IGNORED

Counting On Season 8/9/10 2: How low will they go? (CW: Miscarriage)

Coconut Flan

I like the cupcakes. Despite the fact that it is *shudder, gasp, hiss* trendyish. It allows for many people to partake of more normal flavors than I may choose. And, you can send them home easily with people.

And, again.... More! Flavors!

I think about this as much as the dress :)

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did a cupcake tower, a huge factor was cost. I know quite a few people who would have chosen a cake, but you can get delicious cupcakes for about 1/4-1/3 of the price of a large cake from a lot of places. It also gave us more delicious flavor combos and made our gluten free guests not stand out when they ate their special cupcakes.

On 3/6/2019 at 3:15 PM, Audrey2 said:

Regarding the cake baking storyline, I would love to have seen a last minute entry to the contest... Ben and the Howlers. 

"Ben and the Howlers" would also be a solid band name for them...?

On 3/6/2019 at 4:08 PM, Mama Mia said:

he’s not playing an imbecile. She’s playing the part of someone who hasn’t bothered to learn anything about baking because she gives zero fucks about it. I have no real interest in learning how to - for example -code a website,

Baking is not coding a website. She may not be an imbecile, but come on. And not taking the plastic bag with the instructions out of the oven before turning it on, if not imbecilic, is pretty damn stupid. Unlike Jana, Jessa strikes me as being an airhead. I don't really like any of them.

Also if she gives zero fucks, then why she is playing at baking for the cameras, if this is presumably for the most important day of her brothers life? I don't care how "sassy" she is, thats neither honest nor honorable in my book. The fact that she's doing it for the TLC paycheck makes it worse in my book, not better.  Respectfully refusing to bake if its not your thing is perfectly fine and understandable. Being a part of a lazy, contrived plot that insults your audiences intelligence is not. 

I learned about groom's cakes here on FJ, I've never been to a wedding that had one. And every wedding I've been to did have something resembling a traditional wedding cake, in that it was white, or had flowers, etc. 

We had a blood orange/ginger wedding cake (white frosting, but pink when you cut into it), surrounded by double chocolate-raspberry cupcakes. It was nice to that we each got to pick a flavor (husband lives for chocolate and I don't like it), but nothing was decorated to reflect our interests, and I'd have felt a bit bad if his interests were featured at the wedding and mine weren't. 

I've never married, but, my sister & her hubby picked a different flavour for different layers.  They had chocolate, white, carrot and fruit, made by the Mennonites.  It was the best damn cake I ever tasted and LOL we all had some of every layer.  Looking back, it was one huge cake (late 80's excess), but, between the wedding and the day after party there wasn't a crumb left!

Cakes are really falling out of favor in my community (West Coast). I think I've been to 2 weddings that had them. Dessert bars are more common now, which is also the case where I currently live (Chile). 

If I ever get married, I'd try to make a big selection of nicely presented PIES the star of the dessert show. Neither Mr. Knees nor I get the big deal about cake, out of all the desserts in the world. I do get it that they're pretty and traditions are traditions, so no snark on those who love a good wedding cake.

Can a wedding creme brulee be a thing? No?

34 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

My oldest's wedding had creme brulee as the dessert with the meals and also had a wedding cake with two different flavors of cake and filling.  

37 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

Yes it most certainly can. Wedding cake, cookies, cupcakes, ice cream(thanks Ben and Jessa), or cheesecake, and we may think of more. I'm so glad that the whole ceremonial wedding-cake-cutting seems to be going out, and same with bouquet toss and garter toss. I think a Groom's Cake is stupid; just have desserts that work for you and for your guests. The last wedding I went to, which was over Christmas, that's what they did. Bless their hearts. And I think they had some gluten-free desserts too. Definitely they included a section for dietary needs in their RSVPs, and made sure everyone was taken care of.

One golf my friends wedding had 6 different types of cake. They were all single layers. It was great because everyone found something they liked. Everyone at my table asked for a different flavor. We then passed each flavor around the table so everyone could try it. 

On 3/6/2019 at 9:01 PM, Lurky said:

The flipside is that it's another person who will leave her, emotionally, before she's even 15.  Joe and Kendra seem like the couple most genuinely into the family beliefs, so they could very easily end up with 3 under 3, 4 under 4, 5 under 5 etc, and there'll be no time for sisters-in-law, except as unpaid helpers to hand the babies over to.  And as the most enmeshed of the young couples, if they decide to move off the compound, that's another mother substitute leaving.

Well, regardless if they are Quiverfull it might just not happen AND she will be grown up till Kendra hits those numbers. I feel like even if she is Kendras assigned auntie-mum she might have a nicer day to day life than at the TTH

12 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

Random cake-related question. I like to bake as a hobby, and my father in law's birthday is coming up. He asked for cream cheese filled chocolate cupcakes, which I do, but topped with peanut butter icing. I've never done that flavor combination. It's his 70th, pressure is on to make a good product. What do you all think of that flavor? 

I love chocolate muffins with cheesecake filling. It’s a bit of work but they are divine. Would strongly recommend to make a tryout first though because the peanut butter icing might overpower it.

The groom cake storyline is so daft. There is no need for SF/GF as JD is not any of it. And why did they make it anyway? It’s not as if the winner would have made the actual groom’s cake for the wedding. What was the point? Just to fill up the storyline? You can have a bake-off just for fun, no need to construct that backstory. 

On Groom’s cakes in general. I get it’s a tradition and probably fun but all the explanations raise some questions for me:

1. Why does only the groom get a cake represent him/his interests?

2. Many stated that the wedding cake is still traditionally white frosting. Does that mean all the brides are into white frosting and only the men have actually other interests? Seems kind of sexist to me?

3. Is it really a problem to find one flavour both like? Where I am from the wedding cake (if there’s even one special wedding cake and not just several cakes often home made by family members) is for both. 

4. I find putting so much emphasis on one theme for a person making it a bit one-dimensionally. I hope JD has more interests as just flying (and what the hell is so uber cool about flying anyway?). Apart from that, I find it a bit childish but that clearly my personal taste.

So, summarising, to me the tradition seems to have underlying issues in terms of sexism with hints that all brides want the white cake, which hint to the idea that the wedding is all about the bride and her taste. It reduces the bride to wedding stuff while the groom has to have something unique to his personality. Goes a bit with the idea that men get „trapped“ and have to „give up“ their glamorous, adventurous and oh so free bachelor life... (my problem with many hen /stag parties. Most people don’t do strippers on a regular basis before especially not in a relationship and you still can go out with friends and get wasted in a relationship or married. So what exactly is the point??). Maybe I am a bit old fashioned but I believe a wedding is about two people and their wishes and likings so there is no need to single one out. I think it’s absolutely fine to follow this tradition though. I followed many tradition that can be argued as sexist (liking takingny husbands name, had my father walking me down the aisle) and I don’t give a f**k. You do you.

Not really on the cake topic but more the thread title. Every page of this discussion has confirmed that every time I've thought TLC hit the bottom of the shame barrel it turns out there was a false bottom and a whole bunch more skeevy sh*t underneath

11 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

Well, regardless if they are Quiverfull it might just not happen AND she will be grown up till Kendra hits those numbers. I feel like even if she is Kendras assigned auntie-mum she might have a nicer day to day life than at the TTH

I love chocolate muffins with cheesecake filling. It’s a bit of work but they are divine. Would strongly recommend to make a tryout first though because the peanut butter icing might overpower it.

The groom cake storyline is so daft. There is no need for SF/GF as JD is not any of it. And why did they make it anyway? It’s not as if the winner would have made the actual groom’s cake for the wedding. What was the point? Just to fill up the storyline? You can have a bake-off just for fun, no need to construct that backstory. 

On Groom’s cakes in general. I get it’s a tradition and probably fun but all the explanations raise some questions for me:

2. Many stated that the wedding cake is still traditionally white frosting. Does that mean all the brides are into white frosting and only the men have actually other interests? Seems kind of sexist to me?

3. Is it really a problem to find one flavour both like? Where I am from the wedding cake (if there’s even one special wedding cake and not just several cakes often home made by family members) is for both. 

4. I find putting so much emphasis on one theme for a person making it a bit one-dimensionally. I hope JD has more interests as just flying (and what the hell is so uber cool about flying anyway?). Apart from that, I find it a bit childish but that clearly my personal taste.

So, summarising, to me the tradition seems to have underlying issues in terms of sexism with hints that all brides want the white cake, which hint to the idea that the wedding is all about the bride and her taste. It reduces the bride to wedding stuff while the groom has to have something unique to his personality. Goes a bit with the idea that men get „trapped“ and have to „give up“ their glamorous, adventurous and oh so free bachelor life... (my problem with many hen /stag parties. Most people don’t do strippers on a regular basis before especially not in a relationship and you still can go out with friends and get wasted in a relationship or married. So what exactly is the point??). Maybe I am a bit old fashioned but I believe a wedding is about two people and their wishes and likings so there is no need to single one out. I think it’s absolutely fine to follow this tradition though. I followed many tradition that can be argued as sexist (liking takingny husbands name, had my father walking me down the aisle) and I don’t give a f**k. You do you.

Just wanted to say I agree with the above. Why is there a groom's cake, but no bride's cake? Surely a bride's personality is not just "white, flowers, pretty, generic", whereas the groom gets to show his personality and interests in the cake. 

48 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

Just wanted to say I agree with the above. Why is there a groom's cake, but no bride's cake? Surely a bride's personality is not just "white, flowers, pretty, generic", whereas the groom gets to show his personality and interests in the cake. 

I think the underlying assumption is that the whole wedding is chosen by the bride to reflect what she wants, and the groom gets this one thing (his cake) to show his personality. But that whole idea is so problematic---I think the wedding should be equally important for both parties, and not the "bride's day." 

19 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

Yes, you can say that about flowers, bridesmaids, alcohol and decorations. For sure. 

Terribly sorry for voicing my opinion about what I would prioritise in a wedding. 

Since you don't come from a culture with grooms' cakes no one would expect you to have one, so the comment was pointless.

You didn't just voice your opinion about what you would prioritize. You can't claim innocence in light of your long history of taking every opportunity to make digs at American cultural traditions, no matter how innocuous. Anyone can go through your post history to see it. 

I don't know what you get from it, but since it seems to fill some emptiness in your life, go for it I guess. I should probably just put you and your predictable anti-American, anti-choice posts on ignore until you go full troll and everyone else figures you out. 

7 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I think the idea of the groom's cake is a mix of the wedding is for the bride, planned by the bride, paid for by the bride's  family, and the groom doesn't choose much so he gets a special cake. The only grooms cake I ever had was ice cream to go with the regular cake, which I thought was great! If a couple uses a groom's cake to display something that interests them both (especially if they feel constrained by tradition as to where they can show individuality in their wedding) I think that's much nicer than something just for the man's interest. I know my wedding was a bit backwards, but my husband made most of the final decisions with my input (except food. I love food. I needed the stuff I liked best). Even with that dynamic, I wouldn't have felt like it was fair to him if I got a special cake to show my interests and he got nothing.

I also hate how one-dimensional the pilot/plane thing is. I know it's a thing these days to do a themed wedding, but it's generally something both of the couple LOVE and not a reduction of their personalities the way this seems to be. This seems to be "I John David. I pilot. Planes go high and fast. I pilot. All planes."

I see bachelor/bachelorette parties a lot like you do and didn't have one. My husband saw it as a great way to get together with a group of friends who live all across the country and loved being able to have an excuse to have a night out with all of them. A lot of people seem to use it as an excuse for a party or a night out (or a weekend away) rather than a belief that they won't have time for that type of stuff once married. I dont know anyone who's had a stripper for a bachelor party.

Most of the weddings my husband and I have attended didn't have a traditional cake which was fine if that's what the couple wants. 

I personally used my wedding as an excuse to have all the stuff that I wouldn't normally have including a big beautiful cake as opposed to regular desserts. My husband wanted a chocolate cake which was fine with me so cake was a chocolate cake with caramel and macadamia nut frosting between the layers. The outside I picked and was white with my wedding flowers. The topper was a China figurine that had two dogs that looked like springer spaniels (like my dogs). They sort of looked like a bride and groom. So beautiful white cake that was personalized to me. 

Groom's cake isn't really a thing where I am from. But I think it is kind of a nice idea. Whatever floats your boat!

When should this season end, with Jabbie's wedding? In what a couple of weeks? Me think we could have an announce by that time 

7 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

I think the underlying assumption is that the whole wedding is chosen by the bride to reflect what she wants, and the groom gets this one thing (his cake) to show his personality. But that whole idea is so problematic---I think the wedding should be equally important for both parties, and not the "bride's day." 

Exactly. The idea that only the woman is interested and has a say in the wedding is frankly just sad. Not only for the man but it also cements the assumption that marriage is THE female goal. And we should have left that mindset years ago. 

4 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Since you don't come from a culture with grooms' cakes no one would expect you to have one, so the comment was pointless.

You didn't just voice your opinion about what you would prioritize. You can't claim innocence in light of your long history of taking every opportunity to make digs at American cultural traditions, no matter how innocuous. Anyone can go through your post history to see it. 

I don't know what you get from it, but since it seems to fill some emptiness in your life, go for it I guess. I should probably just put you and your predictable anti-American, anti-choice posts on ignore until you go full troll and everyone else figures you out. 

American cultural traditions that seem really cool, imo: 

Tailgate parties, Thanksgiving, high school graduations, trunk and treat (and trick and treat), alcohol laws, writing months first when writing dates, fall festivals, gaps between houses, Christmas caroling, apple pie, college sports, camp fires and S’Mores, gingerbread cookies, Christmas lights,  wedding vows, ring bearers and flower girls, hot dog carts. 

How’s that for predictability? 

On 3/9/2019 at 8:59 PM, AliceInFundyland said:

I need to share my favorite (current) dessert from my favorite purveyor of cakes

This is the Passion (just the round one). Passion fruit mousse with a raspberry mousse center on chocolate-buttermilk cake; wrapped in white chocolate and finished with passion fruit curd. I was skeptical about passionfruit in a dessert. But hot diggity damn. It is tartness mixed with the melllowness of white chocolate. So good. 

Hide contents

7F858513-6CC0-458D-A676-A5CD33BA4B26.jpeg.242590a3b408004b5ebc4a4b2c3fd12f.jpeg

This is just evil. I was sort of craving something sweet before I sat down but we didn’t have anything and then I go in to this thread ...

Would it be too much if I got dressed and drove to the McDonalds drive through just to get a muffin? :cupcake:

Nothing really to add about the last episode other than it was nice to see Jenni getting some one on one attention and finally appearing to enjoy herself. I know a lot of people find Kendra annoying, but she does seem to be a genuinely kind, sweet girl. I hope Jenni is able to spend more time with her.

I don't know what to think about Jessa. Willfully ignorant is my best guess.

All of the "stars" of Counting On seem so disinterested in whatever nonsense TLC makes them film, so why are they continuing with this show? Give them a couple of yearly specials and be done, the Duggar show has clearly run it's course. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived