IGNORED

Seewalds 38: Waiting on Seaweed Three

Coconut Flan

You can get low beds by avoiding a boxspring like they do in most of the world. Box springs are terribly unhealthy and absolutely disgusting when it comes to dust mites and environmental allergens. You are breathing some absolutely appalling stuff in there. Like literally sleeping on top of a box full of nasty dust.

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonder if GM Mary will sell the Seewalds the log cabin, if Joe and Kendra are moving on?

It's one thing to put your box spring and mattress on the floor as a student-- you're probably moving apartments every year or two and maybe you don't want to take apart and move a bed frame every time, you don't have a lot of money, and you're just starting life out with not a whole lot of furniture on your own. It just seems strange to me to go from having a bed frame to putting a mattress on the floor. It's like moving backwards. Ikea sells beds that are low-profile, inexpensive, and would work well for Jessa's setup if she is over having bulky furniture. They have wood slats instead of a box spring. 

4 hours ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

Oh jeez, now they've put the box spring and mattress directly on the floor. 

Am I the only one who has no problem with how this looks? I mean honestly, it seems really functional with 2 toddlers and a new baby. And it looks so much more spacious, a lot less dim, and less cluttered. 

5 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

The Duggars to go bed late and sleep in because almost none of them have typical jobs or attend school. Most toddlers would be getting ready for bed around 7-8, but they probably need to be up to go to daycare, preschool, etc. None of the Duggars have ever had to adjust to anything close to resembling a 9-5 schedule so I'm not surprised that Henry and Spurgeon would be up and seemingly unbothered at that hour.

I have a couple of friends who were SAHMs before their kids started kindergarten and the kids would routinely go to bed at 9-10 pm and then sleep until 9 am. Getting them off to school was a thing of nightmares for YEARS because all of a sudden they had to be up 2-3 hours earlier and they had a really tough time adjusting. But since Jessa's boys won't be going to school, except to maybe SOTDRT where their father will teach them how to make enough food for 40 people, they won't have to deal with that.

That is how I tell myself that it’s actually great that our baby is up (and ready to party) at 6am (or earlier).....

1 hour ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

It's one thing to put your box spring and mattress on the floor as a student-- you're probably moving apartments every year or two and maybe you don't want to take apart and move a bed frame every time, you don't have a lot of money, and you're just starting life out with not a whole lot of furniture on your own. It just seems strange to me to go from having a bed frame to putting a mattress on the floor. It's like moving backwards. Ikea sells beds that are low-profile, inexpensive, and would work well for Jessa's setup if she is over having bulky furniture. They have wood slats instead of a box spring. 

Their nearest IKEA is 7ish hours away by car (either Memphis or St Louis), and delivery fees are outrageous if you don’t live near the store. They could probably get a similar platform bed frame from a different store, but may not have even considered it before seeing the mattress plus box spring without a frame and realizing they liked the style. 

(BEC) While I don't like to put the matress on the floor, I think Jessa's bedroom looks much better now than before. Her forniture was like my grandma's bedroom! How could such a young couple choose that bed? Even if it was a hand-me-down, they could at least have it painted or something. 

Jessa is replying to a lot of comments. Apparently the mirror will be screwed to the wall, and they are fans of the ‘dorm room’ look. The closest she’ll get to be a college student is living like one I guess. 

ETA: Also some of the Duggar boys added French doors and built them a deck outside. 

It’s ironic because for 5 years, Mr.Jumper and I slept on a mattress on the floor. We were saving up for for a house and determined not to buy a stitch of furniture until we succeeded. It bothered me a lot more than him. I mean really, it was one step away from boning in a childhood bunk bed, as far as I was concerned.

So, we just bought a house last month, and I was chomping at the bit to get a bed frame, but we had so much painting to do, and we really wanted to get the kids rooms completed first. Today... I finally (finally!!!) painted our room, assembled the bed frame, hoisted the mattress upon it, and hung the curtains. Mr. Jumper was busy in the garage all day, so he had no idea what I was up to (he thought he talked me in to waiting a few more weeks. Ha!)

Distilled version: Ben, Jessa... you’re moving backward. I understand that minimalism is trendy right now (to the endless amusement of those of us who grew up poor), but Broke-Ass College Grad Chic is going to get old real quick-like. 

Re-decorating aside, I have to just say what we are all thinking: 

Henry's tummy.  ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

11 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

The mattress is not on the floor, they have a boxspring.

I like it like that and I see it a lot lately. But then again, I think head- and footboards are mostly ugly.

To each their own, but I require a bed. You can buy a simple lightweight collapsible bedframe on Amazon (no headboards or footboards) for well under 100 dollars. Leaving your mattress (and boxspring, whatever) on the ground traps moisture and can cause mold.

NastyHobbitses Judgy Bitch Mode Engaged

Like: I think the color scheme is lovely; it's very soothing and simple, and keeping the walls neutral means that you can switch it up easily if you want to. I also love the color of the changing table. 

The minimalist aesthetic. It sparks joy, as they say.

The low bed. Jessa's reasons for having it make a lot of sense, and I think that it pairs well with the minimalism of the room to give it a sort of Japanese feel without looking like cultural appropriation. 

Critiques: Get rid of the boxspring and get a wood platform bedframe. You could probably even DIY one/MJDI (Make Jana Do It) one. -- I actually like the height that the bed is now, but a platform frame will just "elevate" it in a figurative sense and make the room look more grown up. I know there are no Muji stores near them, but maybe something like this

Paint the dark wood dresser to match either the end table or the changing table, because now you have too many clashing furniture colors. 

Maybe go for a different rug; I kinda like the Oriental rug and how it contrasts with the minimalism of the room, but this one needs a good steam cleaning at the very least, and I think the colors are just a little too musty. A brighter rug with some of that same mossy green in the current rug (and matches the changing table) would really tie the room together and contrast nicely with the more muted color scheme of the rest of the room. 

Hang the mirror on the wall properly. You're adults now. 

I honestly really like sleeping on a matrass on the floor, or on a bed that is really close to the floor. I honestly don't even know why? Odd.

I don't like a low bed, it's too hard to get out of (yes I realize I sound like a 90-year old). It's much easier to stand up from or roll out of bed from a high bed. 

I had a box spring on the floor in college but now I just can't imagine giving up the under the bed storage space!

Okay, does anyone else remember - isn't that the changing table from someone else's nursery. Joe and Kendra? I remember one like it from the show.

I don't think I'd like my bed on the floor.  I think it would be harder to bend down and make the bed, plus I'd be concerned that the sheets & blanket would be touching the floor and getting dusty.

But on the plus side, it would completely eliminate my fear that The Icy Cold Hand of Death (who may or may not be lurking under my bed) would be waiting to grab me by the ankles and pull me down as I return from the bathroom in the middle of the night.  So, there's that . . .

Now I really think they are getting ready to sell/move, and getting rid of as much bulky furniture before hand is brilliant.  Honestly, I think the bed & box spring on the floor is brilliant for her, getting in and out of bed will be easier right now, and I agree that the little getting in and off the bed is just a plus.  I don't think it will be like that for long, a few months for sure. I would bet they list the house after Threewald is born. 

I do like the wall color she's chosen and the changing table looks good too.  I'm not a fan of the mirror, my daughter has one of those, but it is mounted behind her bedroom door, she's had it since she was 5.  

If Henry and Spurgeon are still crawling in, I would be worried about them falling out of the bed the way it was before. 

13 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

A brighter rug with some of that same mossy green in the current rug (and matches the changing table) would really tie the room together and contrast nicely with the more muted color scheme of the rest of the room.

D2B4572E-F9C8-4D01-98F3-282ADEB5F030.jpeg

I answered my own question, it is the same table. Why not just say you fixed it up, loaned it and now its back. Or you're borrowing it. 

5b6b40726b66d1720772e0f6.jpeg

I see a lot of people in my mom groups switching to floor beds for co-sleeping. It makes sense in that regard as it is safer than having a baby/child fall to the floor from a high mattress. I could never go for it though. I need my under the bed storage and I feel like if my child could roll off the bed then they belong in their own safe space. We did recently though get rid of our old large wood heardboard/footboard combo with boxspring and switched to a simple upholstered headboard/platform bed. It's pretty cool- all the parts came packaged so they fit in the headboard for moving and it only cost $160 on amazon for a king size.

I've had a cheap little bed frame that holds the box spring like 2 inches up from the ground. I think a solution like that would still keep the bed low but look much more adult and put together.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived