IGNORED

Seewalds 38: Waiting on Seaweed Three

Coconut Flan

6 hours ago, CharlieInCharge said:

As a daily wearer of blue eyeshadow (and blue mascara, liner and lipstick) I say F trends, wear whatever makeup, clothes, hair, etc. makes YOU feel good about yourself. 

Disclaimer: if being On Trend is what makes you feel good, rock every trend you can find.

Secondary disclaimer: I also have blue hair, so I’m very defensive about color-related grooming and this isn’t directed at any one poster ?

I love this so much!  

Odd question have you ever had a stranger pet your hair?  I ask because I have 3 friends 1 has blue & green hair, the other is purple and the other is my unicorn friend she has a literal rainbow in her hair, and the blue/green gal had a drunk woman come up to her and pet her head going "its so soft and pretty".  We still laugh about this. 

• Haha 8
  • Thank You 1

That’s so weird! Yes! People ask to touch it, mostly kids though. Mine is blonde at the top, then teal-blue, dark blue then purple-blue. My husband calls it my mermaid mullet because when it’s braided you can’t tell it’s dyed from the front, the party is all in the back lol. 

And just an FYI - it’s not just a female thing, my husband has light blue hair and gets compliments and touch requests, too. I think people just like it and it’s becoming more common. 

• Upvote 10

Fellow eclectic-haired person here.  Cheers!

The hairdo I had that gave me the most questions/attention was the tri-hawk I has when I was 21. It went from being three different colours to being platinum blond, and was about a foot long at it's longest point. I used Knox Gelatin to spike it, and it stayed stiff for days (Viagara, eat your heart out).

For at least a decade now I've been in the red range for hair. It's gone from fire engine red to fuschia, to ginger, to it's current state of ruby/copper/rosegold ombre. When people ask my natural colour I find myself saying 'red' simply because it's in my nature to have reddish hair.

As for people wanting to touch my hair, I got that the most when it was spiked up or buzzed off. My natural hair texture is curly, which had people boinging my curls when I was a little kid. 

Edited by VeryNikeSeamstress
  • Upvote 10

33 minutes ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Fellow eclectic haire person here.  Cheers!

The hairdo I had that gave me the most questions/attention was the tri-hawk I has when I was 21. It went from being three different colours to being platinum blond, and was about a foot long at it's longest point. I used Knox Gelatin to spike it, and it stayed stiff for days (Viagara, eat your heart out).

For at least a decade now I've been in the red range for hair. It's gone from fire engine red to fuschia, to ginger, to it's current state of ruby/copper/rosegold ombre. When people ask my natural colour I find myself saying 'red' simply because it's in my nature to have reddish hair.

You totally just answered a question I had for years!! Thank you. When I was in school there was a guy with ~shoulder length hair, bright red dyed into between the brown. Sometimes he would make into spikes all over his head, like really long cone shapes coming out of this head. It looked so cool and I always wondered how he did that, but was too timid to ask (he was way cooler than me) and now I get it how that was even possible.

• Upvote 3

@StraightOuttaArkansas my hair would be stiff for about a week, but eventually the roots would start to get wavy from humidity/regrowth. Soaking the Knox out of my hair was never fun. Very long baths and large amounts of conditioner. I'm lucky to still have hair!

Fun fact: Synchronized swimmers also use Knox to slick their hair back for competition.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

I would LOVE to put "eclectic" color in my hair. I recently was on a short holiday and used some very cheap temp stuff to put blue throughout my hair and I absolutely loved it (minus the blue I left on the hotel pillow.....oops). Unfortunately, I work in corporate America and am not allowed to express myself that way. My dad is still shocked that I'm allowed my small nose stud at my job, and even then I think that was pushing boundaries at my office when I started. 

I was recently phone interviewing with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts with their corp HQ and asked the question. I know Disney is known for enforcing strict rules for park employees, and unfortunately (but not surprisingly) it is the same for their HQ employees as well. No visible tattoos or non-ear piercings, no eclectic hair colors, and I think they potentially have some restrictions on heavy make up or nail color.  If I were to find my dream job with them, I have a couple of tattoos that I could hide easily with a cardigan and some strategically placed sandal straps. I supposed I could put in a clear plastic stud in my nose, or take my stud out daily and put back in at night, but I long for more progressive work places in corporate America. 

Side note - a (female, mother) HR employee at my currently company recently referred to pregnancy as a short-term disability, as in, "no paid parental leave, just short-term disability." This is what's leading me on my job search :) 

• Upvote 10

Thread drift . . .
I really love the look of pink lipstick, especially for Spring.  But my natural lip color is pretty dark--kind of plum colored.  Every time I try a pink lipstick, it is too light or sheer and never covers my natural color. I am not really a "makeup-type person" and wouldn't be so comfortable with a really thick matte finish I suspect.  Is there any hope?

Edited by Satan'sFortress
wrong pic

11 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I know Disney is known for enforcing strict rules for park employees, and unfortunately (but not surprisingly) it is the same for their HQ employees as well. No visible tattoos or non-ear piercings, no eclectic hair colors, and I think they potentially have some restrictions on heavy make up or nail color.

It's so weird to me that employers have this kind of control over their employees.  Who cares what you look like as long as you can do the job?

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

I sometimes dream of a hidden rainbow but my hair to thin for it to stay hidden if I wanted. I guess going from natural ash blonde to red will be as adventurous as it gets for me. 

Spoiler

4117FD0F-8B77-473D-8A38-08E6A0B61C5E.jpeg

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 13
  • Love 3

17 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

It's so weird to me that employers have this kind of control over their employees.  Who cares what you look like as long as you can do the job?

When you are seeing clients or in any other way directly representing the company I can imagine. But if you are working at the office it makes no sense.

For instance, in my company there are strict rules for frontoffice and for the Sales Department but I only have to mind my clothing when I actually join Sales to a client.

• Upvote 8

I work for a research center at an academic medical center. The only “dress code” rules we have are no open toe shoes in patient care areas, and no fragrances. The expectation is to be “neat and clean,” and the norm is business casual for staff, and business formal for faculty, but those aren’t codified in any way. Lots of visible tattoos and “non-traditional” piercings around my office.

Edited by mpheels
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

Jessa is potty training Spurgie today (probably because they only want two kids in diapers)... but she posted a video of Spurge with wet pee pants! What?!

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 8

Spurgeon is almost 3.5 (I had the same due date as Jessa, but my son was born a week earlier than Spurge), that's pretty long to start potty training. And just 2 months before she has a new baby, she's making it needlessly hard on herself for waiting.

My son was potty trained for peeing in like 3 days but pooping took nearly 6 months. I swear I have PTSD over it.

• Upvote 16

23 minutes ago, neurogirl said:

Jessa is potty training Spurgie today (probably because they only want two kids in diapers)... but she posted a video of Spurge with wet pee pants! What?!

Yeah, the wet pants video bothered me too. I really don’t see why it was necessary to share that part. I felt a bit uncomfortable with how Jessa worded things to Spurgeon too. I think she was trying to get him to understand what happened (and why) and that’s not necessarily a bad thing. I don’t think she meant to intentionally shame him, but I feel like that’s what was happening. Accidents are a very normal part of potty training and while it can be very frustrating for everyone involved it’s also something that shouldn’t be made into a big deal (by, say, taping your kid with wet pants as you explain why they peed their pants again.) I’m glad she sounded relatively calm about it, but I don’t think that should have been shared publicly.

I feel really badly for all the Duggar grandkids, but especially the ones still on the show. These poor little kids don’t really have any expectation of privacy and that’s just wrong. 

On a related note, Jill actually gave some pretty great advice in the comments:

48781EF7-DE61-4DBF-BB5B-AECD23CF6A92.thumb.jpeg.208e3bd66620d54bf7927076a47cc164.jpeg

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 2

Why is she posting on social media instead of asking her parents, or Anna, or any  of endless stream of fundie moms passing through her parents’ house? 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 5

20 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Why is she posting on social media instead of asking her parents, or Anna, or any  of endless stream of fundie moms passing through her parents’ house? 

Probably just to boost engagement numbers on her account. That’s a pretty normal move by people who work in SM. They often ask random questions they could a) just google, b) should know already or c) aren’t really interested in the actual answers (like ’what are you up to‘ etc).

• Upvote 18

Count me in as a person who is highly critical of parents who post very personal, intimate, embarrassing moments of their children’s upbringing. Spurgeon will one day be a big kid, and an adult, who will likely have internet access. Can you imagine growing up into the realization that for years your potty training was broadcasted to strangers world over before you even understood what was happening around you? 

Even small children deserve boundaries, and in fact especially so as they often can’t articulate them themselves. Parents should hopefully be vigilant about this, but there are many social moors surrounding parenting that prioritize the “ownership” of the child rather than the autonomy of the child that are questionable in my eyes, but are sharply brought into focus is the day and age as we migrate how the internet should actually function in our culture(s) and communities, and so many parents have found success monetizing their children. 

I’m not saying there can’t be any personal moments shared with the world, there is something very magical about the fact that now more than ever we can find worldwide platforms faster and easier than ever (literally within moments!), but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be critical of how we use that. 

I just feel like this (and other tlc shows that have shown real children potty training) is a violation.  

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 12

I'm not comfortable with the video either. This is the kind of stuff one of my sil's posts. One was a picture of one of her kids on social media in just their underwear. I feel like it's an invasion of the kids' privacy. My kids are of the ages of embarrassing-to-them photos being tucked into an old photo album. But on the internet, it just is open to everyone. Creeps me out. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 8

That video is revolting. The poor kid.

edited to say: does she think she’s being funny at her kid’s expense? Or does she think the cute kid will cover up the fact that she’s being a jerk?

Edited by adidas
  • Upvote 3

Jessa is an asshole mother for filming Spurgeon having an accident. Who does this to their kid? I hope poor Spurge doesn't ever see this.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 6

1 hour ago, AtlanticTug said:

Spurgeon is almost 3.5 (I had the same due date as Jessa, but my son was born a week earlier than Spurge), that's pretty long to start potty training. And just 2 months before she has a new baby, she's making it needlessly hard on herself for waiting.

My son was potty trained for peeing in like 3 days but pooping took nearly 6 months. I swear I have PTSD over it.

Eh, all kids are different. It took us nearly 2 years to potty train our elder son, and we started when he turned 2. He was able at that point to express that he was going pee and poop, but he just didn't want to use a toilet, especially for pooping. Our younger son is 2 and a half and he's no where near being close to ready to even think about starting. He's just learned in the last two weeks to express that he's pooped, and he definitely hasn't that he's peed. I can't imagine starting him potty training until he's at least 3. 

Spurgeon may not have been ready before, and Jessa has just been following his lead (which is not a bad way to go about it). 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

Oh Jessa. She could have asked for advice without shaming the kid. Surely. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

I hate it when people overshare like this about their kids. Especially when they have thousands of followers. It's so wrong. But I guess that's the Duggars' entire m.o. so I can't be that surprised. I honestly hope some of these kids grow up and sue their parents for this shit.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 5

3 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Why a sister(mom) with 14 youngest siblings does not know all the tricks for potty training? There's a video where a very young Joy goes to change Johanna (she was a toddler and did pee or poo over Jim Bob). Those girls were in charge of diapers, potty and baths. I know every kid is different and that Spurge seem to be challenging in that matter. Jessa has been patient, not all moms wait until the kid is 3.5 years old, and I also understand she getting frustrated. But posting it is soooo wrong!!! I'm sure some of her younger siblings were slow in learning how to use the toilet... It's not new for her.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

• samurai_sarah locked this topic