IGNORED

Counting On Season 8/9/10 2: How low will they go? (CW: Miscarriage)

Coconut Flan

A little late to the cake discussion, but it's cake, so....

My sister and brother in law had the cake + groom's cake thing. The main cake was white with some textural finish and IIRC was banana flavor and some other kind. The groom's cake looked like a snare drum (BIL is in a garage band and that is how they met - one of his bandmates was the son of one of my sister's classmates) and I'm guessing was chocolate.

I think my cake was the best though - four layer, white iced with black fondant animal silhouette cutouts (we got married at a zoo), and the topper was a custom one with figures of our favorite/spirit/patronus animals and little bitty cameras that look like ours down to the lenses and camera straps - we met taking photos at the zoo. We had four flavors because we couldn't decide - Coconut with raspberry filling, chocolate mint with ganache (tasted just like Thin Mints), black raspberry chocolate chip with opera cream filling, and tangerine with strawberry cream filling. We had I think about 40 servings of cake more than people that attended in addition to three huge cookie tables (tradition of my hometown). There was some cake leftover for a family get-together the next day and we made sure to swipe one piece of every flavor to eat on our honeymoon, but there was nothing else left after that. It was SO good. Sadly the baker closed her business about a year ago due to health issues or we'd be going back to her for birthday cakes. 

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Carm_88
With people like you in mind I would want another dessert option. The former Mr. Alice loved lemon bars and fruit crumbles much more than cake.

Had another Mr. That was cheesecake oriented.

Everyone needs a little something something.

What would you want? You are one of my favorite FJ people and in my hypothetical FJ wedding reception I would like to include you!

17 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

The groom cake storyline is so daft.

“Daft” sums it up nicely. Not as daft as assembling and decorating a practice stage in the living room, though.

49 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

“Daft” sums it up nicely. Not as daft as assembling and decorating a practice stage in the living room, though.

now that was epic...daft is the episode where JB drives all over in the snow with the crew. 

now that is daft. 

On 3/9/2019 at 8:25 PM, NakedKnees said:

Can a wedding creme brulee be a thing? No?

My husband would remarry me just for that! 

21 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

When should this season end, with Jabbie's wedding? In what a couple of weeks? Me think we could have an announce by that time 

I wouldn't be surprised if the wedding is next season. 

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

Snip

I wouldn't be surprised if the wedding is next season. 

Oh please no! I could see it but please please let it be at the end of this season

My husband's grooms cake was an Irish tricolor flag with a green cladagh on the white part. His extended family is from Belfast. Our wedding cake was 3 tiers of a rustic birch tree with our initials carved into it. The cake topper was a bride and groom owl. His cake topper was a bride dragging a groom. One of the few things he requeted so he got it on his grooms cake. 

Excuse me for my cultural ignorance but groom's cake? Isn't the wedding cake for everybody? I don't understand but IGNORE ME cause I love cake and when I get married in the future that seems like a cool idea, lol.

I don’t even remember what flavor the cakes at my wedding were! Pretty sure the groom’s cake was chocolate, though. Never got a bite of it.

Actually, i’d have to go back & look at pictures to even remember what they looked like. I guess that brain cell is long gone, lol.

We did have churros dipped in chocolate mousse at my wedding, in addition to the cake. 

I really like ice cream, but I feel like I can already have really good ice cream whenever I want, so it felt more special to me to have things I don't get to eat as often. 

Episode 5 – The Abbie Gown

OMG I’m bored just reading the title and I haven’t even clicked on the show.  I cannot deal with daylight savings AND Mizzzzzzzzzzzz Renee at the same time!

JINJER’S HOUSE

They’re packing for a trip to visit his family.  Only his parents and siblings have met the baby so this is a trip to meet great grandparents and cousins.  She’s almost 4 months and is getting a personality.  Jeremy dotes on her and kisses her.  Jinger says Jeremy is a “natural.”  They discuss what they need for the baby and Jinger doesn’t have the things, so she needs to go to the store (Um, why not ask grandma to get it so they don’t have to pack and lug it???)

Jeremy is having a “daddy – daughter date” while Jinger goes to the store.  Jinger says she only has a window of time because she’s breastfeeding.  It’s hard because you never know when she’s going to eat.  Jeremy says Jinger has pumped before, but she’s only going for an hour and a half so there’s no point.

Jeremy TH – I hope she returns before she gets too fussy.  Taking care of a newborn is hard because its life.  She needs us 24/7. It’s a lot of responsibility.  It’s a privilege.

He puts her in a doorway bouncer so he can pack.

2121470608_Doorwaybouncer.thumb.jpg.d37ccabe727860f998e1d9a1ed16bc0c.jpg

Jeremy says that it’s a new toy, giving her freedom.  He lays out the clothes on the bed and says that they’ve learned the hard way that she can “soil her garments” at any time (Did Jeremy always have such strange word choice or is this new?)

679052794_clothesonbed.thumb.jpg.40220436a7b59f73e7e6017900db77a6.jpg

She’s tiny but requires a lot of stuff. 

Producer asks the J’moms what they need to bring

Kendra – names stuff

Joe – I bring Kendra because she’ll have the right stuff.

Jessa – Make sure you have an extra t shirt for both of you.

Bin – make sure they’re accessible in a carryon if you’re flying

Jessa – I was barfed on and all my clothes were under the plane.  We speak from experience.

WAIT UP ONE SEC!!!! JinJER has a CAT! 

cat.thumb.jpg.de838a4cd19e41cdff240f3823386216.jpg

Could this possibly be the first animal to survive the duggars???

Jeremy – We love Jake.   He adopted us. We were out for a stroll and little starving kitty Jake followed us home. 

Jeremy helps felicity pet Jake

felicityjake.thumb.jpg.a4449db455c1640db499169641e06d6e.jpg

The cat food they’re feeding him looks like serious garbage.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e-b-texas-pets-yummy-breakfast-mix-dry-cat-food/1910782

I can’t find a good rating for cat food, but their dog food has the lowest possible rating and the ingredients are similar

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/h-e-b-texas-pets-dog-food/

He was very clearly a stray and we’ve made him our own.  (I’m kind of hoping that someone sees this and reclaims their cat).

Felicity starts to fuss.  Jeremy says they’re both ready for her to come home.  Hes dressed in a collared shirt, sweater, slacks, and leather shoes.  This seems to be an odd outfit for chilling in your house, packing, and watching a 4 month old.

outfit.thumb.jpg.f9ac7eff76712759bfaad25df2ba415a.jpg

Bin TH – It can be stressful when the baby is starting to get fussy.

(I’m not liking the bearded Bin)

beard.thumb.jpg.ef5505be2326460bd270235b8b40a6cd.jpg

Jeremy bounces felicity

Joe TH – The first time I was alone, he was OK but after 10-15 minutes he got fussy so I was calling Kendra to make sure she was on the way home

Jeremy TH – I can do all the other things, I can change the diaper, I can rock her, I can sing to her, I just can’t feed her.

Jinger returns carrying a box of diapers.  She thinks the shopping and packing was successful.  Jeremy thinks she’ll do well and Jinger adds “hopefully no blowouts.”

TTH – Guest house.

They’re setting the house up as a “wedding dress shop.”  Jana is in charge, and they’re doing a “pop up” dress shop at the warehouse/guest house.

THIS is the “guest house”

1479306934_guesthouse.thumb.jpg.224e0739b861884fd123869a2336a62d.jpg

They can rearrange the furniture and they need a frame for a 5x7 mirror and a pedestal. 

We’re reminded that Mzzzzzzzzzzzzz Renee has made dresses for three of them and that they’re traveled to see her in the past.  Because it’s so close to the wedding they don’t have time to fly to Kentucky.

Flashback to Kendra’s dress shopping and squealing.

Flashbacks to Lauren’s dress shopping and “special memories” with her dad

Flashbacks to Jessa dress shopping in 2014.  She found it fun and “local.”

Since Abbie isn’t going to the shop they wanted to still make it look elegant and classy on a budget.

Jessa unpacks mannequins, they bring in a mirror.  It’s HUGE. What on earth are they going to do with that after this?

mirror.thumb.jpg.fb1fb2165838705d096fba840f2b1ffd.jpg

BREAK

Guest House

They set up mannequins.  We’re reminded they’re setting up a pop up dress shop.  Renee is coming today and Abbie is coming tomorrow.

The J’kids discuss how to screw the mirror into the “frame.”  They disagree.  Bin throws out the “I used to work for a glass company.”  Jessa ignores what they’re saying.

The menfolk (and Jana) cut wood.  Jessa doesn’t understand how boards can be round.  Jana says “I got this.” 

Jessa TH – Jana has a wide skill set

Voila!  A round stand made of wood!

round.thumb.jpg.fd257cf143f8593832a0aa8a36c274e0.jpg

Jessa tells us they needed to get it done before Renee shows up but things are taking longer.  They always feel like they can knock it out pretty fast.

Kendra sweeps the sofa.

sweep.thumb.jpg.d7f4c86a5655b1dd899482d5618b40ef.jpg

Renee walks in.  Jessa explains what they’re doing.  Jana explains she built it with a chainsaw. Renee has done dresses for prior duggletts

dresses.thumb.jpg.4c13c31069b4a26a5fee0c37976d6c27.jpg

Jessa – She seemed to like the dress shop.

They think the mirror turned out well.  They’re satisfied with the work and that they did it.

mirrordone.thumb.jpg.7136c5cf2b785fc78fe6b144e4139d5e.jpg

They build the stand and place the mannequins.  Jessa and Jana joke that they haven’t told anyone about Jana’s wedding. Jana responds “I’m not telling anyone.”

The next day Abbie walks in and is greeted by a squeaky Renee.  Maggie, Corina (sisters) and mom are there.  Michelle, Joy, Kendra, and 4 littles are there.

Abbie – I was really impressed, all the dresses are set up and there was a big mirror.  It reminded me of a real shop and the Duggar girls are wedding experts.

Renee describes the dresses she brought.  Abbie wanted lace and sparkle

dressesonmanequins.thumb.jpg.20c2b5568925779d4847a26a6722bc9a.jpg

The wedding is in 25 days.  Abbie is stressed but hasn’t thought about the dress, she told Renee but she’s a little nervous.  She wanted sparkle, pouf.

JD – I want to see abbie in the dress.

BREAK

ON A PLANE

The girls are dress shopping so JD got the guys together and they’re going to have a guys/bachelor party by “flour bombing.” – they drop flour out of a plane to hit a target.  Each contestant will have 3 bags.  You add up drops and the person with the lowest number (feet from target) wins.

Boob reminds us that “it’s not whether you win or lose, its how you play the game.”

menfolk.thumb.jpg.8214bcbd8b8d63b3479bb087e35754df.jpg

The losers have to take the group out to eat.

They takeoff, we’re reminded AGAIN that Joe has a pilots license.

They get the plane 500 feet away from a person or building, per FAA.  It starts to rain and he can’t see well. They hit turbulence.  We’re reminded that the Duggars have motion sickness.  Flashbacks to puking in 2006.

He usually keeps sick sacks because he flies duggars.

They approach the target and drop the first sack

720307446_firstdrop.thumb.jpg.a1bab9f404fe9d47e572e9afe03fd150.jpg

HOLY SHIT THIS IS SUCH A BAD IDEA, EVEN BY DUGGAR STANDARDS THIS IS STUPID!

Jed gets close.  They come around again and again.  Jed says he can’t see anything because he was trying not to puke.  They land and measure. 

35 feet

71 feet

91 feet – total of 197.

Tyler picks up the bags.

GUEST HOUSE

We’re reminded WTF they’re doing.

She comes out in dress 1 “lovely lace”

688370533_dress1.thumb.jpg.384d857a573b107780109b92a84c7ab9.jpg

She likes the train.

They all giggle that the dress is in 25 days.  She has a lot of feelings, happy feelings, but she’s sentimental so it’s also bittersweet.  She’s close to her family so it’s weird moving to Arkansas.

Jinger TH – I moved to Laredo and it was difficult living far from family but we went deep quick because he was the only one there.  I got emotional sometimes.

Bin th – Before I moved we were 3 ½ hours apart.  It was challenging moving away but I was so in love with Jessa it was an adventure.

Jinger – before you leave spend the time you can.

They add a belt with the dress but it’s not sparkly enough.  Abbie says it’s too much lace.

They go to the pink one.  JD really wants white.  She’s fine wearing white but sometimes you go with things you weren’t thinking.

Josie things its “weird.”

Abbie likes the style but not so much the color.

453936175_dress2.thumb.jpg.961108a424de453bb85e0d2bb1754892.jpg

No one likes the color. BUT it has pockets.

Jessa had a pink dress so she likes it.  Flashback to Jessa’s dress.

BREAK

Renee tells us that she’s “Giddy” in this one.

They all say “yes” when she walks out.

Jana – you could tell when she came out it was more what she was looking for.

They say it needs sparkle and she’s concerned.  She’s worried they don’t have time to make another one. Renee can add a sparkle layer to the dress.

They put a “glitter” layer and made the whole thing sparkle.

298807854_dress3.thumb.jpg.cf726553a4cfd5e9c262e06bbbba35b9.jpg

They all love it but no sparkle at the top.

Dress 4 – fitted dress with sparkle.

143658352_dress4.thumb.jpg.0373740e07aa66941defd9b330658196.jpg

She doesn’t like the fitted style.  She wants a higher neckline and sleeves.  It needs to go to the collar bone.  She wears pants.  She explains she wears scrubs because it’s more practical. We're briefly told that she is a nurse.

Jana and Jessa explain that they want the top of 4 and bottom of 3.

She tries on 3 again.

PLANE

We’re reminded they’re having a flour bombing competition and the losers buy lunch.

Jana TH  - all the boys are competitive.

JD – Josiah or Jeremiah are the most

The rest of the kids agree Jer.

Total of 213. 

BREAK

More plane bombing.

Joe – It’s important to have bonding time with your brother. After you get married you won’t see them as often.

Jason drops his flour.  He “bombs” it.  They don’t even measure.

They clean up to “go eat.”

Boob says “we’re all winners because we get a free lunch.”

TTH GUEST HOUSE

Abbie comes out again in dress 3 and she loves it. 

Jana – you could tell, she was beaming.

Renee asks her if she needs more sparkly.

Renee asks her if they can call the dress “the Abbie.”  They all clap.

Abbie says it means so much that they made the pop up shop.

JD can’t wait to see her in her beautiful white dress.

Cheryl (mom) I’m so excited, I’ve never cried but I might at this one.

Josie approves. Michelle calls it a “princess dress.”

Jessa – we’re going to leave that mirror in the room so we can transform it.

Producer – who is next (pans to Jana)

Jessa - You never know when we’ll make the next big announcement.

NEXT WEEK

Panama City – they build sand castles

J’kid gets a driving lesson with a cop

JinJer go to PA with the baby.  Felicity meets family.

A person that “blows [Jeremy’s] mind" shows up. (Probably jessa to announce seaweed 3)

YAWN

8 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

We did have churros dipped in chocolate mousse at my wedding, in addition to the cake.

I guess my invite got lost in the mail?! :kitty-wink:

Buzzard - Thank you !

I would pay money to see the barfed up picture - Jessa....

That happened to my friend - she tried to hold the barf - it was her 4th....

23 minutes ago, JillyO said:

I guess my invite got lost in the mail?! :kitty-wink:

good news - we have a churros in richmond....

People - I have given up carbs! -and you are tempting me!

oh well- I guess I can indulge in Tuscany.

Tuscany - you heard that - in April for easter....

I think Jeremy always used odd words to make himself appear really smart. It's just more obvious now, because we see him more. 

Right. Because having to build a dress shop in your ‘guest house’ takes less time than flying to the dress shop.  And of the hundreds of dresses in her shop, Renee knew exactly which ones to bring?

I used to think Joe was cute. But then he opened his mouth.

1 hour ago, nst said:

People - I have given up carbs! -and you are tempting me!

Congrats to you! (really... not being snarky... you have my attention)

I liked dress number one. I find/found the neckline of the one she picked to be quited dated (80s) 

2 hours ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Right. Because having to build a dress shop in your ‘guest house’ takes less time than flying to the dress shop.  And of the hundreds of dresses in her shop, Renee knew exactly which ones to bring?

Not to mention that they had to fly Abbie, her mother and her sisters to Arkansas. 

And the pilot (John David) was flying his brothers around wasting bags of flour. But he didn’t have time to bring his bride to the dress shop. 

Jeremy shares with us some amazing things about having a newborn that he has discovered since bringing Felicity home:

"She literally needs our help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If we don't put her on the right surface.... she'll fall! If we don't feed her..... she'll starve!" 

:whaa-serious:

He says this with his eyebrows raised and an expression on his face that says "WHO KNEW?". He says it slowly so the audience will not miss this important information.

How many sermons do you think he already has written that are all about how he has a baby that poops and depends on him for everything and keeps him from sleeping.

3 minutes ago, CaricatureQualities said:

How many sermons do you think he already has written that are all about how he has a baby that poops and depends on him for everything and keeps him from sleeping.

Jeremy is so self centered and all about Jeremy, every sermon will be centered around the trials and tribulations of Jeremy. 

20 minutes ago, Bethella said:

Not to mention that they had to fly Abbie, her mother and her sisters to Arkansas. 

and all that flying and flour dropping 

11 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Jeremy is so self centered and all about Jeremy, every sermon will be centered around the trials and tribulations of Jeremy. 

Man that was so evident in this episode.  The JinJer portion was JeremyJeremyJeremy. From the way he dresses to his artificial commentary/patter, I am so turned off by this guy. 

Jinger seems to have receded into the background.  Even when she was present, she was just so flat.  Jeremy seems to be taking up more and more figurative space and Jinger less.  I feel like this basic dynamic has been there from the beginning, but it really struck me this time. 

(As a new mom, maybe Jinger’s just exhausted and that’s some of what I was seeing.   I definitely wasn’t back to my usual self at four months post-partum and very glad I wasn’t filmed! )

Jeremy seems to be one of those guys that thinks he’s really funny, but in reality he’s not funny at all. Acting like you don’t know that a baby would fall off of things just makes one wonder how he figured it out. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived