IGNORED

Counting On Season 8/9/10 2: How low will they go? (CW: Miscarriage)

Coconut Flan

4 minutes ago, justodd said:

I found out I had kidney cancer just before Christmas. I’m lucky, in that it was very small and the doctor was able to fully remove it in one surgery, so the only real concern I have to struggle with is how the hell I'm going to pay for it all. That said, there were some people I’d really expected to “be there” in terms of emotional support, and few of them really did. It’s been sobering, and kind of sad,  but it has made me appreciate the ones who’ve stepped up so much more.

I wish you the very best. ? 

I don't really have anyone to talk about things with. Support groups have been suggested, but I find it very hard to open up in front of people I don't know. I thought I was close despite some distance with one of my Aunt's, but I haven't heard a peep from her in months. My friend that I thought I had, has drifted away pretty much. 

I just realise I'm more alone than I thought I was before. Thing is, I'm close to my dad, but I can't talk to him about any of this.  It's very hard. Truly the hardest time of my life. 

I don't mean to sound like a pity party, apologies if it comes across that way.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Sky with diamonds You are in all our hearts. (and Dad) ❤️

We may not be support or therapy per se. But if someone mentions something enough, it registers, and then you get included in my thoughts. I think it works that way for a lot of us.

On 2/19/2019 at 11:18 PM, picklepizzas said:

Honestly, though, we don’t know if the seewalds do have an income. We’ve never seen the receipts.  Maybe they get paid to be on the show but maybe not. Ever since I learned that Bachelor contestants aren’t paid, I’ve been more inclined to believe derricks “volunteers” assertion, at least re: the individual children. (Though I am sure Jim bob is *somehow* getting paid). Maybe both Jessa and Jill are living off trust funds that jb set up for them off the family show money. Or maybe both of them are living beyond their means and relying on support from their families. We know veryyy little about their finances. I don’t think it’s fair to assume Jill is living so far beyond her means and the seewalds are not when we don’t know about either of their “means”.

They get paid a fair amount to be on TV. TLC has a lot of money and gives generous salaries to cast members.

On 2/19/2019 at 5:24 PM, AtlanticTug said:

My point is not that women should be in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant. Obviously if it were, I wouldn't be here.

My point is that Jill constantly gets shit on for everything she does - she's a terrible cook, her house is a mess, her kids are wearing inappropriate winter clothing, she takes photos of herself in wrinked clothing, she can't take one good photo, she feeds her kids crap, she may or may not be reading her kids books on the confederacy based on some blurry image of a book largely obscured by other books (most of which were very mainstream kids' books), she reads books to Izzy that are inappropriate for his age, topic or whatever. Like literally EVERY single thing she does is bad. And I don't want to be white knighting for her because I actually find her one of the most irritating Duggars by a mile, but come on.

Meanwhile we don't see Jessa cooking much of anything at all, her house is equally as messy (I've not seen anything as nasty as soiled diapers piled around and I have young children), she and Ben eat out a lot (but nobody questions how THEY pay for it), she's at TTH waaaay more than Jill, and with the kids (meaning she doesn't have to watch them or entertain them and probably not cook for them while she is there). All the while Jill has a totally useless husband who doesn't help her in any way, she's home mostly alone with those boys, she's doing the home schooling, and all manner of housekeeping, and keeping up her blog (bless her). So call it "damn sexist" because you choose to interpret my observation that the one sister who actually appears to do much more with her time is shit on constantly while the other is praised for how much of a more natural mother she is. There is a clear double standard and hypocrisy going on.

Well, I don’t particularly dunk on Jill....sooooo.... . The whole implication a woman  is spoiled because “her husband helps” was a distasteful stereotype 35 years ago. It still is. 

Motherhood isn’t a martyrdom competition to see who is the hardest working, most put upon, gets the least support etc.  

22 hours ago, shock928 said:

TRIGGER:Miscarriage warning. Oookay skip this first part if you're uninterested in a long-ish personal story with pregnancy/labor/miscarriage. I've avoided this forum for a few months, because I had a miscarriage in October, and because there's so many pregnancies and labors/deliveries around here. I'm not sure how far along Lauren was. I was 10 weeks. Baby had passed away for 3 weeks before we discovered it on ultrasound, with no signs or warnings anything was wrong. I had to do D/C surgery. Then I spent the next 2 months with lingering pregnancy symptoms without a viable pregnancy. I hadn't announced anything yet. I almost wish I had though.

My husband and I then announced the already passed away baby, to my MIL, FIL, my 3 SILs. I have a small family, only one brother who doesn't really talk to me and wouldn't understand anyway. My mom and dad - my dad whom I don't get along with - and I have one friend who lives many states away and those are all my people I have. SIL 1 I talked to once every week - she had a miscarriage before so I really thought talking to her would help. But instead, she told me when she was really sad she let herself have a few days, then told herself to get over it. And got over it. So I just felt worse after that, like she didn't understand how I felt either. And that she felt I should just get over it too. She stopped calling, hasn't called me since October. SIL 2 has 3 healthy children with no complications, and had her last healthy pregnancy and labor at age 42. SIL 3 has no children or desire.

After telling everyone, well, no one ever reached out again. No one has called to see how I am, texted, nothing. When we went to visit my FIL and MIL a month later - they never talked about it, and then changed the subject anytime I brought it up. I just began feeling nobody cared. I still feel that way. I still feel devastated and even more isolated than before. The happy part: I became pregnant again in December. The not so happy part is that I'm a wreck. I've had life threatening placenta accreta with two pregnancies before. I'm afraid I'm going to die. This baby has a blood clot right beside it. I've been put on high risk, the baby might not make it to full term, they may have to take the baby at 34 weeks if not before. But when that happens, even if the baby isn't able to survive yet, I will more than likely need a life saving hysterectomy so I don't bleed to death. I've almost bled to death twice before. But even after telling the family this news - they don't call, nobody asks how I am. NOBODY CARES. 

*****DUGGAR PART BEGINS. 

What first interested me in the Duggars is the support system. I thought - wow - wouldn't it be nice to have that many people who cared about me? To have close sisters and brothers? To have a close sibling to talk to and maybe a close sister who understood me. Now obviously without thinking about the big negatives, Michelle and Boob don't have enough time and energy for everyone. They've taken it to the extreme basically. But I used to think, because I'm so lonely and isolated in my life, it would be nice to have a big family who cared. And if one didn't care then maybe one of the other many would care. I guess that translated to my wanting 4 or 5 kids. I have 3. But I am totally isolated when husband is at work. I have no help, no babysitters, don't have a lot of money, no daycare. And they are so close together all 3 were in diapers at one point. At least once a day I feel like I'm having a nervous breakdown. And I'm a patient person. I hit my limits often. I can imagine that if I kept going like Michelle did - she would find a coping strategy of disassociating or hit a breaking point. The only thing that keeps me going in my lonely, long days of crap wiping, food making, and constant cleaning is that one day it will all get better and they can do more on their own. Michelle and Boob just waited until the older ones could watch the younger ones and then stopped parenting as much.

As for the miscarriage - I can see how it might seem that it is being exploited. But obviously they were excited and thought nothing would go wrong, as most of us do who have situations like that. I think Lauren could have expressed wanting it to be cut out of the footage, but I suspect not because miscarriages are extremely isolating. It was for me, and still is. So maybe she wants the support. And you have to remember - some people, myself included, already saw their baby as a formed being. (I think mine was farther along but still) So to discount or not mention a baby who went to heaven I think would feel more upsetting to them. Even though nobody else counts my fourth pregnancy as my fourth baby, or cares or thinks about it, I DO. So maybe Lauren wanted the support, and the recognition of her baby. Or maybe she had no say and it was all production. 

I seem to remember that Michelle and Boob said that their first miscarriage after taking birth control pills was a punishment from God? This deeply disturbs me. Is Lauren's miscarriage a punishment? Was mine? When labor goes wrong and a baby is stillborn, is that a punishment? When I nearly bled to death twice in labor is that a punishment? If something goes horribly terribly wrong, and if a baby is still living but not viable outside the womb, but ongoing the pregnancy will kill the mother is that punishment? Should the mother and baby both die instead? WHAT OF THAT DUGGARS? And if I have a life saving hysterectomy instead of possibly bleeding to death is that a punishment since bearing children is being taken away? And why do some people have many miscarriages, do they deserve it? Do I deserve nearly dying in childbirth? What about my special needs son? What of that? Since the Duggars have had 19 pregnancies and childbirths and nearly all healthy children, and Michelle has come out unscathed do they have the right to look down on us who get crapped on with horrible childbearing luck?

Is it really GOD punishing us Boobs or is it you looking down because you're so scared that bad things happen to good people and there's no rhyme or reason. What about your daughters with complicated labors? What have they sinned so badly that they needed to be punished? And Lauren's miscarriage? I'm sure she faithfully obeyed and STILL GOT THE CRAP END OF THE STICK. Some of us eat healthy, take our vitamins and do everything we possibly can and still have a miscarriage or almost die in childbirth, sometimes babies die in childbirth. Sometimes babies get SIDS and die. And it's so cruel and unfair. The only thing that's gotten me through anything is believing that a Father in heaven wouldn't want anyone to suffer, he wouldn't want anyone to die. It's the world that is imperfect. And the world is unfair. This isn't heaven. If you do good you don't get rewards or if you do bad you don't get punishments here on earth, sorry. Michelle and Boob are delusional if they think they are being REWARDED, although they've been extremely lucky to have so many LIVING children, and that Michelle and the daughters have survived all those births. 

Because if I believed God punishes me, well then I've been punished more than I can bear and I would be angry with him every single day and feel even more alone than I already do.

I'm sorry for this super long rant.  And I also want to thank FJ for being here, because it helps me feel less alone and I hope I didn't come off like a crazy person. I'm just so frustrated. 

I’m so sorry you’re not getting the support and help you need, emotionally and practically Being home with multiple small children is phenomenally exhausting and overwhelming.

as far as the Duggar’s and birth control, I don’t think they said the miscarriage was a punishment for using birth control, they thought it was caused by the hormones in the birth control. Just like many other  medications might increase miscarriage risk. I don’t know if they still say this, but IIRC, it used to be one of the many, many warnings on the package. I got the impression they felt bad, because people tend to blame themselves/their actions, even if there is no certain reason, but not that it was a punishment. If that makes sense? 

46 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

I’m so sorry you’re not getting the support and help you need, emotionally and practically Being home with multiple small children is phenomenally exhausting and overwhelming.

as far as the Duggar’s and birth control, I don’t think they said the miscarriage was a punishment for using birth control, they thought it was caused by the hormones in the birth control. Just like many other  medications might increase miscarriage risk. I don’t know if they still say this, but IIRC, it used to be one of the many, many warnings on the package. I got the impression they felt bad, because people tend to blame themselves/their actions, even if there is no certain reason, but not that it was a punishment. If that makes sense? 

Thanks for mentioning this. I'm definitely not one who would want to spread misinformation. There was one point I was sleuthing around reading interviews etc. about the Duggars and they didn't outright say God punished them but they seemed to be alluding to God punishing. I will definitely have to look into the sources again and see if I can find it as it relates.

To everyone who feels alone and is going through a rough time, I know we are practically strangers on the internet but if anyone ever needs to DM please feel free to. (Sorry I don't know if it's allowed to say that? I'm sorry if it's not) It's really hard I think in this day and age of social media to really connect, ironically with in real life people. I mean I thought I had people who would be there for me but it turns out I didn't. And with the political climate families and friends are even more divided and distant. It's sort of like "Why reach out? I saw her facebook status or whatever." At least that's how it seems. Love to everyone going through a tough time. 

4 hours ago, wandering woman said:

They get paid a fair amount to be on TV. TLC has a lot of money and gives generous salaries to cast members.

Don't we all wish?  TLC is not a wealthy network and is known to be quite cheap in many ways.  The salary most frequently quoted for the Gosselins was 3X what they were actually paid.

6 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Don't we all wish?  TLC is not a wealthy network and is known to be quite cheap in many ways.  The salary most frequently quoted for the Gosselins was 3X what they were actually paid.

What were they paid and how do you know?

They were paid almost nothing the first season and around $24.5K per episode the last season.  It was in their divorce papers for the last season, plus Kate's sister-in-law posted about it in an online group.  

The revelation that Jessa and Lauren shared a due date has me wondering if the big announcement next week will come from both of them. Perhaps Ben was shopping with the kids because him and Jessa had planned to announce at family dinner, but then Lauren and Josiah showed up with news of their own. Either way, I feel badly for Lauren, but also appreciate Jessa's supportive instagram post.

16 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

@Sky with diamonds You are in all our hearts. (and Dad) ❤️

We may not be support or therapy per se. But if someone mentions something enough, it registers, and then you get included in my thoughts. I think it works that way for a lot of us.

FJ has been so very kind. Sometimes I update my status here and the kindness shown means so much.:hug4:

Jessa’s Instagram post was very sweet and supportive.  For all the things we snark on about her, I think she’s a genuinely caring person. 

20 hours ago, Sky with diamonds said:

I wish you the very best. ? 

I don't really have anyone to talk about things with. Support groups have been suggested, but I find it very hard to open up in front of people I don't know. I thought I was close despite some distance with one of my Aunt's, but I haven't heard a peep from her in months. My friend that I thought I had, has drifted away pretty much. 

I just realise I'm more alone than I thought I was before. Thing is, I'm close to my dad, but I can't talk to him about any of this.  It's very hard. Truly the hardest time of my life. 

I don't mean to sound like a pity party, apologies if it comes across that way.

I completly understand you. My dad had two strokes (back-to-back within the span of two weeks) in June 2017. It has left him with very severe dysphasia and apraxia. He has lost a lot of independance. It is still a big burden for me to take care of him (yes a burden, I am not gonna pretend it is a joy). I do it because I love him and I am pretty much the only person he has in life. But it has been so difficult. I can't tell you the number of times I cried in my therapist's office talking about my dad's situation. Heck... I still do. You didn't come off as ''pity party'' to me. I too feel like this is the hardest challenge life as thrown at me so far. I realize how priviledged I was. I had a loving family growing up, we didn't have financial struggles. None of my family members had serious health-problems. So taking care of him by myself is not something I was prepared for, though who really is?

I was lucky enough to have my mother with me and her husband through all of this. My parents divorced when I was still young and my mom remarried a few years later. My step-dad is a great guy and I am so grateful for both of them. Since it happened, my mother has helped me do a few stuff for her ex-husband. I know she was not thrilled, but she does it because she loves me. My step-dad helps too at times and he truly has no link with my dad whatsoever, except me. I have an amazing boyfriend who always comes visit my dad with me. I told him once that the ride home on my own made me prone to have very depressing thoughts (and a lot of crying in front of strangers in the subway). So he has accepted to come with me every time he can. I also have wonderful half-siblings (a term I hate BTW, they are my siblings, no half). We don't share the same father, so there is not much they can do legally to help me. Legally, I am my dad's sole authorized representative. They still support me emotionnally. AND DEPSITE all those amazing people... I still feel alone. I talked about it with my therapist because clearly I shouldn't feel alone with such a nice support system. And she said it was normal. All these people are there for me in the best way they can. But in the end considering I am his only child, legally I am the only one who can act, sign the papers, make medical decisions, etc. She told me it is normal for me to feel alone because it is a lot of weight to carry. It is very hard to not fall into despair. I have a tendency to fall into a dark spiral of thoughts sometimes. This can lead to a bit of avoidance on my part. My therapist reassured me and said it was not always a bad thing in itself. Especially if it can help me get through a rough day. For everyone on here who are suffering from a lost, those who have a loved one with health problems or are having a hard time themselves health-wise, well it is normal to feel down sometimes. We all do.

And I certainly understand what you meant about seeing the true nature of the people are you. In the previous paragraph, I described my wonderful family. All on my mom's side. But my father's siblings, people of his own blood, have completly let me down. I am not gonna go into the details because it is actually still hurtful to even think about it. But my uncle told me some stuff, awful stuff that I won't ever forget. I maintain cordial relationship with him because we are still invited around Christmas-time and my father likes his brother well enough. But the day my father will pass, I will gladly cut all ties with them. I know now who are MY people.

I have been to one support group so far and it did not make me feel better. I cried non-stop telling my story even a year and half after. The people were very nice. I simply realized I wasn't ready yet. Maybe I'll return. I kept contact so that I might go back one day but not for now.

Like @shock928 said, the internet can be a awful place but a wonderful place as well. At least, I feel it has created a sense of community in certain cases. For me it the case here on FJ. Just seeing how everyone on here was supportive of the posters who shared their own story of miscarriage and loss. It was full of empathy and kindness. Just the fact that people are willing to share with us strangers and willing to be vulnerable about such difficult subjects.... I find it amazing. I am sorry for those who have suffered the lost of a baby in any form. It is a pain that I can't even understand. On my side of my computer, I can only send you virtual hugs and listen to your stories with an open heart. ?

It's a real kick in the gut when you think you have a support network and then something happens and you realize you don't (or not as many people as you thought). My husband was out of work for almost a year a few years ago, and then 3 months after starting a job, he wound up in the hospital for 10 days after complications from an appendectomy. The amount of people who messaged me to help and then went completely silent when I followed up on those offers was really disheartening. It was a big part of my decision to stop attending church (that church for good and a break from any church attendance for at least a year), because so few people from our church actually were there for us (after professing willingness to do something for us). Only two people brought us meals, and just a couple donated to our fundraiser to cover his hospital bills. I was so sick of the fakey concern and lots of noise about "praying for you," but then literally no action. The only thing I can really appreciate about that whole situation is that it really showed who our  true friends are, and I absolutely treasure those people for their love and care for us in such a dark time. 

59 minutes ago, MarbleRainbow said:

It's a real kick in the gut when you think you have a support network and then something happens and you realize you don't (or not as many people as you thought). My husband was out of work for almost a year a few years ago, and then 3 months after starting a job, he wound up in the hospital for 10 days after complications from an appendectomy. The amount of people who messaged me to help and then went completely silent when I followed up on those offers was really disheartening. It was a big part of my decision to stop attending church (that church for good and a break from any church attendance for at least a year), because so few people from our church actually were there for us (after professing willingness to do something for us). Only two people brought us meals, and just a couple donated to our fundraiser to cover his hospital bills. I was so sick of the fakey concern and lots of noise about "praying for you," but then literally no action. The only thing I can really appreciate about that whole situation is that it really showed who our  true friends are, and I absolutely treasure those people for their love and care for us in such a dark time. 

I’m sorry you had to go through that. It seems like a lot of us on this board have been through similar situations. I have moved quite a few times in a few years. We are now about 4 hours driving distance from my parents, the rest of our family members on both sides live in other countries. I actually grew up with 2 siblings but we each live in different states now and aren’t that close.

When my mother had a major crisis, I saw how her friends (all that she had made from church) really stepped up. We had dozens of meals and people coming over to help take care of her. One of her friends brought up that she worries with me/my siblings/ her kids that we don’t have support networks like this. And it’s true- I have 1 or 2 friends I could truly count on to drop everything and come save me in a dire situation but even then they live several hours away. It’s one of the reasons my husband and I have held off on buying a house- we don’t feel secured to any location because there’s no real reason besides our jobs, which change locations if we want. 

I had actually considered going back to a church for a while because I felt so alone in our latest city- I thought maybe I could find friends like my mom’s. But my heart is just not in a church, I don’t believe it and I don’t practice it. Don’t mean to sound depressed because I’m not, but it was a lot of major life realizations in the last 5 years!

I'm Austrian and I feel I have to come to the defence of TLC about the visit to the cafe' . Coffe houses in Vienna are not only for coffee. They are places where you meet with friends, where you come to read the papers, use their free wifi, have a snack... While they do have a huge variety of different coffees, they also have tea, beer, nonalcoholic drinks and a pretty good food selection. Usually even some gluten free cake, which Lauren could have eaten. I don't like coffee either, but I go to the coffee house all the time.

It seemed a bit silly for them to be surprised about having to order a specific kind of coffee, though. They must have been to a starbucks, right? Its the same kind of system: tell them which sort of coffee, hot or cold milk or cream, sugar or not . The choices are listed on a menu which is available in english in all the more touristy places. 

I figured this was forced by production who thought yet again it would be fun to show a Duggar as a dolt.  I doubt they would have done this to say Jinger or Jana who are known coffee drinkers.

53 minutes ago, clueliss said:

I figured this was forced by production who thought yet again it would be fun to show a Duggar as a dolt.  I doubt they would have done this to say Jinger or Jana who are known coffee drinkers.

Well, to be honest, anyone who is not unintelligent, yet is willing to assume the part of a dolt, in their own “reality” show, probably does lack sufficient intelligence to have other options for a decent income. 

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

They really did try to make them look stupid. The words they tried to teach them at the farm in Salzburg were Austrian dialect and almost everybody who is not regional will have trouble pronouncing them. They could have called the chicken "Huhn", which would be easy enough - but no, it had to be "Misthaufenläufer"(muckheap-runner) and "Krauthäupel" for cabbage instead of "Kohl" or "Kraut". Both Josiah and Lauren did fine with "hello, goodbye, please, thank you, yes, no" in German - which is about as much as most tourists know.

Do I think the Duggar reality tv train wreck is the right place for finally bringing the topic of miscarriages into the public mind more? Definitely not. But honestly- I think it’s absolutely wrong to make it a taboo and put a content warning on it. Yes, it hurts (and it hurts me as it reminds me a lot about my own) people but you know what- many things hurt people. Showing pregnancy and babies hurts people suffering from infertility or grieving their children, showing happy couples finding love and weddings hurts people that are alone and long for it, showing happy families hurts people that come from abusive families or have lost a parent or sibling. (It hurts me so much when people talk about loving their fathers and what they do together. Mine died almost ten years ago and it still makes me a sobbing mess sometimes. Especially now that I have a daughter who will never meet him.)

Everyone gets hurt by something but as long as the topic is discussed respectfully and you always have the option not to participate it should be fine.

As for Lauren- obviously TLC wasn’t around when it happened so they made a deliberate choice to put it out. I actually don’t see her as someone to be pressured into this. She and Josiaha strike me as in if those “he is the head and she is the neck” type of couples. She seems very serious and aware about what fights she is fighting and when to just go along. I will say I was truly surprised by her pregnancy because of what I thought/think of them. But come to think of it- maybe not.

Its amazing how common it is for people to disappear when someone is sick or needs help. After my mom had her second stroke it was amazing how many people we never heard of or saw. My poor dad stuck having to do everything to take care of her and me. I helped out mostly at nights making sure she took her pills, keeping her company and stuff. After the first there were calls and "call if you need any help" but after making the offer stopped hearing from as often until it dropped to nothing especially as she had more strokes and seizures during the last two years of her life. The thing that still kills me is yes we did need help. Each one of those people knew exactly what our situation was Dad doing all the cooking, cleaning, laundry, making sure Mom took her pills which was hard because she constantly forgot and argued with you, her personal care, while constantly watching her for signs of another stroke or seizure coming because she was still having them, taking her to and from the doctors. He had to take me. Days when the pain was so bad I couldn't move, when ever my legs randomly decided to stop working, or were shaking, or hands and head and all the other never ending crap. He had to take me to the doctor because I can't drive not with all these medical problems.  Yes, we did need help. My dad would have been so grateful if someone would come in and clean or take over for him for a few hours so he could try and relax. Or sleep. Or just take a something off his load. Or come sit and talk with Mom for awhile. Watch TV with her. She had all tons friends and cousins and other relatives. Only a few ever visited. Or stay with her when Dad took me to the doctor so we didn't have to worry about her being alone in the house. Or when my stuff was flaring up.  Sometimes they lasted for a week or longer. Well, then he had to do it all by himself (I still feel really guilty and angry I couldn't do anymore I'm younger. In my thirties and I should be able to do so much more but my body would not let me.) and the few times my mom would swear everything was fine and she didn't need any help when it was night and I was in so much pain but of course they weren't. She'd forget to take her pills or mark down when shook them or had problem. Family and friends knew all of that made the offer and then disappeared. It would have been so great if we actually had help. It probably would have helped out Mom so much all she ever saw and talked to every day was Dad and me it would have been nice to talk to someone else to have one of her many friends and cousins drop by for a few hours and visit. Everyone who has already said it is correct. You find who you really can count on in those situations. 

I know its a little late but I love all the comments about War Room makes them think of Cinema Snob. I love his reviews! They are awesome. His review of War Room was one of the bests. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived