IGNORED

Seewalds 38: Waiting on Seaweed Three

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Eh, all kids are different. It took us nearly 2 years to potty train our elder son, and we started when he turned 2. He was able at that point to express that he was going pee and poop, but he just didn't want to use a toilet, especially for pooping. Our younger son is 2 and a half and he's no where near being close to ready to even think about starting. He's just learned in the last two weeks to express that he's pooped, and he definitely hasn't that he's peed. I can't imagine starting him potty training until he's at least 3. 

Spurgeon may not have been ready before, and Jessa has just been following his lead (which is not a bad way to go about it). 

That's what I said to my Mom when I waited until my son was between 2.5 and 3 and she was like, in most of the world the kids are potty trained around 1 so this whole "waiting for them to be ready" doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But honestly my son just had no clue that young...

• Upvote 3

I've often wondered if disposable diapers play a part. They're so much better at wicking away moisture than cloth diapers. Maybe they're less uncomfortable for a kid, therefore not the same urgency to potty train. No idea, just a thought.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 12

One of my kids was crazy easy.  He never once had a poo accident, and only one pee accident (in the middle of an IKEA, unfortunately.) I think he was between 2 & 2-1/2.  He never wet the bed, either.  

So I thought "damn, I am an excellent mother!"  The younger child, however, was much harder.  Oy vey!  The pants-wetting was strong with that one.  My sister was babysitting him one day and noticed a problem.  She asked him "Oh, LittleFortress, did you have an accident?"  And he answered her back "No, but I did wet my pants!"   Good times.  Good times.  He 17 now and is such a good kid.  So funny to remember those times.

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I've often wondered if disposable diapers play a part. They're so much better at wicking away moisture than cloth diapers. Maybe they're less uncomfortable for a kid, therefore not the same urgency to potty train. No idea, just a thought.

My midwife told me it’s definitely a thing. She said to let kids run around in the nick in summer and they’ll soon associate the bladder sensation that comes beforehand, with the process of peeing. That approach worked for one of mine. The other just didn’t give a damn. Nothing worked for him except getting a baby sibling and declaring that ‘only babies poo in nappies’ and deciding that he would poo in the toilet. He’s still ornery and won’t do anything unless it suits him and his timing! :D 

Edited by adidas
Punctuation is a good thing
  • Upvote 18

3 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Eh, all kids are different. It took us nearly 2 years to potty train our elder son, and we started when he turned 2. He was able at that point to express that he was going pee and poop, but he just didn't want to use a toilet, especially for pooping. Our younger son is 2 and a half and he's no where near being close to ready to even think about starting. He's just learned in the last two weeks to express that he's pooped, and he definitely hasn't that he's peed. I can't imagine starting him potty training until he's at least 3. 

Spurgeon may not have been ready before, and Jessa has just been following his lead (which is not a bad way to go about it). 

Oh, I get that. Every kid is different, and some might have issues that make them not quite ready yet. But Jessa's post makes it sound like she's only just started potty training at 3.5 years old which is very late. Most people, barring medical reasons, at least start at 2 or 2.5 (like you) but might not be successful for months or even a year. To start so late just seems...idk, it just seems so late to start, again, unless Spur has an unknown issue that his otherwise oversharing mom isn't telling us. 3.5 is almost old enough to be in Pre-K, for example. 

Now, maybe she tried earlier and it just didn't work, but her post makes it sound like she's only just starting now. That's the part that the other poster (and me personally) take issue with. That this is the starting point, not that he isn't fully potty trained yet. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Probably just to boost engagement numbers on her account. That’s a pretty normal move by people who work in SM. They often ask random questions they could a) just google, b) should know already or c) aren’t really interested in the actual answers (like ’what are you up to‘ etc).

What is "SM"?

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I hate it when people overshare like this about their kids. Especially when they have thousands of followers. It's so wrong. But I guess that's the Duggars' entire m.o. so I can't be that surprised. I honestly hope some of these kids grow up and sue their parents for this shit.

Hey! Rufus is back!! Hooray!!!

• Rufus Bless 5

1 hour ago, BernRul said:

Now, maybe she tried earlier and it just didn't work, but her post makes it sound like she's only just starting now. That's the part that the other poster (and me personally) take issue with. That this is the starting point, not that he isn't fully potty trained yet. 

Yeah, 3.5 is super late to start. My son's preschool wouldn't take them on field trips if they weren't potty trained by then. Also, she is 7 months pregnant, I just can't imagine dealing with this at the end of the pregnancy when you're tired, you have another toddler to take care of, you don't sleep well anymore, etc. My entire reason for potty training was that I was having #2 and wanted to minimize the work I had to do between them.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Sounds like helping him remember scripture is more important than helping him learn to use the potty. It will probably be easier to train Henry because he will see Spurg using the potty throughout the day. That's how some siblings learn.

• I Agree 5

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I agree with this. My daughter cloth diapered her little one and my GD was fully day and night trained by 2, and I don’t think she ever had an accident. She hated having a wet cloth diaper. She also had really good verbal skills and could express when she needed to go. Spurgeon does not seem like he has made the connection between having to go and wetting himself. 

• Upvote 5

Wearing heavy sweatpants can't help. This is the Duggars, so he can't be naked or just wearing his new underwear. Too defrauding.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Wearing heavy sweatpants can't help. This is the Duggars, so he can't be naked or just wearing his new underwear. Too defrauding.

Not to mention how hard it would be for either mother or child to quickly and easily get those pants down.

• Upvote 4

Y’all know Duggars are not really empathetic and have a twisted sense of humor... remember Josiah’s baby prank and JB ‘kidnapping’ the Bates kids?  And Spurgeon May or might have been ready awhile ago but Jessa is lazy as hell so there is that.  

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

That’s exactly why children shouldn’t be on Social media. It often starts with cute photos but parents often think that something is cute while others only cringe. 

While I feel like 3,5 is late I have no idea if Jessa is lazy or if she tried before and he just wasn’t ready. I also often heard that boys take longer/are ready later (obviously not every boy). Every child has its own pace. So maybe she was sensible or maybe not. We will probably never know.

• Upvote 8

I won't shame her for potty training late because we don't know if she has only just started him or has been trying for a while. The video was something that shouldn't have been on social media though, Jessa may not have intended it as shaming Spurgeon but it's something he would be great embarrassed by in later life, I see people on Facebook posting similar things thinking this is hilarious, not thinking of the embarrassment it will cause in later life. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

I think kids presence on social media should be severely limited.

I know people who post non stop of their kids. Like every day, there's a new kid photo. A lot of it is stuff that the kid might be embarrassed about later. If the child can't consent to being online, than it's not really fair to the kid. 

I also get that people want to update their friends and relatives. In my opinion, a good compromise is to post some photos every now and then, nothing too personal, on special occasions. Save the other photos for something more private. But again, that's just me.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 7

My son was IMPOSSIBLE to potty train, he was 3.5 when he finally started going pee in the potty, but he would ONLY do that if he could stand and go. Pooping was a whole other story, he was almost 4.5 before we FINALLY got him to do that, and all because he was afraid of sitting on the toilet. I have no idea why, we had a little seat that fit on the toilet to help keep the kids from falling in. I personally found potty chairs disgusting, I couldn't stand the thought of using them so I didn't, but that is just me.  My daughter was a breeze, at 2.5 I put her in panties, she had like 2 accidents that 1st day and after that she it figured out. 

The majority of boys are potty trained by 3.5 he's almost there and he'll figure it out, hopefully he'll have it down and not have relapse after Threewald arrives. 

• Upvote 5

@Bad Wolf and @SassyPants I've heard often about clothdiapers making potty training easier. Nope. I was raised in cloth diapers, like my whole generation, and it was as challenging as now (ask grandmas how they pottytrained). Disposables made parents lives easier, and as they hadn't to wash, they relaxed and potty trained later, waiting for the kid to be ready or almost ready to get self control. But back when they had to wash, potty training used to be very strict and not always easy.

Someone posted that in most parts of the world kids are potty trained at 1 year old. I don't think so. They are naked or wear clothes easily opened, so moms just clean the floor but it does not mean that babies control. If babies could control at 1 year old, there wouldn't exist something called potty training, as it doesn't exist speak training or walk training. Normal development means kids peeing or pooing uncontrolled for a longest time than parents want to wait.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, BernRul said:

I think kids presence on social media should be severely limited.

I know people who post non stop of their kids. Like every day, there's a new kid photo. A lot of it is stuff that the kid might be embarrassed about later. If the child can't consent to being online, than it's not really fair to the kid. 

I also get that people want to update their friends and relatives. In my opinion, a good compromise is to post some photos every now and then, nothing too personal, on special occasions. Save the other photos for something more private. But again, that's just me.

I feel the same my brother and his partner live in the south of England and I rarely see my niece's, so it's nice to see their pictures but they don't over share pictures and definitely don't post things that my niece's would be embarrassed by in years to come. Jessa definitely got it wrong this time. 

• Upvote 4

I think Jessa and Michelle both have said that they don't start potty training until the child can pull their pants up and down by themselves. It seems like Spurgeon wasn't interested and Jessa didn't push the issue until the idea of 3 kids in diapers was a real possibility. But that second video should have never been posted. There are a million different ways she could have asked her followers for advice without embarrassing the poor kid. I guess spending the better part of your formative years with a camera shoved in your face has obliterated any concept of privacy you ever had.

I do have to give Jill one tiny sliver of credit here, at least she hasn't posted any potty training mishaps of Israel. Questionable recipes or #besthubbyever, yes, but accidents, no. (Now don't disappoint me Jill)   

Edited by hethamahay
fixing wonky sentences
  • Upvote 19
  • I Agree 1

Are Jills boys potty trained? Since we don’t know either way it means she at least has enough couth to keep that private.  If Jessa really wanted to know she could have asked Her or Michelle or Anna. Miss thang just wants attention. 

• Upvote 2

I really think that the amount of pictures on social media for young kids is less important than what they are. My cousin and his wife post a TON of pictures of their baby (hes probably the cutest kid ever), but it's almost 100% him smiling and them showing off his shirt, or him just being cute. Every now and then there's a video of him not liking cake, but nothing that would be embarrassing in the future. They'll occasionally talk about things like that in person or people they're close to will get other photos/videos sent privately, but I dont think a large volume of photos/videos online is bad as long as the parents are careful about the content. I dont think parents should post about their kids' struggles, I think that's the type of thing that you talk about more privately or in a group chat with a few people.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

Who knew Jill would be the kind, thoughtful savvy one at Instagram instead of Jessa. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6

19 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I think the disposables do keep the kids much drier.  Not sure about the Pull Ups, though, those might not be nearly as absorbent.  

• samurai_sarah locked this topic