IGNORED

Seewalds 38: Waiting on Seaweed Three

Coconut Flan

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, MaryOrMartha said:

I'm having trouble remembering if Ben & Jessa found out the sex of their babies and didn't share, or they didn't find out until birth?

IIRC, they knew but did not share with all but a couple of people. I’m not sure if Joy and Austin knew before the delivery.

4 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

IIRC, they knew but did not share with all but a couple of people. I’m not sure if Joy and Austin knew before the delivery.

With Ben and Jessa one of them wanted to know the sex and tell everyone and the other didn't want to find out. They decided that they would find out but keep it to themselves until the birth. Joy and Austin I think decided to wait until the birth.

38 minutes ago, MaryOrMartha said:

I'm having trouble remembering if Ben & Jessa found out the sex of their babies and didn't share, or they didn't find out until birth?

I think they found out and kept it to themselves

They told a few of the brothers and sisters.

I remember Jana knowing the sex for at least one of the two boys, and I think some of Jessa's buddy group as well.

Seriously, Goodwill is better than those consignment prices. For Four's first grade Father Daughter Dance, I bought her a $$$ flower girl/bridesmaid dress from the kid's section of Goodwill for 99 cents. Shorts? Tops? Jeans? 99 cents. Look 'em over, check the seams, zippers, buttons..... and away we went. 

Goodwill is pricier now that they have a "boutique" and a "vintage" section, but there are still good bargains to be had.

I know a gal who goes to the Goodwill outlets "everything 85 cents" , buys up all the Justice and like brand stuff, and resells it at her own yard sales for 3 to 5 dollars a piece/set. 

Bargains are out there, if you're willing to work to get to them.

I do a lot of shopping for my kids at places like Ross Dress for Less and Gabes. I usually pay about the same prices that Jessa paid at the consignment but for new items. I have nothing against consignment but our local ones are not good. We have a Once Upon a Child but their prices are not really a deal and we have a few local ones but the quality control is awful and you really have to look the clothing over which I don't have time for usually.  I will hit garage sales in the summer though. They have these huge neighborhood sales and you can get a lot of clothing cheap. 

17 hours ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

Old Navy has really gotten bad. I stopped shopping there years ago because I felt the quality was decreasing, but I went in there the other day with a friend and all the women's clothes were made of either that super cheapy thin fabric that constantly gets wrinkled, or this thick and starchy, equally crappy fabric.

Maybe it depends on what you get? Last summer I bought a few swing dresses there and I'm satisfied with the quality: a couple are thin, but the fabric is opaque and seems likely to last with care. And the maternity things I've bought from them are good; the plain solid-colored t-shirts are on the thin side, but that's actually the way I prefer them as long as I can't see my bra through them. I don't buy most of my clothing there, though, so not a huge experience to draw from for me.

Honestly, I like hitting big consignment sales. Someone mentioned Just Between Friends above, and I always go to their sales (twice a year in my area). Some people try to sell lousy-quality stuff or ask for ridiculous amounts or both, but I can still get most or all of the clothing I need for a particular kids' size for $100 or less in good condition. The thrift stores in my area are hit-or-miss and I work too many Saturdays to hunt yard sales effectively.

Agreeing that those prices Jessa listed are on the pricey side for the clothes, especially if they aren't new with the tags still on.

I surprised myself by preferring to buy my son new clothes instead of used. Before he was born I hit up all the local thrift shops and bought up all the good condition stuff I could, but in the end I found myself always grabbing for the newly bought clothing. I watch for sales and coupons and feel like I can find good deals that way. I was just able to buy 19 items (mix of shorts, jeans, sweaters, pajamas) for $68. Its kind of an interesting twist because I still have a very hard time buying myself anything new but such is parenthood I suppose, always giving our kids "better" than we give ourselves. 

Old navy is slightly better for adults than kids. A few years ago they had a big sale easily fall and I went crazy!! My older son was set for fall/winter (or so I thought) I kid you not, after 3-4 wear and wash cycles most of that stuff was getting small in the arms, or pants too short. By November or early December, I had to go back out to carters, gap, target, Gymboree, to purchase a whole new wardrobe for the kid! It was all unwearable. I put a 5t shirt from that lot on my 3 year this winter and it was truly too small. It’s so disappointing because they have cute stuff but I will not give them a dollar after that 

I've started buying all of my clothes (aside from jeans) from Amazon Essentials. The t-shirts that I favor are really well made, thickish material and hold their shape. Leggings, underwear, sports bras, all Amazon Essentials.

On 3/6/2019 at 7:11 PM, TheMustardCardigan said:

Old Navy has really gotten bad. I stopped shopping there years ago because I felt the quality was decreasing, but I went in there the other day with a friend and all the women's clothes were made of either that super cheapy thin fabric that constantly gets wrinkled, or this thick and starchy, equally crappy fabric.

I have noticed that the quality has gone down in the last few years. I used to buy some of my son's clothes from there when he was younger and as time went by the clothing felt cheapier and didn't last a few washings. I do have a pair of cords I bought myself from there about 10 years ago. They are still in great shape, but all of the other clothes I bought myself are long gone. 

17 hours ago, JesSky03 said:

I surprised myself by preferring to buy my son new clothes instead of used. Before he was born I hit up all the local thrift shops and bought up all the good condition stuff I could, but in the end I found myself always grabbing for the newly bought clothing. I watch for sales and coupons and feel like I can find good deals that way. I was just able to buy 19 items (mix of shorts, jeans, sweaters, pajamas) for $68. Its kind of an interesting twist because I still have a very hard time buying myself anything new but such is parenthood I suppose, always giving our kids "better" than we give ourselves. 

I have inherited a ton of stuff from family members. LittleJuly is almost 8 months old now and we've maybe bought 10 items of clothing for her in total, while having several boxes of clothes we never even got around to using. At first I was really happy - not just for the monetary savings, but also because clothes that have already been used and washed a few times are generally considered better for baby. The clothes are also really nice, very good quality, and some hold sentimental value because of who wore them before, so in a way I don't have anything to complain about.

However, I am beginning to resent a little that "my" baby is often not wearing "my" style. For example, LittleJuly has been wearing much more pink than I intended, simply because so much of the inherited stuff is pink/girly. I've discovered that it makes me really happy whenever LittleJuly is wearing something I specifically picked and bought for her. I have no idea what exactly this is or why I feel that way, though.

(Un)Fortunately we are now approaching the point where the inherited baby clothes are beginning to run out. For the next size, we'll probably have/get to buy quite a bit ourselves. I am both annoyed and thrilled about this ?

@SweetJuly I am with you on this one. I have a slightly complicated family situation (ex and how the rest of the family and I connect still and whatnot) Little Outta was kindly gifted a huge amount of clothes from (ex) SIL, like dating back to the her first kid having worn it. While it warms my heart that she wanted him to have some things her kids wore and honestly they were some good clothes, I feel like I did not use them as much as things I bought, especially with this last size. Little Outta grew rather slow so we did get a a lot of use, but I am happy we are getting into things we picked out. I totally get the "annoyed and thrilled" part. I am also thisclose to just tossing everything Mr. Outta's sister (actual SIL) loaned us. Her style is so far from our style and is not super comfortable for a baby, but alas, I feel guilty so I will just wait until he outgrows it. ETA: Also what is up with that "Sanetta" brand it runs so small and half of the onesies/bodys/vest (<--pick a term) were too small even three sizes bigger. Avoid them.

I am going that way too with my children. I thought I would be into thrifting everything. But like, I can go to Carters/Oshkosh or even Walmart and get my kids t-shirts and shorts for about $5 a piece and that's worth it for me for them to have some new things. Thats not THAT much more than if I'd gone to Once Upon a Child. With shoes, I buy my toddler two new pairs of shoes a season that'll go with everything. I have two boys that are only 18 months apart so I don't buy much for my second yet. It's admittedly kind of a relief to just go open the container I saved of the next size up and simply buy what is missing owing to the fact that they were born during opposite seasons of the year. It's also satisfying to know that if I buy my first a set of new things that they won't just get used one season and discarded once they're outgrown. It makes buying new a little more worth it because I'm hoping this stuff will last through at least two kids. 

I love thrifting, and it's great in the UK because of all the charity shops everywhere (PROTIP: go to charity/thrift shops in upscale neighborhoods because you can get some great stuff for a bargain -- I once found a Michael Kors dress for like 10 pounds, and only didn't buy it because the color was almost exactly my skin tone, which made me look like a very fancy serial killer wearing a flesh-dress), but I'm very petite and have a very particular clothing style/aesthetic, so I don't thrift as often as I'd like because I know that it's always a big time investment and a loooooot of sifting through to find stuff that will fit me and fit my style (basically, Single White Femaling Meghan Markle). 

Also, if you want some damn good bargains on makeup (and don't mind the odd damaged pan or spraying everything with a bit of rubbing alcohol to sterilize), TJMaxx/TKMaxx and Marshalls carry some awesome stuff. I have a Tarte highlight/contour palette I got for practically a steal, and if I wasn't practically drowning in mostly-neutral eye palettes I need to work my way through, I would have bought a Too Faced Chocolate Bar palette for like 50% off the original price. 

39 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I love thrifting, and it's great in the UK because of all the charity shops everywhere (PROTIP: go to charity/thrift shops in upscale neighborhoods because you can get some great stuff for a bargain -- I once found a Michael Kors dress for like 10 pounds, and only didn't buy it because the color was almost exactly my skin tone, which made me look like a very fancy serial killer wearing a flesh-dress)

Yeah, there's a couple thrift stores in the rich neighborhoods near me in the U.S. that have some really great stuff. 

The prices aren't rock bottom (nothing is 99 cents) but it's worth it to me to get quality stuff that I'll wear forever. I picked up a cashmere Banana Republic turtleneck for $6, an awesome vintage red dress that I still wear eight years later, a 100% wool pleated skirt with a vintage French tag, brand new Nike workout tops for $2 each, and basically all of my dressy clutch bags. They also keep the shops really clean and there isn't that "second hand funk" like in some places. 

I also really don't like the disposable fashion culture and think thrifting is a good way to bypass that. It warms the cockles of my heart to know the Brits have this too!

11 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Yeah, there's a couple thrift stores in the rich neighborhoods near me in the U.S. that have some really great stuff. 

The prices aren't rock bottom (nothing is 99 cents) but it's worth it to me to get quality stuff that I'll wear forever. I picked up a cashmere Banana Republic turtleneck for $6, an awesome vintage red dress that I still wear eight years later, a 100% wool pleated skirt with a vintage French tag, brand new Nike workout tops for $2 each, and basically all of my dressy clutch bags. They also keep the shops really clean and there isn't that "second hand funk" like in some places. 

I also really don't like the disposable fashion culture and think thrifting is a good way to bypass that. It warms the cockles of my heart to know the Brits have this too!

My mom makes a point of finding the nearest Goodwill in any affluent town she's in. I learned from the best. 

1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I love thrifting, and it's great in the UK because of all the charity shops everywhere (PROTIP: go to charity/thrift shops in upscale neighborhoods because you can get some great stuff for a bargain -- I once found a Michael Kors dress for like 10 pounds, and only didn't buy it because the color was almost exactly my skin tone, which made me look like a very fancy serial killer wearing a flesh-dress), but I'm very petite and have a very particular clothing style/aesthetic, so I don't thrift as often as I'd like because I know that it's always a big time investment and a loooooot of sifting through to find stuff that will fit me and fit my style (basically, Single White Femaling Meghan Markle). 

Also, if you want some damn good bargains on makeup (and don't mind the odd damaged pan or spraying everything with a bit of rubbing alcohol to sterilize), TJMaxx/TKMaxx and Marshalls carry some awesome stuff. I have a Tarte highlight/contour palette I got for practically a steal, and if I wasn't practically drowning in mostly-neutral eye palettes I need to work my way through, I would have bought a Too Faced Chocolate Bar palette for like 50% off the original price. 

I like to go to the rich area goodwills and thrift stores. Found some designer "out of season" fashion. Ugg boots for $12 and adidas track pants for $6? Dont mind if I do! ?

Also I have way too many eyeshadow palettes but there are so many pretty ones coming out all the time! 

I went in the opposite direction on my kid’s clothing. We got involved with a pregnancy center and they did ‘baby bucks’ for parents when you watched educational videos and did worksheets and stuff. I spent less than $20 on clothing his first two years of life because they had so much great stuff.

Once he outgrew them I went all thrift. I buy the odd new shirt for pictures and such, but since neither my son nor I care much about style it works for us lol. He is five and still doesn’t care what he wears, while his buddies (boys and girls) have all started making clothing choices. Honestly, most days I call it good when he keeps his pants on in the house ?

Another one who got tons of clothes for my first baby (between baby showers, hand me downs from my niece, and my mom's shopping addiction) and barely bought anything for her the first 1.5 year or so. I didn't really mind though, except that like @SweetJuly her wardrobe ended up looking a lot pinker than if I had picked out most of her clothes myself! Second baby is also a girl, born in the same season, so I don't buy much for her either. They pretty much get new clothes for special occasions and that's it!

The only items I don't ever really buy used are shoes. It's better for the feet to have shoes that conform to your particular foot. 

I struggle with my kids clothes. I found thrifting was really easy up till they were about three. And then, after that, I have had no luck. The odd pair of jeans here and there, but almost everything else is crap at the thrift stores.  At about 4, I think kids are just a lot harder on their clothes.  But I struggle because I don't like throw away culture, so I don't like buying cheap, poorly made kids clothes new.  Old Navy and Children's Place just doesn't have the quality I am looking for (I have two girls, so I expect the clothes to last for at least the both of them). I found Gap and Carters a bit better, but I do expect to spend about $10 CAD on an item, I occasionally have luck finding designer kids clothes on varagesale (living near a wealthy neighbourhood has perks), but I do find it expensive to dress my kids for all four seasons.  

I should add, basic stuff like t-shirts from Walmart are surprisingly durable.  It just involves sifting throughout a lot of tacky (IMO) clothes with to find nice, classic styles.  

I have a lot more success finding clothes and house stuff for myself at thrift stores.  

My lovely sister in law "gifted" us a TON of hand me downs at my son's first birthday. It was such poor tact giving it to us at his birthday party. We didn't have the party at our house so we had to load up all the decorations, food, gifts, etc. and clean up afterwards. Nobody really stayed to help us so we were left trying to do it on our own with a worn out 1 year old. I didn't need this giant box and garbage bags full of hand me downs to sift through in addition to the new stuff my son was just given. And on top of it, 75% of the clothing was just not worth keeping. Almost all the jeans had giant holes in the knees, the pajamas were stained in the crotch areas and were pilled beyond recognition, and her son was born in a different season than mine (and is 8 years old so a lot of this is out of fashion). She knew a lot of it should have been tossed a long time ago but she didn't want to be the one to do it so she dumped it on us. She did the same thing at my baby shower. I am truly hoping this was the last of son's stuff. 

I went to Goodwill yesterday so I could get myself some "new" clothes since I don't like anything I own since having my son. I'm still trying to figure out my identity post baby, and it doesn't help that I started working from home 2 months before he was born so I no longer need all of my business casual clothes. Anyway I did end up finding a few things for my son because they were either new or in new condition and would fill the gaps in his wardrobe. I found him a winter coat for $3 so that was awesome since it will still be chilly here for a couple months yet. I have found great deals on new shoes for him at Target. Every now and then they have extra percentage off their clearance shoes so I grab what I think he'll need down the road and get an awesome deal. He's not even in a size 4 yet but he's set through size 7.

My favorite place for thrifting is the St. Vincent de Paul Dig & Save here in Madison, WI. You buy clothes by the pound there, and half price Wednesdays are when I go. There is a line waiting outside the door before they open. People are polite though. You dig through these large bins. I have found many great clothes there.  I do wash before wearing of course. Love that place. 

https://svdpmadison.org/shop/dig-save/

10 minutes ago, Divemaster01 said:

My favorite place for thrifting is the St. Vincent de Paul Dig & Save here in Madison, WI. You buy clothes by the pound there, and half price Wednesdays are when I go. There is a line waiting outside the door before they open. People are polite though. You dig through these large bins. I have found many great clothes there.  I do wash before wearing of course. Love that place. 

https://svdpmadison.org/shop/dig-save/

I can't do those types of places. My husband is too much a packrat. We went to a Goodwill outlet once where they also have the giant bins and you pay by the pound and we left with a bunch of rusted muffin tins (and other "useful" stuff) that my husband wanted for some "project". That was 3-4 years ago. There are still rusted muffin tins taking up space in our storage shed. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived