IGNORED

Counting On Season 8/9/10 2: How low will they go? (CW: Miscarriage)

Coconut Flan

When my dad's (very southern) cousin got married, the groom's cake was a five-foot long alligator made of red velvet cake and covered in green fondant. As a child eye-level with the serving table, it was one of the most  horrifying things I had ever seen.

I'm certain that no monstrosity the Duggars dream up can compete with that.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is a groom's cake some sort of weird masculinity thing? I'm a man, so I need a man cake! 

Why not just have a separate cake for men and women? 

My nephew had a Batman and a Joker cake for his groom's cakes. Nobody ate any of it.. neither did he. My sister spent a lot of time working on them, and they weren't touched.

I'm in the Northeast but a large part of my family is in the Southern US. I've found that Grooms cakes are not really a thing here in NY. I think maybe one wedding I've been to in the past 10 years had one but almost every wedding we've been to for my southern family there was a grooms cake. Usually it represents some sort of interest of the groom. OR maybe thats just a family tradition but for some examples my cousin is a volunteer firefighter so his had a fire truck on it. I've seen ones shaped like a fish, there was a hunting themed one, one was a guitar and another handcuffs because the groom was a cop. 

Finally watched the new episode. Boy, it was every bit as boring and fake as described here. One thing that really bothered me though was how everybody, especially the younger Duggars, kept saying things like the batter looks gross or the cake tastes disgusting. WHY BOTHER THEN?? I mean, if the cake was really that aweful, why not bake a second one? Also, I think it's very bad rolemodelling for the younger kids to talk about food like that. 

The last wedding I attended, had cupcakes instead of a wedding cake. The bride had a special wonder woman cupcake and the groom's cupcake was batman, 

I have never seen a groom's cake. 

Grooms Cakes are fairly common in the midwest.   I think it's an easy way to add in an additional and  different flavor of cake besides traditional white cake, white frosting.    A grooms cake is personalized to the groom a little bit.   Lots of times it will be his favorite sports team, his college team, lots of chocolate with raspberry filling from my experience.

I think the recipe being in metric was the most unfortunate thing for Jessa.   Jessa's main problem (a Duggar trait) is that they don't plan ahead well and they don't prepare adequately.   So she doesn't bake, we get that but she had to have some notice that she'd have Johanna with her making a cake at her house the day before, that's when you review your recipe because you're going to be doing this on TV, that's when you check that you have the proper ingredients because your going to be on TV and don't want to not have the right ingredients, anyone with the slightest bit of forethought would do this the day before.   Not Jessa, as she's filming she thinks to check the expiration date.

I think it was very clear from Lauren herself that she didn't feel exploited about the miscarriage.   She said multiple times how she wanted her experience to help others to let couples know they aren't alone.   That's not someone says who's forced to be in front of the camera for exploitation.

I think this whole season is lazy TLC filming, 3 episodes on Jinger and baby while we haven't seen Garrett for but a milisecond or Gideon, same thing, just a quick little camera scan on the sofa at TTH.   But Jinger and Felicity are for 3 episodes half the show.  I do love that we're getting to finally after all these years get a glimps into the younger children.   Johanna, Jason , Jennifer even Tyler speaking a little bit.     After all the years watching.

I must be alone on this but I am not a fan of John David and Abby.  They are happy together but as a couple they are the definition of low energy and aloof and unenthusiastic, not cute.    JD's is greasy, he looks like he's in his 40's, the way he talks is lazy, he doesn't stand up straight, he just lacks energy.

Groom’s cake seems nice if you’ve got the money, but if your wedding is on a budget, it seems like extra money your really don’t need to spend. 

Interesting that they showed more Jana and she came across as an asshole, imo. Between not letting the boys participate in the cake in any meaningful way (they were expected to just carry out her idea) and then rebaking/decorating her nasty cake alone. 

I thought Jessa seemed fine. Who cares if she doesn't bake? She seemed a little ditzy not being able to read instructions but at least she seemed able to work with her partner.

Kendra has a beautiful kitchen. Jenny seemed very happy with the interaction. 

Lauren's personality is not my cup of tea. She seems smug and too good imo. 

The cake had to be sugar free because Abbie doesn't eat sugar (or gluten) due to stomach upset. Imo, if you're having a 1000 guest wedding, serve a regular cake for the guests and your sugar free gluten free concoctions only to the people who need/want it. 

I'm with John. Fake sugar is nasty and the after taste is horrible. Also, he looks like he hasn't showered in a month. He does look happy but also greasy, sweaty, and 7-8 months pregnant.

I wonder how Jana and Abbie get along?

1 hour ago, SorenaJ said:

Groom’s cake seems nice if you’ve got the money, but if your wedding is on a budget, it seems like extra money your really don’t need to spend. 

that one was a gift from a baker/decorator friend :) don't really see them too much here, but my daughter wanted it

2 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

We had a groom’s cake and it was actually cheaper to do a smaller wedding cake and a groom’s cake than go up a level with one bigger wedding cake. So I think it probably depends. 

I don't think I've ever been to a wedding with a groom's cake.  But that said, I was trying to remember the last time I even went to a wedding.  Hmm... I guess it would have been my cousin's about 5 years ago.  I think I"m going to one in June.  I'm in that donut hole between too old for my friends to be getting married much any more and too young for my friends' kids (or my own kids) to have started much yet.

18 hours ago, Lurky said:

it feels like sexism to me, like all women have a duty to be able to bake and follow recipes.  

Personally, I stated very specifically that I think they should all be able to read and follow instructions and understand basic oven use. It's a person thing, not a gender one. 

Though of course these shows are all partially scripted, some of the obvious actual incompetence shows them in a poor and not at all "godly" light. 

We had a grooms cake... it was a shaped and decorated like a fighter jet. ? We also served cupcakes to our guests because we wanted several different flavors. We had a small cake for us to cut... but we only did that since we got to cut the cake with a saber, as tradition with my husband's alma mater, of which he had just graduated from less than 48 hours prior. :)  A coworker of mine made all of the cupcakes, the cake, and the groom's cake for us. We paid her, of course, and they turned out fantastically! We even moved a whole layer of our cake (coconut, yum) with us across the country (dry ice!) to eat on our first anniversary, and it may have tasted even better then. :)

Basically, I am the anti-Jessa. I just love cake.

18 hours ago, Kelsey said:

Interesting that they showed more Jana and she came across as an asshole, imo. Between not letting the boys participate in the cake in any meaningful way (they were expected to just carry out her idea) and then rebaking/decorating her nasty cake alone. 

As someone with three kids,  I have to defend Jana a bit on this.  Kids are terrible to cook with.  They never want to follow instructions or do anything right.  I would totally redo a cake my kids "helped" on.  

I got stuck on - okay if Abbie is GF and SF then the wedding cake would be GF & SF.  So then why would the groom's cake 'have' to be GF and SF?  Since the groom is not.  Meaning - much ado about a made up Figure 8/TLC storyline.

5 minutes ago, clueliss said:

I got stuck on - okay if Abbie is GF and SF then the wedding cake would be GF & SF.  So then why would the groom's cake 'have' to be GF and SF?  Since the groom is not.  Meaning - much ado about a made up Figure 8/TLC storyline.

I was stuck on just because the bride is GF & SF why does everyone there have to suffer.  I would assume that if you are SF you aren't eating much cake anyway. I can't figure how you make a good tasting SF frosting.  

8 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I was stuck on just because the bride is GF & SF why does everyone there have to suffer.  I would assume that if you are SF you aren't eating much cake anyway. I can't figure how you make a good tasting SF frosting.  

I think you could make a decent honey-frosting. 

I would have gone with loads of honey anyway ?

Midwest and no groom's cake for me, but we just did cupcakes with a small top cake for cutting.

I'd say I see groom's cakes about half the time I go to weddings and they are always some interest of the groom (sports team, fraternity, comic book type thing, or profession). Frequently they were homemade, by the mother of the bride or groom. Occasionally I've seen more professional ones, but they were always smaller and I doubt it would add much cost since you're kind of replacing other cake with cake.

Duff Goldman's old cake show used to make a fair amount of groom's cakes IIRC.

Ladies, this maybe the season that they lose me. I've been a faithful watcher for 14 yrs although I usually skimmed the last couple of seasons. I can't bear to have them on even in the background anymore.  I no longer like Jana. I find her smug. Seeing the kids all grown up into uneducated but selfrightous in their beliefs just like JB and M is expected but so disappointing.  Even Jinger annoys me. And I haven't been a fan of Joy since she got married. JD and Abby have no interest for me either.  I will probably attempt again to watch this season because I'm stubborn but I may be done. 

2 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

I’ve tasted frosting made with Splenda. Absolutely disgusting. 

Artificial sweeteners always leave some weird aftertaste, like JD said "I'm waiting for the aftertaste" 

I worked with a woman who was diabetic and she said she baked with stevia and if the recipe called for 1 cup of sugar use I tsp (or tbsp I can't remember) of stevia and like a1/4 cup of real sugar. But she only did it with cookies, she said cakes were always gross and as a diabetic honey is pretty much the same as sugar.  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived