IGNORED

Seewalds 38: Waiting on Seaweed Three

Coconut Flan

Pullups are just glorified diapers, so IMO they are bad for training.  They have their place, but it's better to go right from diapers to undies.  We used them at night when they were too big for diapers but weren't night trained yet, but only sparingly during the day (e.g., when we took Sporty on a plane 3 days after she started wearing undies).

32 minutes ago, Chewing Gum said:

Who knew Jill would be the kind, thoughtful savvy one at Instagram instead of Jessa. 

None of the Duggars have been taught appropriate boundaries, so while Jessa is better on the whole, she still is a chronic oversharer (mountain of dirty diapers, anyone?),

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disposable diapers are just so easy for parents that they don't try when their kids are young. Also the kid doesn't mind the diapers until the kid doesn't try as hard. Potty training was definitely difficult when kids were in cloth diapers but it was also expected to happen by about 18 months which makes things harder.

My almost three year old is fully day drained just couldn't care less about night training. If disposable diapers when it's so comfortable I think he might be trying

2 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Are Jills boys potty trained? Since we don’t know either way it means she at least has enough couth to keep that private.  If Jessa really wanted to know she could have asked Her or Michelle or Anna. Miss thang just wants attention. 

Israel turns 4 next month. I don’t know for sure that he’s potty trained, but we’ve seen photos that clearly show that they have Pull-ups in the house*. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s fully or mostly potty trained at this point.

Sam won’t be 2 until July, so he’s definitely on the young side for potty training. It’s not impossible he is, but I’d guess it’s not likely. 

*I’m pretty sure I’m remembering this right. I’m almost positive I remember a photo showing a closet in the background that had a box or package of Pull-ups in it. 

It's developmentally unlikely that a child can be potty trained before (IIRC) 18 months. They simply don't have control of those muscles yet, though you do get exceptions. Most start becoming interested around 2, 2.5 years, but it's not uncommon for kids to still be in nappies after three and a few are still in them when theyre four.
As a childcare worker... thank god for pullups, especially the ones with the detachable sides ?

I will always remember Erika Shupe talking about potty training on the original LFOP blog. She used a method that potty trained kids in a day. IIRC it involved her and the kid being in the bathroom for several hours one day, and having the kid drink a lot of juice and eating salty snacks. She mentioned that Karen, her eldest, was afraid of pooping in the toilet, which I always thought was super inappropriate IMO - what teenager would want their mother talking about that kind of thing on the internet?? Erika then did a follow up post about potty training her twins (her youngest two), which involved not just Erika but Karen as well. What was particularly odd about the twins post was that Erika had photos of the twins in just their undies. One of the commenters asked about it, and Erika was like "they're so little. Maybe they should have worn a t-shirt, but again they're so little". Given her (at the time) big insistence on modesty and skirts only for girls, that attitude was odd. If posting photographs of her two-year-old toddler girls in just their underpants was fine, why so insistent on skirts/dresses and leggings the rest of the time?

One of her sons, I forget which, was also more difficult to train than her other sons. I think she began training him at around age 3 as she had done for her other boys, it didn't work for whatever reason, and then she gave up and eventually he cottoned on at around age 4-5. 

9 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I will always remember Erika Shupe talking about potty training on the original LFOP blog. She used a method that potty trained kids in a day. IIRC it involved her and the kid being in the bathroom for several hours one day, and having the kid drink a lot of juice and eating salty snacks.

This sounds like intensive potty training, which is what my early intervention (for kids with developmental delays) clinic does.

Poor Spurge looks embaressed by the vid where he wet his pants. He is young but old enough to feel ashamed that his mother is filming him. Put down the phone and clean him up! It reminds me of the 19kac epiosde where Josie had an accident and they zoomed in to show a closeup of it. Not everything needs to be on camera.

22 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

So I thought "damn, I am an excellent mother!"

I have come to realise during the years that most things that goes right in the upbringing of Miniway is just luck and nothing I did. :pb_lol:

He is a stubborn child (definitly mine) and he just refused to go on the toilet or the potty. We started bringing it up when he was 2 and kept trying now and then but he was almost 4 when he finally got it. Once he got it he only had a handfull of accidents though so that was nice. Now he yells ”I have to pee” or ”I have to poo” loudly and runs for the bathroom while pulling his pants down ... :obscene-buttmoon:

I found Pull Ups invaluable when my oldest kid wasn't ready to stop wearing diapers yet, but would freak out and scream if I tried to change her on an elevated changing table in a public restroom. She really doesn't like heights, and lying on her back 3 feet off the ground with no side rails or anything really upset her. So, we used diapers at home and Pull Ups if we were at a restaurant or a store.

Pull Ups didn't seem to be quite as absorbent as most diapers, but they still beat trying to diaper an utterly freaked out screaming 2 year old. (I know some people are good at changing a child's wet diaper while the child is standing, but I just never got good at it.) I'm just glad there are choices.

I still use Pull Ups at night with my 3.5 year old. He's fully trained during the day but we have battled sleep issues with him since he was born and I don't care to wake him in the night to train him to go. On days that he takes naps, he stays in underwear and doesn't wet the bed so if he's still in nighttime pull ups for another 6 months or whatever, I don't care.

22 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I agree with this. My daughter cloth diapered her little one and my GD was fully day and night trained by 2, and I don’t think she ever had an accident. She hated having a wet cloth diaper. She also had really good verbal skills and could express when she needed to go. Spurgeon does not seem like he has made the connection between having to go and wetting himself. 

I think some of my kids might have trained faster if they wore cloth all the time, but I did transition them to thick cloth panties when training. Six of em, ran between 2 and 3. 

I, however, was a bit late. I know this because I was told I didn't talk til 3, skipped over baby talk to full conversations. And I remember distinctly sitting on my musical potty chair with people watching. I just don't think I would remember if I were younger. 

So in conclusion, I have no strong opinion about this. But I feel much the same as when I learned all my online friends were reading books, apparently, while I was still potty-training, while I learned to read the same way I talked; not til 6 and all at once. Oh, well. ?

My oldest potty trained shortly before she turned 2. We used disposable diapers with her. My MIL sent her some Dora the Explorer undies when he baby brother was born (she was 22 months) and she decided she was going to wear them. She was already waking up dry most morning and peeing on the potty when she woke up so I do think she was ready. She had a couple of accidents the first week, mostly fumbling with clothing but after that she was good to go. 

My middle child was 3.5 almost 4 when he finally used the toilet on a regular basis.  He really showed no interest. I tried a few times when he was 2ish but he didn't show any interest and I didn't want to get in a battle over it. Finally, he decided he wanted to try to he figured out he wouldn't be able to start preschool in diapers. He was pretty quick after that. We used disposable diapers until he was 2 1/2 and then switched to cloth training pants thinking that maybe feeling wet would help motivate him. He really did not care and wouldn't even tell me when he was wet so I could change him.

With my youngest we did cloth from day 1. She was about 2 1/2 when she potty trained. She was totally ready before then. She would run around naked on the bottom while we were home and she wouldn't have any accidents but she wouldn't sit on the potty either. She would cry for a diaper to go in. I tried to insist on using the potty but I always gave in since I couldn't handle her being uncomfortable. I went away for a weekend with girlfriends and my husband potty trained her while I was gone. She asked him for a diaper. He said no. She asked again. So he bribed her offering a treat. She asked for taco bell, he said yes and she peed on the potty. After she went the first time she was completely fine using the potty. She did use a pull up or cloth trainer at night until she was almost 5 since she would wet the bed overnight. She was completely find during the day, even while napping but couldn't make it through the night. 

it must be hard for little Duggar girls who have to cope with a long dress and tights or leggings.

6 hours ago, Deleorean88mph said:

Poor Spurge looks embaressed by the vid where he wet his pants. He is young but old enough to feel ashamed that his mother is filming him. Put down the phone and clean him up! It reminds me of the 19kac epiosde where Josie had an accident and they zoomed in to show a closeup of it. Not everything needs to be on camera.

all of a sudden my parents have started to video each other on their cellphones when discussing important things...the other day they were debating to buy a house...my mom wanted to show me except it was two videos of each of them in bed in their pj's discussing whether they should buy the house...and let's remember my mother is 75 and and my dad is 77 and has a bridge which he doesn't wear in bed...so imagine that picture. 

tmi 

and on Real housewives of atlanta i think the lady is kandi - she toliet trained her son from when he was like 6 months old...she would put him on the toliet and make him go that way. 

My older son turns 4 in June and needs diapers only at night.

I got a lot of criticism from my mom and other older relatives for starting to potty train him at 2 because he was “too old” and “he was already too late for being potty trained” and that “he will still be in diapers when he’ll hit school age” (usually 6 years in Germany). I was so angry at them but didn’t give in to what they were saying. Back in the GDR, the nursery school teachers used to sit all children at the same time on little toilets (picture below) and we were supposed to all pee/poo at the same time. This started at 1 year old and was used by my relatives as an example for me how it is possible that 1 year olds are potty trained. They totally ignore the fact that a) not everyone needs to go potty at the same time. We were not allowed to get up until we peed/pooped. This was torture... b) The child didn’t learn to listen to their body/control their muscles but to obey the adult and to function (like this famous training method for animals I forgot the name of...Pavlov maybe?) So, not every child did suffer and for some it worked but for the others, like me, it was terrible and I still have bladder issues today.

Spoiler

4DF312C3-BC03-44B3-8E86-417840F7AB28.jpeg.de2b3554a200379d2d2e99180238b4fc.jpeg

3 hours ago, BrandoBarks said:

My older son turns 4 in June and needs diapers only at night.

I got a lot of criticism from my mom and other older relatives for starting to potty train him at 2 because he was “too old” and “he was already too late for being potty trained” and that “he will still be in diapers when he’ll hit school age” (usually 6 years in Germany). I was so angry at them but didn’t give in to what they were saying. Back in the GDR, the nursery school teachers used to sit all children at the same time on little toilets (picture below) and we were supposed to all pee/poo at the same time. This started at 1 year old and was used by my relatives as an example for me how it is possible that 1 year olds are potty trained. They totally ignore the fact that a) not everyone needs to go potty at the same time. We were not allowed to get up until we peed/pooped. This was torture... b) The child didn’t learn to listen to their body/control their muscles but to obey the adult and to function (like this famous training method for animals I forgot the name of...Pavlov maybe?) So, not every child did suffer and for some it worked but for the others, like me, it was terrible and I still have bladder issues today.

Reveal hidden contents

4DF312C3-BC03-44B3-8E86-417840F7AB28.jpeg.de2b3554a200379d2d2e99180238b4fc.jpeg

There were some really hard parenting techniques back in the day. My husband and I cringed every time when my grandmothers suggest that „screaming is good for strong lungs“. Interestingly, as soon as she does cry they are all over her cooing and trying to calm her. 

16 hours ago, Chewing Gum said:

Who knew Jill would be the kind, thoughtful savvy one at Instagram instead of Jessa. 

I give it a week until the pendulum swings back the other way! 

11 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

I still use Pull Ups at night with my 3.5 year old. He's fully trained during the day but we have battled sleep issues with him since he was born and I don't care to wake him in the night to train him to go. On days that he takes naps, he stays in underwear and doesn't wet the bed so if he's still in nighttime pull ups for another 6 months or whatever, I don't care.

Agreed. My 3.5 year old started training just after her second birthday (at her own insistence) but hated every moment of it... she finally got the hang of it just after turning three. She will NOT wear underwear to bed. It MUST be a pull-up. She is always dry in the mornings and sometimes even wakes up to pee overnight. BUT she just will NOT drop the pull-up overnight. It's not a battle I want to fight, so pull-ups it is. 

Pullups or Goodnites (do they still make these in the US?) were a godsend for us. DS was a bed wetter until he was nearly 7 or 8 years old.  Doctor told us it was completely normal for boys that age and not to worry he'd outgrow it, and he did.  They don't worry about night time accidents until the kids are around, I think 10. 

@twoandthrough my friends almost 3 year old is potty training (she's due again this summer and wants him out of diapers before the baby comes) and he REFUSES to wear underwear at anytime, he is also now refusing to wear a diaper, she said he is really enjoying this whole commando thing he's got going. :pb_lol:

Yeah, night time training is different. Kids have to know to wake up, and also your body puts out a hormone for you to not have to go as much at night when you are sleeping, and sometimes that takes longer to develop in different kids. So, more of a physiologic thing.

That said, we were using pull ups (overnights) with my son up until 6 months ago and thought he just was taking longer (he's 6)... so we decided to try cold turkey and ditch the pull up (rather than wait for him to be dry for a bit) and voila... he was just being lazy and peeing in it either right before he'd go to sleep, or first thing in the morning, little turd.  No accidents since we took the pull ups away.

3 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

@twoandthrough my friends almost 3 year old is potty training (she's due again this summer and wants him out of diapers before the baby comes) and he REFUSES to wear underwear at anytime, he is also now refusing to wear a diaper, she said he is really enjoying this whole commando thing he's got going. :pb_lol:

My daughter did refuse to wear underwear at all for a good long time. Luckily, she still wanted a diaper, though! She decided the perfect time to ditch the diapers was during our cross country move last fall. She demanded panties and asked to stop to go potty at every "bass station" she saw from the highway. She is a spirited one for sure. Strong willed and knows what she wants when she wants it. 

I was potty trained at 2. My parents tried the same thing with my sister and she pouted and said "I will use the potty when I'm 3!" She got underwear for her 3rd birthday and was potty trained that day, of her own volition. 

My oldest and youngest brothers did the skittles/star chart, I helped potty train them. They were boys so they thought aiming pee in the toilet was fun, and it all happened quickly. 

My middle brother had nighttime issues for a LONG time (like age 6/7) and had to get this thing called "Starry" that vibrated your underwear when it got wet to signal that you needed to get up and go to the bathroom. 

My oldest was close to 4, my running joke was “I guess his wife will have to train him”.  He is now 30, married and all is well.

My son is almost 2 and a half, and he is no where near close to potty training. My husband and I are trying for our second baby and I am dreading having 2 in diapers. But I figure we will cross that bridge when we arrive.

1 hour ago, MaryOrMartha said:

My son is almost 2 and a half, and he is no where near close to potty training. My husband and I are trying for our second baby and I am dreading having 2 in diapers. But I figure we will cross that bridge when we arrive.

Sometimes you get to encourage the older one by having him see how the baby needs changes all the time. Big people don't have to do that anymore. As long as it's worded positively and not, you know, "why are you still being a baby," of course.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived