IGNORED

Counting On Season 8/9/10 2: How low will they go? (CW: Miscarriage)

Coconut Flan

5 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

Can I ask an honest question? No snark, no judgement. If the church teachings have no impact on your lives, then why do you go to Church on Easter and Christmas? 

Same reason there are Cultural Jews (I count myself among them) who enjoy the camaraderie and traditions of the holidays and the symbolism and meaningfulness of services, or see religious services and holidays as a way to spend time with their family and community, even if they don't literally believe that there's a shrimp-hating space wizard who made giving birth hurt because a lady took nutrition advice from a reptile. Religion is a part of culture, and that has dimensions far beyond believing a certain thing. 

Also, it's a way to connect with family members who are religious (or remain on good terms with them). And in some communities, it's the ONLY way to remain a part of the community. In some communities, being openly atheist is actually life-threatening. So you get your ass to church or mosque or shul and try to make the best of it. 

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also there is a huge space between atheist and super religious who always goes to church. See Denmark. An extremely secular country, yet the majority of people are members of the national Church, and consider themselves Christian, and the majority of babies are christened into the church. They don't live their lives religiously, or go to church, and religion has no influence in their daily lives, but they are still Christian, and will go for weddings, christenings and maybe Christmas. They are not atheists, but more like agnostics, and consider themselves Christians. 

5 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

An atheist going to church twice a year seems very odd too me because it’s fun? Tradition?  Seems very odd to me. But whatever.

So e see it as just a social event where you meet and greet like minded twice a year celebrants.    Sort of like going to a school reunion or a Old Home Day.

Sometimes it's just to appease the family.

7 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

Also there is a huge space between atheist and super religious who always goes to church. See Denmark. An extremely secular country, yet the majority of people are members of the national Church, and consider themselves Christian, and the majority of babies are christened into the church. They don't live their lives religiously, or go to church, and religion has no influence in their daily lives, but they are still Christian, and will go for weddings, christenings and maybe Christmas. They are not atheists, but more like agnostics, and consider themselves Christians. 

@Chickenbutt -I quoted @SorenaJ as it’s a perfect explanation.

I actually enjoy attending church from time to time. It’s calming because I like the music and know the liturgy. We often went with my grandparents and when I was a little child as my mother used to be the organist from time to time. But church teachings aren’t a big thing in our society. It took me till my late twenties to realise that our Protestant church are actually an union of  Unitarian, Lutheran and Reformed Churches. I didn’t know, just noticed that the liturgy seemed to slightly vary. Our churches also don’t do big websites with proclamations. To be honest, I am always baffled how much energy and research many Americans put into their church decisions. Many things I read here sound utterly outdated from my social background- the discussion about preacher wives and their impact on the congregation for example. That’s how I imagine church and society in the 1960s. Christianity in my country is much more about cultural traditions than anything else. Not for everyone of course but for the majority.

@tabitha2 I never claimed to be an atheist and from my experience most churches (Christian or other) are actually very welcoming. You might no be able to take part in everything (Catholic’s often don’t give out Communion to non-Catholics as opposed to Protestant churches where everyone is invited for example) but they are mostly just happy you are interested. I am sure you have your own experiences and I am very  sorry if you live in a surrounding where religious groups don’t treat others welcoming and nice.

I met BlackberryBoy September 27, 1973, had ONE actual date, (we went to the library) and moved in with him December 4, 1973.  That’s 68 days, folks.  He was a cop, I was a waitress, he used to come to my diner and eat on his breaks. 

We got married 13 months after I moved in. We’ve been  together 45 years. 

I met BlackberryBoy September 27, 1973, had ONE actual date, (we went to the library) and moved in with him December 4, 1973.  That’s 68 days, folks.  He was a cop, I was a waitress, he used to come to my diner and eat on his breaks. 

[emoji173] [emoji173] [emoji173] That is sweet.....I am a romantic.

11 hours ago, BlackberryGirl said:

When you know, you know, and it is hard to explain to someone who hasn't been there. 

I'm not super close to my only living grandma because she's lived in Florida my whole life (and I'm from New Jersey). She recently told me a story about how she met her second husband and true love, who died fighting a fire when my mom was a teenager. He was a bartender and my grandma had gone out dancing with her girlfriends. The first thing he said to her was, "remind me to ask you to marry you some day." My grandma replied, "remind me to say yes". And they got married shortly after that! I think it's such a sweet story and I'm so grateful she shared it with me. I'll always have that as a fond memory of her life ❤️ 

On 2/14/2019 at 3:46 AM, tabitha2 said:

I will go to the Buddhist temple down the road on their holidays if it’s all good then. What’s good for the goose right?

Why not, if you enjoy it? I attended a Buddhist temple for years before eventually taking refuge (formally joining). Generally we are a welcoming bunch. We don't question why anybody is here. If newcomers have questions someone will answer them and show people where to sit and what to do. After the ceremony you will be invited to stay for tea and cake. We regularly have people who just come to see what a Buddhist temple is like. Some have ended up staying. ;)

On 2/14/2019 at 2:18 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

Same reason there are Cultural Jews (I count myself among them) who enjoy the camaraderie and traditions of the holidays and the symbolism and meaningfulness of services, or see religious services and holidays as a way to spend time with their family and community, even if they don't literally believe that there's a shrimp-hating space wizard who made giving birth hurt because a lady took nutrition advice from a reptile. Religion is a part of culture, and that has dimensions far beyond believing a certain thing. 

Also, it's a way to connect with family members who are religious (or remain on good terms with them). And in some communities, it's the ONLY way to remain a part of the community. In some communities, being openly atheist is actually life-threatening. So you get your ass to church or mosque or shul and try to make the best of it. 

I would totally go to the worship house more if the term “shrimp-hating space wizard” was used. 

I went through a multi-year period of spiritual searching. During that time I went to temples, mosques, synagogues, and churches. I was never once turned away for not being a member of the faith practiced there. I came away from that experience with the feeling that most people are more than happy to share their beliefs with an open and questioning mind. If someone gets joy from their religion I can easily see wanting to share that. 

I ended up an atheist, but a very pro-religion one. I don’t have faith, but I’ve seen people who do and it can be quite lovely. 

I'm agnostic, and I go to church on Christmas and Easter, and the services held to honor family members throughout the year... because it is tradition, and I enjoy the singing, and it pleases my family, and the priest is a fantastic speaker and I love hearing what he has to say. This Christmas he discussed the Nativity from the perspective of Mary, an unwed Middle-Easter teenager who wasn't exactly welcomed into polite circles when she was about to give birth.... and he always includes those suffering from mental illness in his prayers, and that they find solace in those who have been trained to help them (NOT just God, though religion can help some people). Even if I don't necessarily believe in everything he says, it makes me happy to go. And to me, that's enough.

I only usually only go to church Christmas and Easter mostly because I do love a church service.  I'd go more often, but the congregation at the local Episcopalian church is very small--so I tend to always stick out as "new".  I don't like that, at all. I have attended Episcopal churches my entire life, and know the history, the prayers etc and don't really need anything explained to me--I just want to worship without socializing.  Kinda strange I know.  Also, that church has recently gotten a new Reverend whom I don't exactly enjoy.  Since I am in a pretty rural area, to visit a different church of the same denomination would mean at least about a half hour drive.  I know, I know--it isn't that far, just far enough to make me not want to walk into a different church and have the "oh you're new here" greeting.  

3 minutes ago, xlurker said:

I just want to worship without socializing.

Slip in right when service is starting, run out right when it ends.

4 minutes ago, xlurker said:

"oh you're new here" greeting.  

My church of five years would do this to me, ugh. I know you can't know everybody, but I was an elder and upfront at the end of each service!

Wow! I am actually v impressed by Jinger, at least as described in @Buzzard's recap! (Will admit to not having seen the source material yet). It sounds like she applied some critical thinking skills to her birthing situation and decided, based on the evidence of her sister's births, to proactively make a change rather than just 'trusting to god's will.' I'm even more impressed that she discussed it with the camera, because the implication is that her sisters' birth plans were perhaps a mistake (gasp!). i HOPE this indicates a change of heart for the whole family and means we have seen the last of the duggar home births. 

1 hour ago, DillyDally said:

So tonight they have an announcement to make... Come on, TLC, surprise us with something new! 

Where did you hear this?

I'm guessing little Jabbie is on the way.

ETA I read the episode description, and am now thinking it will be footage of Siren announcing their pregnancy to the family, since the description for the March 4th episode talks about their grief.

Ugh.

1 hour ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Where did you hear this?

I'm guessing little Jabbie is on the way.

ETA I read the episode description, and am now thinking it will be footage of Siren announcing their pregnancy to the family, since the description for the March 4th episode talks about their grief.

Ugh.

If we really want to know we could ask Pickles I'm sure she knows. ?:smiley-sex007: :pb_lol:

2 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I'm going to be doing the recap live tonight because life got too busy to do it in advance!  I'll post during commercial breaks.

Yasssss I knew i came in here during the show for a reason!!!! (Honestly I would just be in here without the show.

Counting on Episode 2 - Jinger has a baby (and we've already seen almost all of this footage).

At the hospital, jeremy is excited about hospital socks.  He gets in the bed and jokes that its not that bad.  Michelle snaps pictures, Jeremy videos michelle taking pictures.  

Jinger th - I'm doing this to avoid the complications my sister had

Jana th - I was here in texas for Jabbie's proposal and I got a call she was in labor (lies!)

Midwife explains that they're inserting a foley bulb to open up the cervix.

Jeremy prays to keep the baby and jinger safe.  They say they love eachother

JESSA'S HOUSE

She doles out pickles.  Jessa explains that they're headed to texas to "surprise" jinger.  She says that Jinger invited her, but logistically its hard to travel, andt they were just there... but she thought about it and decided she HAD to be there so they're going.

Its been a while since there was a girl and getting the girl clothes for jinger makes er want a girl. She denies she's pregnant.   

Spurgeon hoards balls.  Henry cries.

Jessa - going from 2 to 3 is hard because you're outnumbered.  The baby could come soon, but considering how duggar labors go she has time to get there.  Jinger's body needs to "tone up." 

They get on the plane, spurgeon is watching a phone.  Apparently their arrival is a secret. Spurgeon says "we fly in the sky."

Chicago

Josiah and Lauren are headed to austria.  Lauren's favorite moment of the wedding was the kiss (flashback of the kiss) Josiah's was leaving (flashback).  They get on the plane (in coach).  The squicky pillow is with them.  They're going there becasue she like the sound of music.

They arrive at the hotel, its a pretty big room. Its nice to get away from everyone and not worry about siblings knocking on your door.  They kiss in the threshold.  He apparently snores and rolls around a lot.

TH - advice on the honeymoon

They all giggle

JInger - take pictures

Jessa - have fun

Josiah and Lauren - its nice to be on a bed.

Jeremy - eat good food, relax.

Josiah tells us that he's ready for bed and tomorrow they'll check out sights. 

The thing that bugged me the most, besides the duggers, was the floor at the Austrian hotel. It just bugged me. Like freshly ripped up carpet.

Jinger has a baby, Josiah wanders hills - part 2

(I'm a little in love with the fact that TLC put a preview for a drag queen wedding show "drag me down the aisle" during the duggars)

Jinger is having contactions.  She looks tired. Michelle smiles.  They started pitocin and they're waiting. She does a puzzle with Jana and eats a "snack" (a giant sandiwch).  Jeremy's parents arrive to "wait for jinger to go into labor" (too bad jana already said that happened a day ago.

JInger and the midwife work on the puzzle and jokes.  She's worried she'll wind up with a section.

VIENNA

They're taking a "hot rod" tour.  They're asked if they speak german.  NOPE, NEIN, they made no effort.

They get in "hot rods" which are single driver cars that look like they belong in an amusement park.  Lauren is worried because she has short lefs and cant stop as fast as she'd like.  She's holding the group up.  Josiah takes pics while driving.

(Mr. Buzzard, who speaks fluent german and has been to these cities, is freaking out at what theyre doing.  He hopes they crash)

They are headed to a cafe thats famous for coffee. (Mr buzzard has been here too). They both dont like coffee and they say Lauren has never had coffee.  They cant pronounce the coffee (Mr. buzzard is now yelling at the tv).  The waiter asks them what type of coffee they want, they dont know WTF types of coffee is.  They should have spoken to jinger. (Mr. Buzzard had to leave the room).

They want an americano... Josiah gets something covered in whipped cream. It looks like lauren has tea.  She sniffs it and says it smells like "caramel."  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived