IGNORED

Seewalds 38: Waiting on Seaweed Three

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, mollysmom said:

You guys are killing me! I NEED to go to an Ikea!!!!! I've never been before but it sounds amazing. Seriously, I'm moving in the next month or so. I really think I might make the trip to PA! 

There are two in PA near me, about equidistant!

One of my kids lives in DC and discovered the true joys of IKEA on his own.  He enjoys the "tacky table". It is like the island of misfit toys---but so bad they are actually good:

Pretty Ugly Lovely

We never left our kids in the play area, but loved to call it SMALAND all the same.  "Do you want to go to Smaland?"  So, so good.

I got exceedingly sick from the meatballs once, so I can't eat there anymore (plus, i am vegetarian now). Mr. Fortress loves the fruit cookies.

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

There are two in PA near me, about equidistant!

One of my kids lives in DC and discovered the true joys of IKEA on his own.  He enjoys the "tacky table". It is like the island of misfit toys---but so bad they are actually good:

Pretty Ugly Lovely

We never left our kids in the play area, but loved to call it SMALAND all the same.  "Do you want to go to Smaland?"  So, so good.

I got exceedingly sick from the meatballs once, so I can't eat there anymore (plus, i am vegetarian now). Mr. Fortress loves the fruit cookies.

In Sweden Ikea has vegetarian meatballs. 

I know it sounds wrong but not as wrong as just balls ... :confusion-shrug:

3 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

In Sweden Ikea has vegetarian meatballs. 

I know it sounds wrong but not as wrong as just balls ... :confusion-shrug:

I have heard of those and am hoping they make it to the States soon.

I just moved over the summer and am still dealing with storage issues. You have all inspired an ikea trip in my future.

Whenever I go to Ikea, I stop by the food market and pick up a tin of pepparkakor and some lingonberry syrup for my Swedish pancakes.  Yes, I could make the pepparkakor at home (and I have), but it is a pain to roll the dough that thin.

*Raises hand*

I am the one in this lovefest who does NOT like IKEA.

When they came to Portland I was excited. Then I went. As a whole, not my bag.

*Off to the closet with the HP and Jane Austen nonfans*

@AliceInFundyland, you do you, and be happy. :goldfish:

Unlike JillRod, we don’t judge, block, or unfriend people with different perspectives. 

(no real reason to use the fish, I just felt like it.)

2 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

*Raises hand*

I hate modern interior design, as well as "fast furniture." 

I also hate crowds. IKEA on a Saturday sounds like the seventh circle of hell. 

i like ikea, but i do hate crowds. when i went, it was a non-holiday weekday, so busy but not terrible. 

17 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

That’s really interesting, in my world IKEA furniture was more aspirational middle-class than college-student starting out. 

I agree, when I was in college and for most of grad school I had free found/scavenged/4th-hand furniture. A few used pieces I paid for but never more than $20-$50. There was no way I could have afforded $200+ for a couch.  This year after getting married is the first time I've ever had new furniture, we splurged on a nice Ikea dresser and coffee table, but most of my furniture is just inherited from the people who lived in the apartment before. 

21 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

I love how, when I was a student, everyone had the same Ikea furniture: a BILLY bookcase, a PAX wardrobe, and a KLIPPAN couch. Although I did not have Klippan, because I got my grandfathers old couch

That is so true!!!!! ? I guess we are around the same age +/-5 years then.

The KLIPPAN Couch still lives with us. We have it in the kitchen and if we don’t dump everything on it, it’s very nice sitting there with a glass of wine watching husband cook. 

The PAX wardrobe is still looking pretty good after three times being taken down and built up again.

BILLY has been upgraded. Optics (glas doors) and price wise. We use the EXPEDIT (now KALLAX I believe) as bookshelf. If we buy a house and invest in a library wall I would try to build it with  BILLY. I figure GORM or KALLAX is kind of the new BILLY in terms of pricing. Cheap, simple shelfs. Although I wound use GORM only in a pantry. 

It’s kind of funny how you definitely find some IKEA in almost every home around here (age 55 down).

Thinking about it- we only have a handful not-IKEA things: my great grandmother’s armchair and cupboard, an antique bureau, a couch, a self made coffee table and vanity, the cot and the kitchen (because we couldn’t afford an IKEA kitchen- they are actually really good quality).

I wonder if we ever “grow out” of IKEA. The pricing is great and I don’t think I would be willing to spend much more money on furniture (only for beautiful antiques).

I hate you guys. Our nearest IKEA is 150 miles away.

Our nearest is in a whole nother country [emoji23] No ikea (yet) in New Zealand and it kills me. My uncle lived in Sweden for years. When I visited we would frequent ikea a few times a week. Its a great place to walk a tired baby in a stroller round in the middle of winter [emoji6] I do confess to bringing far to much home in one trip... a high chair to be exact, in my carry on luggage haha. Legs in my checked luggage and the seat in my carry on, fully ready to forfeit it at anytime!

5 hours ago, catlady said:

i like ikea, but i do hate crowds. when i went, it was a non-holiday weekday, so busy but not terrible. 

The 1st Ikea I went to was in Minneapolis at the Mall of America, it was a NIGHTMARE, it was so crowded, it wasn't fun, at all. I went to the one in Merriam, KS last summer and it was MUCH nicer, much less crowded much better experience. I've never eaten their but I do like a lot of their kitchen items. 

You can pry my two 5x5 EXPEDIT from my cold dead hands. Those are my favorite pieces of furniture. I got my second one second hand from a Uni student and built myself a bedroom within a room using them as "walls" (my son had the actual bedroom in our apartment and I was in the living room). Now those shelves have other uses, but they hold up so well. What I will never have again is a PAX closet. Those things are a PIA to move and just so huge an imposing. Anyone have recommendations on a closet that matches MALM, but is not Ikea? We have been making do with whatever that super cheap and flimsy one is, but we can't find an Ikea one we like and don't want to move the flimsy one. Central Europe, specifically Germany.

@just_ordinary We actually got the chance to have a library in our home (this house is ridiculously big for what it rents for) and we built the shelving wall using Besta as the base and attaching Billy's to the top (and wall). It looks fantastic and I adore the little ledge. I will be so sad to give it up, but our next home does not have tall enough ceiling for the current set up (I found out last night and am still pouting).

9 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

*Raises hand*

When they came to Portland I was excited. Then I went. As a whole, not my bag.

*Off to the closet with the HP and Jane Austen nonfans*

Personally while I don't mind the furniture when I was upgrading the furniture after buying my house the offerings were not really the colours/style that I wanted to go for.  I do however buy their picture shadowbox picture frames on occasion to frame embroidery pieces.

From what I understand furniture movers hate IKEA furniture.  Things like the billy bookcases, so long as they aren't really moving around are fine, but once you want to do so they have a tendency to move (the IKEA bookcase I had had a nailed on back that did not stay nailed on after a couple of moves and because of the backing it wasn't really there for disassembling).

5 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

The 1st Ikea I went to was in Minneapolis at the Mall of America, it was a NIGHTMARE, it was so crowded, it wasn't fun, at all. I went to the one in Merriam, KS last summer and it was MUCH nicer, much less crowded much better experience. I've never eaten their but I do like a lot of their kitchen items. 

As someone who has also been to both of these Ikeas I just have to say I totally agree with you. The KC one is even cleaner. Ten out of ten at least as far as IKEA experiences go. Even if they did tear down my Aunties house to build it. One by Mall of America I’ve been to twice and both times there were so many people it wasn’t even enjoyable. 

16 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I hate you guys. Our nearest IKEA is 150 miles away.

Over 300 miles for me. And it might be the same one that's 150 miles from you. :)

I’ll 3rd that (re: the Minnesota IKEA). It’s a nightmare.  SO MANY PEOPLE!

I wonder if that ikea is the most profitable.  It’s unbelievable.   

All the displays are dirty ugh.  But I still like to walk around and sometimes buy kitchen stuff.  I prefer older antique furniture.  The kind you buy at a garage sale.  Lol 

16 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

*Raises hand*

Oh, I don't like IKEA, I just like their food. LOL! I hate that you can't get out until you come to the end.. it's creepy.

2 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Oh, I don't like IKEA, I just like their food. LOL! I hate that you can't get out until you come to the end.. it's creepy.

I don't like this either.  Usually there's a way to cut through if you pay attention, though.  

I hate when stores have a maze-like layout you have to walk through in general. This is how grocery stores are in Germany and it makes me crazy claustrophobic.  I miss open, regularly laid-out American grocery stores where you can easily find the exit from anywhere in the store. 

The nearest Ikea to me is in Calgary. I wanted to go look, and possibly shop late last year, but shit happened. Love the Billy book cases. If I was in my old apartment, I would have purchased a couple. 

18 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I also hate crowds. IKEA on a Saturday sounds like the seventh circle of hell. 

The seventh circle of hell is Costco in St. John's on any weekend. If one is claustrophobic, do not go near it. 

Jessa is bigger than she was with Henry and smaller than she was with Spurgeon. 

I am going to predict a third little boy for the Seewalds. I know Ben once upon a time wanted 15 sons. It would be really interesting if their 1st 4-6 children did end up all being boys. Would the boys become brother-dads? Help with chores like laundry and cooking? I do think Ben does some of the cooking so I don't think he is uber rigid in all gender roles. It would be interesting if the 1st 4-6 being all boys would shape Ben and Jessa's parenting style versus their being a mix of boys and girls in the bunch.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived