

I made meatloaf last night.

I would have made banana pudding, but my family ate the bananas first.

Rice pudding. I've been fighting the urge to make vats of the stuff weekly since November 2016. Tonight it's homemade pizza and probably a hot bath.

37 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Your mouth to Rufus' ears...

2 minutes ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

Rice pudding. I've been fighting the urge to make vats of the stuff weekly since November 2016. Tonight it's homemade pizza and probably a hot bath.

All great options, also. :-)

When things go bananas, the tough get banana pudding!

Hang in there people.

56 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

I wish I could believe that.  I was one of those who thought he could never win to begin with.

I  need pizza, ice cream, and a hug.

6 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I wish I could believe that.  I was one of those who thought he could never win to begin with.

I  need pizza, ice cream, and a hug.

First off, here's ? and :tw_icecream: and a :hug:

Now, believe it. Remember the midterms? Remember the unprecedented turnout? Remember the results? Exactly. Multiply that exponentially to the presidential elections. That blue tidal wave is going to be so strong that nothing presiduncial or repugliklan will be left standing in its wake. 

Just for shits and giggles, I went and looked up other times that a president declared a national emergency. Apparently it's happened 58 times since Gerald Ford signed the National Emergency Act. 

• The National Emergency With Respect to the Proliferation of Weapons of Mass Destruction, that combined two previous national emergencies focused on weapons of mass destruction.
  •  The National Emergency With Respect to Persons who Commit, Threaten to Commit, or Support Terrorism was in response to the terrorist attacks of 9/11.
  • The National Emergency With Respect to Iran, in response to the Iran hostage crisis.

What's noteworthy, though, is that most the national emergencies are acts to block "property and entry" of people involved in very bad stuff.

• The National Emergency With Respect to Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in the Democratic Republic of the Congo was in response to violence around the Congolese presidential election runoff.
  • The National Emergency With Respect to Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in Somalia was in respect to threats posed by Somali pirates.
  • The National Emergency With Respect to Blocking Property of Transnational Criminals was in response to the rise in crime by specific organizations: Los Zetas (Mexico), The Brothers’ Circle (former Soviet Union countries), the Yakuza (Japan), and the Camorra (Italy).

So, weapons of mass destruction, a terrorist attack, and the Iran hostage crisis. Building a useless border wall to keep the relatively small number of people who are crossing the border illegally (rather than overstaying their visas, etc.) doesn't even come close. This guy...

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/list-31-national-emergencies-effect-years/story?id=60294693

2 hours ago, Howl said:

Plus, the planning/design/engineering phase alone with take many, many months.  

I have been a federal construction contracting officer. Projects much smaller than this one can take years just for the design and engineering phase. This wall nonsense would take practically forever.

1 hour ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

Rice pudding.

I love this too, always make it with leftover plain rice. I like dried cranberries in mine. Now I must make some, no leftovers so a fresh pot of rice it is!

We are entitled to eat all the comfort food we want.

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

Americans can be apathethic non-voters but everyone knows how high the stakes are now.

I would imagine the lawsuits for imminent domain would take an extremely long time. My mother had property that was earmarked for a highway and that went on and on in the courts. People even fight over the value of the trees on the property, if there are any, and that negotiation is time consuming. And that's if you don't fight it tooth and nail, which I imagine many people will do. I certainly wouldn't want to give up my families ranch to this nonsense, for example, and you better believe I'd spend my last penny on the biggest vicious weasel of an attorney I could find. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived