IGNORED

Seewalds 38: Waiting on Seaweed Three

Coconut Flan

I had 3 boys.I have to admit,I love all my sons,but I would have loved to have had a girl.

I have 3 brothers.Mr Melon had 3 brothers.My father had 1 brother.My parents had eight grandchildren...6 grandsons,2 granddaughters.The first granddaughter was a preemie,at 20 weeks.She didn't live very long.

And a lot of people asked me,even years after my third son,if I was going to try for a girl.

My MIL used to tell me that I'd never have a girl...she told my SIL the same thing but she did have one.My MIL used to tell me that she never wanted a girl because girls were harder to raise.Well,if she never had one?How did she know???

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was *positive* my oldest was going to be a girl. I knew from the second I peed on the stick and I was right! But that was just a set up. Because my next pregnancy I was again positive it was another girl. I had the same exact feeling that it was another girl and I was super excited about it. I had always pictured myself with a houseful of girls. They weren't able to tell at our u/s (just had the two, one at 12 weeks and another at 19 weeks) but I was so sure I was having another girl I didn't even bother thinking about what if it was a boy. Well, once they announced it was a boy in the delivery room I was in total shock. I just remember thinking what the heck am I going todo with a boy?!? I totally came around a few days later but it did take me a few days to completely wrap my mind around having a boy

I knew a man whose parents were SO convinced they were having a girl that they only picked out a girl's name.  In the delivery room they hastily changed it to the masculine form, which they later came to wish they had spent more time on.

The name was "Fiona", so to change it to the masculine, they went with Fionn.  That is a great name, but in the US it is a rare spelling of an already uncommon name, and the only way to really explain it is "like Fiona, but for a guy", so it caused him a lot of grief.  

Finn is the common spelling, and the one they later came to wish they went with.  Fionn actually answered to both "Fin" and "Fee-on", and to this day, I'm not completely sure which pronunciation he preferred.  

On 2/16/2019 at 4:37 PM, justodd said:

I was never going to look just like the Care Bears or Rainbow Brite, but that didn’t mean I couldn’t still learn some quality lessons from them.

Sadly, the older I get, the more and more my body resembles that of a Care Bear.

7 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

My favourite thing about barbie was changing her clothes. I didn't care what her body looked like, I just wanted to put all the cool 80s and 90s clothes on her! 

Agreed.  Specifically, I'm with @nst I loved all the groovy 70s & early 80s styles that my Barbie had! I wish I had kept them.

We had some old storage cubbies in our basement that my one sister and I often used to make a Barbie hotel/apartment or play Barbie Trading Spaces!  We'd use anything from actual Barbie furniture to blocks to design the rooms.

2 hours ago, Georgiana said:

The name was "Fiona", so to change it to the masculine, they went with Fionn.  That is a great name, but in the US it is a rare spelling of an already uncommon name, and the only way to really explain it is "like Fiona, but for a guy", so it caused him a lot of grief.  

Finn is the common spelling, and the one they later came to wish they went with.  Fionn actually answered to both "Fin" and "Fee-on", and to this day, I'm not completely sure which pronunciation he preferred.  

My youngest nephew is called Fionn, a few people did say when he was born why is the o in his name, his older brother also has an Irish name and spelling. A substitute teacher did mistakenly call him Fiona, he laughed and then corrected them.

On 2/16/2019 at 9:14 AM, Someone Out There said:

I'm not sure why Barbie is doing this, but Lego started making more of the sets instead of the random free play after they were going bust (I watched some doco about the lego factory, potentially one of the megafactory ones where they discussed this).  I'm not sure if it has something to do with the adult market as well (i.e. a number of adults probably want to buy sets of stuff).

Yes!! Makes me crazy! I keep trying to play with legos with my son the way I did- as in, hope you have the right pieces to make a whatever... not “step by step build this” 

wheres the fun there?

7 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Barbie shoe or Lego

Which one is more painful to the instep of a parent’s foot?

My daughter had both and they were both killers! I cussed in foreign languages when I stepped on one of those things.

18 hours ago, Spanger said:

The Sims is awesome as a doll-playing alternative, because you can build a dollhouse with a bazillion pieces of furniture, without having to pay real life $$ to buy a bazillion pieces of doll furniture, or find anywhere to store them, or clean them up when you are done.  I also like that the Sims will do their own thing if you are ignoring them, and sometimes throw little wrenches in the life plans you have for them...  (ie Barbie never skips work to stay home eating birthday cake even when you keep trying to tell her to stop and go to work so she can finally be promoted to astronaut!).

its all just story-telling to me though, which is something anyone can enjoy, whether you build your story with barbies, gi Joe, lego, hot wheels, or scraps of fabric and lace.  And not everyone wants to build a story, and that’s fine too.

Ive just started getting back into building a physical dollhouse, which wasn’t something I was super interested in as a kid, but I’m enjoying it now.  Was kind of imagining it to be this girly hobby, but I’m learning all kinds of “manly” skills right now- sawing wood, clamping and gluing, sanding and painting.  *not that these skills inherently need to be manly either, just something I hadn’t had an excuse to learn yet and am finally doing now.  ?

Personally I think things like this miniature village in the garden https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2335693/Builder-scales-work-creates-THREE-miniature-villages-garden-including-12ft-high-model-Big-Ben.html or this miniature village in the house https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2359333/Barton-village-Woman-spent-15-years-creating-amazing-miniature-town-spare-bedroom.html are kind of cool.  If I was willing to give up being able to park in the garage I would think about making one but I'm not so unless I move a village is unlikely to be built by me...

On 2/4/2019 at 2:53 AM, Glasgowghirl said:

Cathy saying that Jill and Derick need to just keep trying was so insensitive, her already having one birth with complications that resulted in c section and the chances were that the same was going to happen, which it did. Jill and Derick may not have anymore and if they do she should be grateful with whatever they have. 

If Ben and Jessa own the house they are staying in they could extend it, especially if this baby is a girl I could see them making a girl's room. 

Jill and Derick will not have anymore kids only if she physically can't get pregnant and carry to term. 

For these people a woman's sole purpose and worth in life is bearing children and the more they have the more favored they are. 

Complications are a badge of honor and martyrdom in their culture, from what I've seen. 

11 hours ago, Meggo said:

Yes!! Makes me crazy! I keep trying to play with legos with my son the way I did- as in, hope you have the right pieces to make a whatever... not “step by step build this” 

wheres the fun there?

Idk, but my boys don’t know how to ‘free build. They do it in Minecraft but can’t translate it to LEGO blocks that don’t have a plan... makes my husband crazy.

22 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

My favourite thing about barbie was changing her clothes. I didn't care what her body looked like, I just wanted to put all the cool 80s and 90s clothes on her! 

Yes! And specifically I loved making clothes for her. My parents’ finished basement was my play area but also home to all of my mom’s sewing stuff. I loved going into the cabinet where she kept her scraps and remnants and making new clothes for Barbie and my other dolls. 

To be fair, Thrive Market doesn't seem to be an MLM and it actually looks like a pretty neat service. But when you've got three Duggars shilling for it in as many days, it gets to be a bit much. Throw in the fact that they're constantly shilling for other things (like Jill's t-shirts and Joy's diet program) and it's pretty damn annoying. I guess that's the way Instagram is going, though. Anyone with a large number of followers is just going to be constantly shilling for stuff.

At least it's not an MLM. I can sort of see Jessa and Ben enjoying Thrive Market, because Ben seems to be into healthy eating. I don't buy it so much from Joy and Austin. 

14 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

My daughter had both and they were both killers! I cussed in foreign languages when I stepped on one of those things.

Did you ever play with jacks as a child?Those suckers hurt when you step on them,too!

We're planning to do genetic testing on our embryos when we do IVF in a couple months. That means we could decide which sex embryo to put back. But as of right now, we plan to just let the embryologist/RE pick a normal one that looks good (assuming we have one!). They said it's really common for people to ask for the redacted photocopy of their genetic testing results so that they don't see sex.

You have to make so many more decisions when you're trying to conceive with ART that I just can't imagine adding one so big and determinative on top of everything else. If we do a transfer and it takes, however, I imagine we'd just ask them to tell us the sex at that point. If we're lucky enough to have more than one child through IVF, we may make a different choice in the future, who knows!

Thrive Market doesn't appear to be a MLM but it must be compensating them somehow. There is no way they're all shilling at the same time out of the goodness of their hearts. Do they comp their annual membership if you shill on social media?

2 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

At least it's not an MLM. I can sort of see Jessa and Ben enjoying Thrive Market, because Ben seems to be into healthy eating. I don't buy it so much from Joy and Austin. 

Joy has to be if she is going to be a brood mare, got to keep the body healthy to fill that quiver. :my_dodgy:

3 hours ago, melon said:

Did you ever play with jacks as a child?Those suckers hurt when you step on them,too!

Remember the game perfection? I stepped on one of those pieces (with the little "handle" up) - MAN that hurt...

3 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

Thrive Market doesn't appear to be a MLM but it must be compensating them somehow. There is no way they're all shilling at the same time out of the goodness of their hearts. Do they comp their annual membership if you shill on social media?

They probably get free stuff as well as a commission for every order with their code.

Promoting something for money is not the same as MLM.

So wait, on her stories Jessa says she just heard about thrive market from Jinger, yet at the top it says paid partnership with Thrive. Sure Jessa...that's super believable. ?

22 minutes ago, Bazinga said:

So wait, on her stories Jessa says she just heard about thrive market from Jinger, yet at the top it says paid partnership with Thrive. Sure Jessa...that's super believable. ?

She probably did. Jinger promoted it first. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived